Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Does James 2 Teach Works for Salvation?

It is written..."Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?" (Rom 6:16)
Commit a sin, and you manifest whom you serve.
You forgot to look up the word SERVANT...

A PERSON WHO PERFORMS DUTIES FOR ANOTHER...

I don't think any Christian on this forum performs DUTIES for the evil one.

Of course! The difference is that Christians are not slaves to sinful behavior, as Paul clearly writes in Romans 7.
I see that Hopeful gave you a like.
So one of us, either him or me, don't understand what you stated above.

You stated that Christians are not slaves to sinful behavior.

So, a simple question:
Do we Christians still sin at times?

I see that Hopeful gave you a like.
So one of us, either him or me, don't understand what you stated above.

You stated that Christians are not slaves to sinful behavior.

So, a simple question:
Do we Christians still sin at times?
Yes, of course Christians sin at times, but we are not slaves to sin. In other words, sin doesn't control us as it does non-Christians. Paul wrote in Romans 7:17-20 that "But now it is no longer me doing it, but sin that lives in me. For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh. For I want to do the good, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but I do the very evil I do not want! Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer me doing it but sin that lives in me." That is describing the behavior of a non-Christian.

Christians live in our earthly bodies until we die and go to be with the Lord. We still sin on occasion, but not willfully. And when we do, then we repent. But our behavior is not determined by the sinful nature that we inherited from Adam. Romans 6:11-12, "So you too consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its desires". Clearly, Christians can control their sinful behavior (as free people), whereas non-Christians cannot (since they are slaves to sin).

Yes, of course Christians sin at times, but we are not slaves to sin. In other words, sin doesn't control us as it does non-Christians. Paul wrote in Romans 7:17-20 that "But now it is no longer me doing it, but sin that lives in me. For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh. For I want to do the good, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but I do the very evil I do not want! Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer me doing it but sin that lives in me." That is describing the behavior of a non-Christian.

Christians live in our earthly bodies until we die and go to be with the Lord. We still sin on occasion, but not willfully. And when we do, then we repent. But our behavior is not determined by the sinful nature that we inherited from Adam. Romans 6:11-12, "So you too consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its desires". Clearly, Christians can control their sinful behavior (as free people), whereas non-Christians cannot (since they are slaves to sin).
Amen. Agreed to all.
The other poster believes in sinless perfection....I just don't see this being taught in the NT.
In fact, the verse you used:
Romans 6:11-12 states, CONSIDER YOURSELVES DEAD TO SIN....
SIN
Not sins.

Two totally different ideas.
As you've explained.

Jethro Bodine

Did you find anything wrong with those paragraphs from the CCC?
I think it was numbers 160 to 163...

I can't find anything wrong with what it states.
I read it.

The deceptive part is how Catholicism defines faith. So on the surface it leaves out the main difference between them and protestants. And I feel that's intentional.

jaybo

J,
Could you please read my post no. 1479 and let me know what about it you find to be incorrect?
I can't see anything wrong with it.
Thanks.

What happens to you when your old sins are washed away? "...and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins..."
Are you not perfectly sinless?

No you are not perfectly sinless because you still have the same physical body you had when you were born from your mother.

You keep ignoring all the many scriptures that everyone keeps giving you that prove your doctrine is not biblically inspired.

Denying the truth of the scriptures is never going to make your "theology" sound.

You are just hiding in the darkness of the lie you believed which keeps you from confessing your sins and being forgiven, believing that you have been perfectly sinless ever since you were water baptized.

Your spirit was born again, not your body.

Your flesh is not born again of the Spirit.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:6

Paul warns water baptized Christians, to not let the sin in their flesh, rule over them, and make them slaves to it.

Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
Romans 6:12

JLB

WHAT'S THE MAIN DIFFERENCE?!

Help!
Catholicism defines faith as faith and works as if they are by definition one and the same thing. So when a Catholic reads justification by faith it instantly means justification by faith and works to them. You know, the faithful working of all the rituals and deeds they are told to do. And that is what it means to be justified by faith to them. It's the Catholic's deceptive ploy to drag people down into a works justification gospel while appearing to be teaching a faith justification gospel.

WHAT'S THE MAIN DIFFERENCE?!

Help!
To explain it a little more succinctly:

Catholics believe that the righteousness that they have by faith is their righteous obedience done in faith. To them that is the righteousness slowly infused in them by God's grace by which they will become righteous, and thus, saved on the Day of Christ.

Protestants believe that the righteousness that they have by faith is the righteousness of Christ's perfect obedience imputed to them as a free gift through their faith in God's forgiveness, apart from any consideration of righteous work performed to gain that righteousness. For them that is a righteousness that comes from God, and is the righteousness by which they are declared righteous and saved, now, in this life.

Last edited:
Back