Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Another Gospel?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
There are a whole bunch of problems with this post, Robert.

The law said that we are to love the Old Testament God with our whole heart, mind, soul and strength, and Jesus confirmed this to be the greatest commandment, so it should not be taught that we no longer need to submit to God's laws. If we do, we will see no need to obey Him in the things most important to Him, and can be assured of nothing when that is the case.

God bless,
Hidden
Christians are not under laws or rules. Because "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Jesus nailed the law to his cross, Colossians 2:14. I believe the scriptures. What do you believe?

Christians are not under laws or rules. Because "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Jesus nailed the law to his cross, Colossians 2:14. I believe the scriptures. What do you believe?

I believe we need to love God, as the law commands and as Jesus testified to. Why are you asking me something that should be obvious to you from what I already posted? And why do you think loving God is no longer a commandment we should be abiding by?

Answer both.

The just shall live by faith because there is no other way to live than by faith.

The law has been fulfilled and abolished, Romans 10:4. Jesus has atoned for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. What's left? There is nothing left for us to do than to live by faith in Christ and his Gospel. We have been made free from the law and religion, Galatians 5:1-4.

In Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed and now stand before God as perfect and complete "In Christ", Colossians 2:10. Spiritually, we are "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven. Jesus has made us acceptable to God, Ephesians 1:6.

Everyone that believes this Gospel have entered into his rest. They have ceased from their own works (religion) and are resting in his works, Hebrews 4:10. This is why the just (justified) shall live by faith, Romans 1:17.
Keep in mind that "we have ceased from our own works, sin, too."

I believe we need to love God, as the law commands and as Jesus testified to. Why are you asking me something that should be obvious to you from what I already posted? And why do you think loving God is no longer a commandment we should be abiding by?

Answer both.
If you need to be commanded to love the Lord what is that worth? We love the Lord because he is kind, loving and just. Not because we are commanded to. All that are indwelt with the Holy Spirit will love the Lord. We love him because he first loved us, 1 John 4:19.

The just shall live by faith because there is no other way to live than by faith.

The law has been fulfilled and abolished, Romans 10:4. Jesus has atoned for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. What's left? There is nothing left for us to do than to live by faith in Christ and his Gospel. We have been made free from the law and religion, Galatians 5:1-4.

In Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed and now stand before God as perfect and complete "In Christ", Colossians 2:10. Spiritually, we are "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven. Jesus has made us acceptable to God, Ephesians 1:6.

Everyone that believes this Gospel have entered into his rest. They have ceased from their own works (religion) and are resting in his works, Hebrews 4:10. This is why the just (justified) shall live by faith, Romans 1:17.
What better to live for? Faith is the basis for hope.

If you need to be commanded to love the Lord what is that worth? We love the Lord because he is kind, loving and just. Not because we are commanded to. All that are indwelt with the Holy Spirit will love the Lord. We love him because he first loved us, 1 John 4:19.

Robert, to teach that there are no longer any commandments, and Christians simply are what they are, runs completely contrary to both the Gospels and the epistles. If it were simply a matter of "be indwell by the Holy Spirit," there would be one admonition and one admonition only, but there is not.

Paul makes it clear that salvation is not by works, nor is it by obedience to the law. If it is not by works or obedience to the law, then it can only be by faith and by faith alone.

??? Salvation is what God does for us. Through Christ, He saves us. We must know and accept that this is so, and exercise trust in Christ as our Savior and Lord, but the saving of us is entirely God's doing.

If a man has a cancerous tumor removed from his brain by a surgeon, has his acceptance of the fact that he has a tumor, and his trust in the surgeon to remove it, been the means of his being saved from the effects of the tumor? Or is it, finally, the work of the surgeon that saves him? The diseased man can accept his cancer diagnosis and believe the surgeon can remove it from his body all he likes, but if he doesn't ever get on the operating table and receive the life-giving work of the surgeon, he will surely die. By what, then, is the man truly saved? By his accepting that he is sick and needs a surgeon? By his trusting in the surgeon to successfully remove his tumor? No. Only by the work of the surgeon - a work to which the dying man cannot contribute in the slightest - is he saved from the deadly effect of his tumor.

Likewise, the sinner who accepts that he is desperately sin-sick and in need of the healing work of the Great Physician and believes that the Great Physician can save him from his spiritual "disease," in the end can only receive from the Great Physician his saving work. What, then, of making one's faith the linch-pin of one's salvation? Is it really the crucial key to being saved? No. Salvation is not the act of believing, it is not faith exercised in the right thing, but a Person, Jesus Christ, in whom we obtain eternal, spiritual life. He is my salvation.

John 1:4, 12.
John 10:7-10.
John 14:6.
Acts 4:12.
1 Timothy 2:5.
1 John 5:11-12.

Robert, to teach that there are no longer any commandments, and Christians simply are what they are, runs completely contrary to both the Gospels and the epistles. If it were simply a matter of "be indwell by the Holy Spirit," there would be one admonition and one admonition only, but there is not.
Those that need laws, rules and religion most likely are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Christians guide and keeper, not the law, John 16:13-14.

??? Salvation is what God does for us. Through Christ, He saves us. We must know and accept that this is so, and exercise trust in Christ as our Savior and Lord, but the saving of us is entirely God's doing.

If a man has a cancerous tumor removed from his brain by a surgeon, has his acceptance of the fact that he has a tumor, and his trust in the surgeon to remove it, been the means of his being saved from the effects of the tumor? Or is it, finally, the work of the surgeon that saves him? The diseased man can accept his cancer diagnosis and believe the surgeon can remove it from his body all he likes, but if he doesn't ever get on the operating table and receive the life-giving work of the surgeon, he will surely die. By what, then, is the man truly saved? By his accepting that he is sick and needs a surgeon? By his trusting in the surgeon to successfully remove his tumor? No. Only by the work of the surgeon - a work to which the dying man cannot contribute in the slightest - is he saved from the deadly effect of his tumor.

Likewise, the sinner who accepts that he is desperately sin-sick and in need of the healing work of the Great Physician and believes that the Great Physician can save him from his spiritual "disease," in the end can only receive from the Great Physician his saving work. What, then, of making one's faith the linch-pin of one's salvation? Is it really the crucial key to being saved? No. Salvation is not the act of believing, it is not faith exercised in the right thing, but a Person, Jesus Christ, in whom we obtain eternal, spiritual life. He is my salvation.

John 1:4, 12.
John 10:7-10.
John 14:6.
Acts 4:12.
1 Timothy 2:5.
1 John 5:11-12.
While Jesus was on the earth in his human form God remained in heaven. God is not the savior; Jesus is the one that provided salvation for fallen man. It is not good theology to attribute to the Father that which was accomplished by the Son.

Sin is not a spiritual disease. Sin is rebellion against God. Faith does not save us; faith is what makes the Gospel ours. No one will be saved without faith in Christ.

While Jesus was on the earth in his human form God remained in heaven. God is not the savior; Jesus is the one that provided salvation for fallen man. It is not good theology to attribute to the Father that which was accomplished by the Son.

???

1 Timothy 1:1
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope,

Titus 3:4-6
4 But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared,
5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,
6 whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,

In any case, your remark above deflects from the point I made in my last post: Salvation is a Person, not the exercise of the sinner's faith in the right direction.

Sin is not a spiritual disease. Sin is rebellion against God. Faith does not save us; faith is what makes the Gospel ours. No one will be saved without faith in Christ.

Sin as a "disease" is an obviously metaphorical idea, not a literal one.

Correct, faith doesn't save us; our salvation is in the work and Person of Jesus Christ. And, yes, if one doesn't trust in him to save them, they cannot be saved. This makes the question of "faith alone," though, somewhat tangential to the matter of salvation, it seems to me. Besides, the Bible is crystal clear that our good deeds have nothing to do with the saving work of Jesus.

Ephesians 2:8-9.
2 Timothy 1:9.
Titus 3:5-7.

Paul wrote to the Galatians, "I marvel that you are soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another Gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the Gospel of Christ. But though we or an angel from heaven, preach any other Gospel unto you than what we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other Gospel unto you than what you have received, let him be accursed, Galatians 1:6-9.

There is only one Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Paul said, "For by grace (God's goodness) are you saved through faith; and not that of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" Ephesians 2:8-9.

In Ephesians 2:8-9, Paul eliminated works as a means of salvation. The reason that salvation is not by works is because it is the gift of God. A gift cannot be earned or deserved otherwise it is not a gift. Some will say that the word "Grace" in this scripture means the grace of Christ. The word grace in this scripture means the grace of God. God was gracious in that he sent his Son to be the savior of the world, John 3:17.

Paul said, "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Paul makes it clear that salvation is not by works, nor is it by obedience to the law. If it is not by works or obedience to the law, then it can only be by faith and by faith alone.
One Gospel Mr. Pate; you know that. The Gospel of the Kingdom of GOD.
How've you been?

Those that need laws, rules and religion most likely are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Christians guide and keeper, not the law, John 16:13-14.

The Holy Spirit enables one to keep the law so that even Gentiles become a law unto themselves. Those who despise the law are those who do not have the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit enables one to keep the law so that even Gentiles become a law unto themselves. Those who despise the law are those who do not have the Holy Spirit.
No one can keep the law. The law is the nature and character of God. The only one that Kept the law was Jesus Christ.

Jesus can't keep the law even today? And if Jesus can keep the law, is He within us or is He not?
Jesus was the law of God incarnate in human flesh, Romans 3:21.

Jesus indwells believers by the Holy Spirit. But believers do not possess the virtues of Christ. Christians are sinners saved by grace, Romans 5:8.

Just before Jesus ascended into heaven he gave some last instructions to the apostles

According to Matthew and Mark he said "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you" and "He who believes and is baptized will be saved;"

According to Robert Pate he said "I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that the gospel I have been teaching you for 3 years is wrong so forget it. And don't baptise - it so OT. The good news is that in a few years I will send a man called Paul to you to teach you the correct gospel".
well said,

Amen.

The law is the law of faith, not the Mosaic law.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

That is why, whatsoever is not of faith is sin. ( not believing in Christ we die in our sins/doubt and we are damned.)

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Back