Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

1John 3:9 What does it mean?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I think we have covered this basic principle, but a refresher of the fundamentals is always good. I believe the issue is now, a matter of the fear that if/when we do presently sin, then how can we claim to have Christ? Or to rephrase, the problem is how is it that we could sin if Christ is in us? Wouldn't we then never sin? If so, then none of us would need confess our sins and be cleansed. 1 John 1:9. James 5:16.

The translators of the NIV have tried to convey the meaning of the Greek tenses in this verse, 1 John 3:9 (NIV): 'No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God'.

There is a similar message to this in 1 John 3:6 (NIV), 'No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him'.

The issues from 1 John 3:9 (NIV) are:
  1. We are talking about those who are born again (favourite language of John), those who are 'born of God'. We are talking about Christians who have been changed from the inside by God.
  2. These Christians will not continue to sin as a lifestyle. They cannot go on sinning in that way. The Greek present tense verb indicates continuous action, so the NIV presents an acceptable translation. The thought in this verse is NOT that Christians will never commit acts of sin. It is not saying that born again believers will not sin but that they will not persist in sin.
  3. So, the born again believer cannot live in habitual sin.
  4. BUT, there is the possibility of committing occasional acts of sin - as I can testify. If we commit those acts of sin, 1 John 1:9 (NIV) tells us what we are to do: 'If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness'.
That's my understanding of 1 John 3:9 and the Greek verb used. Also, it makes practical sense. We know from the preceding verse, 1 John 3:8 (ESV) that 'whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil'. In other words, they have not been born of God.

Oz

The translators of the NIV have tried to convey the meaning of the Greek tenses in this verse, 1 John 3:9 (NIV): 'No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God'.

There is a similar message to this in 1 John 3:6 (NIV), 'No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him'.

The issues from 1 John 3:9 (NIV) are:
  1. We are talking about those who are born again (favourite language of John), those who are 'born of God'. We are talking about Christians who have been changed from the inside by God.
  2. These Christians will not continue to sin as a lifestyle. They cannot go on sinning in that way. The Greek present tense verb indicates continuous action, so the NIV presents an acceptable translation. The thought in this verse is NOT that Christians will never commit acts of sin. It is not saying that born again believers will not sin but that they will not persist in sin.
  3. So, the born again believer cannot live in habitual sin.
  4. BUT, there is the possibility of committing occasional acts of sin - as I can testify. If we commit those acts of sin, 1 John 1:9 (NIV) tells us what we are to do: 'If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness'.
That's my understanding of 1 John 3:9 and the Greek verb used. Also, it makes practical sense. We know from the preceding verse, 1 John 3:8 (ESV) that 'whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil'. In other words, they have not been born of God.

Oz
For what it's worth, this was a concise and thorough analysis. I also believe that this change from within happens through a quickening of that which is already there to begin with. Galatians 1:15. Galatians 1:16. 2 Timothy 2:25.

Back