Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study GO AND SIN NO MORE !!!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
legalism is nothing but a fight

in this passage
it plainly says those who do not keep the Sabbath will not inherit the Kingdom of God :shrug

Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Are you agreeing then that we're not under the ten commandments concerning the Sabbath? Thanks.

I'm agreeing that we are not under the Sabbath Law according to the law of Moses.

The Sabbath was made for man, so he would have a day of rest each week.

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. Romans 14:5-6

This truth foreshadows the rest for the people of God, which is to come, and finds it's fulfillment in the millennium.

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. Revelation 20:4

• And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

Some do not believe this refers to a literal 1000 years. That's Ok. The main thing is, for us to be diligent to enter the rest to come, so that we don't fall away from Him... falling back into unbelief.

• Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. Hebrews 4:1
  • Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. Hebrews 4:11

JLB

legalism is nothing but a fight

in this passage
it plainly says those who do not keep the Sabbath will not inherit the Kingdom of God :shrug

Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

it plainly says those who do not keep the Sabbath will not inherit the Kingdom of God

Where does it say... those who do not keep the Sabbath will not inherit the Kingdom of God

Paul is warning against practicing the works of the flesh, plainly stating that those who are led by the Spirit are not under the law.

• Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

The law required for those who so much as pick up sticks to start a fire to cook with, were to be put to death.

In the New Covenant there is no such command to keep the Sabbath.

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it... Romans 14:5-6

JLB

I'm agreeing that we are not under the Sabbath Law according to the law of Moses.
Thanks, and in that case would you agree that the Ten Commandments of the law of Moses also said to be the ministration of condemnation has been replaced by the ministration of righteousness? 2 Cor 3:9.
This truth foreshadows the rest for the people of God, which is to come, and finds it's fulfillment in the millennium.
I do agree with this. :wave2

Reactions: JLB
What IS the law??
Is it the 10 commandments? (which, of course are covered by Jesus' Two Great Commandments)

Is the the entire law in the Torah?

I've come to learn that different persons understand the Law to be different.

We were created to reflect the image of God. The law helps us to do that by pointing us in the direction. Yet I don't mean the Mosaic law, I mean the law of God. The one written on our hearts (conscience).

I'm just thinking out loud here. The written Law helps remind us of that law we all know from our hearts. Though we are saved apart from the law, the law is still a reflection of the nature of God. Love they neighbor. Do good to others. Walk in humility (is there any better example of this than Jesus?).

But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter (Romans 7:6).

• What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through law (Romans 7:8).

• Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good (Romans 7:12).

• For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man (Romans 7:22).
https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/the-law-of-god/

I found this article interesting and helpful in thinking about this question of the law.

We were created to reflect the image of God. The law helps us to do that by pointing us in the direction. Yet I don't mean the Mosaic law, I mean the law of God. The one written on our hearts (conscience).

I'm just thinking out loud here. The written Law helps remind us of that law we all know from our hearts. Though we are saved apart from the law, the law is still a reflection of the nature of God. Love they neighbor. Do good to others. Walk in humility (is there any better example of this than Jesus?).

But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter (Romans 7:6).

• What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through law (Romans 7:8).

• Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good (Romans 7:12).

https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/the-law-of-god/

I found this article interesting and helpful in thinking about this question of the law.
Hi PZ
I think when you speak about the law being written in our hearts you are also referring to the Natural Law. (not the law of nature).

Every human has the natural law within him. Every human knows that murder and stealing is wrong -- even if they do it. All men have this innate knowledge because God put it there.
Where else could it come from? I've talked about this with atheists a few times.

As to putting the Law into our hearts: This is the New Covenant. Jeremiah 31:33 is the New Covenant made between God and Israel and for all nations, as was declared in the Abrahamic Covenant.
Genesis 17:1-27
Genesis 22:15-18
Abraham's name was changed from
Abram ... exalted father
Abraham.. father of a multitude

The law moves from two pcs of stone, to our heart, as you've stated.
The moral law. No one here ever speaks to the fact that there were different types of law in the O.T. The moral law will never be abolished and is what is written on the heart. IOW, the decalogue or 10 commandments.

I believe the law to be the 10 commandments.
If you notice, what was put into the Ark of the Covenant were the two tablets.
The rest of the ordinances and regulations were kept outside the ark. We can understand the importance of the 10 commandments from this.

The law that was from the beginning is the law of God. The law of God always existed.
In Genesis 4:15 God even means to protect Cain! (because He hates the shedding of blood - the life is in the blood ).

Romans 7:6 speaks to the difference between the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law.
God does not intend for us to follow a list of don'ts ...which is the letter of the law.
He expects us, through love for Him, to want to do what is pleasing to Him... this is the spirit of the law.

Romans 7:8, 12 The law is necessary, it's a teacher for us to learn what God wishes for us --which is to live a civil life loving God, ourselves and others. Man did not know he was sinning until the commandments were given.

Romans 7:22 We are happy to know God's commands, which we can follow through our Savior, Jesus Christ. He has saved us from sin and death.
Romand 8:1-2

Here's the article for those interested:

A recent survey by George Gallup Jr. revealed a startling trend in our culture. According to Gallup the evidence seems to indicate that there are not clear behavioral patterns that distinguish Christians from non- Christians in our society. We all seem to be marching to the same drummer, looking to the shifting standards of contemporary culture for the basis of what is acceptable conduct. What everybody else is doing seems to be our only ethical norm.

This pattern can only emerge in a society or a church wherein the law of God is eclipsed. The very word law seems to have an unpleasant ring to it in our evangelical circles.

Let’s try an experiment. I’m going to cite a few passages from Psalm 119 for our reflection. I’m asking that you read them existentially in the sense that you try to crawl into the skin of the writer and experience empathy. Try to feel what he felt when he wrote these lines thousands of years ago:

Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day (v. 97).

• Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever, for they are the rejoicing of my heart. I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes forever, to the very end (vv. 111–112).

• I opened my mouth and panted, for I longed for Your commandments (vs. 131).

• Trouble and anguish have overtaken me. Yet Your commandments are my delights (vs. 143).

Does this sound like a modern Christian? Do we hear people talk about longing passionately for the law of God? Do we hear our friends expressing joy and delight in God’s commandments?

These sentiments are foreign to our culture. Some will surely say, “But that is Old Testament stuff. We’ve been redeemed from the law, now our focus is on the Gospel, not the law.”

Let’s continue the experiment. Let’s read some excerpts from another biblical writer, only this time from the New Testament. Let’s hear from a man who loved the Gospel, preached it, and taught it as much as any mortal. Let’s hear from Paul:

Does this sound like a man who believed the law of God has no place in the Christian life? Read Paul carefully and you will find a man whose heart longed for the law of God as much as David’s.

Church history witnesses that at periods of revival and reformation there has been a profound awakening to the sweetness of God’s law that can easily degenerate into legalism, which usually provokes a response of antinomianism. Neither is biblical. The law drives us to the Gospel. The Gospel saves us from the curse of the law but in turn directs us back to the law to search its spirit, its goodness and its beauty. The law of God is still a lamp unto our feet. Without it we stumble and trip and grope in darkness.

For the Christian the greatest benefit of the law of God is its revelatory character. The law reveals to us the Law-Giver. It teaches us what is pleasing in His sight. We need to seek the law of God—to pant after it—to delight in it. Anything less is an offense against the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

source: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/the-law-of-god/

Last edited:
Thanks, and in that case would you agree that the Ten Commandments of the law of Moses also said to be the ministration of condemnation has been replaced by the ministration of righteousness? 2 Cor 3:9.

I think we agree in part, but have different perspectives on this matter.

The Lord's commandments and laws were in effect long before Moses was born.

In fact, long before Adam was created.

Lucifer was said to be a murderer and liar, from the beginning.

IOW, His commandments were applicable to angels, even before man.

Cain was punished for murder.

Abraham, kept His commandments and laws 430 years before Moses.

• because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.” Genesis 26:5

When the law was added, the commandments of the Lord were already in effect, the only difference being, under the law, they were written in stone.

Trying to keep His commandments, without His faith and life being imparted, is a death sentence, because of the sin that dwells in our flesh.

Do we see Moses living in sin, and needing to sacrifice animals?

Moses walked in relationship with the Lord and received the law directly from the Lord.

Not so with the children of Israel. They wanted no part of hearing His Voice.

You go near and hear all that the Lord our God may say, and tell us all that the Lord our God says to you, and we will hear and do it.’ Deuteronomy 5:27

The Lord's plan from the beginning was for Adam to learn His commandments directly from Him, in which they would be imparted with faith, and His life [grace] and power.

Reading the 10 commandments would not have the same essence of God's life and faith, as when His Voice was heard.

• Yet the law is not of faith... Galatians 3:12

Hearing His Voice, the way Abraham did, is how we are to learn His commandments and laws , which is a picture of partaking of the tree of life.

• Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ Matthew 4:4

IOW, His commandments were in effect long before the law was added, and are still in effect after it was removed or taken away from the covenant of Abraham, of which we are grafted into, by faith in Christ.

• And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:29

JLB

Last edited:
Y’all is confusing me. I thought the law was placed in our heart and mind by what he did for us.

eddif

We still use the law lawfully.

eddif
images

I think we agree in part, but have different perspectives on this matter.
The Lord's commandments and laws were in effect long before Moses was born.
We probably do see it differently in parts as to what our rest may be. Please allow me to go a bit further.

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: (Did this include Moses and Aaron?)

Num 20:12 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Consequences of unbelief for Moses? Not entering the rest in Canaan? Was Moses lost to God? He later appeared on the mount of transfiguration with Jesus.
Deu 32:50 And die in the mount (Nebo) whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people; as Aaron thy brother died in mount Hor, and was gathered unto his people:
Deu 32:51 Because ye trespassed against me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because ye sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel.
Deu 32:52 Yet thou shalt see the land before thee; but thou shalt not go thither unto the land which I give the children of Israel.

Heb 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

A.S. Copley
Hebrews - From Shadows to Substance
http://www.gracegod.com/Study Books/Hebrews - From Shadows to Substance.pdf
(I substituted scripture references to Brother Copley's use of V15-19 for instance - I hope I did it correctly)

“Heb 3:8 "Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation," etc. "So I swore in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest;" that is, into the land of Canaan as the type, and into perfect rest of soul - Heb 4:9. Study these entreaties - Heb 4:7-13. "For we are made partakers of the Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end" - Heb 4:14. Like Heb 4:6, this also has no reference to initial salvation, but to our growth in grace. As we continue to believe in Christ and yield to Him, we feed on Him and receive added strength, life and light from Him. All the graces of the Spirit increase, and "the fruit of the Spirit" becomes more and more evident. Who failed to enter the land of Canaan but those who failed to believe steadfastly the whole Word of God? - Heb 3:15-19. Who will receive no reward hereafter but those who fail to walk in the Spirit and judge their own old man? They will be saved as by fire nevertheless - I Cor. 3:15.”

Joh 8:11 . . . go, and sin no more.
DO WE KEEP THE LAW?
No.
Colossians 2:13-14 "And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. 14 And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross".

The ceremonial law was done away with. The ten commands are the moral law, the laws of righteous conduct of the individual and toward others, as well as recognizing the primacy of God.
The civil laws pertained to Jews and likely still do. Not relevant for Christians today. The ten commands still apply because they're basic common sense to impart morality and reverence for God.

Consequences of unbelief for Moses? Not entering the rest in Canaan? Was Moses lost to God?

No. Moses was faithful.

And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward.
Hebrews 3:5

However the message and context I gave is about salvation.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. Hebrews 4:1-2

Go back further and his point is clear.

12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; 13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, 15 while it is said:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.”

16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? 17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
Hebrews 3:12-19

JLB

The ten commands still apply because they're basic common sense to impart morality and reverence for God.
And so do you keep the Sabbath as described in Exo 20:10? But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

The basic premise of the OP is "how do we sin no more" of John 8:11. Were there consequences for not keeping the Sabbath Holy? Is the option of entering Jesus' rest a reality of Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. How do we do that? Thanks Sister Justicewolf.

Back