Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

fired Over Anti Gay Comment

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
aLoneVoice said:
I don't think it is strange at all.... Matthew 5:10-12 says it best - so I will just quote it here:

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

No - not strange at all.
485883225463cac1a843dc.gif

Yes - Strange! JG's Duck thinks that it is strange so it must be!
rire.gif

Solo said:
485883225463cac1a843dc.gif

Yes - Strange! JG's Duck thinks that it is strange so it must be!
rire.gif

I am sorry that you believe Scripture to be strange. :o

I would like to point out a difference in slurs:

For blacks, there is the N-word. It is not even polite to write it out -- just address it by the first letter. A non-black uses this at his or her own peril.

For gays, there is "faggot." It is ok to say what this word it. For many cases, it is considered ok to call call gays this. But maybe we are seeing a trend? Will this become the "F-word"? Ok. "The other F-Word."

For Christians, there is not really an equivalent. The most I have heard are "holy rollers" or "fundamentalists," which is not even insulting to many Christians There may be some others, but there is nothing similar I can think of to a word that may eventually only be known by its first letter.

Quath said:
I would like to point out a difference in slurs:

For blacks, there is the N-word. It is not even polite to write it out -- just address it by the first letter. A non-black uses this at his or her own peril.

For gays, there is "faggot." It is ok to say what this word it. For many cases, it is considered ok to call call gays this. But maybe we are seeing a trend? Will this become the "F-word"? Ok. "The other F-Word."

For Christians, there is not really an equivalent. The most I have heard are "holy rollers" or "fundamentalists," which is not even insulting to many Christians There may be some others, but there is nothing similar I can think of to a word that may eventually only be known by its first letter.
In line with your thinking then all atheists will be called the "A-word" in a totally political correct world.

Solo said:
In line with your thinking then all atheists will be called the "A-word" in a totally political correct world.
Heh. Atheists don't really have a slur against them. The closest I can think of is "heathen" but that one is not so bad. Sanford & Son even made it sound cool. :)

Though to some, I guess "atheist" is a bad thing to be called, but not to an atheist.

For whatever reason, everybody is so oversensitive these days, and I don't understand it. I remember seeing in reruns the old TV show, 'The Goldbergs,' starring Gertrude Berg. What a hoot! ( Yoo-Hoo!! Mee-zus Bloom!!!!!) And absolutely charming with heavy Yiddish accents and dialect. NOTHING was offensive. Today? It is 'demeaning' to Jews. I also remember in reruns the early 50's TV comedy, 'Amos n Andy,' with grew out of the old radio show where both Amos and Andy were white who portrayed blacks. The TV show featured an all-Black cast of very, very well seasoned actors and actresses who never found the show a mockery. The show had blacks shown in an excellent light, with Black doctors, lawyers, and other professionals. And, a very, very funny show. Clean humour. Well, the NAACP got on their high horses and demanded the show never appear again on TV and it didn't. It was so 'offensive' and 'demeaning.' I don't know where they get that, but whatever. I do not advocate going around calling people 'out their name' as my clients say, and I think he was a total maroon for calling this guy a faggot. But, lose his job? I think I have a problem with that, just like I have a problem with Don Imus losing his job.

jgredline said:
What exactly is an atheist?
I think the simpliest definition is one who lacks beliefs in deities. However, in common usage, I have heard this definition bent to say stuff like "We are both atheists with respect to Vishnu." But strictly speaking, an atheist has lack of belief in all gods.

Steve said:
For whatever reason, everybody is so oversensitive these days, and I don't understand it.
Sometimes it seems a little too much. Sometimes I can understand.

For example, I was watching some old Tom and Jerry cartoons and "Mammy Two-Shoes" was a very sterotypical black woman. In a sense, they were making fun of the way they believed some black women acted. I think the issue there is that children watch it. If such a character appears in an Eddie Murphy movie, we can all laugh at her.

I think I have a problem with that, just like I have a problem with Don Imus losing his job.
Yeah, Imus was crass before that comment. In a sense, that was part of his act. The only thing I can come up with is that he made fun of a few young girls who are seen as individuals. I he had made fun of a large group or if the girls had been older, I don't think there would have been such an uproar.

Quath said:
I think the simpliest definition is one who lacks beliefs in deities. However, in common usage, I have heard this definition bent to say stuff like "We are both atheists with respect to Vishnu." But strictly speaking, an atheist has lack of belief in all gods.

Quath
Do u love your kids more than yourself? My guess is ''yes''..So would they not be considered a God

jgredline said:
Quath
Do u love your kids more than yourself? My guess is ''yes''..So would they not be considered a God
I would not consider them a supernatural entity worthy of worship. I do consider thme natural beings worthy of love though.

Back