Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

diabetic thread

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I remember when I was first diagnosed with type II and my daughters were asking questions like, will I die if eat certain things. I told them, "Modifying my diet and trying to increase my activity level to manage carbohydrates and control my weight is not so much about dying but rather living without damaging the nerves in my feet more than they already are, keeping my eyesight, keeping my kidneys so I don't end up on dialysis, keeping my toes and my feet so I don't end up losing them, and a host of other possibilities.

I know what can happen, it's just.....really hard. I struggle with a lot of stuff involving organization, including making meals and keeping my house in order, or organizing myself well enough to be able to job hunt (before I got a job I was stuck in the same rut for literal years). So in the end I eat whatever's convenient.
I don't know if it's because I had ADHD as a kid, or if it's executive functioning issues from my anxiety, or just a combination of things that make it hard for me to do stuff I need to do.

I explained why it's difficult for me: I have issues with what's known as executive functioning. This covers a lot of areas, but for me my biggest area is organization. This includes difficulties with meal planning.
That doesn't mean I'm not still responsible for my actions and that I won't still continue trying to improve, but "just do it otherwise xyz will happen" isn't really helpful for me.
I'll bring it up with my therapist next time I see her I guess, and ask if she can help me.

I explained why it's difficult for me: I have issues with what's known as executive functioning. This covers a lot of areas, but for me my biggest area is organization. This includes difficulties with meal planning.
That doesn't mean I'm not still responsible for my actions and that I won't still continue trying to improve, but "just do it otherwise xyz will happen" isn't really helpful for me.
I'll bring it up with my therapist next time I see her I guess, and ask if she can help me.

Thank you for explaining.

No matter how stressed you get, or what problems you have following a healthy diet, it is still far far better than dealing with the reality of type 1 diabetes.

If it is important to you, you will make it "last long".
Friend, buddy, pal..... that simply isn't true. I struggle with things that are "important to me" a lot. For instance, I went years unable to navigate the process of job hunting without significant help..... even though I hated being stuck in that rut with all my heart. It took me a long, long time to find my way out of that.
I don't know if it's an accurate diagnosis, but I'm diagnosed with ADHD. Adults who have ADHD struggle profoundly more than people without ADHD. And even if I don't "actually" had ADHD.....I do still struggle with stuff that comes easy to others.

Friend, buddy, pal..... that simply isn't true. I struggle with things that are "important to me" a lot. For instance, I went years unable to navigate the process of job hunting without significant help..... even though I hated being stuck in that rut with all my heart. It took me a long, long time to find my way out of that.
I don't know if it's an accurate diagnosis, but I'm diagnosed with ADHD. Adults who have ADHD struggle profoundly more than people without ADHD. And even if I don't "actually" had ADHD.....I do still struggle with stuff that comes easy to others.
Didn't "they" prescribe anything for the ADHD?
I hope you don't drive a car.

Sometimes I think I'll never get a grip and probably end up dying an early death. Not that I won't stop trying to improve, but..... it's so hard....

Bought some "no sugar added" Klondike bars for me and my mom (who is also diabetic)
You have to look at how much sugar is still there too.
I found a really good low sugar strawberry jelly at Fry's (Kroger)

I get a blood test after fasting on Tuesday morning.
I was supposed to go last Friday, but my blood sugar dropped so far during Thursday night that I had to get up and eat something...so end of fasting.
Wednesday is my next doctor visit.

Lately my blood sugars have been low after almost every meal.
I hope it is because my exercise level is up.
It has been so humid and wet here the last few weeks that my arthritis is flaring up.
I wonder if that is affecting my BG levels???
Everything else seems to affect it.

My therapist is having me keep a food diary, and then we'll work on changes I can make next session.
That is great, especially if you incorporate your blood-sugar readings, from your monitor, to track each meals influence on the next blood-sugar's reading.
I used that "science" to figure out how much insulin I required so I could eat at Burger King or McDonalds...and a dozen other places.
It allows me to eat with a lot less stress.

Please, remember that I am a type 1 diabetic so shoot up insulin for each meal. And I check my blood sugar/monitor at least 4 times a day.

Win today! There's a coffee shop in my area and they offer sugar free options. They told me the base they use still has sugar, but I asked if they could make the base from scratch and use Splenda in place of sugar and they said they could do that. So I got a totally sugar free frappe!

So, last appointment got delayed just a bit. But I did finally get it done. A1C was a higher, but only by one point. No insulin yet, but we are going to try a stronger medication. Thing is, it costs hundreds of $$. Good news is, they have a system where they can buy directly from the manufacturer and I'll just have to pay $5 for paperwork.

Back