Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Christians? Using self-defense and Guns?

images

Soo, back to the topic because I've seen what Reba's rolling pin does when she get's backed in a corner. It aint pretty!

I'll pull us back on topic, soon this nation will be invaded and when it happens I know, from experience, the men that stand will, by and large die protecting their families. Those that refuse will, in some cases, depending on the whim of the insurgents, be allowed to watch his wife be raped and children die before he is murdered the cowards death. And I know I'll be, lamely, refuted or rebuffed with that is conjecture, you don't know that. But I do, just as, after a few months study, I knew the Arab Islamist was going to be at war with us before I died, in the mid-sixties.

I should say, it takes a "real man" to be vulnerable.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Last edited:
I should say, it takes a "real man" to be vulnerable.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
The strength of Christ is for us to do that which we can not do in our own strength. For some, to stop a thug from doing what he might do, might take the courage and strength of Christ to take action, otherwise the person might freeze.

A man who is vulnerable to his family will take action to stop a thug from hurting them, he's allowed himself to love and care for them, otherwise, if they don't, the other word I would use is coward.

The strength of Christ is for us to do that which we can not do in our own strength. For some, to stop a thug from doing what he might do, might take the courage and strength of Christ to take action, otherwise the person might freeze.

A man who is vulnerable to his family will take action to stop a thug from hurting them, he's allowed himself to love and care for them, otherwise, if they don't, the other word I would use is coward.
Amen!

Wow what a thread. It's all perspective really. I'm non-violent person. I will never kill anyone. I would hope that no one commits suicide by Edward by attacking me or my charge(s), but that is up to them. They either force my hand or not.

What's with the olt testament/new testament stuff? Is it not one bible? God does not change. Yeah, Jesus was pretty pacifist when He came to earth...that time. Will He protect Himself the next time He comes? Will He protect you?

Are we not to have the mind of Christ? Are we not of one body? The next time that Jesus comes, there will be many deaths at His hand. We are His children and He will protect us to the death (of the perp!). If we have children and family, we are to do the same. If you come home and a man is raping your daughter, you don't start witnessing to him. You kill him.

Who was it that wrote 'David slew his thousands' and God loves him? That's wrong brother.
David slew his tens of thousands...remember the song that the girls were singing about David and Saul, that made Saul angry and jealous? Yeah. :wink

Wow what a thread. It's all perspective really. I'm non-violent person. I will never kill anyone. I would hope that no one commits suicide by Edward by attacking me or my charge(s), but that is up to them. They either force my hand or not.

What's with the olt testament/new testament stuff? Is it not one bible? God does not change. Yeah, Jesus was pretty pacifist when He came to earth...that time. Will He protect Himself the next time He comes? Will He protect you?

Are we not to have the mind of Christ? Are we not of one body? The next time that Jesus comes, there will be many deaths at His hand. We are His children and He will protect us to the death (of the perp!). If we have children and family, we are to do the same. If you come home and a man is raping your daughter, you don't start witnessing to him. You kill him.

Who was it that wrote 'David slew his thousands' and God loves him? That's wrong brother.
David slew his tens of thousands...remember the song that the girls were singing about David and Saul, that made Saul angry and jealous? Yeah. :wink
There wasn't a like button, so I'd thought I'd comment instead.

Excellent post, Edward!

I would just add that I believe the Apostle John is the one who said if he wrote down everything that Jesus DID do while a man on earth, no volumes of books could hold it. The only information we are given in the Bible is that of how to be saved and we were able to get a glimpse of what Jesus was like and did. Other than that, we walk by the Spirit and we do have our own experiences with Him. Some might never have to defend their lives, others will need to.

If someone is convicted in their own minds that they should not do something, then don't do it, but don't preach to everyone else that it is the same for them. A sin can be different for another - example; it is a sin for me to drink but it's not for others. The list goes on and on.

That's possible. But, there was a group of temple guards who were armed. The disciples had two knives or swords, Even if Peter didn't sheath his sword it wasn't likely that he would have made much of a difference. I doubt that two knives or swords would have been sufficient to stop the armed temple guards had violence continued. I suspect that there would have been dead disciples and Jesus would still have been arrested. Of course the assumes that there is not divine intervention.
Hmmm...dead disciples before the crucifixion...wonder how that would have affected the early church and the spread of Christianity?

As I read through the three gospels that give account of Jesus' arrest, I read about how all of His disciples were with him at the last supper and it continues to say that He went with them, not just one or two but all of them, out into the garden called Gethsemane. By this time, only Judas was no longer with them as he had left to fulfill his destiny as foretold by the prophets.

Then they say he stopped at one point and asked them to stay back while he went "over there" to pray. He took with him three of His disciples and asked them to wait with him while he walked just a little farther to pray. Sounds like they were all within relative close proximity to each other and after Jesus' arrest it says they all scattered. Which also fulfills Jesus' prophecy that they would all betray him before the night was over.

Unless I missed something, we don't know they only had two swords or knives. Based on the time period, I think it is safe to say it would be likely that all of his disciples probably carried swords and if the altercation was allowed to continue all of them would have been drawn in and as you say, there's a good chance all of them, including Jesus, would have been killed because they were sorely out-numbered.

That wasn't part of God's plan, as Jesus pointed out. His path was to fulfill prophesy as the perfect and unblemished Lamb of God that would be sacrificed for us all and being killed in hand-to-hand combat was not part of the plan nor would it have fulfilled that ever-so-important sacrificial atonement.

Thanks brother.

It's a good thing that we serve a God of War. It's all over scripture. He will destroy, He could call legions of Angels...and so forth. If God was pacifist, there'd be no hope. Evil would win.

God is Love and He loves all. It probably breaks His heart to have to kill people. But it's their choice, not His to do so. Violence in not a pretty thing, nor desirable as an activity, but it is necessary at times.

(Post removed, ToS 2.4, you are not allowed to equate your opposition in a debate to Satan because they don't see things the same way you do. Obadiah)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Post removed. Response to a deleted post. Obadiah)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back