Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

How do we respond to jews who believe messiah hasn't come?

If people reject the scriptures then they reject God. The logic of the lost means nothing to me...

I am sorry that they are lost but they are "willingly ignorant". They choose to be...

2 Peter 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

Mystics, atheists, skeptics etc.

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

2 Peter 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

All the logic, statements and questions in the world cannot change that fact.

2 Peter 3:6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

2 Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

I don't care what a skeptic claims or asks their rejection of the true God and scripture is deliberate.

I don't have to play the "answer my question" game with the willingly ignorant.

There are no valid reasons to reject God's word...

Scoffers and skeptics will either come around to the truth or perish...

I pray for the former...

I'm glad Jesus had patience with his disciples..

I guess thats why he stayed around until they did fully understand who Jesus was, what his coming meant to them and the rest of mankind

Without those 12+1 including Paul fully understanding and Jesus not giving up on them there would be no Christians today.

Jewish people are a different case, from the gentiles.

Jesus told us in Luke 19 :41 he had hidden himself from the Jews, because they did not recognize it was God coming to them.

Only God can alter that and I believe he is doing so, many Jews are beginning to realise who Jesus was.. what we can do is, show the Jewish people our love and show what Jesus was all about.

Nicolaj said:
I'm glad Jesus had patience with his disciples..

I guess thats why he stayed around until they did fully understand who Jesus was, what his coming meant to them and the rest of mankind

Without those 12+1 including Paul fully understanding and Jesus not giving up on them there would be no Christians today.

Jewish people are a different case, from the gentiles.

Jesus told us in Luke 19 :41 he had hidden himself from the Jews, because they did not recognize it was God coming to them.

Only God can alter that and I believe he is doing so, many Jews are beginning to realise who Jesus was.. what we can do is, show the Jewish people our love and show what Jesus was all about.

Do unbelievers reject the Holy Spirit or do they reject believers that are preaching the gospel to them?

I suggest that unbelievers have a choice to accept the truth that the Holy Spirit reveals or to reject it and continue to live in darkness.
No one has greater love than God and the Bible teaches that no man comes to Jesus unless God draws them, and that God would that all would be saved.

Believers should strive to attain the mind of Christ by excercizing what is taught in the Word of God, walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh so that others can see Jesus who lives in them, and continue to mature spiritually as they abide in Jesus Christ.

The love of man in his nature is not enough for unbelievers to see Jesus, but the love of God that indwells believers by the Holy Spirit is enough for unbelievers to see Jesus in a believer's life.

We can show the Jews God's love by preaching the gospel to them.

They need to hear the clear message. The gospel is the power of God...

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Preadhing the gospel is what pleases God.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1 Corinthians 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

1 Corinthians 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

The Jews need the gospel. They need the same opportunity for salvation that is afforded for everyone else.

One day all Israel will be saved...

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Romans 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Romans 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Romans 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

Israel will be restored in the future.

They will repent and look upon the Messiah they rejected and crucified.

Zechariah 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

In this dispensation we must try to give the message of Salvation so some will be saved now.

Romans 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

Romans 11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

Solo said:
I agree that one that has sound reasons to believe that something can't be true, then they should reject it.

A straightforward answer to the question. Thank you. :D

Solo said:
If on the other hand, I reject the Bible as being the true word of God because I don't want to subject myself to its authority, then I should re-examine my understanding for I do not have a sound reason.

But perhaps there can be sound reasons to reject Christianity.

One line of argument that has been mentioned here, is aimed at showing that Jesus couldn't have been the Messiah.

If there were indeed sound reasons to believe that Jesus couldn't be the Messiah, would it then be right to reject Christianity do you think?

bibleberean said:
I don't have to play the "answer my question" game with the willingly ignorant.

Perhaps the (very simple) question was too difficult for you... sorry about that.

:D

Andyhill said:
Good afternoon!

I have found this thread very interesting. But I would respectfully submit that it lacks something. Instead of talking about Jews who do not accept Jesus, why not talk to one (i.e. me)?

Hi, I have a couple of questions for you-

Do you believe that Christianity can plausibly follow on from Judaism?

Could Jesus have had the lineage to be the Messiah?

Good afternoon!

DivineNames, you asked:

With all due respect, we don't think/believe so.

In Judaism, while Judaism itself is passed along (or not) in the maternal bloodline, one's tribal affiliation is inherited from one's viological father, i.e. it's paternal bloodline, and only paternal bloodline, that counts. As the exceedingly proud ( :smt041 :smt023 ) Papa of two boyz, both of whom my wife & I adopted (public & closed; that's how it is here) as infants here in Israel, I am indeed their legal Papa (when I glower at them & bellow, "Your butts belong to us!" I can produce two Jerusalem Family Court orders to prove that their butts, and everything else that goes with 'em, really do belong to us! :) ). But I am a Levite & they are not (neither, under Jewish law, can they inherit from me unless I specially arrange in my will for them to do so). If Jesus is the Son of God, and Joseph, apart from being Mary's husband, passed on no DNA to Jesus because it was God who impregnated Mary & not him, we cannot accept the claim of Davidic descent for Jesus at all, whichever list one goes by. Mary's tribal affiliation is utterly irrelevant to Jesus's since in Judaism, as I've said, tribal affiliation is inherited exclusively from one's biological father (I can cite Biblical proofs for this if you like).

Do you believe that Christianity can plausibly follow on from Judaism?

Sure, why not? We would file Christianity along with other streams that broke off from normative Judaism (i.e. the Samaritan faith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritan, the Karaites http://www.jewfaq.org/movement.htm#Karaites, and others, although Pauline Christianity is much further removed from normative Judaism than, say, the Karaites).

Is this helpful?

Be well!

Andyhill :smt039

Andyhill said:
Is this helpful?

Be well!

Thanks. :D

I will read the links you provided, I wasn't aware that other 'streams' had broken off from Judaism.

Something that interests me about Judaism, how inclined are Jews to read the Bible as always literal historical truth? Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden... should this be understood literally do you think?

And do you believe that it resulted in a "fallen state" in the way that Christians do?

Andyhill said:
Good afternoon!

DivineNames, you asked:

With all due respect, we don't think/believe so.

In Judaism, while Judaism itself is passed along (or not) in the maternal bloodline, one's tribal affiliation is inherited from one's viological father, i.e. it's paternal bloodline, and only paternal bloodline, that counts. As the exceedingly proud ( :smt041 :smt023 ) Papa of two boyz, both of whom my wife & I adopted (public & closed; that's how it is here) as infants here in Israel, I am indeed their legal Papa (when I glower at them & bellow, "Your butts belong to us!" I can produce two Jerusalem Family Court orders to prove that their butts, and everything else that goes with 'em, really do belong to us! :) ). But I am a Levite & they are not (neither, under Jewish law, can they inherit from me unless I specially arrange in my will for them to do so). If Jesus is the Son of God, and Joseph, apart from being Mary's husband, passed on no DNA to Jesus because it was God who impregnated Mary & not him, we cannot accept the claim of Davidic descent for Jesus at all, whichever list one goes by. Mary's tribal affiliation is utterly irrelevant to Jesus's since in Judaism, as I've said, tribal affiliation is inherited exclusively from one's biological father (I can cite Biblical proofs for this if you like).

[quote:94756]Do you believe that Christianity can plausibly follow on from Judaism?

Sure, why not? We would file Christianity along with other streams that broke off from normative Judaism (i.e. the Samaritan faith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritan, the Karaites http://www.jewfaq.org/movement.htm#Karaites, and others, although Pauline Christianity is much further removed from normative Judaism than, say, the Karaites).

Is this helpful?

Be well!

Andyhill :smt039[/quote:94756]
Andyhill,
Nice post. I am concerned that you posted that Jesus could not be the Messiah because his paternal lineage did not come from Joseph if indeed God was Jesus' paternal Father. God chose Solomon (Joseph's lineage to David) King of Israel over his older brother Nathan (Mary's lineage to David). If God chose Jesus to be King of Israel who would be able to argue it?

Here is an interesting article which explains the only legitimate Messiah possibility is Jesus.

The Only Possible Legitimate Messiah

Matthew, who is the most Jewish of the Gospels, begins with the words, “Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.â€Â

Is Jesus Christ the legitimate heir to the throne of King David? How can we be sure that He is the only possible legal, and the royal Messiah of Israel?

Jesus Christ “was a descendent of David,†therefore His Jewish ancestry is very important to establish His legitimacy as the Jewish messiah.

God “promised beforehand through the prophets in the holy scriptures†things concerning the coming of the son of David. Those things related to the place, nature of His birth, life, death and resurrection. His Jewish background would demand that He be born of the line of David if He would be eligible to sit on the great king’s throne and reign forever as the true king of Israel.

The prophet Jeremiah was specific when he wrote in 23:5-6 of the coming of the royal son of David:

“Behold, the days are coming,†declares the Lord,
“When I will raise up for David a righteous Branch;
And He will reign as king and act wisely
And do justice and righteousness in the land.
“In His days Judah will be saved,
And Israel will dwell securely;
And this is His name by which He will be called,
‘The Lord our righteousness.’â€Â

The Jewish writer Matthew uses the genealogy of Jesus of Nazareth to prove that Jesus had descended from King David and therefore qualified to be Israel’s Messiah. The promise had been given to King David, “Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before Me†(2 Samuel 7:16).

Matthew uses at least forty formal quotations from the Old Testament, and at least sixteen times he uses the formula, “all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet saying . . .†Matthew traces the origins of Jesus to King David and to the Jewish patriarch Abraham.

Matthew begins his genealogy with Abraham and moves forward through fourteen generations in history to David, and then his descendents through fourteen generations to the Babylonian exile, and another fourteen generations to “Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary by whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ†(Matt. 1:16).

Another genealogy is given by Luke, which moves in the opposite direction. He begins with Joseph and goes back to David, Abraham and Adam (Luke 3:31, 34, 38). He is giving evidence to show that Jesus “will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end†(1:32-33).

Both of the genealogies are dealing with the same person, Jesus the Messiah. Both trace the lineage of Jesus through His adopted father Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born.

The difficulty we encounter when we look at the two genealogies is quite interesting. They are the lines of two brothers and the children are cousins. Matthew says that Joseph was the son of Jacob who descended from David through David’s son and successor King Solomon (1:6). However, Luke says that Joseph was the son of Heli who had descended from David through Nathan (Luke 3:31), who was also David’s son and a brother of Solomon (v. 32).

Bernhard Weiss and James Orr carefully note that we are looking at two lineages of Joseph and Mary respectively, each who are descendents of King David. “Nathan’s line ran on through the years and ultimately produced the Virgin Mary. Solomon’s line ran on through the years and ultimately produced Joseph.†But Joseph was not the father of Jesus. He was the husband of Mary, the adoptive father of Jesus (Matt. 1:16). The distinction between these two lines of descent from David is between the “royal†line of those who actually sat on the throne and the “legal†line of descent from one oldest son to the next, even though these descendents never actually reigned as kings of Israel.

It is important to keep in mind these two lines of descendents from King David. Nathan was the older brother of Solomon, but the younger brother took the throne. Solomon was the king God chose to reign after David’s death. Normally, however, that would have fallen to the elder son, Nathan, who would have been king if God had not given it to Solomon. Of course, none of Nathan’s descendents ever claimed the throne. There were no reigning kings in his line of descendents, even though they had the legal right to the throne.

The line of Solomon continued down through the centuries until it eventually produced Joseph, who was betrothed to the virgin Mary who would eventually become her husband after she had given birth to Jesus. However, note very carefully that Jesus was not a descendent of Joseph. However, when Joseph took Mary under his protection and thus became the adoptive father of her divine child, he passed the right of royalty to Jesus.

Moreover, Jeremiah 22:30 tells us that if Jesus had descended from Joseph a divine curse would have been on Him. Jeremiah tells us a terrible curse was pronounced on king Jehoiachin (Jechonias, whom Jeremiah abbreviates to Coniah), the last of the actual reigning kings who descended from King Solomon.

“Thus says the Lord,
‘Write this man down childless,
A man who will not prosper in his days;
For no man of his descendants will prosper
Sitting on the throne of David
Or ruling again in Judah.’ â€Â

Because of God’s curse on Jehoiachin, no king who ever descended in that line could be a legitimate king. If Joseph had been the physical father of Jesus, Jesus could not have been the Messiah. Jesus is the son of Mary, not the son of Joseph and Mary.

But wait. What about Joseph and his descendents? Remember, Jesus was not a physical descendent of Joseph. Joseph was Jesus’ step-father. Each of his half brothers, who were the only other possible candidates for the Messiah had the curse of Jehoiachin on them and would have passed it on to their children if they had become king.

Because Jesus was a divine child his adoptive father handed the reign over to Him. Therefore, Jesus was a legitimate royal heir to the throne.

Donald Grey Barnhouse explains:

The line that had no curse upon it produced Heli and his daughter the Virgin Mary and her Son Jesus Christ. He is therefore eligible by the line of Nathan and exhausts that line. The line that had a curse on it produced Joseph and exhausts the line of Solomon, for Joseph’s other children now have an elder brother who, legally, by adoption, is the royal heir. How can the title be free in any case? A curse on one line and the lack of reigning royalty in the other.

But when God the Holy Spirit begat the Lord Jesus Christ in the womb of the virgin without any use of a human father, the child that was born was the seed of David according to the flesh. And when Joseph married Mary and took the unborn child under his protecting care, giving him the title that had come down to him through his ancestor Solomon, the Lord Jesus became the legal Messiah, the royal messiah, the uncursed messiah, the true Messiah, the only possible messiah. The lines are exhausted. Any man that ever comes into this world professing to fulfill the conditions will be a liar and the child of the devil (Man’s Ruin: Exposition of Bible Doctrines, Taking the Epistle to the Romans as a Point of Departure, vol. 1, Romans 1:1-32. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1952, p. 45-47).

Moreover, because Jesus descended from Mary, who also was a descendent of King David through the lineage of Nathan, He had a legal claim to the throne. The two lines of David focused on the Messiah. No one else could ever bring a legitimate claim to the throne of David.

Donald Barnhouse concludes, “If Jesus is not the Messiah who has descended from David according to the Old Testament prophecies, there will never be a Messiah. For Jesus had no human children, and each of his brothers (who are the only other possibilities through whom another messiah might descend) had the curse on him and would have passed it on to his children†and Jeremiah’s prophecy would thus be fulfilled.

Jesus Christ is the legitimate descendent from two lines of King David. He is the King announced in the Jewish prophecies. He is the King Messiah who was also the Son of God. He is the “King of Kings and Lord of Lords.†No one else can make that claim. He is the only possible legitimate Messiah. There can absolutely be no other.

How significant that the great prophecy that the Messiah King would come through the line of David was given just a few verses after the great words of judgment on the descendents of Jehoiachin. C. C. Ryrie notes, “If Jesus had been born only in the line of Joseph (and thus of Jechoniah, Heb. Coniah), He would not have been qualified to reign on the throne of David in the Millennium.†He also writes, “Had our Lord been the natural son of Joseph, He could not have been successful on the throne of David because of this curse. But since He came through Mary’s lineage, He was not affected by this curse.â€Â

Though Jechoniah’s sons never occupied the throne, the line of rulership passed through them. If Jesus had been a physical descendent of Jechoniah, He would not have been able to occupy David’s throne. Luke’s genealogy makes it clear that Jesus was a legal descendant of David through his son Nathan (Lk. 3:31). Joseph, a descendent of Solomon, was Jesus’ legal adoptive father, so Jesus traced His royal rights to the throne through Joseph.

Jesus Christ is the only legitimate legal Jewish Messiah. Let us bow and worship Him as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Retrieved from http://www.abideinchrist.com/messages/legitmessiah.html

Message by Wil Pounds (c) 2002. Anyone is free to use this material and distribute it, but it may not be sold under any circumstances whatsoever without the author's written consent. Scripture quotations from the New American Standard Bible (c) 1973 The Lockman Foundation.

Good afternoon!

DivineNames, you asked:

Something that interests me about Judaism, how inclined are Jews to read the Bible as always literal historical truth? Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden... should this be understood literally do you think?

How do I, an orthodox Jew, view the Tanakh (what we call what Christians call the "Old Testament")?

First, about a "literal reading" of the Tanakh. I don't think that any two people could agree on a "literal reading" of, say, Genesis (certainly mine, as an orthodox Jew and based on the original Hebrew, will probably differ in many particulars from that of a fundamentalist Protestant, based on the KJV); such a thing is inherently subjective and based on our own idiosyncrasies, psychological/emotional/spiritual baggage and personal it-seems-to-me's. Thus, we should be very leery of basing beliefs and/or arguments on a "literal reading" of the scriptures. Those who do insist on a strict, narrow, "literal" interpretation of this or that section of scripture are, I believe, forcing it into a literary and spiritual strait-jacket entirely of their own devising that does no justice to the scriptures..

So, that being said, how do I, the orthodox Jew, view the Torah? Well, of course, I believe that it (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy) is the literal word of God as He revealed it to Moses our Teacher. We believe that the Torah can be understood/appreciated/interpreted on any of four general levels ranging from that which is most in accord with a close reading of the (original Hebrew!!!) text, to the metaphorical, to the most rarefied and esoteric (the grasp of which is waaay beyond most of us). Who is to say which chapter and verse of Genesis is to be best understood or appreciated on which level? Moreover, our Sages say that the Torah is like a diamond with many facets, each with its own brilliance, each offering a different perspective from which to behold the wondrous jewel.

Lastly, I would humbly argue that we are grasping at trees & missing the forest. What is more important, (sterile?) debates over whether Genesis proves/supports or disproves/opposes this or that theory of creation or evolution, or whether the Flood "really happened" or discussing, studying and seeking to internalize its sublime moral, ethical and spiritual truths (such as befit the word of God)?

I heard a story that Karl Barth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Barth) once gave a lecture on Genesis 3 at the University of Chicago. When it came time for the question and answer portion, a student spoke up and said "Dr. Barth, you don't really believe snakes could talk do you?" Barth replied, "I could care less whether or not snakes could talk. What I'm interested in is what the snake said."

I'll add one more thing. It always gets me how some religious folk, usually of a more fundamentalist bent, treat the scriptures as if they were some kind of adult version of a first grade reader, i.e. with everything very simply/simplistically laid out & spelled out, no depth, no use of simile, metaphor & allegory, no layers of meaning, and with shallow, uncomplex characters who never have mixed motives. This is not the Jewish view at all! We see the Tanakh as possessing limitless depth, a rich, oftentimes allegorical & metaphorical, language that lends itself to a multiplicity of interpretations (within limits) and a vast reservoir of multi-layered meaning. The characters are complex & not made out of cardboard.

And do you believe that it resulted in a "fallen state" in the way that Christians do?

No. Original Sin is not a Jewish belief/doctrine. See http://www.outreachjudaism.org/original.htm & http://tinyurl.com/bevh7.

Solo, you posted:

Nice post.

Thank you!

The article you cited said that:

Joseph, a descendent of Solomon, was Jesus’ legal adoptive father, so Jesus traced His royal rights to the throne through Joseph.

While such a dynamic may hold in Roman law (I think of Nerva adopting Trajan who adopted Hadrian who adopted Antoninus Pius who adopted Marcus Aurelius) or the English common law, it does not hold in Jewish law. Tribal affiliation, including the Davidic kingship, the Aaronic priesthood & Levitical status are passed in the direct, physical/biological male line only. I s'pose that we'll have to amicably (!) file this one under "Agree-to-disagree."

The descent issue is only one of several which lead us to not accept Jesus Christ as the Messiah.

Be well!

Andyhill

Solo said:
Here is an interesting article which explains the only legitimate Messiah possibility is Jesus.

The article doesn't seem to address the problems that have previously been mentioned-

Neither Joseph or Mary (assuming Luke gives the lineage of Mary) had a legit line, and neither of them could pass it to Jesus even if they did.

DivineNames said:
Solo said:
I agree that one that has sound reasons to believe that something can't be true, then they should reject it.

A straightforward answer to the question. Thank you. :D

Solo said:
If on the other hand, I reject the Bible as being the true word of God because I don't want to subject myself to its authority, then I should re-examine my understanding for I do not have a sound reason.

But perhaps there can be sound reasons to reject Christianity.

One line of argument that has been mentioned here, is aimed at showing that Jesus couldn't have been the Messiah.

If there were indeed sound reasons to believe that Jesus couldn't be the Messiah, would it then be right to reject Christianity do you think?

??

All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and his witness.
All have the freewill to believe or not to believe Jesus Christ and the witness of the Holy Spirit.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness of God the Father.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness of His creation.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness of the Apostles.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness of the body of Christ.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness the Word of God.

So the answer to your question is, "There are no sound reasons to reject Jesus Christ as the Messiah, thereby rejecting Christianity".

For the rejection is not of the Messiah or Christianity, but a perceived change of life, right or wrong, that an unbeliever has to make in order to believe.

The whole decision is based on what a person is to do with the short temporary years one has on this earth in the current physical form. Fill the desires of ones heart for seventy years and give up an eternity with God,
or begin to live with God and abundant life with the short time in the current physical form, looking forward to a joint inheritance with Jesus Christ, the God of creation.

A pretty easy decision when a proper understanding is acquired, rejection of Jesus has no sound reasons only excuses.

Those who do insist on a strict, narrow, "literal" interpretation of this or that section of scripture are, I believe, forcing it into a literary and spiritual strait-jacket entirely of their own devising that does no justice to the scriptures..

Moreover, our Sages say that the Torah is like a diamond with many facets, each with its own brilliance, each offering a different perspective from which to behold the wondrous jewel.

When it came time for the question and answer portion, a student spoke up and said "Dr. Barth, you don't really believe snakes could talk do you?" Barth replied, "I could care less whether or not snakes could talk. What I'm interested in is what the snake said."

Yes!! I love that! The Bible offers us insights into some of the most profound truths about human existence!! A historical reading loses much of this...history is very much dead, and a religion rooted in it is dead. Rather a living religion is rooted in somthing that lives within us, or has the potential too!

I don't know very much about Judaism, but I think the way you portray it is very profound and impressive. All this banter about accepting Christ is really irrelevant I believe. I think the New Testament has alot to offer to Jews too, insight wise. But i don't mean I think Jews need to become Christians or anything. Nearly every religious text has something good to offer...we can learn from them all. You've definitely helped me to see Judaism in a new light! thanks!

Hi all!

About our views on Isaiah 53, see http://www.messiahtruth.com/isai53a.html.

Ahimsa, you posted:

The Bible offers us insights into some of the most profound truths about human existence!!

Correct.

I do not believe that the Bible is a history/geology/cosmology/whateverology text. I do believe that it is God's loving instructions on how He wants us to lead our lives.

You've definitely helped me to see Judaism in a new light! thanks!

You're welcome!

Be well!

Solo said:
So the answer to your question is, "There are no sound reasons to reject Jesus Christ as the Messiah, thereby rejecting Christianity".

No, that isn't an answer to the question that I asked.

If there were sound reasons to think Jesus couldn't be the Messiah, would it be right to reject Christianity do you think?

DivineNames said:
Solo said:

No, that isn't an answer to the question that I asked.

If there were sound reasons to think Jesus couldn't be the Messiah, would it be right to reject Christianity do you think?

It is not RIGHT to reject Jesus as the Messiah because there are not any sound reasons to.

If you have some sound reasons to reject Jesus as the Christ, then let's see them.

Solo said:
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and his witness.
All have the freewill to believe or not to believe Jesus Christ and the witness of the Holy Spirit.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness of God the Father.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness of His creation.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness of the Apostles.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness of the body of Christ.
All have the freewill to believe or not believe Jesus Christ and the witness the Word of God.

For the rejection is not of the Messiah or Christianity, but a perceived change of life, right or wrong, that an unbeliever has to make in order to believe.

The whole decision is based on what a person is to do with the short temporary years one has on this earth in the current physical form. Fill the desires of ones heart for seventy years and give up an eternity with God,
or begin to live with God and abundant life with the short time in the current physical form, looking forward to a joint inheritance with Jesus Christ, the God of creation.

A pretty easy decision when a proper understanding is acquired, rejection of Jesus has no sound reasons only excuses.

This is all very interesting, but can you explain how Jesus could have had the lineage to be the Messiah?

Back