Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

diabetic thread

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Well. My A1C went up to 9. Higher than when I was diagnosed in 2020. Why is this so hard.

I'm currently writing down my blood sugar readings daily until a follow-up dr appointment this coming week. While my dr is looking into maximizing my medication doses. But in the long run, it really just comes down to diet.
Dr says I wouldn't have to watch my diet as much on insulin, but he doesn't want me to have to be on insulin this young.

hi. :)

diet is a big deal, it seems. have you run your current meds by your treatment providers? I think pretty much every single "atypical antipsychotic" has a higher risk of metabolic problems than the older drugs. a former shrink said that he sometimes used low, low, low doses of some of the moderate-potency older drugs vs using "atypicals." he said the results were about the same, over the long haul.

Well.... on long acting insulin. Dr is urging me to improve my diet. And I'm making more of an effort now, than before. I kept telling myself "after this, I will take my diet seriously". But now I'm actually trying again.
It's very hard. It's hard with or without ADHD, but ADHD makes it harder. But I am on meds for the ADHD now, so hopefully that will help in terms of like..... navigating meal prepping and stuff. (Of course, ADHD meds don't solve everything, they just help alleviate the processes that impede your ability to do and focus on tasks. You also have to unlearn the habits and bad coping mechanisms you developed as a result of those impediments. It takes work.)

hi. :)

diet is a big deal, it seems. have you run your current meds by your treatment providers? I think pretty much every single "atypical antipsychotic" has a higher risk of metabolic problems than the older drugs. a former shrink said that he sometimes used low, low, low doses of some of the moderate-potency older drugs vs using "atypicals." he said the results were about the same, over the long haul.
I had considered that the Abilify I'm taking for mood disorder might have caused or sped up my developing diabetes. Don't know that I want to go off the drug, though.... I'll ask my NP about it.

People make fun of type 2 diabetics for basically lifestyling themselves into chronic illness, but some research shows that it's more complex than just diet and lifestyle - though those are large contributing factors. In addition, it's genetic. Some people can eat whatever they want and they will never develop diabetes. Genetics.

hi. I'm not trying to shame you or anything. I also take abilify, and...

-shrug- I apparently fall into the "please take a (major) tranquilizer" diagnostic category. Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective, Bipolar I plus extra, recurrent psychotic depression...doesn't really matter, when it comes to the pill treatment. some sort of neuroleptic/antipsychotic will probably be in the mix. ugh. :-(

Abilify -had- a reputation, way back when, for being the cleanest (metabolic) atypical out there. That was after it was first, first introduced and no one knew what to expect...at the point, it was regarded as a less sedating tranquilizer that seemed to not cause weight gain as much as, say, zyprexa or risperdal. and now...

surprise! it seems "the professionals" are about back to where things started (less problematic than most atypicals, probably somewhat more problematic than most conventional drugs..the other adverse effects, etc. point to somewhat improved tolerability, overall, than most available options...). personally?

getting my abilify dosage lowered (no easy feat...community health clinic...they put everybody on tranquilizers, for any and every indication -ever- , and the instant there's been mania, psychotic depression, etc...its all about that high dose chemical cosh, lol...) has improved my weight, and I think it had/has more to do with having a better sense of "why yes, I am -truly hungry- ... time to eat..." as well as a better sense of "I've eaten too much/I'm truly full/too much fat or sugar, etc...," and so...

rambling. For whatever reason(s), I'm especially prone to the neurological adverse effects of major tranquilizers. abilify has been much, much better in that regard...especially coupled with the DIY Orthomolecular/vitamin cocktail (honestly, it seems that the vitamins and antioxidants probably help anxiety and help me get more mileage out of meds...the big, big, big thing seems to be 0 tremor, 0 stiffness, 0 mega-intense drug induced depression or dysphoria, all that junk...), so...

-shrug- I asked my previous prescriber (clinic...underpaid, they come and go...) about loxapine. its an older one that I think qualifies as medium potency (not high potency like Prolixin or Haldol, not low potency like Thorazine or Seroquel, among the newer ones) and is now being used in inhalable form to treat agitation instead of injections. and so...

ha! pharmacy doesn't even stock it. probably a good thing. turns out, the dosage guidelines are from way back, and brain imaging scans show a need for -lower doses- to get a mix of results and tolerability. and, again: context. clinics...go for high doses, they seem to be really gung ho about those monthly injections (I've politely declined, thank goodness I am in the position to do so...), and they also seem to be big, big, big on sedating mood stabilizers (somehow, I'm only on a moderate dose of lamictal -- not sedating, no required labs, weight neutral...) and...on the especially dangerous end...

it seems they tend to use 2 antipsychotics, together, at the same time, on a fairly regular basis (large studies say...avoid, when at all possible...adverse effects go up, mortality rates go up, costs go up, and benefits do not increase...), and there's also this ridiculous tendency to load up on sedating things (sedating tranquilizer+sedating mood drug + sedating antidepressant...common...is it because so many at the clinic are poor?), which...again: large scale data seems to indicate is often dangerous and not a good practice, especially with so many people loaded up on this mind numbing mixes...

sorry. -rambling- point is, I'm in a somewhat similar position. not dealing with metabolic disorders, but I kind of think a lot of that is just because of the DIY vitamin cocktail (not a "cure" or anything, but...mega-doses of b vitamins, c, e, etc. seem to have a protective effect, both in humans and in animal studies...). I could see about a switch to an older, but not crazy toxic, tranquilizer,, but...

ugh. especially in the context of the clinic at which I get treatment...not looking to mix it up and end up on a more toxic treatment. blah. :-(

ok. not trying to hijack your thread or anything, just...yeah. yeah. :)

oh, btw -- sometimes, wellbutrin is used for a mix of elevating mood a bit and helping concentration. the adverse effects are not to be taken lightly (rarely...seizures!), but I dropped some weight while I was on it (more for depression that involved inability to concentrate...also because I don't do well with ssri, ssnri drugs, and the tca drugs are too harsh for me to tolerate, long term). in big studies, longer term use was associated with a modest overall weight reduction. the seizure risk is real, more of an issue at high doses...I think its not associated with the same sort of liver issues as some other options for add/adhd, but I could be mistaken.

:)

kfCaYJV.jpg

Have started meal planning and using diabetic friendly recipes. This has always been so hard for me, but with my ADHD meds I'm actually having an easier time and even enjoying it.

Well. My A1C went up to 9. Higher than when I was diagnosed in 2020. Why is this so hard.

I'm currently writing down my blood sugar readings daily until a follow-up dr appointment this coming week. While my dr is looking into maximizing my medication doses. But in the long run, it really just comes down to diet.
Dr says I wouldn't have to watch my diet as much on insulin, but he doesn't want me to have to be on insulin this young.
Nine is higher than it should be...duh...
Writing down dosages and diet is indeed crucial for long term care of diabetics.
I have been logging my "eats" for 30 plus years, and know exactly how much insulin I need for every local restaurant...(as I get the same thing nearly every time), as well for what I cook myself.
I also know how my exercise influences my need for insulin too.
On the mornings I skip my (moderate) workout, my insulin requirement goes up one or two units for every other meal that day.
I am 67 now, and was 30 when I was diagnosed as "sweet". :biggrin2

By "logging", you will be able to compare your blood/sugar numbers against your other meds too.
Good luck !

I agree with evenifigoalone. Logging is vital in keeping a chart of all your calories/units.
I have also found it helpful to find an accountability partner. You might consider connecting with someone via email/text about your daily menu and blood sugar. Acountability gives your brain a little "ping" when it wants to cheat and this helps with self discipline. I hope you find this helpful.

Reactions: WIP
Two Youtube doctors I follow for Type2 advice is Dr Eric Berg and Dr. Ken D. Berry. I lost over 60 lbs. before we moved and then lost 30 more with COVID. But, I fell off the wagon and gained a bunch back when we moved back to Houston. Hoping to right my ship and resume losing the fat once again.

Hey. Been a while.
So my A1C is a 10 now. :oops2 Dr says to try to eat a diet made up of veggies, meat, and cheese. For some reason this one suggestion is more helpful than any other thing I've done or tried to do to treat this stupid disease. Like.... ok.

So one change is to buy myself a little veggie tray for snacks at work if I'm hungry. And salads, etc, for lunchs. Minimize bread consumption, or use only low carb breads.

Hey. Been a while.
So my A1C is a 10 now. :oops2 Dr says to try to eat a diet made up of veggies, meat, and cheese. For some reason this one suggestion is more helpful than any other thing I've done or tried to do to treat this stupid disease. Like.... ok.

So one change is to buy myself a little veggie tray for snacks at work if I'm hungry. And salads, etc, for lunchs. Minimize bread consumption, or use only low carb breads.
Getting any exercise?
My A1C has been hovering around 7 the last few times I saw my doc...
I aim to keep it in the low 6's, but I need more exercise...(or less cookies)
I always have an excuse for not walking around the block...or something.
Right now it is cold and rainy here, and dark.
Living right on a major road keeps me off a bike at night, as we are "pre-streetlights" in my area.
A thousand excuses and no ambition...
Bad combo'.

Getting any exercise?
My A1C has been hovering around 7 the last few times I saw my doc...
I aim to keep it in the low 6's, but I need more exercise...(or less cookies)
I always have an excuse for not walking around the block...or something.
Right now it is cold and rainy here, and dark.
Living right on a major road keeps me off a bike at night, as we are "pre-streetlights" in my area.
A thousand excuses and no ambition...
Bad combo'.
Have been making efforts to walk more. At least three times a week

The diet sounds filling and nutritious. I’ve been using chickpea pasta instead of standard pasta for meals and.

It’s ok ✅ doesn’t reheat well but it’s just me here.

Mostly forgetting to, trouble sticking to a routine. Trouble making myself get up and start tasks.
I hear ya...
The trick is to make it a routine, and that happens by doing "it" a a set time every day.
I can do my floor exercises every day IF I do them as soon as I roll out of my nice, warm water bed.
But I can't seem to even do a push up later in the day.
I do them 5 times a week, and after two years I am up to fifty push ups at a time.
I do other things besides push ups too.💪

I hear ya...
The trick is to make it a routine, and that happens by doing "it" a a set time every day.
I can do my floor exercises every day IF I do them as soon as I roll out of my nice, warm water bed.
But I can't seem to even do a push up later in the day.
I do them 5 times a week, and after two years I am up to fifty push ups at a time.
I do other things besides push ups too.💪
I just gotta keep at it until I find the trick that works for me I guess.

Tonight's dinner: canned beef stew with veggies, cheese cubes as a side
Ate (more than I should have) some Oreos for dessert.
Dinty Moore stew?
My favorite.
I had it last week, with extra fresh broccoli stirred into it. 🥦
One can will last me two days.
Oh how I miss the old days, when I ate the whole can plus bread and butter. (and maybe some oreos)

Back