Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Are the Ten Commandments valid for Christians today?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
elihoenai,
re: "It is impossible for the Carnal/Natural Man to keep all 613 Laws."

Actually, it's not even possible to try to keep all 613 laws unless a person is both man and woman.

Not all 613 laws are for those that are under the better new covenant of grace. The ten commandments that so many think are a different set of laws from the 613 are very wrong as they are included with that which makes up the 613 laws. What is obsolete from the law are the ones that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite as Jesus already fulfilled those parts withing His birth, death and resurrection. The rest of the laws being the moral parts that include the ten commandments are still to be followed even today until Christ returns and fulfills all the law, Matthew 5:17-19.

So it’s impossible for someone outside of western/Christianized culture to be a Christian? I mean if someone goes to a lost tribe in the Amazon and explains sin and Christ those people can’t come to faith unless they get on board with the law?

So it’s impossible for someone outside of western/Christianized culture to be a Christian? I mean if someone goes to a lost tribe in the Amazon and explains sin and Christ those people can’t come to faith unless they get on board with the law?

No one comes to faith by the law. Faith comes by hearing the word being taught to them of God's salvation through Christ Jesus.

God is no fool and does not, therefore, expect us to follow the commandments. Even Christians.
At least not successfully.

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:4

We are given a new nature empowered by His Spirit for the purpose of obeying Him and His commandments as well as His doctrine.

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,
Hebrews 5:9

JLB

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:4

We are given a new nature empowered by His Spirit for the purpose of obeying Him and His commandments as well as His doctrine.

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,
Hebrews 5:9

JLB
I think we are all in big trouble if your understanding of these requirements are correct. I wrestle with these passages but between the fact that no one perfectly adheres to the law even after coming to Christ in faith and some more that scriptures say I have to also count on grace and Christ’s blood and that God sees His righteousness not my attempts at it.

Jesus gave us new commands.

There are a few.
John 13: 14....be servants towards each other.
13:34-35. Love one another

14:1 has two
Do not let your heart's be troubled.
Believe in Jesus.
14:11 Believe that Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in Jesus.

I think we are all in big trouble if your understanding of these requirements are correct. I wrestle with these passages but between the fact that no one perfectly adheres to the law even after coming to Christ in faith and some more that scriptures say I have to also count on grace and Christ’s blood and that God sees His righteousness not my attempts at it.
IMO once we accept Christ, He in turn accepts us. If there is no Bible on hand then the new Christian would be totally reliant upon the Holy Spirit to guide him/her as how to relate and obey their new Lord. IMO they are still saved yet their walk in Christ would be most likely crippled with out the written Word. Yet in our relationship with Christ, He shows us anyway where He wants obedience. This is why the Word seems so alive and different verses seem to have more emphasis than before. This is our Lord pushing us to a better understanding as we spiritually mature. In turn, He expects more dilligent obedience as we grow. Without the Word we must rely only upon the HS. We may find ourselves in this predicament ourselves pending a prison sentence for being a Christian.

You all love to make mountains out of molehills.

Have you never read in John 14:15-24
Where Jesus repeatedly says. If you LOVE me you will keep my commands.'

It is not a question of earning ones salvation or pharisee
points but of demonstrating ones love for Jesus.

It is as Paul points out in Romans a guide as to what action in life is pleasing to God.

Yes grace.

Grace is His divine ability bestowed upon us, to enable us to do what we can not do without it.

Grace is the Holy Spirit; The Spirit of grace.

Now with a new nature empowered by the Spirit, we can walk according to the Spirit, rather than walk according to the sinful desires of our flesh.

However, most are not willing to apply ourselves, or invest our time and effort, to sow to the Spirit, which is to say, do the things the Spirit leads us to do, rather than the things our flesh desires.

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. Galatians 6:7-8

The Spirit will lead us to renew our mind, and set our mind on godly things.

The Spirit will lead us to pray, and devote our time to minister to the Lord, to read the scriptures, and yield our life to Him, and the things He has for us to do in this life.

These are just a few ways we by the Spirit put to death the lustful deeds of the flesh, in which our spirit man is built up and edified to walk in dominion over our flesh.

Our flesh wants to gratify it’s sinful appetites of constantly eating and watching tv and entertaining the mind with worldly pleasures, wrong people and wrong places, alcohol, drugs,...in which our desire for the things of the Spirit are extinguished.

The enemy wants us depressed and beat down and weak, easily pliable and ineffective.

Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1

JLB

I have to also count on grace and Christ’s blood and that God sees His righteousness not my attempts at it.

Yes the blood of Jesus that is available for us if we should sin.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.
1 John 3:7

JLB

I wrestle with these passages but between the fact that no one perfectly adheres to the law even after coming to Christ in faith

The law of Moses has been abolished.

We are now in under grace, that is, under obligation to obey grace; the Spirit of grace, who leads us and guides us to walk in the truth.

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,
Titus 2:11-12

JLB

Romans Chapter 10 faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word being preached. God's spoken word in the beginning has been taken out to the whole world since the time of the beginning of generations with God's commands as no one is without excuse in following that of what God first gave to Adam and then again after the flood to Noah and then the full to Moses that we are to continue to obey. The ten commandments are just a part of all the moral laws all tied into the greatest commandment of love.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

for_his_glory,
re: "God's spoken word in the beginning has been taken out to the whole world since the time of the beginning of generations with God's commands as no one is without excuse in following that of what God first gave to Adam and then again after the flood to Noah and then the full to Moses that we are to continue to obey...For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse..."

Does that mean that everyone who has ever existed believes that the Supreme Being of the Bible exists? - And that they are aware of all the commands that He wants them to obey?

Does that mean that everyone who has ever existed believes that the Supreme Being of the Bible exists? - And that they are aware of all the commands that He wants them to obey?

If all would have believed in the beginning of generations instead of turning away from God then all would know Him and His commands given to Noah after the flood know as the Noahic Commandments. As sin increased then there was necessity of adding more laws to bring them all unto obedience, but yet even today they turn away.

If all would have believed in the beginning of generations instead of turning away from God then all would know Him and His commands given to Noah after the flood know as the Noahic Commandments. As sin increased then there was necessity of adding more laws to bring them all unto obedience, but yet even today they turn away.

If all would have believed (and still believe today) then Mary probably would have never given birth to Jesus in the first place.

That is exactly what it means. Deep down inside, on some level...you know it, everyone knows it. And His commands? Sure, who do you think belongs to the voice of your conscience anyway? Lol.

I don't keep the sabbath. (absence of work -even meals were to be prepared in advance)
We have this from the Lord
You know the commandments: 'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.'"

I think those commandments mostly, (shall not's), were chiseled in stone by God. Jesus didn't abolish them but its clear to me He is not enforcing the sabbath day as is written in the law. Perhaps because as He stated the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath.

Actually, I believe the laws weren't added. They were explained because we were too stubborn and needed it spelled out so we'd quit acting like attorneys by arguing semantics.

Actually, I believe the laws weren't added. They were explained because we were too stubborn and needed it spelled out so we'd quit acting like attorneys by arguing semantics.

I see what you're saying. God trusted us to use our common sense about things but when that failed He figured that He better just go ahead and write the laws down for us to follow instead. And when that failed He just sent His Son into the world to die for us because He knew that there wasn't any other way that we could be reconciled with Him.

I don't keep the sabbath. (absence of work -even meals were to be prepared in advance)
We have this from the Lord
You know the commandments: 'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.'"

I think those commandments mostly, (shall not's), were chiseled in stone by God. Jesus didn't abolish them but its clear to me He is not enforcing the sabbath day as is written in the law. Perhaps because as He stated the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath.

Actually I think that keeping the Sabbath means to set aside some time for God any day and every day. Which honestly, I don't always do.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back