Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Free will or no free will?

God
created Lucifer - a perfect holy Angel knowing that he would sin not because he HAD to nor because he was "made with a flaw" -- rather because Lucifer chose to sin.

God knew that Lucifer's sin would lead to the loss of 1/3 of the angels and he knew that Adam's sin would lead to his having to sacrifice his OWN SON to redeem mankind.

STILL God "chose to do it" -- that proves God is upholding the principle of free-will at GREAT COST -- which argues against your point.

in Christ,

Bob

In regards to the Devil, one must asked did God give him the freedom to destroy the lives of His children and leave them in a place of torment forever? Sensible individuals I think would question a Parent who would leave their offspring in a place of peace and tranquility (Adam and Eve) only to let a destroyer in, unless there was a greater good for His children for the future from this decision. The story of Job is an example of God’s freewill to allow Satan to do his best and even suggest he try (Job 1:12).
Being a father of 6 children, there is nothing any of my children could ever do that would cause me to be OK about them spending eternity in torment, but traditionalist expect us to believe that a all loving God has so much respect for our freewill to allow this horrific action to occur. I think it is best to go back to the Scriptures and reexamine this preconceived notion.
Whatever power the Devil has he received from God, whatever mischief he does nonetheless fits God’s overall plan (the death of Jesus is a prime example and all the characters involved to make it happen). The Creator can control him or destroy him at His pleasure. In fact, the Devil is God’s devil, so what freewill does he really have?
Grace, Bubba

Bubba said:
Yes, I agree with you.

Francisdesales,
So then you agree that when God changes a person heart they are now inclined to Jesus and will always say yes to His offer of salvation because that is now the desire of their heart and thus the Holy Spirit is efficacious?
Bubba

That's not what your verses above say.

INCLINED. Not force.

Regards

Whatever power the Devil has he received from God, whatever mischief he does nonetheless fits God’s overall plan (the death of Jesus is a prime example and all the characters involved to make it happen). The Creator can control him or destroy him at His pleasure. In fact, the Devil is God’s devil, so what freewill does he really have?

Does it "fit" God's plan, ie, is evil a part of God's plan, or is it that God's Plan WILL succeed despite the efforts of evil to thwart it? To me the latter is the real victory, but for you, it shouldn't really matter one way or another. For me, the victory means nothing, if it was a "setup" from the start.

Lets keep the conversation withing the confines of the ToS please.

vic C. said:

Does it "fit" God's plan, ie, is evil a part of God's plan, or is it that God's Plan WILL succeed despite the efforts of evil to thwart it? To me the latter is the real victory, but for you, it shouldn't really matter one way or another. For me, the victory means nothing, if it was a "setup" from the start.

Lets keep the conversation withing the confines of the ToS please.

Vic C, what you write would fit well with Open Theism. So Satan's rebellion was an event that God did not see coming? Ofr maybe you think God forknew Satans rebellion and just did nothing. God knew it was going to happen, he just let it happen anyway?

Maybe Satans rebellion was something God Foreknew but he refused to act upon any decision by man and angels? Is that like watching a rebellious child walk in front of a moving car. I knew it was going to happen, but felt "oh well, it was his free will." Possibly free will decisions are beyond Gods control?

So far a "real victory" God has to let Satan rebel without being in control? Yet your going to tell me its like a guy with a bb gun and a row boat attacking a battleship? So that would he a "real victory?" During this struggle maybe I should be sweating it out hoping nothing more is out of Gods control. Naa, I think I can trust that God is always in control.

When Joseph was sold into slavery in Egypt a great evil happened. Did God intend for Josephs brothers to sin in selling their own brother into slavery? Absolutely God intended for this evil to happen.
Gen 45:8 So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God: and he hath made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and ruler over all the land of Egypt.
Gen 50:19 And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?
Gen 50:20 And as for you, ye meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

Certainly God does not sin. But God uses sin to accomplish his will. Certainly in Genesis 50 the same event was intended by both God and the brothers of Joseph. God wanted Joseph sold into slavery. The difference between God and the brothers was not the event but what was in the heart.

This does not take away mans responsibility from man, or add responsibility to God. The text of Genesis does not say God is responsible for sin, but merely that he intended for this event to happen so that he might deliver many.

Bubba mentioned the death of Jesus. By this I assume that he is talking about the atonement of Christ on the cross. The cross event was the greatest evil ever done in the universe. Whoat could possibly be more evil then murdering the son of God? Yet God sovereignly intended his murder.

Act 2:23 him, being delivered up by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye by the hand of lawless men did crucify and slay:
Did God just simply set back and watch? Did he say "oh, the hand of lawless men have decided to slay and crucify the messiah? Certainly not. God intended for the people of that day to crusify the son of God when he was in a council to determine the future based upon his foreknowledge.

God used Assyria to chasten Israel. Yet he then punished Assyria for her misdeeds done against Israel.

God does not participate in evil, but he determines that it will happen, and then judges it for his glory.

Francisdesales,
So then you agree that when God changes a person heart they are now inclined to Jesus and will always say yes to His offer of salvation because that is now the desire of their heart and thus the Holy Spirit is efficacious?
Bubba
That's not what your verses above say.

INCLINED. Not force.

Regards

Francisdesales,
Your response shows that I am not getting my thought through to you. When the heart has been changed by God, the person is not "forced" to believe, the heart is so "incline" that he or she wants to believe 100% of the time after regeneration. A monergistic act, totally of grace not one iota of man's part.
Grace, Bubba

"Bubba mentioned the death of Jesus. By this I assume that he is talking about the atonement of Christ on the cross."
Mondar,
Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. Great response!
Bubba

Bubba said:
Francisdesales,
Bubba
[quote:b0eab]That's not what your verses above say.

INCLINED. Not force.

Regards

Francisdesales,
Your response shows that I am not getting my thought through to you. When the heart has been changed by God, the person is not "forced" to believe, the heart is so "incline" that he or she wants to believe 100% of the time after regeneration. A monergistic act, totally of grace not one iota of man's part.
Grace, Bubba[/quote:b0eab]

Sorry, your response doesn't take into account the real world, Bubba.

We all continue to sin. Don't tell me about "100% of the time".

Or have you not read 1 John and sin?

Regards

Regards

Francisdesales,
I am talking about the moment one believes, which is salvation (or justification) and not sanctification. You know the verse I started with 2 Cor. 4:4 when the blinders are removed and God reveals Christ to the individual. Many would argue that 1John 1:9, is also about salvation, as I would concur with.
Grace, Bubba
ps, "100% of the time after regeneration", regeneration occurs before faith or salvation becomes a reality in the "real world". Bubba

turnorburn said:
cid_00b601c842d9cbc6f7d07B3DB0D7lee.gif

You said this? Only Gods will is free, all others are under His dominion..He ruleth over all..

Care to guess again, maybe you should ask your Pastor :smt045

The Holy Ghost is my pastor..the church age is over, all churches today are under the rule of antichrist..

Vic C, what you write would fit well with Open Theism.
Sorry Mondar, it wasn't intended to be taken that way. Open Theism suggests God doesn't know in advance what would happen and has to react AS it happens. That's not what I believe. Nowhere in my post do I even hint at that either.

We just understand God's sovereignty differently. Not a problem, the end results will be the same.

Bubba said:

Regards

Francisdesales,
I am talking about the moment one believes, which is salvation (or justification) and not sanctification. You know the verse I started with 2 Cor. 4:4 when the blinders are removed and God reveals Christ to the individual. Many would argue that 1John 1:9, is also about salvation, as I would concur with.
Grace, Bubba
ps, "100% of the time after regeneration", regeneration occurs before faith or salvation becomes a reality in the "real world". Bubba

Ah, I see regeneration as a process.

I have just read the Gospel of Mark, and this is a fine example of how the Christian walk works. The apostles (us) are called to Christ, and we come. Yet, the apostles time and time again were showing how MUCH they walked in faith by their continued lack of faith, doubting, and so forth. That is the reality of the Christian walk, whether we like it or not. God still loves us - despite our failure, occasional sin, and faulty faith. Yes, the Spirit comes to us, but the work is ongoing, and to say that regeneration is completed leads to the false assumption that one is done and it just remains for God to bring you home. That is not how the Gospels or the Epistles present the Christian walk. It is a struggle where we falter at times, and in some cases, we return to the vomit. The real world shows us that regeneration is not completed until we enter the Kingdom.

Regards

beloved57 said:
turnorburn said:

You said this? Only Gods will is free, all others are under His dominion..He ruleth over all..

The Holy Ghost is my pastor..the church age is over, all churches today are under the rule of antichrist..

Oh boy...

Is that what the "spirit" of the world is telling you?

mondar said:
OnFireForChrist said:
Without free will, we are not responsible for our actions, since we have no say in them.

OnFireForChrist, feel free to misrepresent the other side if that helps your tradition.
Informed Calvinists do not say "we have no say in them." That is totally a straw man. Sure, you might find some uninformed Calvinist that says something like that on one of these boards, but try to find such a statement among the professional scholars.
Please, calm down. Forgive me, I didn't read the other posts before I posted because there were so many, so I didn't know where the argument was at. I was unaware we were speaking of Calvinism. I was not saying anything but my own opinion on the matter of free will. So it is not a straw man, but merely my opinion so I could jump into this thread.

mondar said:
Calvinists believe that man has a choice, but the choice is bound to our natures. Now I dont think any body disagrees with this statement. Our choice is bound to our nature. If I choose to grow wings and fly, I cannot because I am bound by my nature. If I choose to walk a mile, thats not a problem because that is within the ability of my nature. The range of human choices is limited by our nature as finite beings.
True, choice implies deliberation, and no man deliberates about things that are invariable--the fact man cannot fly means he cannot deliberate whether it would be right or not to fly, and therefore he cannot choose what he is incapable of.

mondar said:
Now when it comes to spiritual deeds, again our choices are bound by our natures. This raises the question of what is our spiritual natures. Are we fairly sinful with that small inner light? Are we a blank slate? Are we fairly righteous as creatures? Are we totally depraved (not as sinful as we could be but sin permeates our entire nature and being).
My idea of man's spiritual nature was that God created man; whatever God creates is good; therefore, man is naturally good. However, he has been tainted by sin through his free choice, and also he is prone to it because of Original Sin, though he is not incapable of innocence; he, in cooperation with God, can avoid sin, and God gives the graces necessary, but for whatever reason, man can choose to be contrary to God and to his natural good state and pervert himself, making it impossible through his own efforts to attain salvation. I don’t believe man is totally depraved, but I am not sure if I understand the idea of total depravity, either.

mondar said:
OnFireForChrist said:
Furthermore, then we have to answer the question as to why a just God would will for some eternal unhappiness and then for others eternal happiness, when the Bible says that God is not partial, and that He is good.

My opinion on the matter is that since we are made in God's image, and God has free will, man also has been given free will.
Where does the bible say that God has free will? God also has a nature and is bound by his nature. Is God able to sin?
I think Francis deSales already addressed this, but I will too to an extent. God created free of obligation. He died on the cross willingly; it was through His own will and His own power that He died on the cross. He is free to do as He pleases in whatever way He pleases, because what pleases Him is within the boundaries of what is good.
God is free because He does not sin; it is not in His nature; sin is far from Him. God is freedom because of this; any man who follows sin follows not his own nature, and becomes enslaved to sin. He certainly has a will, which He wants us to follow.
There is a difference between freedom and limitlessness, just as there is a difference between law and order and anarchy and chaos; with freedom, there are certain boundaries; in this case, God cannot sin. Within the limits, there is total freedom; He is free to do whatever He pleases. With limitlessness, it truly means slavery, since one is enslaved to whatever desires one has. God is incapable of sin because He is sin's very antithesis. Just because one is bound to nature doesn't mean they have no freedom; is a fish freer in water, or on land? The fish is freer in water, because there it is where he can truly live and be a fish. On land, a fish can only hope for death, and is restrained from doing what it naturally does and becomes powerless.
God is free because He has conquered sin, and has no part in sin. He is free because He is Law, order, discipline; all things opposed to chaos, vice, and anarchy. I do not know if the Bible directly states "God has a free will", but it is because it is overwhelmingly clear that God acts freely; He is not under compulsion, nor does he act involuntarily or in ignorance. What the Lord does, He does deliberately and purposefully, and voluntarily. I will try to find some verses for you, but right now I have to say I don’t have any to produce.
Many people say that Christianity is a relationship; in any relationship, there are two people with two wills that harmonize and compromise their desires and have one will for the greater good. It is very similar with God, but God's will is entirely Good, and entirely Free, and therefore our inferior wills which are prone to sin give way to His will. There is no friendship if the wills rival each other.

mondar said:
OnFireForChrist said:
Because he has free will, he can choose to cooperate with God, or he can choose to rebel against Him. God creates only good things, because He is goodness Himself.
Therefore, it is not far-fetched to ask us to do good, because we are naturally and intrinsically good and capable of doing good, in cooperation with God. Because man is able to do good, it is perverted that he should choose to do evil, and since evil did not originate from God, man is to blame for evil, and therefore is answerable to justice for breaking the Law.
Maybe we should back up here. Do you deny the truth of Original Sin? We are all in Adam as our federal head? Do you disagree with the canons of the council of Chalcedon and Orange? How do you read texts like Romans 5 and Romans 3? You obviously think man is a virtous creature by nature. This seems to go far beyond Pelagianism. Do you actually believe these things?
I have already mentioned that I believe in the doctrine of Original Sin; this is why we are prone to do evil, because we have inherited sin through Adam's Fall. Through Adam, all men die; through Christ, all shall be made alive (Romans 5 itself says this to be true, also in 1 Cor 15: 21-23). Adam's sin affected not only himself, but us as well, as we all taste death on account of sin. It is true, that men without God's grace are nothing but sinners, but it is not against man's nature to be in accordance with God. It is in truth that I say that men are sinners and prone to evil, but intrinsically, I would argue that men are good, as they are made in God's image, and God is good. Naturally, we would be in a state like Adam before he fell, in Original Innocence. This in no way suggests man is good by his own merits, but by the fact that man's Creator is Good, and always provides what is necessary for man to be good and to stay good (grace). Man always needs God, as an instrument needs a musician. While an instrument is good, it is ultimately its cooperation with the musician that makes it very good. It is when it becomes unusable that it becomes useless, though if the musician desires to play, it is possible he can fix the instrument and repair it back to its original state. Man is virtuous by nature only because naturally, man would be in cooperation with God. Original Sin has tainted this (eliminating our original innocence) and has perverted man's own desires, making it more difficult to do good, impossible on his own part; it is not impossible, however, for man to cooperate with God to restore that original innocence, for through God, all things are possible. It is only through God's power that man can be and do good. But man is able to choose through God's grace to cooperate with God. God alone always makes it possible for man to be virtuous, and man can either choose through his own volition whether to cooperate with God or rebel. Man becomes totally depraved only by his own will, not because God made him that way; meaning, it is not his natural and true state. Man's purest natural state is sinless because God made man sinless. We inherit Original Sin through Adam, so we lost our innocence; we are then prone to sin, and prone to becoming totally depraved, but this is not natural for us, being creatures created sinless. We have become perverted through a mix of Original Sin and our own choices, but we have not become incapable of cooperation with God because God makes it possible for us to be restored. God constantly offers to man the way out of becoming totally depraved, and man can either cooperate with or reject Him. So it is our fault alone that we become depraved; God gives us every grace possible that we may avoid it, and His will is that we all should be saved, and He has made it clear that the punishment of sin is death. Death has come to mankind because of sin, but Life has also come to us through Jesus the Christ. If we could not be perfect as our Father is perfect, and He did not provide a way, why would He command it? It would be unjust, like telling a man who has broken his leg to walk and then punishing him for not walking when it is utterly impossible for him to walk.

mondar said:
OnFireForChrist said:
If man did not have a say in the matter, however, there would be no difference in his doing good or evil, as it is not his fault and the blame does not lay with him, as he has no will of his own to act with; the blame is with the will of the one who is controlling man. Since God is good, it is inconceivable to blame God for our evil, as evil has no part in Him, and He wills only good and does only good. The perversion of good has come from us, wherein we sin, and that is why it is just for us to be punished for sin, because we freely have chosen to do evil.
Again, no knowledgeable Calvinist or Christian would deny man has a will. This is a straw man. Sure, there might be some confused person somewhere on this board that will affirm that man has no will, but why pick the low hanging fruit. Can you show me a professional scholar that deny's man has a will? No scholar will say that. No Calvinist scholar will think that. Please show me one scholar who says that?
[/quote] I was not arguing strictly against Calvinism, I was merely stating why I believe that man has free will as opposed to not. Therefore, I don’t intend to attempt to strictly disprove Calvinism by my reply, and moreover I am not well-versed in Calvinist scholarship.

MarkT said:
OnFireForChrist said:
Without free will, we are not responsible for our actions, since we have no say in them. Furthermore, then we have to answer the question as to why a just God would will for some eternal unhappiness and then for others eternal happiness, when the Bible says that God is not partial, and that He is good.

My opinion on the matter is that since we are made in God's image, and God has free will, man also has been given free will. Because he has free will, he can choose to cooperate with God, or he can choose to rebel against Him. God creates only good things, because He is goodness Himself. Therefore, it is not far-fetched to ask us to do good, because we are naturally and intrinsically good and capable of doing good, in cooperation with God. Because man is able to do good, it is perverted that he should choose to do evil, and since evil did not originate from God, man is to blame for evil, and therefore is answerable to justice for breaking the Law.

If man did not have a say in the matter, however, there would be no difference in his doing good or evil, as it is not his fault and the blame does not lay with him, as he has no will of his own to act with; the blame is with the will of the one who is controlling man. Since God is good, it is inconceivable to blame God for our evil, as evil has no part in Him, and He wills only good and does only good. The perversion of good has come from us, wherein we sin, and that is why it is just for us to be punished for sin, because we freely have chosen to do evil.

What man in his right mind would 'want' to take full responsibility for his actions in front of God? There's no wisdom in that. Even Adam said, 'the woman gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.' Even Eve said, 'The serpent beguiled me, and I ate.' But you want the credit for doing good. Well, then you should expect the punishment for doing bad.

I never said I wanted credit for doing good; in fact, it is quite the opposite. My point was that if I sin, it is through my own fault, and not anyone else’s; if I do good, it is because God has done it in me through His grace. On my own, I do only evil; if I cooperate with God, He does the good through me. Goodness itself does not find origin in me, but in God. And I have shown that I would fully take responsibility for my sins; I would not take responsibility entirely for my good actions, but all the credit goes to God alone. It would be just if God punished me for my sins. You have misconstrued what I have said. The whole point of what I said, which you quoted, was to prove that if I am a sinner, it is through my own fault, because God gives us enough graces to avoid sin and to choose Him. If I do good, it is only through God that I can do good, for I can do no good on my own (because grace does not originate from me), but evil. My just actions are not mine, but God’s; my crimes are solely mine and no one else’s. Our true nature is inclined to cooperate with God; our perverse nature is inclined to rebel against Him. It is by our choice alone that we become perverse, because God gives us every grace possible to turn to Him and cooperate with Him.

MarkT said:
You say you believe, but you don't. Pr. 16:9, 'A man's mind plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.' You say you don't believe it. You say you have freewill. When we tell you, you condemn us. You say it's a damnable heresy. But you are condeming the righteous.
What am I condemning? I am unaware of any evil I have said.

MarkT said:
When you say God didn't make you choose him, we know for sure God didn't choose you to reveal any spiritual truth
. No, He doesn’t make me choose Him, but it is only through His grace can I choose Him. The point is, though, I chose Him – I have the ability to choose Him as much as I have the ability to deny Him. You have not understood properly what I have said, so how can you know that there is no truth in what I am saying? And I can only choose because He has chosen me first, and made the choice available to me. Even more reason for punishment if I do not choose Him, because He has given me everything I need to follow Him.

MarkT said:
Did Peter choose, or was he chosen? Jesus said, 'You did not choose me, but I chose you.' John 15:16 And Ephesians 1:4, Paul says, God has blessed us in Christ, 'even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world.' That tells me we were chosen before we could choose; before we were born in the likeness of men - from the beginning.
The answer is yes to both, but Peter could only choose because God made it possible. We are chosen to be loved, and we are given everything therefore from the fact that we have been initially chosen, and the choice is open to us to choose Him. We have the ability to reject God, contrary to our nature, and sin, and we also have the ability to choose Him as well and requite His love through obedience to Him and cooperation, giving Him glory in all our works through Him. For what is impossible with men is not impossible for God.

MarkT said:
Brothers, let us not be so quick to condemn ourselves. We are justified because we are willing to sacrifice what belongs to the flesh. But you are acting like men who were not saved.
We have only begun to be saved; we are not entirely saved as of yet.
MarkT said:
Like the godless, you are not giving the glory to God. You're not giving him any credit for the works that you do - as if we are not servants. We know a servant does his master's will. Why do you persist in thinking you are doing your own will?
A servant can be wicked or good; a servant can choose to obey his master or rebel against him. If we are obedient to the will of God, we are only doing what we are supposed to do, as such you are saying, and we are good servants; we are wicked servants only by not doing the master’s will, but whose fault is the wickedness, the master’s, or the servant’s? I agree, we are servants; to do God’s will is not to our own merit, and the grace to do good works is only given by God; we can do nothing without God. We derive existence from Him; we would not even be able to choose to serve Him faithfully or to rebel against Him and be wicked servants, enslaved by our sins. The entire point of my post is that we are culpable for our sins, entirely, our sins are the only thing that are truly ours, for all else belongs to God, and we give all our works, which aren’t really ours, to God, to glorify Him, and it is only possible to glorify God with God’s grace. We are nothing.

MarkT said:
When you say you have freewill, then you're saying, when you sin, you sin wilfully, and when you do good, you want all the credit. That's not right.
You’re right, that it’s not right. I never said I wanted credit for my good actions, I want God to take the credit for that because they are rightfully His in justice, because all goodness is rightfully His. All good things belong to Him, but sin has no part in Him, which is why I in my post above only said that if we sin, they do not belong to nor do they come from God, who is good. To take credit for any good that I do would be unjust, for all things that are mine are not really mine, but they all belong to God. I am God’s by justice, for He created me and everything about me, and all things in my possession or that I have access to, all good things, that is, are God’s as well, so it would be wrong for me to steal glory from God, and that is the last thing in the world that I wish to do. But my sins are mine because they are not God’s in any way, shape, or form.
MarkT said:
You're just doing what the world expects; you're openly doing good to receive a reward, like all men.
No, I am not, as I hope you will see in my reply. If I do good, it is not so I can be praised with earthly praise and earthly rewards, but for the love and glory of God; I do good deeds because they are good, because they praise God, because they are in accordance with His will. God forbid that I should begin seeking for worldly rewards like the Pharisees.
MarkT said:
You're practising a religion.
Yes, but I also am practicing the Spirit of the religion, not just the law. The highest law I have to follow is “love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength†and the second is “love your neighbour as yourself.†While those who follow the letter of the law may neglect the spirit of it, which is love, there are also some who neglect the letter of the law to follow a false spirit of it (and there are still others who reject both the law and its Spirit). None of these do I seek to be, and I certainly do not seek praise, honor, and glory, for I don’t feel that I deserve it, seeing as they rightfully belong to Christ, who is my Master. What I do deserve, however, is death for my sins, and I have only more reason to praise the Lord, for He has delivered me from death by His own Blood, and His Divine Mercy and Grace are incredible. Through Him I can do all things; on my own, I will only fall into sin.
MarkT said:
So Jesus said, when you do good, do it in secret. Deeds are in secret, then the reward is from God in secret.

Jesus gave the glory to God for everything he did and everything he said. Let's be imitators of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Amen.
It seems what you have misconstrued is my last paragraph, wherein I was saying what the ultimate conclusion of the argument against free will was, and therefore why it is false to believe that we do not have free will. If I did hold that belief, that man was not responsible for his actions, and that God was the cause of our evil but not our good, it would be right to rebuke me for that, for it is a false belief. Truly, God is the cause of all our good, but we are the cause of all our evil. Which is why we must accept punishment for our sins (which are rightfully ours), but give the credit and glory to God for what good deeds we have done (for they are not ours, but justly God’s). Forgive me if I had been unclear, but understand now what I have said, and why, and what I do believe.

francisdesales said:
beloved57 said:
Of course. But knowing Him doesn't mean we love Him. The devil knows God.

You cant love God if you dont know Him..

Knowing God doesn't mean one loves God...

You cant love God if He hasnt revealed Himself to you through Jesus christ..jn 17:

3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

matt 11:

27All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Its only as the elect are given to see their interest in christ, that we can reciprocate by Loving Him..

1 jn 4:

19We love him, because he first loved us.

So again, one cannot love God if they dont know Him..

francisdesales said:
beloved57 said:
turnorburn said:

Oh boy...

Is that what the "spirit" of the world is telling you?

We are in the great tribulation period, the churches have been given over to satans rule..true believers are no longer in churches..like in the days noah, so shall it be in the day of christ return..there was no churhes in noahs day was it ?

beloved57 said:
So again, one cannot love God if they dont know Him..

One simple yes or no question will do...

Does the devil love God?

beloved57 said:
We are in the great tribulation period, the churches have been given over to satans rule..true believers are no longer in churches..like in the days noah, so shall it be in the day of christ return..there was no churhes in noahs day was it ?

Where is the Scriptural evidence of "true believers are no longer in churches...shall it be in the day of Christ return"...?

Where does the Bible state that at Christ's return, there will be no believers in the Church? Even more silly, where does the Scriptures say there will no churches on that day???

Sounds like you need to run from that source of lies, you are being led astray, my friend.

Regards

OnFireForChrist said:
It is in truth that I say that men are sinners and prone to evil, but intrinsically, I would argue that men are good, as they are made in God's image, and God is good. Naturally, we would be in a state like Adam before he fell, in Original Innocence. This in no way suggests man is good by his own merits, but by the fact that man's Creator is Good, and always provides what is necessary for man to be good and to stay good (grace). Man always needs God, as an instrument needs a musician. While an instrument is good, it is ultimately its cooperation with the musician that makes it very good. It is when it becomes unusable that it becomes useless, though if the musician desires to play, it is possible he can fix the instrument and repair it back to its original state. Man is virtuous by nature only because naturally, man would be in cooperation with God. Original Sin has tainted this (eliminating our original innocence) and has perverted man's own desires, making it more difficult to do good, impossible on his own part; it is not impossible, however, for man to cooperate with God to restore that original innocence, for through God, all things are possible. It is only through God's power that man can be and do good. But man is able to choose through God's grace to cooperate with God. God alone always makes it possible for man to be virtuous, and man can either choose through his own volition whether to cooperate with God or rebel. Man becomes totally depraved only by his own will, not because God made him that way; meaning, it is not his natural and true state. Man's purest natural state is sinless because God made man sinless. We inherit Original Sin through Adam, so we lost our innocence; we are then prone to sin, and prone to becoming totally depraved, but this is not natural for us, being creatures created sinless. We have become perverted through a mix of Original Sin and our own choices, but we have not become incapable of cooperation with God because God makes it possible for us to be restored. God constantly offers to man the way out of becoming totally depraved, and man can either cooperate with or reject Him. So it is our fault alone that we become depraved; God gives us every grace possible that we may avoid it, and His will is that we all should be saved, and He has made it clear that the punishment of sin is death. Death has come to mankind because of sin, but Life has also come to us through Jesus the Christ. If we could not be perfect as our Father is perfect, and He did not provide a way, why would He command it? It would be unjust, like telling a man who has broken his leg to walk and then punishing him for not walking when it is utterly impossible for him to walk.
This long paragraph looks like you are wrestling with the issues as you write.

You seem to be denying that man is a sinner by nature, but want to affirm original sin. You are also redefining sin nature as something which is not really that bad. In your view sin nature does not mean we are have no good at all in us, there is still some of that divine goodness in man.

If this is so, can you explain Romans 3:11? Please do not just ignore the question. Give me an honest answer on how man is capable of seeking God in light of Romans 3:11.

11 There is none that understandeth, There is none that seeketh after God;

Not only do we not seek God, but we are children of wrath by nature in Ephesians 2:3.

3Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.

We are not merely sick in our sins, we are totally dead in Ephesians 2:1. In your view we seem to be able to cooperate with God in spite of the fact that we are spiritually dead and seperated from the power of God. How are your saying something different then we are merely sick in sin?

Also, in verse 3 notice the word "nature." You seem to be suggesting that our nature is not so defiant toward God. The point is, the term nature in verse 3 is used in the very same context that as verse 1. We are dead in sins and trespasses. It is our nature to rebel against God. Sure, we get choice. I agree we have a choice. If you want the term free will, I will use it as John MacArther does... We have the "free will" to choose any path of sin we desire.

1 And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins,
We are angry rebel sinners by nature shaking our fists in Gods face. God did not merely assist us in choosing him, he changed our nature so that we can and do choose to follow him. Thats why verse 1 says "And you did he make alive."

No my friend, the scriptures do not teach that we have a very slight inclination to sin. We were slaves of sin.
17But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,What God did was not merely to assist us in that we cooperate with God as sinners.
Many translations use the term "servants" here. I chose the NASB translation here because the greek term is doulos-- a bond slave. We are in total bondage to our sin natures. But this total bondage was crusified with Christ. In the cross of Christ our natures were changed because we are "in Christ."

In your view we are sick in sin but can still cooperate with God. That is not in the scripture. Scripture teaches we are dead in sins and trespasses in Ephesians 2:1. In your view, Christ helped you go get saved, in my view, salvation is 100% the work of God for man, and not even a small part the work of man for God. Salvation is not a human/divine undertaking, but it is a divine undertaking alone.

Sola Gratia
Mondar

Back