Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Are Christians to keep the Sabbath?

'Are Christians to keep the Sabbath?'

Luke 13:15
“You on the Sabbath loose ox or ass from the stall [‘stall’, ‘phatneh’ - “inner temple†‘most holy place’ place of starving to DEATH, the GRAVE; Ezekiel 41:15,20 2Chronicles 4:22 29:16 1Kings 6:27 LXX. Hebrew’ hekal’; ‘penimi hekal’.

Matthew 12:11,12
“And He said unto them, What Man must come among you Who has but one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the Sabbath Day, WILL HE NOT LAY HOLD ON IT AND LIFT IT OUT? How much then is [that] Man better than (his) sheep?â€

Luke emphasises salvation out of sin’s death; Matthew redemption from death and grave— both by the power of His Resurrection … on the Sabbath’s Rest Day of the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY.

Luke 13:15
“You on the Sabbath loose ox or ass from the stall [‘stall’, ‘phatneh’ - “inner temple†‘most holy place’ place of starving to DEATH, the GRAVE; Ezekiel 41:15,20 2Chronicles 4:22 29:16 1Kings 6:27 LXX. Hebrew’ hekal’; ‘penimi hekal’.

Matthew 12:11,12
“And He said unto them, What Man must come among you Who has but one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the Sabbath Day, WILL HE NOT LAY HOLD ON IT AND LIFT IT OUT? How much then is [that] Man better than (his) sheep?â€

Luke emphasises salvation out of sin’s death; Matthew redemption from death and grave— both by the power of His Resurrection … on the Sabbath’s Rest Day of the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY.

LUKE: 13:15-16 KJV

15 The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? 16 And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?

Many of those who were present that very morning led an ox or an ass to water, and did not think of violating the Sabbath, but they were growling at Jesus for healing this ill woman on the Sabbath.

If they could lead an animal to water without breaking the Sabbath law, why couldn't Jesus heal this woman without breaking the Sabbath law? Why should they criticize Jesus for doing such an act of mercy to this unfortunate woman, when they had done a less merciful act to one of the lower animals?

MATTHEW: 12:11-12 KJV
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? 12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

The scribes and Pharisees, from this time forward, plot to destroy Jesus. They watch him in order to find a reason for bringing accusations against him; they seek to take advantage of the public assembly in the synagogue by asking the question. They cared but little at this time for any knowledge or instruction; they cared but little for this afflicted man; they cared more for an occasion to accuse Jesus than for anything else. Mark records that "when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved at the hardening of their heart." This is the only record of an instance where Jesus is said to have been moved "with anger" or righteous indignation. The attitude of the minds of his accusers was peculiar and strange; they did not doubt that he would work a miracle; they expected it; but they are intending to make out that his miracles are contrary to the law of God, and are in contradiction to the will of God. Jesus presented an argument, that if they would labor on the Sabbath to save the life of an animal, could not he save life and do good to men? In making the argument Jesus asked, "What man shall there be of you, that shall have one sheep, and if this fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?" Questions of this sort are put in the form of an argument. They allowed animals to be watered, lifted out of pits and other things on the Sabbath. Jesus then points his argument with this statement, "How much then is a man of more value than a sheep!" By this simple and natural exclamation, which all present, who were perhaps mostly villagers of Galilee, and owned sheep, had often had occasion to consider this doubt in accidents happening. Jesus showed every one of them that it was a law impressed on their very consciences, and practically allowed by them, that it was pleasing to God, to do good at all times, and to place charity above ceremonial observances.

When a miracle follows a doctrine as it does in this case, it becomes a proof of what was before said. Jesus did not labor on the Sabbath; it was easy for him to speak the word and restore the withered hand. The Pharisees could not claim that a word is unlawful labor; Jesus showed himself to have divine power to sustain his claim to the Lord of the Sabbath. The man to be healed believed that Jesus had power, as he obeyed at once. Instead of rejoicing with the man who was healed, "the Pharisees went out, and took counsel against him, how they might destroy him." They were determined not to admit the defense which they could not rebuke, and were bent upon using the act to charge Jesus' miracles to the power of Satan.

We see here these Pharisees, sticklers for the law of Moses, get together with the politicians in order to accomplish their evil intentions against Jesus.

GE:

I am showing you where it _was_ observed and feasted in Christ, "Sabbaths' Feast".

Paul showed you that ... in Colossians 2.

It is only one of many places.

Take it or leave it ... what would it concern me?

Col 2:16 KJV

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Let no man therefore judge you—Since the old covenant was nailed to the cross of Christ, and was made invalid, he tells them they are not binding on the saints, and they were not to be judged for neglecting them.

in meat, or in drink, This refers to ceremonial and doubtless extremely rigid requirements as to clean and unclean food and drink. Whether a man eats or drinks or not his conduct in this respect supplies no fit ground for a judgment of him.

or in respect of a feast day or a new moon—Christians should not permit themselves to be bound to Jewish festivals in their worship of God; neither to the great annual feasts. The claims of these observances were greatly exaggerated and tested fellowship.

or a sabbath day:—[The sabbath means rest, and was a shadow of the rest which believers have in Christ. "For we who have believed do enter into that rest... . There remaineth a sabbath rest for the people of God... . Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, that no man fall after the same example of disobedience." Heb. 4:3-11. The seventh day was the Sabbath or rest of God in creation, and was afterwards given to the Israelites. But since Christ has come, this typical rest cannot be kept without ignoring him as our rest. The Sabbath of the Israelites is past, and the first day of the week has begun. On the first day of the week the believer stops his daily work, but it is that he may honor Christ by his spiritual service. The first day of the week should never be called a Sabbath, because it is neither true nor appropriate "to so name his resurrection day."

Last edited by a moderator:

What was it for Jesus to do good on the Sabbath Day?

It was to do the will of God and do the work his Father gave Him to WORK.

“My Father works unto this day; and I.â€

What was Christ’s WORK?

“Thou shalt surely die!†and surely died man death that day and by one man death to all men came. Christ’s work was to WIN BACK that life; and to begin He began with Himself whereby all men over whom death by the power of his Resurrection shall have no power, “are co-raised together with Him … THEREFORE don’t you allow anyone condemn you in regard to your Sabbath’s Feast of Christ, the Substance … and Nourishment ministered.â€

Now isn’t it ironic all claim Jesus could restore life for others on the Sabbath and obey the Law; but would take up his own life on the Sabbath and break the Law.

or a sabbath day:—[The sabbath means rest, and was a shadow of the rest which believers have in Christ.

GE:

Quote: "the sabbath ..." =, quote, "... day".

Correct.

Quote: "the sabbath ..." quote, "... means ...", quote, "... rest".

Dichotomy.

Hebrews 4:4, "_THE DAY_ the Seventh Day" - LIKE IN THE LAW -, "THE DAY the Seventh Day-Sabbath-of-the-LORD GOD".

Consistency.

What was it for Jesus to do good on the Sabbath Day?

It was to do the will of God and do the work his Father gave Him to WORK.

“My Father works unto this day; and I.”

What was Christ’s WORK?

“Thou shalt surely die!” and surely died man death that day and by one man death to all men came. Christ’s work was to WIN BACK that life; and to begin He began with Himself whereby all men over whom death by the power of his Resurrection shall have no power, “are co-raised together with Him … THEREFORE don’t you allow anyone condemn you in regard to your Sabbath’s Feast of Christ, the Substance … and Nourishment ministered.”

Now isn’t it ironic all claim Jesus could restore life for others on the Sabbath and obey the Law; but would take up his own life on the Sabbath and break the Law.

Jesus did not take his own life, he was crucified.

GE:

Quote: "the sabbath ..." =, quote, "... day".

Correct.

Quote: "the sabbath ..." quote, "... means ...", quote, "... rest".

Dichotomy.

Hebrews 4:4, "_THE DAY_ the Seventh Day" - LIKE IN THE LAW -, "THE DAY the Seventh Day-Sabbath-of-the-LORD GOD".

Consistency.

Heb 4:4-5 KJV

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

For he spake, etc.—The allusion here is to Gen 2:2 and the object of the Apostle in referring to it, is to show further what he has spoken in the previous verse. He clearly states that the sabbatical rest was instituted by God, at the close of the Adamic renovation, when on the seventh day "he rested from all his works which he had made." And hence it follows, as before stated, that this rest cannot be identical with that from which a whole generation of the Israelites were forever excluded.

5 And in this place again, He shows first by referring to Gen 2:2 that the sabbatical rest was started from the foundation of the world, when God had finished the work of creation.

What law did he break? the new covenant began when he died, not when he resurrected. (must not be a sabbath then).

Hebrews 9:17 (KJV)
For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Let no man therefore judge you—Since the old covenant was nailed to the cross of Christ, and was made invalid, he tells them they are not binding on the saints, and they were not to be judged for neglecting them.

GE:

Very strange, I find in my Bible, this that you wrote, "Let no man therefore judge you" ---

But try as I may, my Bible just does not have where Paul tells them "they are not binding on the saints, and they were not to be judged for neglecting them". I checked up the Textus Receptus; and I checked up Nestle Aland, but not one of the two have it.

Also the REASON you aver, namely, "Since the old covenant was nailed to the cross of Christ, and was made invalid" – as though it is Paul's reason for having said, "THEREFORE do not you let yourselves be judged" –, I simply cannot find anywhere near, or far in the text.

Mind to share your sacred source with me?

The reason why Paul said, "Don't you let yourselves be condemned or judged" which I could see IN THE TEXT, sure, that I could quote for you, but you read it and _see_ for yourself, it is nothing than the fact Christ Jesus died for them the Colossian Christians, and rose for them so that they are co-raise together with Him, and that Paul therefore says, "THEREFORE do not you let anyone judge / condemn / accuse / subpoena / sentence you".

As though he talked to the believers, Tear up that piece of worthless written parchment of legal action against you ... it's not worth the effort it took its scribes to write! And so ALL 'law' inimical.

GE:

Very strange, I find in my Bible, this that you wrote, "Let no man therefore judge you" ---

But try as I may, my Bible just does not have where Paul tells them "they are not binding on the saints, and they were not to be judged for neglecting them". I checked up the Textus Receptus; and I checked up Nestle Aland, but not one of the two have it.

Also the REASON you aver, namely, "Since the old covenant was nailed to the cross of Christ, and was made invalid" – as though it is Paul's reason for having said, "THEREFORE do not you let yourselves be judged" –, I simply cannot find anywhere near, or far in the text.

Mind to share your sacred source with me?

The reason why Paul said, "Don't you let yourselves be condemned or judged" which I could see IN THE TEXT, sure, that I could quote for you, but you read it and _see_ for yourself, it is nothing than the fact Christ Jesus died for them the Colossian Christians, and rose for them so that they are co-raise together with Him, and that Paul therefore says, "THEREFORE do not you let anyone judge / condemn / accuse / subpoena / sentence you".

As though he talked to the believers, Tear up that piece of worthless written parchment of legal action against you ... it's not worth the effort it took its scribes to write! And so ALL 'law' inimical.

The scripture is in the King James Version Bible:

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Col 2:16-17 (KJV)

The other statements were quoted from the Gospel Advocate Commentaries...

Let no man therefore judge you—Since the old covenant was nailed to the cross of Christ, and was thus made invalid, its written decrees, he tells them, are not binding on the saints, and they were not to be judged for neglecting them.—Gospel Advocate Commentaries

What law did he break? the new covenant began when he died, not when he resurrected. (must not be a sabbath then).

Hebrews 9:17 (KJV)
For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

GE:

I said isn’t it ironic all claim Jesus could restore life for others on the Sabbath and obey the Law; but would take up his own life on the Sabbath and break the Law.

You ask, "What law did he break?" So do you agree that He broke a law? Well, I - for one - do not!

Re:
"the new covenant began when he died, not when he resurrected."

Scripture?

Re:
" (must not be a sabbath then)"

A. Scripture?

B. By what and whose logic? That He would break the Law?

Re:
"For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth"

Relevancy with Colossians 2:12-19?

For he spake, etc.—The allusion here is to Gen 2:2 and the object of the Apostle in referring to it, is to show further what he has spoken in the previous verse. He clearly states that the sabbatical rest was instituted by God, at the close of the Adamic renovation, when on the seventh day "he rested from all his works which he had made." And hence it follows, as before stated, that this rest cannot be identical with that from which a whole generation of the Israelites were forever excluded.

GE:

... far over my head; and as strange in my ears as rock to Mozart ... e.g.,

"sabbitical rest" ... What's that?
"the Adamic renovation"?
"at the close of the Adamic renovation"?
"this rest cannot be identical with that from which a whole generation of the Israelites were forever excluded" --- "The allusion here is to Gen 2:2"?!

Shucks!

GE:

If the 'old covenant' were "nailed to the cross", all the old covenanters --- who are all sinners --- had to be nailed to the cross and not Jesus Christ.

First of all, I am glad we are having this discussion and sometimes we cannot interpret each others emotions over the internet. My intentions are good conversation and telling the truth the way I know it and from my Bible. And I do apologize for not providing you with the information where I get my sources from.

The covenanters, as you say, were held under the old law which is in 2 Cor 3:15

15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. 16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. 2 Cor 3:15-16 (KJV)

15 But unto this day, whensoever Moses is read, a veil lieth upon their heart.—While Jesus has taken away the veil, these Jews in rejecting him retain the veil over their hearts when they read the law of Moses, and so cannot look to the end of the law and see Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and the hope of the world pointed forward to in the law. [They never discovered that the law was given in order that sin might reveal itself under a form in which it could neither be mistaken nor excused. They "had not known sin, except through the law," for "through the law cometh the knowledge of sin," for "through the commandment sin" became "exceeding sinful." (Rom. 7:7; 3:20; 7:13.) This makes it certain that the law was given that they might have a standard, and that under the unmistakable and unyielding demands of the law they might learn their own powerlessness to discharge their obligations to God, and that they might become convinced of their need of a Savior.]
16 But whensoever it shall turn to the Lord, the veil is taken away.—When they shall sleek to know God and his will, the veil that prevents their seeing that Jesus is the Christ will be taken away.
—Gospel Advocate Commentaries

Colossians 2:14 (KJV)
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

nailing it to the cross;—It was taken out of the way when Jesus Christ was nailed to the cross. [This is a very graphic way of saying that the obstacle to forgiveness which lay in the law—in the justice of God of which the law is an embodiment—was removed by the death of Christ. Practically the nails which fastened to the cross the hands and the feet of Jesus, and thus slew him, pierced and invalidated the law which pronounced the just condemnation of sinners. Hence Paul could say: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus." (Rom. 8:1.) By the cross of Christ Paul could truthfully affirm that "the world hath been crucified unto me, and I unto the world." (Gal. 6:14.)
—Gospel Advocate Commentaries

GE:

... far over my head; and as strange in my ears as rock to Mozart ... e.g.,

"sabbitical rest" ... What's that?
"the Adamic renovation"?
"at the close of the Adamic renovation"?
"this rest cannot be identical with that from which a whole generation of the Israelites were forever excluded" --- "The allusion here is to Gen 2:2"?!

Shucks!

Sorry! I didn't mean to confuse you...I didn't much study this until we got on the subject and I learned a lot today. :yes

Sorry! I didn't mean to confuse you...I didn't much study this until we got on the subject and I learned a lot today. :yes

The sabbatical rest was on God's last day of creation, He rested.

Adamic: Genesis 1:26-30 Genesis 2:16-17 or creation. Adam & Eve.

The scripture is in the King James Version Bible:

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Col 2:16-17 (KJV)

The other statements were quoted from the Gospel Advocate Commentaries...

Let no man therefore judge you—Since the old covenant was nailed to the cross of Christ, and was thus made invalid, its written decrees, he tells them, are not binding on the saints, and they were not to be judged for neglecting them.—Gospel Advocate Commentaries

What was nailed to the cross? cheirographon tois dogmaisin is not the Law of God...

"What Does Colossians 2:14 Really Say?

It is of interest to note that the expression "the handwriting of requirements" is a Greek legal term that signifies the penalty which a lawbreaker had to pay--through Jesus the penalty was wiped out ("the handwriting of requirements"), not the law! "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the LORD: I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them" (Heb 10:16).

Even Protestant commentators realize this. Notice what Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible states about Colossians 2:14:

Whatever was in force against us is taken out of the way. He has obtained for us a legal discharge from the hand-writing of ordinances, which was against us (v. 14), which may be understood,

1. Of that obligation to punishment in which consists the guilt of sin. The curse of the law is the hand-writing against us, like the hand-writing on Belshazzar's wall. Cursed is every one who continues not in every thing. This was a hand-writing which was against us, and contrary to us; for it threatened our eternal ruin. This was removed when he redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us, Gal 3:13. (from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible: New Modern Edition, Electronic Database. Copyright (c) 1991 by Hendrickson Publishers, Inc.).

Some will argue that you still cannot keep the ten commandments (for "all have sinned"), even if they are all mentioned as being in effect after the crucifixion. Does this mean one should not try?

Furthermore, let's look at another translation:

14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross (Colossians 2:14, NASB)

The handwriting of requirements (often also called the hand-writing of ordinances) or certificate of debt was wiped away and nailed to the cross.

Which requirements were wiped out?

Please understand that the expression "the handwriting of requirements" (cheirógrafon toís dógmasin) is a Greek legal expression that signifies the penalty which a lawbreaker had to pay--it does not signify the laws that are to be obeyed--only the penalty. It is only through the acceptance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that the penalty was wiped out ("the handwriting of requirements"). But only the penalty, not the law! " - Bob Thiel

The Law was not nailed to the cross, the note of blood-guiltiness was nailed to the cross.

That is the value of lively discussions such as these. We learn much from them. I have found that when certain beliefs that I have are challenged, it makes me stick my nose much deeper into the scriptures to determine whether those beliefs are valid or the facts dispute them. Thank you for your participation.

Back