Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Did early Christians ever understand grace?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Could you please tell me what Paul is referring to in the following passage?

Rom 16:25 - Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Good questions. Upon reading this Scripture, two questions arise: "Why does Paul call it 'my Gospel'" ? and "What is this 'mystery' which was kept secret since the world began?

If you will recall, Paul clearly asserted that the Gospel he had received was a DIRECT REVELATION from the Lord Jesus Christ (Galatians 1:11-17). He did not receive his Gospel from the other apostles nor from any third parties. That is why it is "my Gospel" [which of course is no different than the Gospel preached by the other apostles (see Acts 2:22-36)].

As to the "mystery", that term as used by Paul pertains to spiritual truths which had not been revealed in the Old Testament, or even while Christ ministered on earth, but were revealed specifically to Paul. The mystery referred to in Romans 16:25, could very well be a reference to the mystery of Jew and Gentile in one Body -- the Church (Ephesians 3:1-12) which reveals that it is "according to the eternal purpose which He purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord" (v. 11)

1 Cor 2: 7-8 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the lord of glory.

This could well refer to the "mystery" mentioned in Ephesians 1:9-10 (v. 9, but see verses 3-12) which is "that is the dispensation of the fulness of times, He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in Heaven and which are on earth" (v. 10).

Gal 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

The contrast here is between the fact that Peter was appointed as apostle to the Jews (circumcision) whereas Paul was appointed as apostle to the Gentiles (uncircumcision). It was Peter who preached the Gospel to the Jews gathered in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:22-36), and when Paul was commissioned by Christ (Acts 9:15,16) he was sent specifically to the Gentiles. But the Gospel was EXACTLY THE SAME (Acts 20:20,21). Even so, Paul first went to every synagogue and first preached to the Jews, who almost always rejected the Gospel. Then he always turned to the Gentiles.

Gal 1:6 - I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Please note the phrase "would pervert the gospel of Christ". That gives you your clue. That which is termed "another Gospel" is indeed a perverted Gospel, which in the context of the epistle to the Galatians was a "gospel" which preached that salvation was based upon grace + works. That is a totally false Gospel, but it is still being preached in many so-called "Christian" churches. The Gnostics had also introduced "another Gospel" (including mysticism and angel worship) which is condemned in the epistle to the Colossians. There are many false Gospels and false Christs today.

Today I was hearing by a preacher - salvation is a gift, you dont have to do any thing. Even if you dont read the bible or pray or attend a fellowship still you can make it to heaven. Once you accept Jesus then salvation part is finished and all things done after that are rewards. Even he translates that working out salvation with fear and trembling is nothing but just believing in Christ. Now lets assume that everything he says is true but a question remains in my heart.

Why would early believers have to endure so much persecution? They should have secretly believed
Christ and Escape persecution.

Or is that the early believers didnt understand that their salvation is only by grace?

I think you have a limited definition of Grace. It's not the absence of persecution, in fact there are many references in the writings of the Early Church Father's where they consider persecution something positive given by God. Paul considers his sufferings as a positive and in Acts 5:41 some of the disciples were beaten, yet "rejoiced" because they were "found worthy" of persecution. Grace is not absence of suffering.

I think you have a limited definition of Grace. It's not the absence of persecution, in fact there are many references in the writings of the Early Church Father's where they consider persecution something positive given by God. Paul considers his sufferings as a positive and in Acts 5:41 some of the disciples were beaten, yet "rejoiced" because they were "found worthy" of persecution. Grace is not absence of suffering.

with your statement I can see that the revelation of grace to you is also limited.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes on him, shall not die, but have everlasting life.
In this world you will have many troubles, but take heart, for I have overcome the world. ---Jesus Christ.
The world hates you because it hated me first. ---Jesus Christ.

It's our lot in life to be persecuted in whatever manner or form that may take. There are thousands of Christians right now, being killed, tortured, maimed, harrassed, imprisoned...ISIS is beheading Christian children today.

Brother, this has nothing to do with God's grace. It is the natural effect of serving the One True God. But God's grace will keep you throughout any trial or suffering. And in the end, eternal life is yours. So rejoice and be glad.

Just wanted to know that if I secretly believe in Christ, then will I end up in heaven according to Ephesians 2:8 and if that was so then early Christians should have secretly believed and lived an hostile Christian life without making much noise because it's by Grace we are saved and we have nothing to do but just believe because according to our latest grace preachers Your prayer will not save you then why pray??? Your bible reading will not save you then why bible read??? You worship will not save you then why worship?? your fellowship will not save you then why fellowship?? Can't I just believe in Christ and carry-on my own way till I die. Why should I preach, why should I pray, why I should I attend a fellowship, why should I worship because I'll be me in more trouble doing this because if God thinks that I'm doing all this to impress God then I might lose my salvation.

Those two Scriptures are pointing to two different aspects of salvation.

The words of Christ in John 6:29 are to establish the truth that no one can be saved by good works, since all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags. It is enough to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work of redemption. This is the "work" that God requires.

At the same time, what we find in Philippians 2:12 is the outworking of our salvation. We have been saved in order to do good works (Ephesians 2:10) but first of all we are saved by grace through faith, and salvation -- eternal life -- is indeed a gift of God (Ephesians 2:8,9).

The majority of the human race (as well as Christendom) believes that human beings can be saved by their own good works. It is only the pure Gospel of God that declares that "By the deeds [works] of the Law there shall no flesh [man] be justified in His sight; for by the Law is the knowledge of sin" (Romans 3:20).

That's a great point but what's wrong with encouraging outworking of salvation. All we need from today's latest grace preacher is that we don't need to do anything and they also counterpoint saying that whatever outworking things like prayer, fellowship and worship is self-righteousness.

That's a great point but what's wrong with encouraging outworking of salvation. All we need from today's latest grace preacher is that we don't need to do anything and they also counterpoint saying that whatever outworking things like prayer, fellowship and worship is self-righteousness.

Anyone who would discourage Christians from working out their salvation or would mock it would be sinning against the Holy Spirit. To say that Christians don't need to do anything is utterly false. At the same time there are many churches and groups who genuinely believe that salvation is by grace + works of the Law (or good works or water baptism). This was the battle in the churches of Galatia, and it persists even to this day. We cannot overemphasize that salvation is purely and solely by God's grace through faith in the Person and finished work of the LORD Jesus Christ (Acts 16:30,31; 20:20,21).

with your statement I can see that the revelation of grace to you is also limited.

Of course it is, I'm human, but that's beside the point. You made the connection between believing in Christ and escaping persecution. My point is that persecution IS GRACE. At least according to Scripture.

Of course it is, I'm human, but that's beside the point. You made the connection between believing in Christ and escaping persecution. My point is that persecution IS GRACE. At least according to Scripture.

I put this subject because for today's preachers Salvation is as easy as believing Christ and they do emphasize that even if you don't read the bible still you will get to heaven and that's very horrible. What type of church are we being built with these kind of statements?? And this I was not my question but it was the question of today's grace preachers. I was just point that if Salvation was all about just believing in Christ then why would early Christians make so much noise and endure persecution rather they would simply believe in Jesus Christ and go on their own way watching movies, attending parties, taking care of their family, making money because inspite of doing this they would still get into heaven and escape persecution. They would also have fake persecutors but renouncing Christ when the sword was at neck. Because I feel that just believing in Christ and going on your way is same as renouncing Christ when the sword is at your neck.

Anyone who would discourage Christians from working out their salvation or would mock it would be sinning against the Holy Spirit. To say that Christians don't need to do anything is utterly false. At the same time there are many churches and groups who genuinely believe that salvation is by grace + works of the Law (or good works or water baptism). This was the battle in the churches of Galatia, and it persists even to this day. We cannot overemphasize that salvation is purely and solely by God's grace through faith in the Person and finished work of the LORD Jesus Christ (Acts 16:30,31; 20:20,21).

Acts 2:21 - How do you take this verse. Is God not inviting gentiles also to be saved and it's nothing to do with just calling. And some people say that you just need to call on Jesus and you will be saved. I think that's rubbish.

1 Timothy 2:4 - God will have all men be saved and what do you mean by this. If all men are saved then the hell will be empty. Jesus did emphasize about hell and people going there. Can't we mean that this verse can be understood this way - Those who believe and come to know God will be saved and not just knowing about Him but knowing Him

I put this subject because for today's preachers Salvation is as easy as believing Christ and they do emphasize that even if you don't read the bible still you will get to heaven and that's very horrible. What type of church are we being built with these kind of statements?? And this I was not my question but it was the question of today's grace preachers. I was just point that if Salvation was all about just believing in Christ then why would early Christians make so much noise and endure persecution rather they would simply believe in Jesus Christ and go on their own way watching movies, attending parties, taking care of their family, making money because inspite of doing this they would still get into heaven and escape persecution. They would also have fake persecutors but renouncing Christ when the sword was at neck. Because I feel that just believing in Christ and going on your way is same as renouncing Christ when the sword is at your neck.

I agree. The early Church did not believe in sola-fide. I just misunderstood your OP.

Acts 2:21 - How do you take this verse. Is God not inviting gentiles also to be saved and it's nothing to do with just calling. And some people say that you just need to call on Jesus and you will be saved. I think that's rubbish.

Why is it rubbish? If God says that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved, then it cannot be "rubbish" (see Romans 10:8-13)

1 Timothy 2:4 - God will have all men be saved and what do you mean by this. If all men are saved then the hell will be empty.

No, Hell would not be empty if all men were saved. Hell was created for the Devil and his angels, and there are a legion of those. In any event it is not God's will or desire to fill Hell with human beings, and that is the reason we have the Gospel.

Because I feel that just believing in Christ and going on your way is same as renouncing Christ when the sword is at your neck.
Nobody who preaches the true Gospel preaches this about "going on your way" after being saved. If you hear someone preach this, just shut them off.

I agree. The early Church did not believe in sola-fide. I just misunderstood your OP.

It depends on what you mean by "the early church". If you mean the apostolic churches, you only have to read the New Testament to see that in the apostolic churches "sola fide" (by faith alone) was consistently taught throughout the Roman Empire (Acts 20:17-21).
And "sola fide" cannot be isolated from salvation by God's grace alone through faith alone in the Person and finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ alone.

Unfortunately, while the apostles were preaching the true Gospel, the Judaizers and the Gnostics were preaching another Gospel, and that took root in the churches and ultimately in Christendom, until salvation by the seven sacracments, the intervention of Mary, and membership in the Roman Catholic Church became the prevailing doctrine.

It depends on what you mean by "the early church". If you mean the apostolic churches, you only have to read the New Testament to see that in the apostolic churches "sola fide" (by faith alone) was consistently taught throughout the Roman Empire (Acts 20:17-21).
And "sola fide" cannot be isolated from salvation by God's grace alone through faith alone in the Person and finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ alone.

Unfortunately, while the apostles were preaching the true Gospel, the Judaizers and the Gnostics were preaching another Gospel, and that took root in the churches and ultimately in Christendom, until salvation by the seven sacracments, the intervention of Mary, and membership in the Roman Catholic Church became the prevailing doctrine.

No, Hell would not be empty if all men were saved. Hell was created for the Devil and his angels, and there are a legion of those. In any event it is not God's will or desire to fill Hell with human beings, and that is the reason we have the Gospel.

Again you are wrong. Jesus specifically warned people of hell when He was on this earth. So you saying that there won't be any men in hell is utterly rubbish.

Again you are wrong. Jesus specifically warned people of hell when He was on this earth. So you saying that there won't be any men in hell is utterly rubbish.

I did not say that there would be no men in Hell. I said that God does not desire to have any men (people) in Hell, and that is why we have the Gospel. The sad fact is that there are too many who will not believe the Gospel and will therefore find themselves in Hell. And Jesus did warn people many times about the reality of Hell. Unfortunately, there are too many preachers today who avoid any mention of Hell, and there are plenty of people today who absolutely deny the reality and awfulness of Hell.

I see faith in Christ being taught in Acts 20, and other places in Scripture, but I don't see the doctrine of sola-fide being taught anywhere. What was consistently taught throughout the Roman Empire was specifically Catholic doctrines, as evidenced by the Apostles and their immediate successors. I have volumes of documents from those successors that teach a hierarchy, oracular confession for the forgiveness of sins, baptism as necessary for salvation, the Mass, etc. Again, these were the men that received these teachings straight from the Apostles. The fact that's most damning to your side is that there are no rebuttals or counter-documents to these teachings. There was only acceptance.

Where does the Catholic Church teach that the Jewish law (specifically circumcision) is NECESSARY for salvation? This is what the Judaizers taught, right? As far as I know, that's the only thing they taught that was contrary to Paul's teaching. As far as the Gnostics are concerned, this charge is even more absurd, as the Catholic Church fought the Gnostic heresies for centuries. The same Catholic Church that was simultaneously teaching "salvation by the seven sacraments, the intervention of Mary, and membership in the Roman Catholic Church." Are you saying the Church was fighting the heresies, while at the same time accepting them? Are you saying the Gnostics taught that "membership in the Roman Catholic Church" was necessary, while at the same time condemning Her doctrines? Do you have any documents to back up this claim?

I did not say that there would be no men in Hell. I said that God does not desire to have any men (people) in Hell, and that is why we have the Gospel. The sad fact is that there are too many who will not believe the Gospel and will therefore find themselves in Hell. And Jesus did warn people many times about the reality of Hell. Unfortunately, there are too many preachers today who avoid any mention of Hell, and there are plenty of people today who absolutely deny the reality and awfulness of Hell.

:thumb

I see faith in Christ being taught in Acts 20, and other places in Scripture, but I don't see the doctrine of sola-fide being taught anywhere.

Sola fide begins with Abel (Heb 11:4) and continues right through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation (66 inspired books in our Bibles). The theme of the entire Bible is sola fide. The key Scripture is Genesis 15:6, which is repeated again and again in the Word of God (Rom 4:3; Gal 3:6; Jas 2:23). In fact, the entire 4th chapter of Romans and the 3rd chapter of Galatians are devoted to this critical issue.

That we are justified by faith is plainly and clearly stated in Romans 3:21-31:
21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
29Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
30Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
31Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Notice the repitition of the word "faith" and "believe"? If this portion of Scripture is insufficient to establish that justification is by faith, then nothing will suffice. And if the Holy Spirit taught this to the apostles, and the apostles preached it throughout the Roman Empire, it is hardly likely that they would renege on this key doctrine as you seem to believe. Christ has done absolutely everything for our salvation. All we can do is repent and believe it, just as Abraham BELIEVED GOD and it was imputed to him for righteousness.

BTW, the Reformers rejected everything that was held as dogma by the RCC, and preached sola fide. But the Council of Trent rejected the truth and maintained the lie.

Sola fide begins with Abel (Heb 11:4) and continues right through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation (66 inspired books in our Bibles). The theme of the entire Bible is sola fide. The key Scripture is Genesis 15:6, which is repeated again and again in the Word of God (Rom 4:3; Gal 3:6; Jas 2:23). In fact, the entire 4th chapter of Romans and the 3rd chapter of Galatians are devoted to this critical issue.

That we are justified by faith is plainly and clearly stated in Romans 3:21-31:
21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
29Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
30Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
31Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Notice the repitition of the word "faith" and "believe"? If this portion of Scripture is insufficient to establish that justification is by faith, then nothing will suffice. And if the Holy Spirit taught this to the apostles, and the apostles preached it throughout the Roman Empire, it is hardly likely that they would renege on this key doctrine as you seem to believe. Christ has done absolutely everything for our salvation. All we can do is repent and believe it, just as Abraham BELIEVED GOD and it was imputed to him for righteousness.

BTW, the Reformers rejected everything that was held as dogma by the RCC, and preached sola fide. But the Council of Trent rejected the truth and maintained the lie.

So, the answer to my questions above is....silence? You have no proof of the Catholic Church accepting the doctrines of "the Judaizers and the Gnostics", do you? You have no documents written within the first 4 centuries of Christianity that reject the specifically Catholic doctrines you now reject, do you? Thanks.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back