Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

How do we respond to jews who believe messiah hasn't come?

bibleberean said:
Preach the gospel.... That is the message.

If the Jews won't here it then they have the same problem as the skeptics and Atheists have...(aside from being "fools".)

Perhaps the Jews have sound reasons to reject Jesus as Messiah? Certainly, I am guessing that many Jews would think so. If you can't address those problems, then they are doing the sensible thing to reject Christianity.

Paul preached the gospel to the Jews and when they rejected it he had this to say to them.

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

If a Jew won't hear the truth we as Christians must move on just like we do with the non believing Gentiles.

Some may hear our message and some will reject it...

Acts 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:

Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Acts 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

Acts 17:4 And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.

Those who reject Christ have one major common denominator...

Proverbs 17:16 Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom, seeing he hath no heart to it?

bibleberean said:

But you do understand, that if you have sound reasons to believe that it can't be true, then the right thing to do is to reject it?

DivineNames said:
bibleberean said:

But you do understand, that if you have sound reasons to believe that it can't be true, then the right thing to do is to reject it?
I just can't see the rejection of God and his Word as sound reasons to believe that "it can't be true", since God never lies. I would instead re-examine my position in light of the Word of God.

Solo said:
DivineNames said:
I just can't see the rejection of God and his Word as sound reasons to believe that "it can't be true", since God never lies. I would instead re-examine my position in light of the Word of God.

What on earth are you talking about?

There is no excuse for rejection of God and His word. People can make them if they want to... 8-)

It isn't my problem...

Christians give the message and it is the choice of the individual to receive it or reject it...

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Those who hear the truth and reject over and over again are very foolish...

Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

It really isn't my problem that bible rejecting fools are the way they are.

They have no excuse and no one to blame but themselves.

No me problemo man... :smt102

bibleberean said:
There is no excuse for rejection of God and His word. People can make them if they want to... 8-)

It isn't my problem...

Christians give the message and it is the choice of the individual to receive it or reject it...

Do you disagree with this?

DivineNames said:
bibleberean said:

It isn't my problem...

If I have sound reasons to believe that the world is flat, then I can reject the word of astrologists, but I would be better off to investigate the word of the astrologists.

Some atheists that have rejected the Bible thought that they had sound reasons to reject it, but they investigated the Bible and found out that their initial belief was wrong. Lee Strobel and Josh McDowell are believers who were atheists. Many Jews have rejected Jesus but after investigating the Bible they became believers having changed their initial position.

Solo said:
DivineNames said:

If I have sound reasons to believe that the world is flat, then I can reject the word of astrologists, but I would be better off to investigate the word of the astrologists.

Some atheists that have rejected the Bible thought that they had sound reasons to reject it, but they investigated the Bible and found out that their initial belief was wrong. Lee Strobel and Josh McDowell are believers who were atheists. Many Jews have rejected Jesus but after investigating the Bible they became believers having changed their initial position.

So you think we should investigate.

But you do agree with the principle, that if you have sound reasons to believe that something can't be true, then the right thing to do is to reject it?

DivineNames said:
Solo said:
DivineNames said:

So you think we should investigate.

But you do agree with the principle, that if you have sound reasons to believe that something can't be true, then the right thing to do is to reject it?

In matters of life and death, I would be more apt to investigate fully both or all sides prior to rejection. In matters of trivial substance I would probably reject that which I disagree with as a matter of good stewardship of my time.

I don't believe anyone has "sound reasons" to reject the word of God.

I don't believe a single word or excuse given...

2 Corinthians 4:3-5 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

There are those who refruse to receive a love of the truth.

They will be damned for their rejection.

2 Thessalonians 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

2 Thessalonians 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Those who believe will be saved and those who believe not will be lost.

Mark 16:15-16 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

That is the way it is... There is no excuse nor sound reason for rejecting the gospel.

Jews and Gentiles and even those who profess that they are in the "church of God" but don't believe the gospel will be lost.

bibleberean said:

2 Corinthians 4:3-5 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

There are those who refruse to receive a love of the truth.

They will be damned for their rejection.

2 Thessalonians 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

2 Thessalonians 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Those who believe will be saved and those who believe not will be lost.

Mark 16:15-16 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

That is the way it is... There is no excuse nor sound reason for rejecting the gospel.

Jews and Gentiles and even those who profess that they are in the "church of God" but don't believe the gospel will be lost.
I am in total agreement and has been the core of my posts on this thread.

Keep fighting the good fight Solo. I love a strong warrior for Christ. :D

Good afternoon!

I have found this thread very interesting. But I would respectfully submit that it lacks something. Instead of talking about Jews who do not accept Jesus, why not talk to one (i.e. me)?

I am not Christian. I am a[n orthodox] Jew. No, I don't wear all black clothing, I don't have those long curly sideburns and while I do have a beard, it is trimmed rather short (DW's orders!) and while I do keep my head covered, right now it is covered with a Steelers ( :smt045 ) cap festooned with Pirates & Penguins pins (guess where I'm originally from?).

What am I doing here, on this forum?

Well, there's nothing I like better than discussing the Tanakh (what we call what Christians call the "Old Testament") and comparative religions. (I minored in religion way back at GWU from 1981-85 & was the student representative to the university's Committee on Religious Life my senior year.) I think that aside from our obvious differences believing Jews & believing Christians actually have much in common & have much to learn from each other. Our great second century CE (what we say instead of "AD") sage, Shimon Ben Zoma, says: "Who is wise? He/she who learns from everyone." While I certainly don't want to toot my own horn to the extent that I would call myself "wise", I do try to learn from everyone. Among the many things my faith has taught me are the values of tolerance, patience & the aforementioned willingness to learn from everybody. I may not always be as tolerant, patient & open-minded as I'd like to be, but it's something my faith tells me to aspire to & I do my level best. Our Sages (I'll quote them alot) say: "Receive all people with a cheerful countenance" & I try to do that too, unless you make the mistake of dissing the Steelers or telling me that coffee :morning: is bad for me.

I acknowledge that a Christian's beliefs have as much meaning for him/her as my Jewish beliefs do for me. All I ask is that I please be extended the same courtesy.

I have one teensy-weensy request. One of my very few cyberrules is that I will not discuss the Israeli-Arab conflict on line, in any form. Such discussions all too often turn into undignified, emotional flame wars that have very little to do with honest, mutually didactic and friendly (I hope) dialogue.

I have no problem with
Rule 8 - No Promotion of Other Religions:

You will not post any messages; links, images or photos that promote a religion or belief other than mainstream Christianity (atheism is considered a "belief" for the purposes of this rule). Debates of these doctrines are fine, as long as the beliefs are not actively promoted. This is a Christian Forums as the name suggest. If you cannot abide with this, please do not use our site.
and will do my best to honor this rule.

Be well!

Andyhill :smt039

Welcome Andyhill. The Pittsburg Steeler Quarterback who won four superbowls and was awarded MVP twice is a member of my church. He was always my favorite quarterback until John Elway came along. Now I have two favorite quarterbacks.
Solo

Good evening!

Gary & Solo, thank you!

On Shabbat (i.e. the Sabbath; from sundown Friday to nightfall Saturday), orthodox Jews don't use most electric/electronic devices, including TVs, radios, phones & computers. And DW & I are usually way too busy on Friday dealing with Da Boyz (who have school for a 1/2 day) and cooking & cleaning (both the flat & ourselves) for her to let me anywhere even remotely near the computer. So I probably won't be back online until Saturday night at the earliest. Enjoy your weekend (Sunday is a workday here :sad )!

Be well!

Andyhill :smt039

bibleberean said:

This isn't the issue that I asked about.

If you have sound reasons to believe that something can't be true, then the right thing to do is to reject it?

Do you agree or disagree with this?

Solo said:
In matters of life and death, I would be more apt to investigate fully both or all sides prior to rejection.

But you do agree that if you have sound reasons to believe that something can't be true, then the right thing to do is to reject it?

DivineNames said:
Solo said:
In matters of life and death, I would be more apt to investigate fully both or all sides prior to rejection.

But you do agree that if you have sound reasons to believe that something can't be true, then the right thing to do is to reject it?
I agree that one that has sound reasons to believe that something can't be true, then they should reject it. For example, if I have determine through examination that the sun can not be made of butter even though it is yellow, then I should reject it. If on the other hand, I reject the Bible as being the true word of God because I don't want to subject myself to its authority, then I should re-examine my understanding for I do not have a sound reason.

The key in agreeing with your statement is the phrase "sound reasons". The definition of sound reasons could cause you and I to disagree on the whys of rejection.

Back