Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study How is it known that one cannot be saved AFTER death?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

How does one confess Jesus as Lord and Savior and live in the will of God in the grave. Those who have died rejecting God and His Son Christ Jesus have already condemned themselves for after death comes the judgement (no second chance) and the resurrection of the dead. Some to eternal life and some to damnation, John 5:28, 29.
Can you imagine how horrible things would be on earth if we could all wait around for a "last" chance?
I thank God for making it possible to live in accordance to His will here and now

Purgatory

Welcome
To the hotel
Purga Tory
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely place
Plenty of room
At the hotel
Purga Tory
Purgatory is just another weapon the devil uses to allow men to commit sin, while retaining the false hope of eternal life anyway.
If men think they will be able to endure the punishment meted out by God, for just a few years, they are much less inclined to remain obedient to Him.

Can you imagine how horrible things would be on earth if we could all wait around for a "last" chance?
It's not about that. It's about people that never came to Christ during life because they were misguided or simply didn't believe and the possibility of them being forgiven and saved after death. That's not the same as someone who DOES believe but chooses to reject Jesus.

Purgatory is just another weapon the devil uses to allow men to commit sin, while retaining the false hope of eternal life anyway.
I think an argument could be made that the idea that we can sin and then be forgiven and are immediately with God in paradise is the easier way out. The concept of purgatory is that souls are forgiven but are still impure and they are "purged" of their earthly, sinful desires.

But, if you're saying we don't need to do any of that and simply get a free pass, that sounds easier and better to me!

Purgatory

Welcome
To the hotel
Purga Tory
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely place
Plenty of room
At the hotel
Purga Tory
I found this one day searching about purgatory, but never listed where I found it so this is not my work but have the Jerusalem Bible that has the books of Macabbes in and read the scriptures there.

2 Macabbes is where Catholics get their idea of a purgatory and that everyone will go to be with Christ when He returns. There is no purgatory as this is just something that man dreamed up and is not of God. In Psalms 88 we see Heman was asking God these three questions in vs. 10-12 as he was sore plexed in approching his own death and was not sure that he would escape the wrath of God in judgement and was wondering if those who died who are in the grave could hear Gods voice. Psalms 6:5; Hebrews 9:27; Matthew 8:21,22; 2 Corinthians 5:8-11; Revelation 14:13 are just for a few scriptures all state the grave is a place of unconscienceness where there is no memory and souls are not capable of anything as it is dark silence waiting that of Gods judgement at the end of time when Christ returns and separates the sheep from the goats. They have no knowledge, no comfort, no praise of God, and most assuredly, no power of intercession.

2 Macabbes 12:38-45 Judas Maccabaeus is speaking about the sacrifice for the fallen who were found to have pagan idols on them when they died and this was the reason for their death as it is against God to have such idols in ones posession. It was clear to everyone why these men lost their lives. All of them blest the Lord and gave themselves to prayer begging that the sin commited by those who died would be blotted out. Judas urged the people to keep themselves free from sin, seeing with their own eyes the effects of the sin of those who had fallen. Judas then took a collection of money and sent it to Jerusalem to have a sacrifice for sin offered. although a fine and nobel action in which he took full account of the resurrection. For if he had not expected the fallen to rise again it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. Whereas if he had in view the splendid recompense reserved for those who made a pious end, the though was holy and devout. This was why he had this atonement sacrifice offered for the dead so that they might be released from their sin.

This is where the Roman Catholic Church came up with the concept of purgatory. Hopefully this will clear some things up we have been discussing. Also here is a good website that explains why the two books of Maccabees are not found in the KJV Bible

Jerusalem Bible
2 Maccabees 12:38-45
The sacrifice for the fallen

12:38 Judas then rallied his army and moved on to the town of Adullam, and since the seventh day of the week had arrived they purified themselves according to custom and kept the sabbath in that place.
12:39 The next day they came to Judas (since the necessity was by now urgent) to have the bodies of the fallen taken up and laid to rest among their relatives in their ancestral tombs.
12:40 But when they found on each of the dead men, under their tunics, amulets of the idols taken from Jamnia, which the Law prohibits to Jews, it became clear to everyone that this was why these men had lost their lives.
12:41 All then blessed the ways of the Lord, the just judge who brings hidden things to light,
12:42 and gave themselves to prayer, begging that the sin committed might be fully blotted out. Next, the valiant Judas urged the people to keep themselves free from all sin, having seen with their own eyes the effects of the sin of those who had fallen;
12:43 after this he took a collection from them individually, amounting to nearly two thousand drachmae, and sent it to Jerusalem to have a sacrifice for sin offered, an altogether fine and noble action, in which he took full account of the resurrection.
12:44 For if he had not expected the fallen to rise again it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead,
12:45 whereas if he had in view the splendid recompense reserved for those who make a pious end, the thought was holy and devout. This was why he had this atonement sacrifice offered for the dead, so that they might be released from their sin.

In your opinion
I would believe it if God had taught it, but since it is nowhere to be found in His word then I will not believe in such a place.

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

It's not about that. It's about people that never came to Christ during life because they were misguided or simply didn't believe and the possibility of them being forgiven and saved after death. That's not the same as someone who DOES believe but chooses to reject Jesus.
I see no difference.

I think an argument could be made that the idea that we can sin and then be forgiven and are immediately with God in paradise is the easier way out.
That is what the unfaithful are hoping.
The concept of purgatory is that souls are forgiven but are still impure and they are "purged" of their earthly, sinful desires.
That doesn't match my prior catholic education.
And it is the catholic's idea to begin with.
But, if you're saying we don't need to do any of that and simply get a free pass, that sounds easier and better to me!
Au contraire, mon frère !
God has supplied everything we need to remain obedient to Him now, during our lives on earth...thanks be to God !
There is no need for an additional time of forgiveness, or suffering, after death.

It's about people that never came to Christ during life because they were misguided or simply didn't believe and the possibility of them being forgiven and saved after death.
Not to mention the 2 billion people that have not heard of Christ.
From a human perspective, THAT'S NOT FAIR or FAVORITISM or FATE or UNLUCKY.

John 6:39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but that I [give new life and] raise it up at the last day. AMP

Back