Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

BEWARE OF LEAVEN, EAT UNLEAVENED BREAD AND LIVE

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi Humblepie

Absolutely!! But the point being made here is that no one was able to be resurrected or saved from sin until the perfect sacrifice was made. So, all of those people coming up in the old covenant days were promised, for keeping God's commands, peace, comfort and security in this life. That's what I said in the beginning of this discussion and I do stand by it.

When Jesus was laid in the tomb, the Scriptures tell us that he then went down to hades and proclaimed the eternal salvation now available to them through faith in him. Then we are told that many dead people were seen walking about. That had to be a strange night. But I'm confident that it wasn't until that moment that anyone living in the days of the old covenant received any promise of eternal salvation.

Please notice that all of your quotes are written as a future event... 'will'. And that is my point.

God bless,
Ted

2 Timothy 3:16
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

When Paul wrote this letter the old Testament was the only scripture written, and that makes everything in the O.T. profitable for doctrine, instruction, and correction to live Righteously.

That my friend is non- debatable scripture.

Ted, I do not claim to know it all, because I do not. I'm not teaching this to boast. I'm teaching this because God and his holy spirit has asked me to. Test everything I say to scripture. Correct me if I'm wrong with scripture in context.
Pauls Letters are letters and should be read as a letter because the context of the letter matters for correct interpretation.

Hi Humblepie

Have you not read that God spoke through His faithful prophet Jeremiah:
"Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah--not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord.
God has said that He is going to make a new covenant. That the new covenant will not be like the old one that He made with them when He brought them out of Egypt by His own hand. Jesus is that new covenant. And that covenant will not only be for house of Israel, but for all peoples on the earth.
The covenant that you're trying to enforce is the old covenant that God gave unto Israel when He brought them by His own hand out of Egypt. When God gave those words to Jeremiah, the old covenant had been in force for a few centuries. God is not referring to that covenant. He is referring to the new covenant that Jesus spoke of when he sat with his disciples and told them,
"This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many."

That new covenant is the one that God has made with the Gentile nations and Israel that anyone who will, may be saved.

God bless,

Ted
TED,

To finish your scripture quote again.
Verse 33 defines what this new covenant will be.
Verse 33
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

HE WILL PUT HIS ((((((((((LAW)))))))))) ON THEIR HEARTS...

It is written clearly.

his law, our hearts. Nothing more to it.

Do not add or take away from his inspired word Ted.

Let's dig a little deeper into this scripture, there is alot to unpack here. First what is truth as defined in the Word of God.

Psalm 119:142
Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And Your law is truth.
That is a definitive statement....

1 Timothy 4 verse 3 clearly says: …and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
Here is the Greek word for sanctified… hagiazō (ἁγιάζω) According to the Newman Greek Dictionary it means: set apart to or by God, sacred, consecrated.
Consider this, animals that are set apart for eating must be separate from animals that are not set apart for eating. This is by the very definition of the word sanctified. The very fact that there are animals sanctified means that there has to be a separate group of animals that are not sanctified. Doesn't this make sense?
The animals that are sanctified or set apart for food from animals that are not set apart for food are defined very clearly in Leviticus 11. If we believe and know the Truth that means we believe and know the law of God. The very fact that some animals are declared to be “consecrated", or “sanctified” or “made holy” or set apart by the Word of God means that some animals are obviously NOT "set apart" by the Word of God. Something can only be "set apart" if there is something to be "set apart" from.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

When Paul wrote this letter the old Testament was the only scripture written and that makes Leviticus 11 profitable for doctrine.

My question to you is this. Does Leviticus come from Seducing spirits? Is it the doctrine of devils? Is it profane?
Is it old wives fables?

I think not.
I don't think so either, but it is addressed to those of the OT...only.
Jesus said the truth could free us from committing sin, in John 8:32-34.
Can avoiding leaven make a man free from sinning ?
1 Timothy 4

4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (Law)
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer
2 Timothy 4:2-4
Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
1 Timothy 4:6-7
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
Refuse to be drawn back into OT Law keeping.
If avoiding leaven is necessary for salvation, so too is circumcision.

Or are you preaching that too ?

That is a doctrine of men..not the law of moses, and the apostles and Jesus adamantly taught against it.

Matt 15:7-9

7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men

Acts 10 clearly states that we are to call no MAN unclean

Acts 10:28

28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Where in his New Covenant does he eliminate the Torah?

Jeremiah 31:33
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

He said he would put it on our hearts, not eliminate it. He gives us the Holy Spirit and a new will to follow his commands.
He gives us the will to also follow the spirit of the law not just the letter.

To be perfectly clear...as a believer we follow the law because we are saved, not to save us.

We are saved by grace through faith.
Does a "saved" man still serve sin ?

If avoiding leaven is necessary for salvation,
I don't know if my post are not seen on your end or if you're just not reading them, but in any case here we go again.

THE LAW CANT SAVE YOU.
WE DO NOT FOLLOW THE LAW TO EARN SALVATION, SALVATION IS NOT EARNED, IT IS GIVEN FREELY, WE TRY OUR BEST TO FOLLOW GODS WILL BECAUSE WE ARE SAVED.

WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH IN OUR MESSIAH.

Did you catch it this time?

Hebrews10:26
For if we sin willfully after having received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Sin is the breaking of God's Law.

1 John 3:4-6 KJV
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Does a "saved" man still serve sin ?
This is what Paul says.

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace" (Romans 6:14).

A believer is not judged by the law, only a sinner that hasn't accepted the free gift of grace, but that doesn't give a believer a free pass to sin.

A non believer lives under the law, and the wages of sin is death.
Paul calls it the law of sin and death, not to be confused with the Mosaic law.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Hebrews 10:26

For if we sin willfully after having received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Eating with unwashed hands can't defile a man, but elevating the commandments of men over the commandments of God is what Jesus refers to "but the things that come out of him"
The unclean thoughts and perversions that come out of man from his own heart defile him (and possibly others?)

This topic isn't about "good habits" or health department regulations and I never said I don't wash my hands. We should always read God's word with moral and spiritual conviction.
Correct, thank you.

Follow Jesus, not men.

CLEAN THE INSIDE of the bowl first, (most people never do) .....

leaving behind all falsehood (leavening). Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth” (I Corinthians 5:7,8).

Oh’ what a wonderful God we serve, who after he redeems us, tells us how the redeemed must walk to get life. Praise God! Many people believe that this feast along with God’s other Holy Days have been done away with. Why would God do away with his Perfect plan? Only Satan would promote such teaching, as he did with Adam and Eve after God had given them specific instructions.

Many attempt to make this commandment too hard to fulfill, but how hard is it to change the bread you eat for one week? If we can buy a tree, haul it home, set it up and decorate it, which God never commanded, surely we can keep this feast, which he did command.
YHVH BE PRAISED !

I don't know if my post are not seen on your end or if you're just not reading them, but in any case here we go again.

THE LAW CANT SAVE YOU.
WE DO NOT FOLLOW THE LAW TO EARN SALVATION, SALVATION IS NOT EARNED, IT IS GIVEN FREELY, WE TRY OUR BEST TO FOLLOW GODS WILL BECAUSE WE ARE SAVED.

WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH IN OUR MESSIAH.

Did you catch it this time?

Hebrews10:26

Sin is the breaking of God's Law.

I agree with all of that.
I am also thankful that the "law" of the NT is...Love God with all your heart, mind, and souls: and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
No dietary rules, so circumcising, no feast keeping, no sabbath keeping, no temple service, etc.

This is what Paul says.

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace" (Romans 6:14).

A believer is not judged by the law, only a sinner that hasn't accepted the free gift of grace, but that doesn't give a believer a free pass to sin.

A non believer lives under the law, and the wages of sin is death.
Paul calls it the law of sin and death, not to be confused with the Mosaic law.

Hebrews 10:26

We are on the "same page" there.

I agree with all of that.
I am also thankful that the "law" of the NT is...Love God with all your heart, mind, and souls: and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
No dietary rules, so circumcising, no feast keeping, no sabbath keeping, no temple service, etc.
My view is just a little different, but the way to salvation is the same.
I believe that all scripture including the Torah is truth and applicable today.
I believe the law and grace are in perfect harmony. Without the law you can't define what sin is because the law defines sin.
I also believe that Paul was spot on when he claimed that the O.T. scripture, the only scripture available to him at that time because the N.T. hadn't been written yet is applicable to all.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

When Paul wrote this letter the old Testament was the only scripture and that means all the law is profitable for doctrine and instruction, unless Paul lied.

In Brotherhood.

and
since
all Scripture is from YHVH , inspired by HIM, NOT man's ideas,
all Scripture is Truth, Torah, Tanakh, Psalms, Proverbs, and New Testament.

My view is just a little different, but the way to salvation is the same.
I believe that all scripture including the Torah is truth and applicable today.
I believe the law and grace are in perfect harmony. Without the law you can't define what sin is because the law defines sin.
I also believe that Paul was spot on when he claimed that the O.T. scripture, the only scripture available to him at that time because the N.T. hadn't been written yet is applicable to all.

When Paul wrote this letter the old Testament was the only scripture and that means all the law is profitable for doctrine and instruction, unless Paul lied.

In Brotherhood.
OK, but don't you think that requiring abstinence from leaven over the line ?

OK, but don't you think that requiring abstinence from leaven over the line ?
I think that if during the Passover the Holy Spirit were compell a believer to abstain from leaven then that believer should abstain.

Being perfected by our Father is a lifelong journey and we'll never reach that goal. Not everyone grows at the same pace and we are not all in the same place in our walk with God so I wouldn't judge them. I might even have a plank in my own eye that needs addressing.

In Brotherhood.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back