Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study A Disputed Passage in 1 Corinthians

I believe that to be wrong; or at least incomplete. The 5 main ministries of Ephesians 4.11 including pastors and teachers is to equip the saints (everyone who is a believer) for the WORK of service. It is those works of service that Paul is writing about.

This brings to mind the verse that states that we are given a measure of faith.
Romans 12:3
3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. 4For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function,

I understand this to mean that God has given to us the faith necessary (a measure thereof) to do what He intends for us to do. This will be different for each saint.
Each body part has a different function..Romans 12:4

As to Ephsians 4:11
11And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
12for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;

What do you think?
Verse 11 says that we each have a different role: prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers.
Verse 12 says it's for the building up of the Body of Christ.

But 1 Corinthians 3 states that the work is to build US up.
We are the Body, but Corinthians makes it sound more personal.
IOW, if anyone tries to destroy US, individually, their work will be burned up or destroyed.

The difference is whether the Spirit of God inspired those works or if they were done by the person's own volition. The former are the gold silver and precious stones; while the latter are the wood hay and stubble. Take Mother Theresa. Was all of her work with the poor and ill inspired by God, or done out of her own sense of mercy and justice? If it was the latter it will burn.
I don't believe the reason WHY Mother Teresa did her work is important.
I believe the importance is in that she DID IT.
Having proclaimed her faith, all of her works are deemed for God because she is doing it for His glory.

I believe all the work we do, we do for the glory of God and to promote His Kingdom here on earth.
1 Corinthians 10:31
31Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

What exactly are the following verses discussing?

Some take them to mean that OUR work will be judged,
and even if it is judged to be unworthy, IT (our work) will be burned up,
but WE will just make it through to heaven.

OR

Is it discussing the ministry of teaching/preaching that Paul and Apollos undertook?

Thanks.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 Corinthians 3:4-17 NASB

Paul is pointing to your first idea, that our works are going to be judged, and basically if our foundation laid by our works aligns with God and His Word, then a reward is forthcoming. But if the judged works lay any other foundation than Christ, then it will be burned up, even though the believer will be saved (because of their Faith).

Per 2 Peter 3:10 on the last day of this world, called "the day of the Lord", ALL... of man's works are going to be burned off this earth. God is going to cleanse the surface of this earth like He did with the flood, except this next time, on the last day, it will be by His consuming fire (see end of Hebrews 12 also).

I don't believe the reason WHY Mother Teresa did her work is important.
I believe the importance is in that she DID IT.
Having proclaimed her faith, all of her works are deemed for God because she is doing it for His glory.
This is the New Covenant. The "why" is always as important as the "what." Often moreso.
I believe all the work we do, we do for the glory of God and to promote His Kingdom here on earth.
1 Corinthians 10:31
31Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
That is a command that we are to do all to His Glory, not that everything we do falls into that category.

I seriously dislike anything that takes us hearing HIS Spirit directing us out of the equation. What is God telling you PERSONALLY to do?

The OP
“What exactly are the following verses discussing?

OR

Is it discussing the ministry of teaching/preaching that Paul and Apollos undertook?””
…….
We are men ( to our detriment usually)
And
Jesus works in us to accomplish the will of God.

So: we are IMHO bi-polar
A man side that will be changed at the last trump.
We were under the dominion of sf sin. Sin has lost its dominion over us who believe in the work of Jesus, but on occasion we still sin.

The good work in us is the work of Jesus, and not us.

We are changed, but not totally changed till the resurrection.

Just trying to help. I thought the Galatians 2:20 went back to the OP.

eddif
Yes...we are bi-polar.
But thanks be to God that we are no longer under the slavery of sin.

I don't think Galatians 2:20 goes to the O.P.
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

IOW, what is the work that is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 3:1-16?
Who is doing the work?
And to whom is it being done?

Here are my answers...see if you agree:

The work mentioned is the building of God's church...US...we are THE TEMPLE. Verse 16.
The work is being done by Paul and Apollos and any other teacher/preacher that will come along in the future.
The work is being done to us...Paul and Apollos have laid the foundation which is Jesus...those that come after them
must build upon that work...(the building of God's church...US...since we are the temple).

Ok, now you lost me, LoL.
This is what I stated:
I agree, this passage is speaking of right now.
However, the judging of the works will be on the last day...
and the judging will be on those that taught, or in some respect built the house of God and it's occupants (us).
This is clear in verse 16...WE are the Temple of God, and no man should destroy the temple of God.

The right now part that Paul is speaking of is his and Apollo's building on the foundation to build God's church,
us.

The judging of these works will be on the last day which is spoken of in verse 13 of 1 Cor 3.
It states that the work WILL BECOME evident...that is future, the judgement day.

1And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men? 4For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?
5What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. 6I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. 8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

16Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

The work is happening at present...
The judging is in the future.

Paul is pointing to your first idea, that our works are going to be judged, and basically if our foundation laid by our works aligns with God and His Word, then a reward is forthcoming. But if the judged works lay any other foundation than Christ, then it will be burned up, even though the believer will be saved (because of their Faith).

Per 2 Peter 3:10 on the last day of this world, called "the day of the Lord", ALL... of man's works are going to be burned off this earth. God is going to cleanse the surface of this earth like He did with the flood, except this next time, on the last day, it will be by His consuming fire (see end of Hebrews 12 also).
I used to agree with you but after reading it carefully and discussing here on this forum a few years ago, I came to change my mind.

Look again please: Is it OUR works that are going to be judged or those of the persons that build upon the foundation of Christ as Paul and Apollos were doing?

WE are what is being built upon...we are not doing the building.

I believe it's specifically referring to those that will continue the building upon the foundation of Christ in the future.
James 3:1
Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we shall incur a stricter judgment.

This is the New Covenant. The "why" is always as important as the "what." Often moreso.

That is a command that we are to do all to His Glory, not that everything we do falls into that category.

I seriously dislike anything that takes us hearing HIS Spirit directing us out of the equation. What is God telling you PERSONALLY to do?
I had stated that what we do as good works/deeds are all important and are all to God's glory, there are a few verse on this. Here's another one:
Titus 3:14
And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.

Your reply states that this is the New Covenant and the WHY is always important.
Could you please expound on this?
What does the NC have to do with our works?

It seems to me that every good deed we do is to the glory of God.

As to your second question:
God is telling me to behave (to the best of my ability) as a member of His Kingdom here on earth.
This is more of an attitude than it is of a task...I feel that everything I do is for God and that He helps me to do it.

This is what I stated:
I agree, this passage is speaking of right now.
and the judging will be on those that taught, or in some respect built the house of God and it's occupants (us).
This is clear in verse 16...WE are the Temple of God, and no man should destroy the temple of God.

The right now part that Paul is speaking of is his and Apollo's building on the foundation to build God's church,
us.

The judging of these works will be on the last day which is spoken of in verse 13 of 1 Cor 3.
It states that the work WILL BECOME evident...that is future, the judgement day.

1And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men? 4For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?
5What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. 6I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. 8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

16Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

The work is happening at present...
The judging is in the future.

I see. Thanks for explaining. I still hold that the day in which their works "will become evident" may be whenever such works came under scrutiny from the Spirit of God, such as referred to in 1 Corinthians 11:30. But I do have to admit that the passage has a strong eschatological tone to it (especially since they were expecting his return soon), since it uses words like "the Day ... fire ... reward... saved," etc. So I may have to take another look at it in context again and see if I read a little too much into it.

God bless,
- H

I used to agree with you but after reading it carefully and discussing here on this forum a few years ago, I came to change my mind.

Look again please: Is it OUR works that are going to be judged or those of the persons that build upon the foundation of Christ as Paul and Apollos were doing?

WE are what is being built upon...we are not doing the building.

I believe it's specifically referring to those that will continue the building upon the foundation of Christ in the future.
James 3:1
Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we shall incur a stricter judgment.
I fail to see it any other way than our works being judged by fire; kept if they align with Christ, burned up if they don't.

Can that mean we plant future foundations in Christ, continuing to do His Word as His stewards and servants? Yes! of course. Yet some are not... doing that, but only claim they are, and instead are using Him to try and build their 'own' foundations. Those Lord Jesus showed in John 10, and called them 'hirelings'. So there's an example of what I'm saying.

Your reply states that this is the New Covenant and the WHY is always important.
Could you please expound on this?
What does the NC have to do with our works?
Everything. What is done must - per the New Covenant - be done in faith. The Mosaic covenant mostly dealt with external actions. Our Lord changed that, starting with the Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5-6) where he equated lust in the heart with adultery and anger with murder. He was starting to address the "why" as much as the "what."

In the NC we are told that anything (even seeming great things) not done in faith is sin. Rom 14.28b So how do we get that kind of faith? It comes from hearing God speak to us. Rom 10.17. Not obvious in the English translation is the fact that "word" in that verse is rhema - a spoken word. Not a written word.
It seems to me that every good deed we do is to the glory of God.
Only if God told you to do that good deed. Otherwise it is sin.

Romans 14:23b
... whatever is not from faith is sin.

Everything. What is done must - per the New Covenant - be done in faith. The Mosaic covenant mostly dealt with external actions. Our Lord changed that, starting with the Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5-6) where he equated lust in the heart with adultery and anger with murder. He was starting to address the "why" as much as the "what."

In the NC we are told that anything (even seeming great things) not done in faith is sin. Rom 14.28b So how do we get that kind of faith? It comes from hearing God speak to us. Rom 10.17. Not obvious in the English translation is the fact that "word" in that verse is rhema - a spoken word. Not a written word.

Only if God told you to do that good deed. Otherwise it is sin.

Romans 14:23b
... whatever is not from faith is sin.
How could a good work be sin?
I respect your knowledge and opinion, but it seems to me that Jesus taught that our good works will be judged .
John 5:28
Matthew 25

OK on the New Covenant.

I believe you've taken Romans 14 out of context.
It's speaking about not judging others based on the faith they have and what they believe to be correct in keeping the law. Did you post the correct verse?

I respect your knowledge and opinion, but it seems to me that Jesus taught that our good works will be judged .
Matthew 25

OK on the New Covenant.

It's speaking about not judging others based on the faith they have and what they believe to be correct in keeping the law. Did you post the correct verse?
Some folks simply misunderstand the Biblical usage of the word 'judge'. It does not always mean a judgment to condemnation. It can also mean a judgment for rewards.

Some folks simply misunderstand the Biblical usage of the word 'judge'. It does not always mean a judgment to condemnation. It can also mean a judgment for rewards.
I agree.
But John 5:28 mentions both types of judgment...
And Jesus spoke of works throughout His ministry.

The Beatitudes teach us a behavioral attitude.
Jesus did not make a list of things to do or not to do, He taught an attitude that we should have so it could be applied to any situation.

This also refers back to the New Covenant...

Matthew 25
"Good works" can be a sin if we are doing the WRONG "good works." When our kids were younger and at home, we had 3 girls almost the same age (less than 2 years span) I would give each one a task and they were not supposed to do someone else's tasks.

Is your good work actually the job of someone else?

OK on the New Covenant.

It is talking (that passage directly, not the whole chapter) about eating food without faith. Is there anything wrong with eating food? Of course not. But if it is not done in faith, it is sinful.

Rom 14:21
It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

Everything in the NC is on the basis of faith.

Last edited:
"Good works" can be a sin if we are doing the WRONG "good works." When our kids were younger and at home, we had 3 girls almost the same age (less than 2 years span) I would give each one a task and they were not supposed to do someone else's tasks.

Is your good work actually the job of someone else?

I don't even know what you mean by the above!
If a sister helped another sister do some work of hers, I would think this is a good thing and shows that they love each other and are willing to help each other. I would think that this is a good trait and will train them to be helpful toward each other when they are older.

Of course, as parents we each believe some different aspect of character is important and we should respect each other's ideas. Also, different techniques should be used according to the personality of each child...what worked with my son did not work with my daughter.

Where in the N.T. does it state we're not supposed to do each other's work?
When Jesus taught, He meant what He said for each one of us.
The N.T. does teach that we each have a different job to do for God....
maybe for some it's raising a family, or teaching our faith, or helping the poor in some special way...etc.
This does not mean I can't share my faith with kids in one way or another or that I cannot help some poor person/family in some way, even though this may not be my calling.

I think you're speaking more about a CALLING than doing good works...

It is talking (that passage directly, not the whole chapter) about eating food without faith. Is there anything wrong with eating food? Of course not. But if it is not done in faith, it is sinful.

Rom 14:21
It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

Everything in the NC is on the basis of faith.
Romans 14:21 is speaking about our conscience and how something to one person may be a sin when it will not be sinful for another person.
Each must do what he believes to be right if it is not prohibited.
Verses 2 - 4

We are free to worship on the day of our choice...or we may believe we should hold holy every day..again, as our conscience tells us.
Verse 5

WHATEVER we do, we should do it for God's sake, as our conscience dictates (of course if it is based on biblical principles). In this way Paul says we are free from the Law. (ceremonial law).
Verses 6-9

We should concentrate on what we do for God and not bother ourselves criticizing others or judging them.
Verses 13-14

Let's get along and help each other with encouraging words. Do nothing to hinder a brother in Christ.
Verses 19-21

Nowhere in the above verses do I read anything about NOT helping each other and doing only our own work/good deeds.

No man is an island.
No man stands alone.
Jesus said we are to love each other as He loves us...this would include sharing our good works. (when possible).

Could you see this scripture applying to this thread.
Isaiah 45:9 kjv
9. Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?

Or this scripture applying:
Hebrews 11:8 kjv
8. By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
9.By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
10. for he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

The search is for who gets credit for works.
Hebrews 3:1 kjv
1. Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
2. Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.

Does the architect or worker get credit for the house?

Was it Moses ? Did he get instructions on a mountain?

Symbolism is rough to deal with. I can’t walk and chew gum at the same time,

Mississippi redneck
eddif

What exactly are the following verses discussing?

OR

Is it discussing the ministry of teaching/preaching that Paul and Apollos undertook?

Thanks.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 Corinthians 3:4-17 NASB

4For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?
5What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one.
6I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth.
7So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.
8Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.
10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.
14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
BTW KJV has verse 17 as "if any man defiles the temple of God.." is why God will destroy him; his physical body by physical death in verses 16-17 for why his spirit is still saved in verse 15. But this judgment comes in that day in verse 13 for when God as the Bridegroom, will judge His House first at the rapture event; 1 Peter 4:17

ANYWAY; After debasing himself and all others that Paul is nothing but God who causes the increase, it cannot be in regards to what Paul is teaching or preaching or any one else's teaching or preaching.

This is about what the individual believer has done in living his reconciled life with Christ whether he sows to the works of the flesh in reaping corruption or sows to the fruits of the Spirit, putting confidence in Jesus Christ to finish His work in them to His glory Philippians 1:6 as all the fruits of righteousness are by Jesus Christ Philippians 1:11 thus looking to the author & finisher of our faith to help him lay aside every weight & sin to be accepted by Him.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Romans 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

So what we did in according to our body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit will be judged.

Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man:....

Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

So heresy can deny Him and not just a former believe denying Him verbally, but guess what? that foundation remains, but only the works on it will get burned up for why they are still His and thus still saved.

Believers not found abiding in Him & His words will be cut off; note verse 6 in John 15:1-8 & Luke 12:40-49 We can see this warning of saved believers being left behind below for not repenting.

Revelation 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. 24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

So those who die per 1 Corinthians 3:16-17, their spirits will be with the Lord 1 Corinthians 3:15 in that day 1 Corinthians 3;12.

2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) 8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Best look to Jesus Christ, the author & finisher of our faith to help us lays aside every weight & sin daily as we are laboring to be accepted by the Bridegroom for why we are even to call former believers to depart from iniquity too.

2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Hopefully we and others will be accepted by Him as that vessel unto honor in His House which is the eternal glory that comes with our salvation in Christ Jesus as He still does abide in former believers as 2 Timothy 2:13 testifies below for why they should be called to depart from iniquity too or else be forever "damned" as vessels unto dishonor in His House, but still in His House to testify to the power of God in salvation for all those that believe even in His name..

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

BTW KJV has verse 17 as "if any man defiles the temple of God.." is why God will destroy him; his physical body by physical death in verses 16-17 for why his spirit is still saved in verse 15. But this judgment comes in that day in verse 13 for when God as the Bridegroom, will judge His House first at the rapture event; 1 Peter 4:17

ANYWAY; After debasing himself and all others that Paul is nothing but God who causes the increase, it cannot be in regards to what Paul is teaching or preaching or any one else's teaching or preaching.

This is about what the individual believer has done in living his reconciled life with Christ whether he sows to the works of the flesh in reaping corruption or sows to the fruits of the Spirit, putting confidence in Jesus Christ to finish His work in them to His glory Philippians 1:6 as all the fruits of righteousness are by Jesus Christ Philippians 1:11 thus looking to the author & finisher of our faith to help him lay aside every weight & sin to be accepted by Him.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Romans 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

So what we did in according to our body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit will be judged.

Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man:....

Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

So heresy can deny Him and not just a former believe denying Him verbally, but guess what? that foundation remains, but only the works on it will get burned up for why they are still His and thus still saved.

Believers not found abiding in Him & His words will be cut off; note verse 6 in John 15:1-8 & Luke 12:40-49 We can see this warning of saved believers being left behind below for not repenting.

Revelation 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. 24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

So those who die per 1 Corinthians 3:16-17, their spirits will be with the Lord 1 Corinthians 3:15 in that day 1 Corinthians 3;12.

2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) 8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Best look to Jesus Christ, the author & finisher of our faith to help us lays aside every weight & sin daily as we are laboring to be accepted by the Bridegroom for why we are even to call former believers to depart from iniquity too.

2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Hopefully we and others will be accepted by Him as that vessel unto honor in His House which is the eternal glory that comes with our salvation in Christ Jesus as He still does abide in former believers as 2 Timothy 2:13 testifies below for why they should be called to depart from iniquity too or else be forever "damned" as vessels unto dishonor in His House, but still in His House to testify to the power of God in salvation for all those that believe even in His name..

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
This is a great post G, just, I think, that this is not what 1 Corinthians 3 is about.

You have company on here, you're not alone.
It's just that I can't see this and your verses aren't going to help any.

I'm going to post 1 Cor 3:8-16 from The Living Bible (I've read it in many different versions and I get the same result).

8 Apollos and I are working as a team, with the same aim, though each of us will be rewarded for his own hard work.
Paul and Apollos will be rewarded for their work. This entire section speaks about THEIR work, which was a ministry of teaching.
9 We are only God’s coworkers. You are God’s garden, not ours; you are God’s building, not ours.
The people they taught were God's garden.

10 God, in his kindness, has taught me how to be an expert builder. I have laid the foundation and Apollos has built on it. But he who builds on the foundation must be very careful.
Paul has laid the foundation, Apollos has built on it.

The one who builds must be very careful. Paul is speaking about those that build on the foundation---
ministers/preachers/teachers.
11 And no one can ever lay any other real foundation than that one we already have—Jesus Christ.
Who else will be laying the foundation but those that minister/preach/teach.
12 But there are various kinds of materials that can be used to build on that foundation. Some use gold and silver and jewels; and some build with sticks and hay or even straw!
Again, WHO is doing the building? WE are the ones being built upon -- God's garden.
Paul and Apollos were DOING the building. Ministers/preachers/teachers.

13 There is going to come a time of testing at Christ’s Judgment Day to see what kind of material each builder has used. Everyone’s work will be put through the fire so that all can see whether or not it keeps its value, and what was really accomplished.
The BUILDERS will be judged at Christ's judgment Day to see what type of material they used...to see how well they ministered/preached/taught.
14 Then every workman who has built on the foundation with the right materials, and whose work still stands, will get his pay.
Again, this is speaking about the WORKMAN who built on the foundation and how well he built.
15 But if the house he has built burns up, he will have a great loss. He himself will be saved, but like a man escaping through a wall of flames.
Who is building on the foundation? See verses 10 - 12.
And Who is the house? (we are, those being taught).

16 Don’t you realize that all of you together are the house of God, and that the Spirit of God lives among you in his house?
WE are the house of God that is being built...WE are not doing the building.

Could you just read this one more time and see if you can understand it differently?
If not, no problem. I'm stopping here.

Back