Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Covid-19 in Australia

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The thing is, if one person has it, even after borders are closed it can spread to another and they can spread it to others and it spreads exponentially. How is Australia not seeing that result? What are they doing different?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the backside. The reason for my repeated asking this question and digging like I am is that it is believed by many that we handled it poorly. So, I would like to understand how a country like Australia handled it differently than we did to get the resulting low numbers. Like I said, it's not even a pandemic in Australia. Just another virus. I would hope that our own states and maybe even federal government are asking questions like this rather than just feeding their own specific agendas.
I know there are some doctors here on Youtube (Dr Eric Berg among others) pushing prevention : Vitamin C, D and Zinc. Some say the lockdowns are making people more vulnerable because they are stuck inside with no sunshine (free Vitamin D).

The thing is, if one person has it, even after borders are closed it can spread to another and they can spread it to others and it spreads exponentially. How is Australia not seeing that result? What are they doing different?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the backside. The reason for my repeated asking this question and digging like I am is that it is believed by many that we handled it poorly. So, I would like to understand how a country like Australia handled it differently than we did to get the resulting low numbers. Like I said, it's not even a pandemic in Australia. Just another virus. I would hope that our own states and maybe even federal government are asking questions like this rather than just feeding their own specific agendas.
Different states have different protocols even defying the federal government on Hydroxychloroquine. Some states make it easy to get while others follow the Faucci/Big Pharma line and make it nearly impossible. Saw a map showing the difficulty/ease of obtaining HCQ on none other than Sky News Australia.

As I said we took the pandemic seriously. It was a united effort. Businesses shut down soon.. very limited social gatherings.
Do it early. Nip it in the bud.
I don't like the phrase "we took it seriously." It implies that others don't care or take any precautions. I guess I'm not sure what your definition of "took it seriously" is.

It was taken seriously here in MN. Our governor invoked a stay at home order, businesses were locked down as I already shared, churches were locked down, schools were locked down, people have been wearing masks everywhere that I've been. Even drinking fountains in places of business are temporarily turned off, which I don't understand unless the virus can be found in the water supply but then, the whole city would be infected.

The governor's business lockdowns were imposed in March and lifted with restrictions the end of May. They were reimplemented in November and only recently lifted again with restrictions.

How was it taken more seriously in Australia? Have total lockdowns been in effect since March or did they reopen with restrictions?

People think that because the president didn't invoke a nation-wide order that is the problem. Did the EU or the UN invoke such orders over their respective member countries? No. Each country is responsible for its own citizens.

People forget that the US is composed of individual states and they are responsible for their own citizens. This is why our president delegated that responsibility to them. What's best for New York is not necessarily applicable to Wyoming for example. Population density plays a huge role in the spread of viruses and disease.

But, even in states like MN where we have imposed rather strong restrictions, the virus still spreads and it has done so with far greater reach than in Australia. Let's compare.

Australia
Population ~25,000,000
Total cases ~28,800
Total deaths ~900

Minnesota
Population ~5,600,000
Total cases ~460,000
Total deaths ~6,200

This is a huge difference. Australia has 5x the population but only about 1/15th the total cases. I wonder why?

Different states have different protocols even defying the federal government on Hydroxychloroquine. Some states make it easy to get while others follow the Faucci/Big Pharma line and make it nearly impossible. Saw a map showing the difficulty/ease of obtaining HCQ on none other than Sky News Australia.
What you're talking about would be applicable if the infection rates were similar but the death rates way different. This is not the situation. My question has to do with understanding how they kept the spread of the infection so well in check. Treatment after infection is a totally different question.

I don't like the phrase "we took it seriously." It implies that others don't care or take any precautions. I guess I'm not sure what your definition of "took it seriously" is.

It was taken seriously here in MN. Our governor invoked a stay at home order, businesses were locked down as I already shared, churches were locked down, schools were locked down, people have been wearing masks everywhere that I've been. Even drinking fountains in places of business are temporarily turned off, which I don't understand unless the virus can be found in the water supply but then, the whole city would be infected.

The governor's business lockdowns were imposed in March and lifted with restrictions the end of May. They were reimplemented in November and only recently lifted again with restrictions.

How was it taken more seriously in Australia? Have total lockdowns been in effect since March or did they reopen with restrictions?

People think that because the president didn't invoke a nation-wide order that is the problem. Did the EU or the UN invoke such orders over their respective member countries? No. Each country is responsible for its own citizens.

People forget that the US is composed of individual states and they are responsible for their own citizens. This is why our president delegated that responsibility to them. What's best for New York is not necessarily applicable to Wyoming for example. Population density plays a huge role in the spread of viruses and disease.

But, even in states like MN where we have imposed rather strong restrictions, the virus still spreads and it has done so with far greater reach than in Australia. Let's compare.

Australia
Population ~25,000,000
Total cases ~28,800
Total deaths ~900

Minnesota
Population ~5,600,000
Total cases ~460,000
Total deaths ~6,200

This is a huge difference. Australia has 5x the population but only about 1/15th the total cases. I wonder why?
hard borders. Strict interstate borders. Most people haven't been out of their state for 12 months. And we even had lockdowns where no one travelled. from town to town.
Health first economy second.
You notice UK tried to keep economy going. I think they may have rushed that one. I could be wrong.

I'm at a coffee shop right now. I scanned my attendance . Contact tracing. So if there is an outbreak, people can be told to self isolate.

hard borders. Strict interstate borders. Most people haven't been out of their state for 12 months. And we even had lockdowns where no one travelled. from town to town.
Health first economy second.
You notice UK tried to keep economy going. I think they may have rushed that one. I could be wrong.
So to follow suit, we here in the US would have had to lock our state borders and even city borders. What happened for those who worked in other states? Were they no longer able to go to work? How would a person like me, who lives on a farm, be able to obtain groceries or any other supplies if we can't get into the city?

Refreshing to hear some good news. Where I live, people seem so complacent. The government have been blamed for a lot of the trouble, but individuals have their own part to play too...
Yes, we do. No matter what we do, the most effective (potentially 100%) is social distancing or isolation. I can prove it. What is the chance that you can contract the virus from me right now? We both know the answer to that question is 0%. It is not possible because we are so far apart physically. That's true social distancing or isolation. The best offense with this virus is a good defense. The better we protect ourselves the better we are at protecting others.

Last edited:
We had state and federal working together. Sounds like in America there was buck passing instead of a concerted national plan.
Not necessarily. We did close our national borders to travel rather early. First from China and then from Europe. The only exceptions were US citizens coming home. I don't know how long those restrictions were in place though. Have your borders remained closed to international travel since March?

I'm at a coffee shop right now. I scanned my attendance . Contact tracing. So if there is an outbreak, people can be told to self isolate.
Here in MN we are tested if we experience symptoms and if found positive we are recommended to self-isolate. All blood donations are tested for antibodies too and the donor is informed if they are found positive. Our temperature is checked upon entry to a healthcare facility or dentist prior to being admitted into the building. I have not been found positive yet so I do not know what they do if found positive. Would we be turned away? I do not know.

I do think we lack when it comes to contact tracing. For example. My brother's girl friend was tested positive back in October. It was recommended that she self-isolate but there was no effort either verbally or otherwise to determine who she may have been in contact with and to let them know that she was positive. It was all up to her, which is fine if she takes the time to do it. But, there is no official attempt to back trace it from her.

My brother chose to get tested a few days later because he wasn't feeling 100% for one day and he was positive. He knew the only people he had been in contact with in the prior week was his girlfriend and the dentist's office so he contacted the dentist to let them know. I don't know how diligently others are at doing that.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. We did close our national borders to travel rather early. First from China and then from Europe. The only exceptions were US citizens coming home. I don't know how long those restrictions were in place though. Have your borders remained closed to international travel since March?
Pretty much

Here in MN we are tested if we experience symptoms and if found positive we are recommended to self-isolate. All blood donations are tested for antibodies too and the donor is informed if they are found positive. Our temperature is checked upon entry to a healthcare facility or dentist prior to being admitted into the building. I have not been found positive yet so I do not know what they do if found positive. Would we be turned away? I do not know.

I do think we lack when it comes to contact tracing. For example. My brother's girl friend was tested positive back in October. It was recommended that she self-isolate but there was no effort either verbally or otherwise to determine who she may have been in contact with and to let them know that she was positive. It was all up to her, which is fine if she takes the time to do it. But, there is no official attempt to back trace it from her.

My brother chose to get tested a few days later because he wasn't feeling 100% for one day and he was positive. He knew the only people he had been in contact with in the prior week was his girlfriend and the dentist's office so he contacted the dentist to let them know. I don't know how diligently others are at doing that.
How are they doing? Are they OK now?

Last edited by a moderator:
How are they doing? Are they OK now?
Yes, neither of them experienced serious symptoms. My brother was feeling achy one day. He took NyQuil before going to bed and woke up feeling fine. Knowing his girlfriend was positive about a week earlier, he went in and got tested and was positive. His girlfriend never had any symptoms at all. I'm not sure why she was tested at the time so how they learned she had it, I do not know. Her daughter had it as well. She experienced symptoms like my brother along with a low-grade fever and loss of taste and smell. This is typical of this virus. Most people have little to no symptoms at all.

Back