Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

By faith

If God is CAUSING a person to believe....
then how is it that person's faith that is allowing him to be saved?
...because people are saved by faith
This is the work of God that you believe
I give you a nickel, it is now yours. I am the cause of you having a nickel; it is your nickel.

A person is saved BY GRACE
THROUGH the instrument OF FAITH
Agreed

Are we saved by our faith or Jesus' faith as some believe?
Our faith ... chances are people that say they are saved by Christ's faith have grammatical short comings IMO

If God is infusing that faith into us,,,CAUSING us to believe....
HOW is it our own faith that saves us?
I don't see a problem. We believe because God caused us to do so. God gives us belief and that gift of grace is now ours and saves us. I give you a nickel, it is now yours. I am the cause of you having a nickel; it is your nickel.

I give you a nickel, it is now yours. I am the cause of you having a nickel; it is your nickel.

Agreed

Our faith ... chances are people that say they are saved by Christ's faith have grammatical short comings IMO

I don't see a problem. We believe because God caused us to do so. God gives us belief and that gift of grace is now ours and saves us. I give you a nickel, it is now yours. I am the cause of you having a nickel; it is your nickel.
What is your (God's) proof that you gave me a nickel (conversion)?

Agreed

I do not have the nickel because you gave it to me.

This is why I have the nickel:

YOU offered me the nickel.
I reached out with my hand and TOOK the nickel.

IF no responding action is necessary on my behalf, then No Grace is necessary from God....

He would just have to choose to whom He will put the nickel in their pocket as they stand idly by.

No grace necessary as we are taught in Ephesians 2:8

No faith necessary for salvation.
Luke 7:50
Acts 16:31

In your scenario we must believe in salvation being one sided,,,,,monergism.

The NT teaches that action on our part is necessary,,,,,,synergism.

Hey All,
The church can be wrong.
The Crusades were wrong.
Putting Galaleo on trial because he said the earth revolves around the Sun was wrong.
The recent sexual assault by some leaders in the Catholic Church upon children was wrong.
Then trying to cover it up was a second wrong.
Calling someone father who is not God or your father is wrong.

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

That is a clear wrong.
Why do you do what you know is wrong.

Scripture is never wrong.
Therefore Scripture is superior to all human resolutions.
We who believe are trusting it with our lives.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Does the church teach men to sin?

Do we accuse the Baptist church of its pastors sins?

No cause we are reasoned and know they are just sinners and the church does not teach it or approve of it!

And dont forget the double whammy of the communists and homo’s infiltration of the seminaries

And week men during the Vietnam conflict could get out of the draft by entering the priesthood

Thanks

Careful: warning “danger will Robinson” Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 what you accuse the church of you accuse Christ of and He Himself said so! Lk 10:16

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All,
The Old Testament is Scripture also, is it not Mr. Adams?
And it was complete
One can teach Jesus all day long out of the Old Testament.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Explain acts 8
The eunuch had the OT but God sent an apostle by His angel to teach him and to baptize him!
He received the grace of justification!

Amen?

Is that the standard? It’s God breathed?

How did they receive the word since the New Testament was not written yet?

Who is the “Man of God”?

Thks
The apostles are “God breathed” Jn 20:21-23

The man of God refers to an apostle!

Our profession “apostles”!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of ourprofession, Christ Jesus;

Does the church teach men to sin?

Do we accuse the Baptist church of its pastors sins?

No cause we are reasoned and know they are just sinners and the church does not teach it or approve of it!

And dont forget the double whammy of the communists and homo’s infiltration of the seminaries

And week men during the Vietnam conflict could get out of the draft by entering the priesthood

Thanks

Careful: warning “danger will Robinson” Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 what you accuse the church of you accuse Christ of and He Himself said so! Lk 10:16
Hey All,
One church just covered up that the abuse was happening.
Has that church repented yet?
And even if they did, why would anyone entrust the care of their child to such a church?
No. That "church" does not get a free pass from me.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
The church can be wrong.
The Crusades were wrong.
Putting Galaleo on trial because he said the earth revolves around the Sun was wrong.
The recent sexual assault by some leaders in the Catholic Church upon children was wrong.
Then trying to cover it up was a second wrong.
Calling someone father who is not God or your father is wrong.

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

That is a clear wrong.
Why do you do what you know is wrong.

Scripture is never wrong.
Therefore Scripture is superior to all human resolutions.
We who believe are trusting it with our lives.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Call no man father really?

Matt 23:9
Call no man father? Jesus is condemning pride and spiritual pride of the Pharisees?

Or is this absolute?

God calls men father!

Ex 3:6 Moreover he said, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

Jesus calls men father!

Jn 6:49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.

Mary calls men father!

Lk 1:55 As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.

Peter calls men father!

Acts 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

Acts 3:22 Moses said unto the fathers…

The stephen calls men father!

Acts 7 Stephen quotes the fathers over and over!

Apostles call men father!

1 Jn 2:13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.

14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

The Bible calls men father!

Luke 16:24
And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Acts 3:13
The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

Jn 4:20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.

Jesus does not rebuke her for calling men father!

Then there is spiritual fathers who administer grace by the sacraments and have care for our souls! Heb 13:7-17

The apostles are “God breathed” Jn 20:21-23

The man of God refers to an apostle!

Our profession “apostles”!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of ourprofession, Christ Jesus;
So, that means only those men were apostles and there can be no apostolic succession, which also fits the biblical criteria for being an apostle:

Act 1:21 So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
Act 1:22 beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us—one of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection.”
Act 1:23 And they put forward two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also called Justus, and Matthias. (ESV)

In order to be considered for the office of an Apostle, a person first had to have been with Jesus during his entire ministry. Second, they had to have been an eyewitness to his resurrection. And, third, they had to be appointed by Jesus himself. Of course, it happened in a more dramatic and personal way with Paul in his direct calling and commission from Jesus himself, but he was the exception, not the rule.

Apostolic succession is not mentioned in the Bible. It's worth noting that Paul was writing to Timothy, who wasn't an apostle, but was a man of God, as every believer is.

Hey All,
One church just covered up that the abuse was happening.
Has that church repented yet?
And even if they did, why would anyone entrust the care of their child to such a church?
No. That "church" does not get a free pass from me.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Not a work of the church but those lost in the modernist heresy and general apostasy

So, that means only those men were apostles and there can be no apostolic succession, which also fits the biblical criteria for being an apostle:

Act 1:21 So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
Act 1:22 beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us—one of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection.”
Act 1:23 And they put forward two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also called Justus, and Matthias. (ESV)

In order to be considered for the office of an Apostle, a person first had to have been with Jesus during his entire ministry. Second, they had to have been an eyewitness to his resurrection. And, third, they had to be appointed by Jesus himself. Of course, it happened in a more dramatic and personal way with Paul in his direct calling and commission from Jesus himself, but he was the exception, not the rule.

Apostolic succession is not mentioned in the Bible. It's worth noting that Paul was writing to Timothy, who wasn't an apostle, but was a man of God, as every believer is.
Was Paul an apostle? Does he qualify?

If something becomes impossible then it is no longer a requirement

Timothy was an apostle and successor of Paul

Acts 1:15-26 Mathias successor and apostle

What did I say about Paul?

If the requirements become impossible, then it is no longer possible to fulfill the office. To argue otherwise means that anyone can claim to be an apostle, which is precisely one of the problems we see today.

Timothy was an apostle and successor of Paul
Is it ever stated that Timothy was an apostle?

Acts 1:15-26 Mathias successor and apostle
Yes, which is my point: he was chosen by Jesus, as per Acts 1:24-26.

Anyway, just think about it, as this is going too far off-topic.

The successors of Moses!
Successors are Explicitly included:

The successors of Moses have kingdom authority. ( bind and loose & keys)

Christ commanded them to be obeyed. (I know they were not impeccable but it does not diminish their office or authority)

Matt 23:1
Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Matt 23:4
power to bind and loose
Matt 23:13
power of the keys of the kingdom

Taken from them!

***Matt 21:43
Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

Given to Peter and the apostles!
Same kingdom power and jurisdiction authority!

Lk 22:29
And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Matt 16:18-19
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Matt 18:18
Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Succession is included and provided
Acts1:15-26 Mathias successor of Judas
Timothy successor of Paul

The church is the mustard seed of the gospel growing and spreading all time and all places!

Thks

Timothy successor of Paul
Nothing states that Timothy was Paul's "successor," never mind that Timothy was considered an apostle. He was Paul's son in the faith, but we should be very careful to not go beyond what Scripture states.

The church is the mustard seed of the gospel growing and spreading all time and all places!
The kingdom of heaven/kingdom of God is compared to a mustard seed, not the Church. Those two are not the same.

>>>The same Jesus also said:
Revelation 22:12

“Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.

Not according to what Jesus did but according to what you did.
Amen. Also, God's quickly is not the same as our human definition of quickly imo

Explain acts 8
The eunuch had the OT but God sent an apostle by His angel to teach him and to baptize him!
He received the grace of justification!

Amen?
Hey All,
You have to know there are two Phillips.
The apostle Phillip, who is listed in Acts 1.
Then we have a second Phillip here.in Acts 6.

Acts 6:2-5 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.
Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.
But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.
And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch:

Phillip is of the seven listed as the apostle's chosen helpers, probably equivalent to a deacon.

So we are not told which Phillip this is in Acts 8.
My guess would be Phillip the helper, based on verse 14.

Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

The apostles were at Jerusalem.
That should include Philip the apostle.
Plus, why would they call for the apostles if Phillip the apostle was there?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Last edited:

Hey All,

"If something becomes impossible then it is no longer a requirement" Quote from donadams

Incorrect. If something becomes impossible, then it remains impossible. Impossible is an absolute term.

Any achievements requiring an impossible act is forever impossible.

In the matter of becoming an apostle, it is no longer possible to be an eyewitness of Jesus' resurrection.

Therefore, it is no longer possible to become an apostle.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Back