Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Coronavirus

If I cough or sneeze at least it goes up and not in the direction of others What do you all think?

That's all you really need to do. Protect the elderly. Strong young men rarely have adverse experiences with 19, although it does happen occasionally. In China, the contagious wore surgical masks and N95 masks to protect others from their coughing. The west doesn't know how to make those though, so people walk around barefaced. You may start a new trend. Scuba 19.

West Virginia...
Safest place to be...
No coronavirus.
I could be there by lunchtime...

Of course all that cousins thing would make me stand out....

I find it absolutely amazing that people know the intricate details about a virus and epidemiology but don't have a clue as to how much toilet paper they go through in two weeks.

West Virginia...
Safest place to be...
No coronavirus.

Maybe you'd bring covid-19 with you. So much for their shrangri-la.

I thought banning non essential travel was racist. I do not think non essential travel should be banned, just a ban from certain places or regions where there is an issue until you know what's going on.

But once it's too late it's too late.
How does a non-essential travel ban have anything to do with race? Actually, banning travel from certain particular places or regions could be more easily construed as racist.

Here's a link to a map of the countries where covid-19 has penetrated. Note that this map is already seven days old.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/n...ovid-19-outbreak-us-and-worldwide/4906772002/

I find it absolutely amazing that people know the intricate details about a virus and epidemiology but don't have a clue as to how much toilet paper they go through in two weeks.
What is even more strange is this virus, while it is possible, typically does not induce diarrhea. It's a respiratory illness primarily affecting the throat and lungs more like a pneumonia.

What I'm having a hard time digesting is the reaction to this strain of coronavirus compared to past health outbreaks.

November 2002 to July 2003 the SARS coronavirus, which coincidentally also was first discovered in China, had a nearly identical modus operandi with a 15% mortality rate. By comparison based on current numbers, that is about 5.5 times higher than covid-19. Both are most dangerous to the same groups within the age and health level. The biggest difference is that SARS produced severe symptoms more quickly and so identification of infected persons was more prompt so we were able to contain more quickly. As a result, although it had a much higher death rate, the total victims were fewer already. But in either case, why did we not experience the quarantines and panic-stricken response to SARS as we have with covid-19 especially when it had such a high death rate?

April 2009 to August 2010 we had the H1N1 flu that infected over 24% of the world population in about 1-1/2 years, killing over 284,000 people world-wide (12,000+ in the US). Like covid-19, when the outbreak began we had no vaccine however we did have antivirals that helped with recovery, which we do not have with covid-19. Both H1N1 and covid-19 are spread from person to person very much the same way. Be that as it may, with the rapid spread of H1N1, why did we not have the same reaction with quarantines and lockdowns that we have with covid-19?

December 2013 to March 2016 we had the ebola outbreak which is by far more deadly, killing half (50%) of those that were infected. Fortunately, symptoms were very severe so identification and isolation of infected persons was easier. We never had any treatment options so the only thing we could do for infected persons was to try to keep them as comfortable as possible. But, with such a deadly and severe virus, why didn't we have the same reaction with quarantines, travel bans, and closures that we have with covid-19?

It doesn't make sense.

Here's a link to my information.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...rus-compared-to-past-outbreaks#20142016-Ebola

What I'm having a hard time digesting is the reaction to this strain of coronavirus compared to past health outbreaks.

November 2002 to July 2003 the SARS coronavirus, which coincidentally also was first discovered in China, had a nearly identical modus operandi with a 15% mortality rate. By comparison based on current numbers, that is about 5.5 times higher than covid-19. Both are most dangerous to the same groups within the age and health level. The biggest difference is that SARS produced severe symptoms more quickly and so identification of infected persons was more prompt so we were able to contain more quickly. As a result, although it had a much higher death rate, the total victims were fewer already. But in either case, why did we not experience the quarantines and panic-stricken response to SARS as we have with covid-19 especially when it had such a high death rate?

April 2009 to August 2010 we had the H1N1 flu that infected over 24% of the world population in about 1-1/2 years, killing over 284,000 people world-wide (12,000+ in the US). Like covid-19, when the outbreak began we had no vaccine however we did have antivirals that helped with recovery, which we do not have with covid-19. Both H1N1 and covid-19 are spread from person to person very much the same way. Be that as it may, with the rapid spread of H1N1, why did we not have the same reaction with quarantines and lockdowns that we have with covid-19?

December 2013 to March 2016 we had the ebola outbreak which is by far more deadly, killing half (50%) of those that were infected. Fortunately, symptoms were very severe so identification and isolation of infected persons was easier. We never had any treatment options so the only thing we could do for infected persons was to try to keep them as comfortable as possible. But, with such a deadly and severe virus, why didn't we have the same reaction with quarantines, travel bans, and closures that we have with covid-19?

It doesn't make sense.

Here's a link to my information.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...rus-compared-to-past-outbreaks#20142016-Ebola

Each outbreak is unique unto itself...
MERS and SARS are Corona Virus with unique characteristics. SARS was caught very early. MERS was not but it's CO (infection rate) was low.
SARS was transmittable by birds.
MERS was not.
Covid-19 is not.
Covid-19 was caught way too late... there was an epidemic in action long before the right people knew anything.
This is a case of shutting the barn doors after the horses got out.

Each outbreak is unique unto itself...
MERS and SARS are Corona Virus with unique characteristics. SARS was caught very early. MERS was not but it's CO (infection rate) was low.
SARS was transmittable by birds.
MERS was not.
Covid-19 is not.
Covid-19 was caught way too late... there was an epidemic in action long before the right people knew anything.
This is a case of shutting the barn doors after the horses got out.
But they are outbreaks nonetheless. Covid-19 was first identified in December. It is now March and we are now panicking. H1N1 spread like wildfire and infected nearly 1/4th of the world population in a very short period of time. Even though its death rate was lower, it still presented a major risk to the world and yet we didn't react anywhere close to how we have with covid-19.

Even though the symptoms of covid-19 made it more difficult to identify, once identified, each outbreak had spread quite a bit and personally, with the thought that Ebola has a 50% likelihood of death, it would seem people would be more fearful of it than covid-19 where 80% of infected persons only suffer mildly.

Here's another struggle I'm having with this. Statistically, of those that contact the virus, 80% will experience minor symptoms, such as scratchy throat, coughing, sneezing, and maybe fever not much unlike a cold and about 17% will experience more severe symptoms possibly requiring hospitalization.

Is this thing really bad enough to risk a total economic upheaval that could spiral into another 1030's like depression with its associated starvation, sickness, lawlessness, and violence?

Here's another struggle I'm having with this. Statistically, of those that contact the virus, 80% will experience minor symptoms, such as scratchy throat, coughing, sneezing, and maybe fever not much unlike a cold and about 17% will experience more severe symptoms possibly requiring hospitalization.

Is this thing really bad enough to risk a total economic upheaval that could spiral into another 1030's like depression with its associated starvation, sickness, lawlessness, and violence?
The USA population is 350.5 million people.
Congress is seeking 850 billions to stimulate the economy...that's over $2,500 per citizen.

Now if they were to just send us each a check with every census form...I think that the problem would solve itself.

West Virginia...
Safest place to be...
No coronavirus.

Not like Tennessee ,or even florida doesn't have that ,okeechobee.lol

The USA population is 350.5 million people.
Congress is seeking 850 billions to stimulate the economy...that's over $2,500 per citizen.

Now if they were to just send us each a check with every census form...I think that the problem would solve itself.
How long would $2500.00 support your needs? For me, it wouldn't go very far and I live rather conservatively.

In 1929 the stock market crashed dropping almost 25%, signalling the start of the depression. I just looked at the DJA and it has fallen 32% in the last month. That translates into lost capital and along with the loss of business due to closures and restrictions, people will be laid off.

We do have things in place today that we did not have in 1929 such as unemployment insurance and welfare but those things can't protect a large segment of the population forever when nobody is working.

How long would $2500.00 support your needs? For me, it wouldn't go very far and I live rather conservatively.

In 1929 the stock market crashed dropping almost 25%, signalling the start of the depression. I just looked at the DJA and it has fallen 32% in the last month. That translates into lost capital and along with the loss of business due to closures and restrictions, people will be laid off.

We do have things in place today that we did not have in 1929 such as unemployment insurance and welfare but those things can't protect a large segment of the population forever when nobody is working.
For my household $5,000 (wife and I) it would go far...God gets the first cut and then I could couch sit for several months... about 6 of them. (My wife would have to continue to work...but she works in research anyway...she ain't stopping anytime soon)

Or if I continued to work for the next 6 months...that would buy scuba lessons and equipment and I could add even more and go on an exotic trip to practice my new skills. That's a lot of stimulus to people hard hit by all this.

Back