Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Call No Man Father

let us examine ourselves to see if we be in the faith, and the proper motives of virtue

Am I the only arbiter of truth!
I study scripture and by my own personal interpretation and private judgement decide what is the truth and the faith that I will accept!

Christians in all humility must be taught! Matt 28:19 Lk 1:4 etc.

Am I my own Way, Truth, & Life!

Spiritual blindness and bondage!
Jn 8:32 you shall know the truth!
Truth sets us free!
False doctrine and error causes spiritual blindness and bondage!

The example of saul:

He thought he was doing the will of God and acting righteously until the blinding light of the risen Lord appeared!

Thick black scales!
Are named as: monsterous pride, presumption, and arrogance!

Pride always protests!

Unthinkable to a Christian who practices the virtues of Jesus Christ, humility, meekness, and obedience!

Thanks in prayer

Do you believe that Christ is divine?
Do you believe in the blessed trinity?
One God in three persons

Thks

You said something about Luther and articles of faith

Martin Luther

It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin. … Christ, we believe, came forth from a womb left perfectly intact. (Weimer’s The Works of Luther, English translation by Pelikan, Concordia, St. Louis, v. 11, pp. 319-320; v. 6. p. 510.)

Note: an article of faith is required for salvation.
Silly questions. As much as I have posted here for you and then ask those questions is a waste of my time to respond.

We saved by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ plus nothing!

Maty hand Joseph had at least 6 children according to the Bible.

Biblical Purgatory:

Psalm 66:12 (RSV) Thou didst let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet thou hast brought us forth to a spacious place.

This verse was considered a proof of purgatory by Origen and St. Ambrose, who posits the water of baptism and the fire of purgatory.

Isaiah 4:4 When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and cleansed the bloodstains of Jerusalem from its midst by a spirit of judgment and by a spirit of burning. (cf. 1:25-26; 6:5-7; Ecc 12:14)

St. Augustine, in the 20th Book of his City of God, chapter 25, interprets this as purgatory. The preceding verse refers to the saved (“called holy” and “recorded for life”) and verses 5 and 6 describe the repose of the blessed.

Micah 7:9 I will bear the indignation of the Lord because I have sinned against him, until he pleads my cause and executes judgment for me. He will bring me forth to the light; I shall behold his deliverance. (cf. Lev 26:41, 43; Job 40:4-5; Lam 3:39)

St. Jerome considered this verse a clear proof of purgatory.

Malachi 3:3 he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, till they present right offerings to the LORD.

Origen, St. Irenaeus, St. Ambrose, St. Augustine, and St. Jerome all thought this was a description of purgatory.

2 Maccabees 12:44-45 For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. [45] But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin. (cf. 1 Cor 15:29)

The Jews offered atonement and prayer for their deceased brethren, who had clearly violated Mosaic Law. Such a practice presupposes purgatory, since those in heaven wouldn’t need any help, and those in hell are beyond it.

Matthew 5:22 But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, “You fool!” shall be liable to the hell of fire.

St. Francis de Sales commented:

It is only the third sort of offence which is punished with hell; therefore in the judgment of God after this life there are other pains which are not eternal or infernal, — these are the pains of Purgatory.

Matthew 5:26 truly, I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny.

The “prison” alluded to in verse 25 is purgatory, according to Tertullian, St. Cyprian, Origen, St. Ambrose, and St. Jerome, while the “penny” represents the most minor sins that one commits.

Matthew 12:32 And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

If this sin cannot be forgiven after death, it follows that there are others which can be, and this must be in purgatory: precisely the interpretation of St. Augustine, Pope St. Gregory the Great, the Venerable Bede, and St. Bernard, among others.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. [12] Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw – [13] each man's work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. [14] If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. [15] If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

This is a clear and obvious allusion to purgatory. Thus thought St. Cyprian, St. Ambrose, St. Jerome, Pope St. Gregory the Great, Origen, and St. Augustine, who wrote with his usual insight:

ecause it is said, he shall be saved, that fire is thought lightly of. For all that, though we should be saved by fire, yet will that fire be more grievous than anything that man can suffer in this life whatsoever. (Expositions on the Psalms, 38, 2)

Hebrews 12:14 Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. (cf. 12:1, 5-11, 15, 23, Eph 5:5; 1 Thess 4:3; 1 Jn 3:2-3)

Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman observed (as an Anglican):

Even supposing a man of unholy life were suffered to enter heaven, he would not be happy there; so that it would be no mercy to permit him to enter . . . There is a moral malady which disorders the inward sight and taste; and no man labouring under it is in a condition to enjoy what Scripture calls the fulness of joy in God’s presence, . . . (Sermon on this verse: “Holiness Necessary for Future Blessedness,” 1834)

Revelation 21:27 But nothing unclean shall enter it, nor any one who practises abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

The abundance of scriptural evidence for purgatory led to a consensus among the Church fathers: summarized by Protestant church historian Philip Schaff:

These views of the middle state in connection with prayers for the dead show a strong tendency to the Roman Catholic doctrine of Purgatory. (History of the Christian Church, vol. 2, “Ante-Nicene Christianity: A. D. 100-325,” 5th edition, New York: 1889; ch. 12, sec. 156, 604-606)

Good thief promised paradise yet is still suffering the just punishment of His sins.

Lk 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Revelation 21:27
And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Isa 6:5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.

6 Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:

7 And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.

Matt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Matthew 12:32
And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Shall some sins can be forgiven in the world to come and it can’t be heaven cos no unclean thing can enter there.

Isa 6:3 3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory!
Toooo long of a post to be considered by me.

Fact is real simple. There is not one single Scripture that supports Purgatory.

Any Scripture you post is nothing more than a misapplication or twisting it to make it say what you want it to ssay.

Purgatory is not in the Bible!!!

The successors of Moses!
Successors are Explicitly included:

The successors of Moses have kingdom authority. ( bind and loose & keys)

Christ commanded them to be obeyed. (I know they were not impeccable but it does not diminish their office or authority)

Matt 23:1
Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Matt 23:4
power to bind and loose
Matt 23:13
power of the keys of the kingdom

Taken from them!

***Matt 21:43
Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

Given to Peter and the apostles!
Same kingdom power and jurisdiction authority!

Lk 22:29
And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Matt 16:18-19
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Matt 18:18
Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Succession is included and provided
Acts1:15-26 Mathias successor of Judas
Timothy successor of Paul

The church is the mustard seed of the gospel growing and spreading all time and all places!
The length that you go to, to try and make something Biblical is astonishing!

Moses was not an apostle so your example of him is not applicable!

The New Test. Scriptures do not say one single thing about apostolic succession which moves me ask you.....
why did you use them????

If you hit "enter" on your key board at the end of my question or comment, you can answer underneath of it.

Not true.
God will not lie.
Isn't "our response" something we do ?
If He makes us righteous, we must be righteous.
If we still are not righteous after hearing the messages of salvation, we are still unrighteous.

You just said, again, we cannot obey God.
If we are unable to live a life without sin, we are unable to obey God !

Our 'sin-infected body' can be circumcised by the circumcision made without hands.
As written..." In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:"
There is no excuse for remaining in a 'sin-infested body'.

If you don't sin anymore, you are sinless; as the truly repentant get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins, their old sins are washed away by the blood of Christ. (Acts 2:38, 1 John 1:7)
If you have stopped sinning, (repented of sin), and been cleansed of past sins, you are "sinless".

Amen...though what we can defeat is temptation to commit sin.
What is impossible for men who submit to God, and have the gift of the Holy Ghost after their repentance from sin ?

That verse addresses those not walking in the light-God.
Sinners cannot honestly say they have no sin.
The verse before that, addresses those who do walk in the light-God.
They have had all their previous sins cleansed by the blood of Christ !
If we remain in God-light, we won't sin again.
There is no darkness in the light.

Sin is the name give to disobedience to God.
Our actions can be considered as sinful if they are contrary to God's will.

Sin doesn't have its own personality or will.
Those in Christ have the God given power to adhere to all that Jesus and His apostles have written for our good.

All unrighteousness is sin. (1 John 5:17)
But there is no sin in God, in Whom I walk.
You could too, if you repent of sin permanently.

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Rom 8:1)
Does Paul prescribe the impossible ?
No.

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." (2 Cor 5:21)
Isn't Paul telling the truth ?
Yes.

"Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:" (Col 1:28)
Was Paul wasting his time ?
As long as those like me exist on earth, the answer is NO.
Too long of a post for me to consider.

I have asked you several times to post ONE question at a time and you refuse.

Easy answer, you are incorrect on your Bible understand and someone has fed you a bucket of false information.

First......The phrase rule of faith does not appear in the Bible.!!!!!!

Second.... It was first used in a statement by the early church writer Tertullian, in his On Prescription Against Heretics. The rule of faith is the set of standards that define a religion. Biblical Christianity holds the Bible to be its only rule of faith.

From your posts, it does not seem to ne that you understand the meaning of "sola".

Sola Scriptura = Theology must be Scripturally grounded.​

Solus Christus = Theology must be Christ focused.​

Sola Fide = Theology must be faith driven.​

Sola Gratia = Theology must be grace-saturated.​

Soli Deo Gloria = Theology must be God-dominated.​

Source: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/what-are-the-five-solas

So as you can clearly see, ALL the SOLAS are Biblical grounded and the only reason you beleieve that Scripture opposes all of them is because YOU do not accept the Word of God as the authority of God. You believe and have posted that it is the CATHOLIC church which is the authority.
Christ is the authority! All power all authority Matt 28:18

Did you realize or have you chosen to reject the Bible fact that the James who wrote his book in the Bible was the 1/2 brother of Jesus.

So was Jude.

It is amazing how much of the Bible we can learn if we want to know!
I don have a problem with brothers or bother or half bothers as long as they are not children of Mary!

Cousins ok too

We’re lot and Abraham brothers?

How were the 12 sons of Jacob brothers? How many mothers did they have? (4)

Rachel (2)
Rachel’s maid (2)
Leah (6)
Leah’s maid (2)

But Rachel is the spiritual mother of all the children of Israel!

Thks

Did you realize or have you chosen to reject the Bible fact that the James who wrote his book in the Bible was the 1/2 brother of Jesus.

So was Jude.

It was Luther who rejected the book of James

It was Luther who rejected the book of James
I realize that you are working off of Catholic teachings, however in the real world, Martin Luther was openly critical of James, and he wondered whether the epistle belonged in our Bibles, but he never formally proposed it should be removed.

Luther’s biggest issue with the Book of James was that it appeared to contradict Paul, and it seemed to oppose the doctrine of justification by faith alone, which was a central tenet of the Protestant movement.

But.....what does that have to do with James being the 1/2 brother of Jesus?

Thank you for the question. I am blessed to be able to reach the Word of God.

As you have just mentioned, apostolic doctrine is teaching that comes to us through the apostles. They were the men specifically chosen by Christ to carry His teachings to the world.

The writers of the New Testament refer to a settled body of doctrine that is often called “the faith” or “the gospel.”

May I say to you that the Apostle Paul strongly condemns people who would change or pervert the content of the gospel in Galatians 1:6–9 where he warned........
“I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!”

Now, once the foundation of the church had been laid and the teaching of the apostles had been recorded in Scripture, the role of apostle was no longer needed. Today, there is still a need today for preachers, teachers, and missionaries to carry God’s Word of the apostolic doctrine to the entire world, however nowhere in the Bible is there a reference to Apostolic Succession!

Some churches today and some denominations have the word apostolic in their name. For some, this may mean that they believe that the apostolic gift is at work in their church or in the Catholic church it means that a man, the POPE is the VICAR of Christ and he has the authority to change or add to the Word of God as he sees fir because they bellive he is an apostle.

If so, and you as a Catholic have accepted that, then it is a misunderstanding of the New Testament teaching on apostleship.

For others, it may mean that they want to emphasize the apostolic doctrine as found in the New Testament. If that is what they truly do, then this is a good thing.

One denomination, the Apostolic Church, says that they are following closely the teaching of the apostles but unfortunately believe that baptism by immersion is necessary for salvation and that salvation will be followed by sign gifts. While we see examples of the sign gifts being used in the book of Acts, it is not the teaching of the apostles that baptism is necessary for salvation or that every Christian will exhibit miraculous signs. In this case, although the name is “apostolic,” the teaching is not.
The holy church was founded by Christ with his full authority!

The church was here first, the errors of the so called reformers came much later departing from the faith and preaching another gospel of “faith alone” or accept Christ while the true church went to the river and baptized Jn 3:22

Thks

So was Jude.

When did I reject the Bible (73)

Council of Trent!

Authorized books of Sacred
Scripture!

They are the following:

Of the Old Testament, the five books of Moses, namely, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy; Josue, Judges, Ruth, the four books of Kings, two of Paralipomenon, the first and second of Esdras, the latter of which is called Nehemias, Tobias, Judith, Esther, Job, the Davidic Psalter of 150 Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, the Canticle of Canticles, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus, Isaias, Jeremias, with Baruch, Ezechiel, Daniel, the twelve minor Prophets, namely, Osee, Joel, Amos, Abdias, Jonas, Micheas, Nahum, Habacuc, Sophonias, Aggeus, Zacharias, Malachias; two books of Machabees, the first and second.

Of the New Testament, the four Gospels, according to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John; the Acts of the Apostles written by Luke the Evangelist; fourteen Epistles of Paul the Apostle, to the Romans, two to the Corinthians, to the Galatians, to the Ephesians, to the Philippians, to the Colossians, two to the Thessalonians, two to Timothy, to Titus, to Philemon, to the Hebrews; two of Peter the Apostle, three of John the Apostle, one of James the Apostle, one of Jude the Apostle, and the Apocalypse of John the Apostle.

If anyone does not accept as sacred and canonical the aforesaid books in their entirety and with all their parts, as they have been accustomed to be read in the Catholic Church and as they are contained in the old Latin Vulgate Edition, and knowingly and deliberately rejects the aforesaid traditions, let him be anathema.

I don have a problem with brothers or bother or half bothers as long as they are not children of Mary!

Cousins ok too

We’re lot and Abraham brothers?

How were the 12 sons of Jacob brothers? How many mothers did they have? (4)

Rachel (2)
Rachel’s maid (2)
Leah (6)
Leah’s maid (2)

But Rachel is the spiritual mother of all the children of Israel!

Thks
The brothers (1/2) of Jesus are the children of MARY and Joseph and He also has at least TWO sisters.

The only reason you do not accept the Bible truth of that fact is because it destroys the false teaching of Mary's perpetual virginity.

It then leaves you with only two choice.................
1. Accept the Word of God as the truth.
2. Accept the word of your denomination.

The actual word in original Greek is BROTHERS and it is not "Cousins". There is no debate over that my friend.

NO. Lot in the Bible was the nephew of Abraham.
Same answer.....in the original Hebreww of the Old Test......the word used in "Nephew" and is not tranlated as Brother.

Jacob had twelve sons by four women12:
  • Leah: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun
  • Rachel: Joseph, Benjamin
  • Leah’s handmaid Zilpah: Gad, Asher
  • Rachel’s handmaid Bilhah: Dan, Naphtali
You said..........
"But Rachel is the spiritual mother of all the children of Israel!"
I do not know where you are going with that, but did you know that she died very young in childbirth delivering Benjamin, the 2nd child.

Also, are you aware that when Rachel left her fathers home in Genesis 31, she stole all of his idols????

When her fathe Laben hunts for them, Rachel hides them by sitting on them. Thus, the story seemed to end favorably. But, is it really the end?

Shortly after arriving in the land, Rachel unexpectedly dies in childbirth. Most readers do not see any connection between her death and Laban’s search in chapter 31. Yet Jewish commentators connect this tragic event to Jacob’s oath to Laban: With whomever you find your gods, do not let him live.’

This oath was fulfilled—not by Laban, but by God Himself: the one who had stolen, had to die.

The Hebrew shows that both Jacob and Rachel realized this connection as well. The name that the dying mother gives to her son – Ben-Oni – means “the son of my iniquity” (און שלי, “my evil”). Understandably, Jacob did not want the child to carry this name, therefore he called him Benjamin, “son of the right hand,” which may be also interpreted as “son of the oath,” since the right hand in the Bible often symbolizes an oath.

Now, is that who you think is the mother of Israel?????

Did I say that?????
Is that what I said????

You do realize that what you posted is "Disingenuous"....dont you?????

What I said was that "all that is needed to be saved, to be born again is found in the Scriptures"!

Who wrote the Scriptures???????

So where in that do you get the idea that Christ is not the rule of faith!

Now, the absurdity of your question is that you believe and have said that TRADITIONS of the Catholic church and water baptism is the rule of faith.

Now........Whould you like to reconsider your question and try again?
The apostolic church wrote the New Testament and approved the canon of scripture by the inspiration of the Spirit

What’s a “Bible Christian”?

Thks

You seem to not know or choose to ignore that there can be an apostle today so that fact completely rules out the Pope as an apostle.

Are you aware of the qualifications to be an apostle??????

I realize that YOU do not accept the authority and directions of the Bible, but nonetheless, The criteria for apostleship are........
(1) a disciple of Jesus during His earthly ministry,
(2) an eyewitness of the Resurrection, and
(3) called and commissioned directly by Christ

Since NO living person today can meet those BIBLE qualification, there are NO apostles today.
There is absolutely no biblical evidence to support such an understanding of the role of apostle today.

As always.........thank you for your opinions as it allow me to correctly teach the Word of God to those who read this.
Can be apostles today!
Must be apostles today or there is no church and no salvation!
Acts list only applies to the choice of Mathias, Paul does not qualify but he is an apostle
And by the fact that some of these requirements are not possible makes them not required,
But apostles are required by Matt 28:19 acts 1:8

The scripture says many of the same things of the apostolic church as it does Christ!

Light of the world: Jn 8:12 / Matt 5:14
Hear: Matt 17:5 acts 3:22 / Matt 18:17
Authority: Matt 28:17 / Jn 20:21
Reconciliation: 2 cor 5:19 / 2 cor 5:18
Forgive sins: Lk 5:20 / Jn 20:23

Truth: Jn 14:6 / 1 Tim 3:15

Jesus Christ and His church are one acts 9:4 eph 5:32 and the only means of salvation! Matt 28:19
acts 16:17

Thks

The apostolic church wrote the New Testament and approved the canon of scripture by the inspiration of the Spirit

What’s a “Bible Christian”?

Thks
NOPE.

The Lord Jesus Christ is the author of the entire Bible.

Colossians 1:16.........
" For in him (Christ) all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him."
The church recognizes that which is canonical; it does not establish the canon.

A book is canonical because it has been recognized by the church. For the church’s sake, a book is canonical because it is the Word of God and declared to be the Word of God.

Back