Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

GOD OF THE OT / GOD OF THE NT.......IS IT THE SAME GOD?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm only going to respond to the OP as there is way to much to read through in 18 pages. I don't always agree with many topics found on gotquestions.org, but I found this to be a very good answer to the question asked, why did God order the killing of people in the OT.

Fortunately God came up with a plan to make a way to avoid the killing.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Symbolism? Incorrect. Obviously, they have foreheads that can be written on and therefore are not "spirits".

Confirming this, they were chosen 12,000 from each of the tribes of Israel. Last time I checked, spirits weren't listed as among the 12 Tribes.

Moreover, they are "sealed". Spirits aren't sealed, the children of God are sealed by the Holy Spirit (2 Cor. 1:22; Eph. 1:13; 4:30).
Revelation is filled with symbolism.

Symbolism? Incorrect. Obviously, they have foreheads that can be written on and therefore are not "spirits".

Confirming this, they were chosen 12,000 from each of the tribes of Israel. Last time I checked, spirits weren't listed as among the 12 Tribes.

Moreover, they are "sealed". Spirits aren't sealed, the children of God are sealed by the Holy Spirit (2 Cor. 1:22; Eph. 1:13; 4:30).
Ezekiel 9;3 kjv
3: And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed with linen, which had the writer's inkhorn by his side;
4. And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
5. And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
6. Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.

Before the Holy Spirir came inside men, at Pentecost, the marking/sealing was more physical and external.

Two covenants, with approiate symbols.

Metaphysics
Meta - greater than?
Physics - physical?

We quote the physical and look for the implication of the spiritual reality beyond the physical.

The seed= Word of God
Seed natural / physical
Word of God / geater truth beyond (truth hidden at creation).

Ezekiel is almost an OT book similar to Tevelation. Full of hidden revelations.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

And it's a good plan, but not all will find it and would rather reject it. 😔
And the Great Commission is that we work to see all issues good and bad are taught.
That
All that hear and understand the opportunity to listen to the good news/Gospel and choose eternal life in Christ.

Repentance
Eternal life / Salvation through the work of Jesus.
Receive The Holy Spirit that the power to witness may be given; so the world has the opportunity to correctly believe.

It is not our message, but it is His message.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Common question.
Different answers.
Wm Lane Craig has a new one that is rather disturbing.

Persons are rather disturbed that God ordered all men, women and CHILDREN, to be killed

Numbers 31:

New Living TranslationPar ▾
Conquest of the Midianites
1Then the LORD said to Moses, 2“On behalf of the people of Israel, take revenge on the Midianites for leading them into idolatry. After that, you will die and join your ancestors.”
3So Moses said to the people, “Choose some men, and arm them to fight the LORD’s war of revenge against Midian. 4From each tribe of Israel, send 1,000 men into battle.” 5So they chose 1,000 men from each tribe of Israel, a total of 12,000 men armed for battle. 6Then Moses sent them out, 1,000 men from each tribe, and Phinehas son of Eleazar the priest led them into battle. They carried along the holy objects of the sanctuary and the trumpets for sounding the charge. 7They attacked Midian as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. 8All five of the Midianite kings—Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba—died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword.
9Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. 10They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. 11After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, 12they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho. 13Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14But Moses was furious with all the generals and captainsa who had returned from the battle.
15“Why have you let all the women live?” he demanded. 16“These are the very ones who followed Balaam’s advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD’s people. 17So kill all the boys and all the women who have had intercourse with a man. 18Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves. 19And all of you who have killed anyone or touched a dead body must stay outside the camp for seven days. You must purify yourselves and your captives on the third and seventh days. 20Purify all your clothing, too, and everything made of leather, goat hair, or wood.”

Craig stated it's OK because God created them and has the authority to kill them....
The children will be better off in heaven...

I believe we must all come to terms with the Old Testament God.
Although the attributes are the same, God, in the OT, does seem to compromise His nature by ordering killings.

How did you come to terms with this problem?

Riven
Remember the story of Noah and the ark in which only 8 souls were saved and the WHOLE then known kosmou perished?

Remember the story of Noah and the ark in which only 8 souls were saved and the WHOLE then known kosmou perished?
This thread: My intention was not well-understood and it went in a direction I didn't care for and I was unable to properly direct.

The entire bible is God's revelation to us.
Questions are being asked by some as to the annihilation of entire groups in the OT.
Wm Craig came up with a reason that was not well-taken.
This thread was supposed to be about that, since he's such a respected member of the Christian community.
I'm afraid it went a bit haywire!
😟

This thread: My intention was not well-understood and it went in a direction I didn't care for and I was unable to properly direct.

Questions are being asked by some as to the annihilation of entire groups in the OT.
This thread was supposed to be about that, since he's such a respected member of the Christian community.
😟
I fully concur and have William L Craig's book-a great philosopher.
J.

And the Great Commission is that we work to see all issues good and bad are taught.
That
All that hear and understand the opportunity to listen to the good news/Gospel and choose eternal life in Christ.

Repentance
Eternal life / Salvation through the work of Jesus.
Receive The Holy Spirit that the power to witness may be given; so the world has the opportunity to correctly believe.

It is not our message, but it is His message.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Amen, I can't understand why men would choose the teachings of men over that which is clearly written. :shrug

😟
Yes, you didn't do the OP correctly, state Craig's argument and where it could be found, and then propose your question.

He made an excellent defense of his position, which you dismissed out of hand:

😟

Entire is probably not understood.

Usually there is a reminant left.
It may be Noah and hi family as posted. Rahab the Harlot was delivered.
Lot was delivered out of Sodom
Those who grieved over the sins of Israel were saved from death and kept safe in foreign countries/nations.(when death came to Jerusalem 400 years before Jesus was born).

Today the Gospel offers a chance for eternal life.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Yes, you didn't do the OP correctly, state Craig's argument and where it could be found, and then propose your question.

He made an excellent defense of his position, which you dismissed out of hand:

I didn't dismiss anything....
I said that some Christian theologians were horrified at his remark.

I'm removing myself from this thread and will not reply to any post of yours.
Sorry.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back