Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Faith without works........is Faith.

21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled
in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight--
23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister. Colossians 1:21-23

We are reconciled to God if we continue in the faith, and are not moved away from the hope of the Gospel.
Where does these verses speak of loss of salvation? Why bring up verses that don't say what you're claiming?

The point of this passage is that God WILL "present us holy and blameless" IF indeed we continue in the faith. otoh, if we don't continue in the faith, God CANNOT present us holy and blameless.

There isn't anything here about loss of salvation. There is a warning against not continuing in the faith.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free from false teaching and false doctrine.
That's what I've been trying to teach y'all.

...if what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.
1 John 2:24

There's the condition.
Nope. John uses the word abiding in the sense of fellowship. Ch 1 introduces the overall theme of 1 John, which is about fellowship. Not getting or staying saved.
24 Therefore let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.
25 And this is the promise that He has promised us--eternal life.
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you.
1 John 2:24-26
No where does the Bible describe abiding in Him as having eternal life.

Eternal life is promised to those who have faith in Christ, and continue to have faith steadfast unto the end.
Only the first part of this sentence is correct. Not the second half. You've yet to provide any verse that supports your claim about continued faith in order to continue to be saved.

21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled
in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight--
23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister. Colossians 1:21-23

We are reconciled to God if we continue in the faith, and are not moved away from the hope of the Gospel.
Where does these verses speak of loss of salvation? Why bring up verses that don't say what you're claiming?

The point of this passage is that God WILL "present us holy and blameless" IF indeed we continue in the faith. otoh, if we don't continue in the faith, God CANNOT present us holy and blameless.

There isn't anything here about loss of salvation. There is a warning against not continuing in the faith.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free from false teaching and false doctrine.
That's what I've been trying to teach y'all.

...if what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.
1 John 2:24

There's the condition.
Nope. John uses the word abiding in the sense of fellowship. Ch 1 introduces the overall theme of 1 John, which is about fellowship. Not getting or staying saved.
24 Therefore let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.
25 And this is the promise that He has promised us--eternal life.
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you.
1 John 2:24-26

Eternal life is promised to those who have faith in Christ, and continue to have faith steadfast unto the end.
Only the first part of this sentence is correct. Not the second half. You've yet to provide any verse that supports your claim about continued faith in order to continue to be saved.

He did mention forgiveness as a gift in the context of Romans. Let me refresh your memory:

"24 being justified as a gift...through the redemption (the forgiveness of sins--see below) which is in Christ Jesus" (Romans 3:24 NASB bold and parenthesis mine)

" redemption, the forgiveness of sins" (Colossians 1:14 NASB)

v.24 says that "being justified" is the gift; NOT forgiveness. And 5:15,16,17 also describes justification as a gift of God.

Until you can prove that forgiveness is an irrevocable gift in the kingdom of God--in direct contradiction to Jesus--it's impossible for justification through the forgiveness of sins to be included in the calling and gifts to Israel that Paul says are irrevocable.
No, the burden of proof is on your claim that Paul excluded the gift of eternal life from God's gifts that are irrevocable. Thus far, not even close.

I've shown from Paul's own definition that eternal life is a gift of God, AND that God's gifts are irrevocable.

Simple logic: If A = B, and B = C, THEN A = C.

I agree completely. He leads us into divine good. But He does not force the believer to do divine Good.

Eph 2:10~~King James Bible
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

There is no promise in the word that we WILL walk in them after we have eternal life in Christ. In fact, 98% of the bible would not be written if we "just will" do DIVINE good after we are saved.

It's a fact they do.

The context for what Paul meant by 'gift' in 11:29 is found where Paul clearly defined what he meant by 'gift' earlier in Romans. And so, there is no presumption or assumption at all about what Paul meant in 11:29 and what gifts of God are irreevocable.

You have already been shown time and again, that the words eternal life, does not appear in Romans 11:29.

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. Romans 11:29

The rest of your post, is more of what I have come to suspect from those that add their made up words to scripture, to prop up their made up doctrine.

Your going to have to do better than - "that's irrelevant".

As long as the scripture in Romans 11:29 does not contain the words eternal life, your "argument" is meaningless.

As anyone can clearly see, by actually reading what these words say, it's clear that to continue to remain reconciled to God, one must continue in the faith, by which they were first saved, and not be moved away from the hope of salvation.

now He has reconciled...if indeed you continue in the faith,
grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard,

Denying what the scriptures plainly say, shows that your doctrine is askew, with a predetermined view that's clouds the truth of the scriptures.

JLB

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. John 15:6

These are the words that Jesus Christ says about abiding in Him.

This clearly teaches that the life [the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus] of the Vine, flows to the branch that is abiding in Him.

JLB

The key in understanding Scripture is what one believes, not what one says. If we keep the "says" out of it, we can more easily answer the questions.

So, if one believes in Jesus Christ for eternal life, they are saved. No argument. But, if the believer doesn't keep His commandments? He is a disobedient believer. There are many believers who haven't grown up in their salvation (no spiritual growth), so it should be obvious that God's Word isn't in them.

God's Word is only in those who study it and take it regularly. Many don't, unfortunately.

Ccontextually, Paul had already described and defined what he meant by God's gifts before he wrote Rom 11:29. So we know what he meant in that verse by considering what he described/defined as God's gifts:
1:11 is about spiritual gifts, which are irrevocable.
3:24, 5:15,16,17 is about justification, which is irrevocable.
6:23 is about eternal life, which is irrevocable.

And, there are no verses that teach that any of these are revocable.

By context we mean the words that come

Yes, God called the Israelites His people. And that calling is irrevocable. And, yes, He destroyed the entire first generation of the Exodus except 2; Joshua and Caleb. Even Moses didn't make it to the promised land. Yet, that in no way revoked God's calling the Israelites His people.

I don't understand how this question relates to the statement before it.

OK. And the point?

I'm not going to argue that prophecy is a gift, but where does the Bible call it that?

Since the gift of God is eternal life, and God's gifts are irrevocable, the apostate is possesses eternal life.

Clearly, Jesus isn't speaking literally here, but figuratively. He used a metaphor reflecting the agricultural economy of the day. When branches aren't productive, they are unusable and cast off. There is no reason to assume this means loss of salvation, especially since we know that eternal life is a gift of God that is irrevocable.

Casting off a branch in figurative language doesn't "trump" Paul's teaching about God's gifts being irrevocable.

Jesus was teaching that those who aren't productive will not be used by God. In Jesus' day, the general consensus by the Jews was that since they were His chosen people, He was using them for His purposes. It was a shock to hear that God would cast them aside, as we see He did for the entire people, and turned to the Gentiles. Remember that Jesus was speaking to very orthodox Jews. For them to think that God would cast them off and use Gentiles, whom they referred to as 'dogs', was quite shocking to them.

So, burning branches and throwing out unusable salt has nothing to do with salvation, but everything to do with being useful or unusable to God. The Jews prided themselves on their election and couldn't imagine that God would ever cast them off and use Gentiles for anything.

Everything Jesus said has to do with salvation. Without Jesus, you have no Paul and no salvation. Even Paul refers to the gospel and salvation. Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel: it is the power of God for salvation to every one who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Jesus gave us the words of life. Paul gave us writings, but there is nothing in Paul that can be seen, unless it is seen in the light of Christ Jesus. So that is the 1st principle. Much as I like Paul, without Jesus, his writings are meaningless, not meaningless to those who know Jesus, but meaningless without Christ.

God created the entire universe by his word, so it should come as no surprise that his kingdom is created by his word; the very words Jesus gave us. Indeed the word is the active agent in salvation. For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 This agrees with John 6:63 - It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

So there is no support for your understanding. Jesus said, “Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Mt. 7:21 So that settles the doing question.

Jesus said many will say they did mighty works in his name - 'On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers. Every one then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rock; Mt. 7:22-24

I take it these people will be thinking they are believers and so they are saved, but Jesus calls them evil doers because they did not do his word. This agrees with James 1:22 - 'be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

No evil doers in the kingdom -
Matthew 13:41
The Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers,

Last edited:
You have already been shown time and again, that the words eternal life, does not appear in Romans 11:29.

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. Romans 11:29

The rest of your post, is more of what I have come to suspect from those that add their made up words to scripture, to prop up their made up doctrine.
Where is the evidence that Paul excluded the gift of eternal life from the gifts of God that are irrevocable???

He himself described eternal life as a gift of God in Rom 6:23. An he himself wrote that God's gifts are irrevocable. So where did Paul exclude the gift of eternal life from the gifts of God that are irrevocable?

Your going to have to do better than - "that's irrelevant".
I did much better than that. I proved OSAS from Romans.

As long as the scripture in Romans 11:29 does not contain the words eternal life, your "argument" is meaningless.
Rather, this statement is meaningless, ESPECIALLY SINCE Paul himself defined eternal life as a gift of God before he wrote that God's gifts are irrevocable.

Denying what the scriptures plainly say, shows that your doctrine is askew, with a predetermined view that's clouds the truth of the scriptures.JLB
This statement directly describes what is wrong with the conditional security folk.

When Paul calls eternal life a gift of God and then says that God's gifts are irrevocable, yet one denies that eternal life is irreocable, that is denying what Scriptures plainly say.

And, add to that the FACT that there are no verses that tell us that one can lose their salvation, and we know that conditional security is a skewed doctrine.

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. John 15:6

These are the words that Jesus Christ says about abiding in Him.
Yes, they are. Unless one understands what He meant by "abiding in Me", one cannot comprehend what He is saying.

This clearly teaches that the life [the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus] of the Vine, flows to the branch that is abiding in Him.JLB
Correct. And that life is called eternal life. And those who have believed HAVE that life. And that life is a gift of God, and God's gifts are irrevocable.

And no one has yet shown that Paul excluded the gift of eternal life from the gifts of God that are irrevocable.

Everything Jesus said has to do with salvation. Without Jesus, you have no Paul and no salvation. Even Paul refers to the gospel and salvation. Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel: it is the power of God for salvation to every one who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Jesus gave us the words of life. Paul gave us writings, but there is nothing in Paul that can be seen, unless it is seen in the light of Christ Jesus. So that is the 1st principle. Much as I like Paul, without Jesus, his writings are meaningless, not meaningless to those who know Jesus, but meaningless without Christ.

God created the entire universe by his word, so it should come as no surprise that his kingdom is created by his word; the very words Jesus gave us. Indeed the word is the active agent in salvation. For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 This agrees with John 6:63 - It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

So there is no support for your understanding.
Really? Just this claim? Why not rather go through what I posted and refute it point by point, if that is possible? Anyone can make a claim about anything. So what. If my claims about what Paul wrote are wrong, it should be easy to refute. So please be my guest.

All that talk about Paul's writing being "meaningless without Christ" is completely irrelevant. Why? Because we DO HAVE Christ. So all of his writings ARE Truth. And he defined eternal life as a gift of God, and he said that God's gifts are irrevocable.

Here's the logic that will be denied only by the irrational:
IF A = B, and B = C, then A = C

Rom 6:23 eternal life (A) is a gift of God (B).
Rom 11:29 the gifts of God (B) are irrevocable {C}.
Eternal life (A) is irrevocable {C}.

Please be my guest and refute this logic.

Jesus said, “Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Mt. 7:21 So that settles the doing question.
What does this have to do with eternal security? This passage is about those who never believed in Him.

Jesus said many will say they did mighty works in his name - 'On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.
Though they viewed Him as Lord, they never viewed Him as Savior. Pretty obvious, really.

Every one then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rock; Mt. 7:22-24

I take it these people will be thinking they are believers and so they are saved
I view them to hold a doctrine similar to the RCC, who believe they must do things in order to be saved. The RCC does not believe in faith alone in Christ alone.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
FreeGrace a direct question... So Christian Joe got caught up in an affair.. He is scared his wife will find out so he is lying to her... while doing so he has a heart attack and dies.. Heaven or hell which is his eternity?

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
FreeGrace: a direct question... So Christian Joe got caught up in an affair.. He is scared his wife will find out so he is lying to her... while doing so he has a heart attack and dies.. Heaven or hell which is his eternity?
Your question involves a Christian. I'll assume the definition according to Scripture. :) In that case, he goes to heaven. Probably his heart attack was God's divine discipline, per 1 Cor 11:30. And he loses whatever eternal rewards he had earned up to that point. 2 Jn 8 -
Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. KJV
Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward. NASB
Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. NIV

It think it's clear that believers CAN lose those things that they have worked for, and may not be rewarded fully as a result.

If one believes that lying will lose one's salvation, then no one ever will go to heaven. Because no one has never not lied. And if that list of sins In Rev 21:8 results in loss of salvation, then we're all done.

Christ died for all sin. Therefore, sin cannot be the issue for ending up in hell. The only reason people will be cast into the lake of fire is because their names were not in the book of life (Rev 20:15). Meaning, they did not possess eternal life.

And we know that eternal life is a gift of God (Rom 6:23) and that God's gifts are irrevocable (Rom 11:29).

And we know that no one yet has shown that Paul meant to exclude the gift of eternal life from God's gifts that are irrevocable.

Great question, btw.

So you believe a lying cheating person goes to heaven... in spite of The Revelation 21:8 .. Thanks that clears up a lot for me...

In that line of thinking .. Christian Joe could be doing all the above drop dead.. defy the above scripture and be in heaven..
I have gone back and forth over this topic for years and years ... I am coming to a conclusion.

Last edited:
If one believes that lying will lose one's salvation, then no one ever will go to heaven. Because no one has never not lied. And if that list of sins In Rev 21:8 results in loss of salvation, then we're all done.

I believe that being an *habitual* liar can most definitely lose ones salvation.

As you know, there are those of us that believe one can, as a lifestyle and without concern commit those sins and head straight to Hell because of it. I mean that's what the verse says after all, if not, what do you think it means to "have a part in the lake of fire" as mentioned in Rev 21:8 ?

But, since Father is just and faithful to forgive us our sin as in:...

1 John 1:9, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

...mistakes can be made and there is a big difference in mistakes that we ask forgiveness and are truly sorry for and committing a sin regularly without concern of asking forgiveness and/or making no attempt to repent or stop that sin. That can happen when people either just don't care or they justify a sin as ok just so they can commit it regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

So there is no support for your understanding. Jesus said, “Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Mt. 7:21 So that settles the doing question.

Jesus said many will say they did mighty works in his name - 'On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers. Every one then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rock; Mt. 7:22-24

I take it these people will be thinking they are believers and so they are saved, but Jesus calls them evil doers because they did not do his word. This agrees with James 1:22 - 'be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

No evil doers in the kingdom -
Matthew 13:41
The Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers,

Everything Paul taught, is built upon the bedrock of the foundation of the sayings of Jesus Christ.

JLB

So you believe a lying cheating person goes to heaven... in spite of The Revelation 21:8 .. Thanks that clears up a lot for me...

In that line of thinking .. Christian Joe could be doing all the above drop dead.. defy the above scripture and be in heaven..
I have gone back and forth over this topic for years and years ... I am coming to a conclusion.

The point you are making is a clear and plain example from the scriptures for us to take heed to, be taught from.

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life to turn us away from the snares of death. Proverbs 14:27

Those that teach a lawless Gospel that ignores the plain truth of Gods word and teach others to also disregard His truth, will have to answer for this on the Day of Judgement.

The lying and sexually immoral will not inherit the the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21

Really? Just this claim? Why not rather go through what I posted and refute it point by point, if that is possible? Anyone can make a claim about anything. So what. If my claims about what Paul wrote are wrong, it should be easy to refute. So please be my guest.

All that talk about Paul's writing being "meaningless without Christ" is completely irrelevant. Why? Because we DO HAVE Christ. So all of his writings ARE Truth. And he defined eternal life as a gift of God, and he said that God's gifts are irrevocable.

Jesus refutes your premise that all believers are saved as soon as they believe. Jesus said not all believers shall enter the kingdom, only those who do the will of the Father. Mt. 7:21

Here's the logic that will be denied only by the irrational:
IF A = B, and B = C, then A = C

Rom 6:23 eternal life (A) is a gift of God (B).
Rom 11:29 the gifts of God (B) are irrevocable {C}.
Eternal life (A) is irrevocable {C}.

Please be my guest and refute this logic.

As a promise it is irrevocable. Why do you think Paul quoted the Scripture regarding the covenant God made with Jacob and his descendants? God will take away the sins of Jacob. Ro. 11:26,27 So Paul is saying the covenant and therefore the promise of eternal life has not been revoked. So the covenant God made with Jacob/Israel still stands.

What does this have to do with eternal security? This passage is about those who never believed in Him.

No. Non believers would never call him Lord. Only believers call him Lord.

Though they viewed Him as Lord, they never viewed Him as Savior. Pretty obvious, really.

What does this mean? Who views him as Lord and not as Saviour?

Last edited:
I believe that being an *habitual* liar can most definitely lose ones salvation.
Yes, the willful, habitual nature of the liar's sin signifying an 'I don't care about Christ and his forgiveness anymore' attitude. An attitude that will eventually result in him being lost. He has trampled on the blood of Christ through which he was sanctified, treating it with contempt (Hebrews 10:26-29 NASB). Just as the unmerciful servant treated his Master's forgiveness with contempt and lost that forgiveness (Matthew 18:23-35 NASB).

Besides the half a dozen other passages that show us salvation can be lost, these two passages--Matthew 18:23-35, and Hebrews 10:26-29--are probably most responsible for getting me off the fence between OSAS and non-OSAS. OSAS has the most difficulty dealing with these.

...mistakes can be made and there is a big difference in mistakes that we ask forgiveness and are truly sorry for and committing a sin regularly without concern of asking forgiveness and/or making no attempt to repent or stop that sin. That can happen when people either just don't care or they justify a sin as ok just so they can commit it regularly.
Bingo!

Those that teach a lawless Gospel that ignores the plain truth of Gods word and teach others to also disregard His truth, will have to answer for this on the Day of Judgement.
Reminds me of this scripture:

"16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are." (1 Corinthians 3:17 NASB)

I pity the person who teaches others that they can sin willfully and wantonly, even denying Christ who saved them, and they will still be saved on the Day of Wrath. The believer who takes that doctrine to heart and does just what they were taught (sins willfully, denying Christ) will be destroyed, and so will the person who taught it to them.

Pretty sobering stuff this morning, folks.

Back