Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Coronavirus

Its affecting some US hospitals now. Masks are now in such short supply that the CDC has told health care workers doing the tests to use bandannas or scarves over their mouths for their protection.
Masks aren't used to protect the wearer. They are used to protect others. I asked my daughter about it just last Friday. She is the lab manager for two hospitals in western MN. The virus can become airborne and is microscopic and can pass through the mask. The mask captures larger moisture droplets and prevents them from spraying out away from the wearer. This is why healthcare workers are one of the highest risk categories.

Masks aren't used to protect the wearer. They are used to protect others.

There are 2 different kinds of masks used in hospitals. Surgical masks are designed to protect patients from germs exhaled by doctors/nurses. N95 or better are designed to protect doctors and nurses from germs exhaled by patients, as well as to protect patients. N95 have a tight seal around the mouth to keep germs out.

Naturally we don't want elderly doctors catching 19 from patients. The goal is to prevent the spread of 19.

First the first time in history we are shutting the boarders to everyone except citizens and residents.

Maybe China should have shut it's boarder first immediately rather than silencing reporters and critics.

You know I finally found out what you meant about this. China kept awfully quiet about all of this even though they're the first country that it happened to. (Which makes sense since it came from them in the first place.) It's a shame, but I don't think that a lot of people are going to be traveling this summer which is why I'm glad that I didn't really make any plans.

Salons and barber shops in our state have recently shutdown, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if airports were next. As I highly doubt that they're really getting much business right now anyways.

Then again, maybe they won't ramp testing as quickly as expected. They are low on nasal swabs, and the main factory is in one of Italy's super infected regions.

First the tests didn't work right. Then they couldn't test because labs didn't have reagents, and now they can't test because they are almost out of swabs.
I never thought I'd see the day Americans are reduced to hoarding toilet paper and have to beg to be tested.

Masks aren't used to protect the wearer. They are used to protect others. I asked my daughter about it just last Friday. She is the lab manager for two hospitals in western MN. The virus can become airborne and is microscopic and can pass through the mask. The mask captures larger moisture droplets and prevents them from spraying out away from the wearer. This is why healthcare workers are one of the highest risk categories.
Depends on the mask

There are 2 different kinds of masks used in hospitals. Surgical masks are designed to protect patients from germs exhaled by doctors/nurses. N95 or better are designed to protect doctors and nurses from germs exhaled by patients, as well as to protect patients. N95 have a tight seal around the mouth to keep germs out.

Naturally we don't want elderly doctors catching 19 from patients. The goal is to prevent the spread of 19.
Then why would N-95 masks be available from construction companies? A good friend of mine is the CIO in Warsaw, WI and he just sent me a text that they are low on masks at the hospital so they are getting N-95 masks from construction companies.

This is from OSHA.

Surgical Masks

Surgical masks are used as a physical barrier to protect the user from hazards, such as splashes of large droplets of blood or body fluids.

Surgical masks also protect other people against infection from the person wearing the surgical mask. Such masks trap large particles of body fluids that may contain bacteria or viruses expelled by the wearer.

Surgical masks are used for several different purposes, including the following:

• Placed on sick people to limit the spread of infectious respiratory secretions to others.
  • Worn by healthcare providers to prevent accidental contamination of patients' wounds by the organisms normally present in mucus and saliva.
  • Worn by workers to protect themselves from splashes or sprays of blood or bodily fluids; they may also keep contaminated fingers/hands away from the mouth and nose.
Surgical masks are not designed or certified to prevent the inhalation of small airborne contaminants. These particles are not visible to the naked eye but may still be capable of causing infection. Surgical masks are not designed to seal tightly against the user's face. During inhalation, much of the potentially contaminated air can pass through gaps between the face and the surgical mask and not be pulled through the filter material of the mask. Their ability to filter small particles varies significantly based upon the type of material used to make the surgical mask, so they cannot be relied upon to protect workers against airborne infectious agents. Only surgical masks that are cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to be legally marketed in the United States have been tested for their ability to resist blood and body fluids.

Respirators are another story. Here's a link.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/respirators-vs-surgicalmasks-factsheet.html

Then why would N-95 masks be available from construction companies? A good friend of mine is the CIO in Warsaw, WI and he just sent me a text that they are low on masks at the hospital so they are getting N-95 masks from construction companies.
Surgical mask protects others from wearer by a boundary to catch droplets.
Dust mask is slight upgrade as it fits better
N95 is a multi-layer mask that protects wearer by creating a labrynth of fibers that germs/chemicals are hopefully going to stick to instead of making it to the wearer's mouth/nose.
P-100 is and upgrade
Hepa half-face filters are foolproof. Still need goggles for these and all of above.
Hepa full-face is best of all.

Depends on the mask

To further complicate the issue, industrial mask manufacturers have just been released from legal liability for medical suitability. Industrial masks are now being sent to hospitals. Any industrial mask with an exhalation flap won't protect patients, but they will protect the doctors and nurses.

Then why would N-95 masks be available from construction companies?

Due to the shortage of medical masks, industrial mask manufacturers have just been released from legal liability for their masks being used for medical purposes.

This is from OSHA.

Yes, all that. Here's the thing. They don't have enough medical masks, so they are now using anything they can get their hands on. Scarves, nuclear respirators, whatever. Scarves are not rated by OSHA at all. No one knows if they will work or not.

You know I finally found out what you meant about this. China kept awfully quiet about all of this even though they're the first country that it happened to.

Exactly. If you are sick you self isolate. You place a boarder wall around you. Sick people don't spread disease, they stay at home and don't go to work, or cough on others.

Last edited:
The government raised travel advice to highest level and said "do not travel". I'm surprised they have not just banned people from travelling, I mean, they love banning everything. Telling everyone where they can and cannot go would just be normal for government.

I'm guessing there won't be any marriage ceremonies or funerals for a while with gatherings banned.

What about the priest and others who got in trouble. Banned from Buring a loved one. I mean seriously, they need to be buried by there family.

Last edited:
Back