Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Damage done by use of logical fallacies

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What damage is being done?

This is the damage I mentioned in the OP:

Damage done
When we use logical fallacies, it means that we engage in erroneous/ fallacious reasoning. Therefore, conducting a reasonable conversation is impossible as the issues being discussed have been side-lined and another agenda is being pursued.

So, a good way to hijack a discussion is with a logical fallacy. I encourage all people to be alert to the kinds of logical fallacies used in discussions – wherever – and to point them out here on CFnet to the person who used it. Then get back to the proper discussion.

Is that not adequate as an explanation? If not, would you please help me to understand what is not clear about this kind of damage done?

Oz

Writting,sermons can have fallacies.

Shall we entertain pre trib doctrine on the return of law? Some deny they teach that others don't and bend clear verses that say otherwise. Bias,must be checked.I'm guilty big time of fallacies.

Jason,

Why don't you give reba an example of a fallacy that you commit? That may help reba and me to know where I need to be clearer in speaking to reba.

Many thanks,
Oz

you are telling me what i think is a falsehood?

It is not a fallacy it is what i think ..

reba,

You stated, 'What your posts say to me is if i dont think like you, my thoughts are fallacy'.

What you think about my posts still makes how you stated it a straw man fallacy. Please understand that logical fallacies are not based on what you think. They are based on errors of reasoning in what you say or state.

Oz

I did not ask jason i ask you OZ. and JLB

reba,

I've already given you a couple of examples and you still don't seem to be understanding the nature of logical fallacies.

I thought Jason's approach would be different and he might be able to say it in another way that would be clearer for you.

I was only trying to be helpful when I asked Jason to give one of his examples of a logical fallacy used by him.

Oz

Often when we talk we will discuss. We all often take a position and hold on to with some emotional attachment, ego,and will use a fallacy to change the subject,or defend it.

I was at 959 bay oak ln,I was assisting joey locate a meter for 970 sandfly.I found it and we discussed the next meter to get and the process I mention the age of the home at 959 bay oak and that I needed to photo graph it.

Show me the damage done ?
In my mind you did not understand your own example of the 2 women talking about husbands

reba,

Edited version:

You are dead right and I was in error. I have just re-read the OP, Reba and Joan were discussing their respective husbands.

However, Reba was the one who introduced the discussion about her husband. That was her topic. Joan jumped to her husband, which was not Reba's topic.

That's what a red herring fallacy does. It is so easy to do.

I was discussing with a pre-trib brother in Christ who is a lovely Christian and I immediately jumped to my view, which is post--trib. It was a red herring logical fallacy. I should have been discussing pre-trib and my issues with it. If he wanted to talk about other views, either he or I could have raised them and we decide if we want to go in that direction with our discussion.

Oz

Last edited:
Have,you ever reba ,tried to speak on a topic,taught a class?

I have ,I have a video to post once I receive it.in it's a reason support our case to build a memorial.my service story,my lineage,etc ,my love of history of buildings in vero and elsewhere.

Often when we talk we will discuss. We all often take a position and hold on to with some emotional attachment, ego,and will use a fallacy to change the subject,or defend it.

I was at 959 bay oak ln,I was assisting joey locate a meter for 970 sandfly.I found it and we discussed the next meter to get and the process I mention the age of the home at 959 bay oak and that I needed to photo graph it.

Good example. You changed the topic and thus committed a red herring fallacy.

You are saying a fallacy is an intent to change the subject... interesting . All this talk of fallacy comes back to some one thinking for the other guy.. Again think like me or it is a fallacy

You are saying a fallacy is an intent to change the subject... interesting . All this talk of fallacy comes back to some one thinking for the other guy.. Again think like me or it is a fallacy
That's not think like me, but rather defend your case.If I say your aren't Reba and you will say I am Reba you will surely in a most sarcastic manner show me proof.Robotic thinking would have you agree .

I think i am beginning to understand ...all this talk of red herrings and fallacies in the posts through out the threads are just red herrings and fallacies them selves . changing the topic with the intent to change it.

Good example. You changed the topic and thus committed a red herring fallacy.
Off topic,so Reba understands.Have you ever talked to anyone and see something and mention it.we had a long walk on a acre lot to get the meter and we spoke about things on the way to it.that comes out as a herring but we all do it.

Back