Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Freewill religion is the Man of Sin !

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You're right on this, it's a theology that has never made sense to me. It seems very Gnostic, and we all know Gnostic beliefs are constantly on the margins of Christian theology.

But, it still seems to me to be not much more than an interesting bit of theology to think about. How would the answer change how anyone lives his Christian life? Don't we all live as if we do have free will anyway, regardless if we have it or not?
Ah, but here is the kicker. If you think you are unilaterally saved by some ingenius lottery method by God and you are predestined, it makes very little difference if you believe you have it or you don't. You are saved regardless. Anything that appears that you do something, is God doing it. even the rationalizing of a decision. Thus you can live like hell, and think you are going to heaven anyway.

Ah, but here is the kicker. If you think you are unilaterally saved by some ingenius lottery method by God and you are predestined, it makes very little difference if you believe you have it or you don't. You are saved regardless. Anything that appears that you do something, is God doing it. even the rationalizing of a decision. Thus you can live like hell, and think you are going to heaven anyway.

But you can not pretend that you do not notice Islam rising up as the patriarchs of Old did, and sharpening their swords to slit the throats of the pagan West which has forgotten about Christian prudence and allowed the culture to become a matriarchy where the sexual favors are traded with the men for power and benefits at the expense of families which have become broken and the Single Mother welfare complex that is now 50% of the American Families.

Yes, that's the downside of following the doctrines of predestination and eternal election to their logcal conclusion. I've never run into anyone who actually believes he can live that way. Everyone I know, whether he believes in free will or not, lives his live as if he has free will. How else would a true Christian live?

I did get this question, however, from my nephew about 20 years ago. He'd heard what you've just said is the problem, knew it wasn't quite right, and needed help understanding it. He hadn't quite figured out yet that it was a perversion of the Calvinist doctrine of the perseverance of the saints, "one saved, always saved."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's the downside of following the doctrines of predestination and eternal election to their logcal conclusion. I've never run into anyone who actually believes he can live that way. Everyone I know, whether he believes in free will or not, lives his live as if he has free will. How else would a true Christian live?

I did get this question, however, from my nephew about 20 years ago. He'd heard what you've just said is the problem, knew it wasn't quite right, and needed help understanding it. He hadn't quite figured out yet that it was a perversion of the Calvinist doctrine of the preservation of the saints, "one saved, always saved."

Once saved always saved makes sense when used in the proper context.

The Truth is the Christ which can save you.
When America saw the Truth of CivilRights, the Nation was saved once and for all by the changes in the Law which leveled the playing field.

But if one is saved from the evil woman today, he can not be too confident beyond recognizing the temptations can and will return.
The Truth that sexual promiscuity can cause all sorts of problems, divorce, AID, social embarrassment, lose of a lob, etc will always save once you accept the Truth.

But what confuses people is the misunderstanding that saying, "accept Truth as the way to live my Life," and then demonstrating that by your behavior you really do not is not OSAS.

The Gift of God !

Eph 2:8

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Salvation being a Gift is not due to the fact that God offers it to everyone, and then its up to them to accept or reject, for that is a lie from the pit of hell Rev 9:1-2, but its a Gift for Two Reasons, one is in the fact that God hath accepted the Offering of His Son as a satisfactory Offering, to pay the whole sin debt of those He was made a Surety in behalf of. So the Gift is in the fact that God the Father hath accepted at the hands of His Son, His Offering, His Blood in the place of Chosen guilty sinners, which again satisfies His Law and Justice. That the Gift of Eph 2:8 is of that sort is by the use of the word for Gift, it is the greek word dōron and means:

gift, present

a) gifts offered in expression of honour

1) of sacrifices and other gifts offered to God

2) of money cast into the treasury for the purposes of the temple and for the support of the poor

2) the offering of a gift or of gifts

Its the same word gift used here Matt 5:23

23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

See Matt 2:11 and Matt 23:19

And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.

So the Gift of God in Eph 2:8 is the Gift of Christ's Offering to the Father in doing His Will Heb 10:7-10

In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

This Offering of Christ of His Body, is the Gift offered unto God, the Gift of Himself as an sin Offering for the sins of God's People, and this Gift Offering is How the Church is saved by Grace through Faith, because of the Gift Offering of Christ to the Father's Law and Justice. It has not one thing to do with Salvation being an offer to men in order for them to accept or reject it ! The word offering in Heb 10:10 above is the greek word prosphora and means:

the act of offering, a bringing to

2) that which is offered, a gift, a present. In the NT a sacrifice, whether bloody or not: offering for sin, expiatory offering

Now that this Gift of God has satisfied completely His Law and Justice, what remains to be done to those Chosen sinners is to Have that Gift of God [Offering of Christ] revealed to them, it is to make known this Gracious Transaction to those who are the beneficiaries of it, for which purpose the Gospel is for, and it becomes the Gospel of their Salvation Eph 1:13. What the Gospel does is to communicate the good news of one's Salvation to them, so that they come to know of it and rejoice in it to the Praise of God's Grace ! Now those who are preaching Salvation as an gift, and do mean by it a offer to them that they ca neither accept or reject, they are simply preaching a false gospel, and the message is from satan,and Not God !

And what of the other, men, women and children, are you saying they are doomed? To never know Him? And if so then how do you reconcile these scriptures. I agree as far as it is not up to man to choose or reject, but that's where we part company I'm afraid.

2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1Co 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Subdued:

hoop-ot-as'-so
From G5259 and G5021; to subordinate; reflexively to obey: - be under obedience (obedient), put under, subdue unto, (be, make) subject (to, unto), be (put) in subjection (to, under), submit self unto.

And this is just a few scriptures, that states "All".

2b

And what of the other, men, women and children, are you saying they are
doomed? To never know Him?

Are you responding to anything in post 566 ? I cannot tell !

2b

Are you responding to anything in post 566 ? I cannot tell !

Yes this,:

Salvation being a Gift is not due to the fact that God offers it to everyone, and then its up to them to accept or reject, for that is a lie from the pit of hell Rev 9:1-2, but its a Gift for Two Reasons, one is in the fact that God hath accepted the Offering of His Son as a satisfactory Offering, to pay the whole sin debt of those He was made a Surety in behalf of. So the Gift is in the fact that God the Father hath accepted at the hands of His Son, His Offering, His Blood in the place of Chosen guilty sinners, which again satisfies His Law and Justice. That the Gift of Eph 2:8 is of that sort is by the use of the word for Gift, it is the greek word dōron and means:

It sounds like your implying that only a few are Saved, "by this Choosing from God" And the rest are doomed. Is this right? I believe in God choosing in every age those whom He wills, but, I also believe for the rest, in due time, what is your stand on them?

Yes this,:

It sounds like your implying that only a few are Saved, "by this Choosing from God" And the rest are doomed. Is this right? I believe in God choosing in every age those whom He wills, but, I also believe for the rest, in due time, what is your stand on them?

My stand is quite clear in my posts, Read them !

Yes it is. We should not let the scripture get in the way you seek to interpret it. I mean how dare God follow through on a different view to you that would just be completely unacceptable.

John O
kinda defeats the premise of his own op. He must have free will to change the Gospel to his liking.

I just wish I understood the thread title:

What does that mean? "Freewill religion is sin" makes sense, but what is this "man of sin"? Does this refer to Satan?

I just wish I understood the thread title:

What does that mean? "Freewill religion is sin" makes sense, but what is this "man of sin"? Does this refer to Satan?

It is saying that if one believes in God giving mankind free will, then this believing person is the man of sin.. or the devil! That is how I read it??? And 'i' see it exactly the opposite!;)
---Elijah

PS: This is the posting person....

This is why I believe this is True ! 2 Thess 2:1-4 1Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our...
Started by savedbygrace57‎, 07-03-2011 02:48 PM39 Pages •123... 39

The Gift of God ! cont

Secondly, Salvation is a Gift in that the benefits of it are given or bestowed upon the recipients [Sovereignly], and this is in New Birth. Since God hath accepted the Gift or Oblation of His Son in the behalf of His Elect, the real culprits, this being an act of God's Grace as well, they in turn shall be given a New Life that enables them to live unto God and for His Glory, this is The Gift of Eternal Life experientially, and this comes by New Birth. Yes to be given New Birth is the Gift of God James 1:17-18

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

James uses Two different Greek words here for gift, but they are both similar. The first one is the word dosis and means

a giving

2) a gift

The Ideal here is not offering something to someone, but simply giving of a Gift ! Its bestowing a Gift !

The second word dōrēma and means:

a gift, bounty, benefaction

This Gift given is a benefaction of the The Lord Jesus Christ having given His Life as an gift Offering in behalf of others. The benefaction, which means:

an act of conferring a benefit; the doing of good; a good

to bestow upon as a gift, favor, honor

Notice that James stated that this Gift is from above !

The word from above is the same word used in John 3:3,7

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Jesus is telling him,He must be born from above or by that Gift from above !

For we should understand the Gift to be New Birth because in the next vs 18 He writes

Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

The word begat here means :

to bring forth

a) from the womb

b) give birth to

2) produce

The Gift of God is a New Birth, a New produce or bringing into existence !

The Gift of God ! cont

Secondly, Salvation is a Gift in that the benefits of it are given or bestowed upon the recipients [Sovereignly], and this is in New Birth. Since God hath accepted the Gift or Oblation of His Son in the behalf of His Elect, the real culprits, this being an act of God's Grace as well, they in turn shall be given a New Life that enables them to live unto God and for His Glory, this is The Gift of Eternal Life experientially, and this comes by New Birth. Yes to be given New Birth is the Gift of God James 1:17-18

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

James uses Two different Greek words here for gift, but they are both similar. The first one is the word dosis and means

a giving

2) a gift

The Ideal here is not offering something to someone, but simply giving of a Gift ! Its bestowing a Gift !

The second word dōrēma and means:

a gift, bounty, benefaction

This Gift given is a benefaction of the The Lord Jesus Christ having given His Life as an gift Offering in behalf of others. The benefaction, which means:

an act of conferring a benefit; the doing of good; a good

to bestow upon as a gift, favor, honor

Notice that James stated that this Gift is from above !

The word from above is the same word used in John 3:3,7

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Jesus is telling him,He must be born from above or by that Gift from above !

For we should understand the Gift to be New Birth because in the next vs 18 He writes

Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

The word begat here means :

to bring forth

a) from the womb

b) give birth to

2) produce

The Gift of God is a New Birth, a New produce or bringing into existence !

Hop Skip + Jump, huh!:robot
From day one on of the Lords Creation, after man's fall, (even Heb.'s other worlds + angel spirits) the Plan in Heb. 13:20 was to be given on CONDITION.

After the fall of Mankind, Christ required one to be re/born perfect IN HIM. No one can be such without the Holy Spirit being given to them. And Acts 5:32 finds that He (the Holy Spirit) is given to [[ONLY THOSE WHO WILL OBEY HIM]]. (conditional!)
At that point we find that it takes total surrender & then they TOGETHER ARE SEEN WITH WORKING FAITH, THE POWER OF CHRIST as seen in Phil. 4:13 + 2 Cor. 12:9 to mature from the babe to maturity.

--Elijah

PS: My suggestion is that most need to start with Acts 5:32 before trying to teach that which they know very little about.

See Luke 22:32 in part!
'..... and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.'

This thread surely finds the cart ahead of the horse!:sad

The Gift of God ! cont

The New Birth is the Perfect Gift the Father of Lights gives to all for whom Christ died. He is called the Father of Lights alluding to Him as a Creator, the Creator of Lights such as Ps 74:16

The day is thine, the night also is thine: thou hast prepared the light and the sun.

Ps 136:7-9

7 To him that made great lights: for his mercy endureth for ever:

8 The sun to rule by day: for his mercy endureth for ever:

9 The moon and stars to rule by night: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Gen 1:14-16

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

God made Lights according to His own Will, and So is the Gift of He giving those Christ died for New Birth James 1:17-18

And as the Creating of the Great Lights were according to God's Mercy Ps 136:7

So likewise is the begetting us again 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

This being begotten again and the beget He us of James 1:18 are primarily the same,one follows the other !

The Gospel or the word of Truth brings forth that New Life, like a New Born being brought out of the womb at first birth. There was life preceding the birth of which Created the Life to be brought forth by the word of Truth.

Regeneration or New Birth is a Perfect Gift ! The word Perfect here is the same word used in 1 Cor 2:6

6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among or at them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

Them that are Perfect are those whom Have Been given the Perfect Gift of Regeneration or New Birth, which capacitates them Hear and believe and embrace the word of truth, the Gospel of their Salvation !

The Gift of God ! cont

Them that are Perfect are those whom Have Been given the Perfect Gift of Regeneration or New Birth, which capacitates them Hear and believe and embrace the word of truth, the Gospel of their Salvation !

I am so glad that salvation is available to all.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is long suffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

John O

The pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

The word pleasure here is the hebrew word chephets and means:

delight, pleasure

a) delight

b) desire, longing

c) the good pleasure See Eph 1:5,9 for good pleasure

d) that in which one takes delight

The word is translated over 10 times desire

So the desire or good pleasure of God shall prosper in His Hand !

The word prosper is the word tsalach and means:

Qal) to rush

2) to advance, prosper, make progress, succeed, be profitable

a) (Qal) to prosper

b) (Hiphil)

1) to make prosperous, bring to successful issue, cause to prosper

2) to show or experience prosperity, prosper

The word also means effected as here 2 Chron 7:11

11 Thus Solomon finished the house of the Lord, and the king's house: and all that came into Solomon's heart to make in the house of the Lord, and in his own house, he prosperously effected.

He shall successfully effect the desire of the LORD,by His Hand.

The word hand is the word yad and means:

hand

a) hand (of man)

b) strength, power (fig.)

Its the same word used in Job here Job 1:12

And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.

Jesus because of His Work on the Cross for those God wanted to Save was given Power as Here Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Matt 28:18

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Ps 110:3

3 Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth.

The scripture says that the pleasure or desire of the LORD shall be effected by His Power, Speaking of Christ executing His Father's good pleasure.

This of course would be the pleasure of His God and Father, and what would be His Pleasure or Desire ?

1 Tim 2:3-4

For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

The word will here is the greek word thelō and means:

to will, have in mind, intend

a) to be resolved or determined, to purpose

b) to desire, to wish

c) to love

1) to like to do a thing, be fond of doing

d) to take delight in, have pleasure

His desire or wish is that all men be saved and to come into the knowledge of the Truth !

Now Christ's coming into the world, being sent by the Father was to come and to seek and to save that which was Lost Lk 19:10

10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

Would not that be those of 1 Tim 2:4 ? I am sure it is ! Now did not Christ say specifically that came here to do His Father's will ? John 6:38-40

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

The word will here is the greek word thelēma and means:

what one wishes or has determined shall be done

a) of the purpose of God to bless mankind through Christ

b) of what God wishes to be done by us

1) commands, precepts

2) will, choice, inclination, desire, pleasure

So it is plainly seen from scripture what God's will or wish or desire is concerning His Son, and it is that all men be saved and come into the Knowledge of the Truth.

Scripture says that through Christ, God's desire shall be effected, and be prosperous. Now if one soul perishes in their sins, and Christ did come by the command of His Father to seek and to save that which is Lost, and one do be Lost, then how did the Pleasure of the Lord prosper in His Hand ? Not one should be Lost Jn 6:39

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Meaning none should perish. Now if Christ does not effect this pleasure of the Lord, then He has failed, and Isa 53:10 is a false witness, for nothing short of 100 % of the Sheep shall be found Lk 15:4-5

4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

I do believe the scripture, that Christ hath effected the Father's desire, and all whom the Father desires to be saved and come into the Knowledge of the Truth shall do Just that, By Christ's successful Death. The false religionists does not believe that, for they believe many whom God desires to be saved and come to the Knowledge of the Truth shall be Lost ! This thinking is against Christ, and makes Him to be a failure in that which He should have effected !

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back