Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] How old is the Earth???

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It doesn't say that.

Anyway, this thread belongs in the Science forum.

Snip: https://answersingenesis.org/dinosaurs/dinosaurs-and-the-bible/

The bible does mention a great beast. This actually fits with what know about how big they used to be.

)))))In the Bible, in Job 40:15–24, God describes to Job (who lived after the Flood) a great beast with which Job was familiar. This great animal, called “behemoth,” is described as “the chief of the ways of God,” perhaps the biggest land animal God had created. Impressively, he moved his tail like a cedar tree! Although some Bible commentaries say this may have been an elephant or hippopotamus, the description actually fits that of a dinosaur like Brachiosaurus. Elephants and hippos certainly do not have tails like cedar trees!((((((

behemoth-tail.jpg

Snip: https://answersingenesis.org/dinosaurs/dinosaurs-and-the-bible/

The bible does mention a great beast. This actually fits with what know about how big they used to be.

)))))In the Bible, in Job 40:15–24, God describes to Job (who lived after the Flood) a great beast with which Job was familiar. This great animal, called “behemoth,” is described as “the chief of the ways of God,” perhaps the biggest land animal God had created. Impressively, he moved his tail like a cedar tree! Although some Bible commentaries say this may have been an elephant or hippopotamus, the description actually fits that of a dinosaur like Brachiosaurus. Elephants and hippos certainly do not have tails like cedar trees!((((((

behemoth-tail.jpg
The answer to this has been hinted at already. The tail is a euphemism for something else. Do some study on it.

Understand now I'm using Gods word and nothing else..

Genesis 6:17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

18 But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.

19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

Noah brought every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort into the ark... As children of God we have been granted the freedom to believe everything God says is true, the devil is out to destroy that freedom..

tob
So what then? Satan made all these millions of fossils? Why?

Of course, all that passage means is dinosaurs and humans didn't exist at the same time; it does not mean dinosaurs never existed..

So what then? Satan made all these millions of fossils? Why?

Of course, all that passage means is dinosaurs and humans didn't exist at the same time; it does not mean dinosaurs never existed..

Before we go any further with this Free do you reject the literal interpretation of Genesis and instead find truth through science?

tob

Before we go any further with this Free do you reject the literal interpretation of Genesis and instead find truth through science?
No, but I take "literally" to mean what scholars mean by it--to understand the text as the author intended; which is how we must read all biblical texts. Science and Scripture are ultimately not at odds. It would be of great benefit if Christians stopped supporting atheists in the belief that they are at odds, that it's either/or.

To outright reject science is to reject Rom 1. and Psa. 19, not to mention what it means for one to hold so tightly to their interpretation of Scripture even when evidence is given to the contrary.

So where did dinosaur bones come from?

No, but I take "literally" to mean what scholars mean by it--to understand the text as the author intended; which is how we must read all biblical texts. Science and Scripture are ultimately not at odds. It would be of great benefit if Christians stopped supporting atheists in the belief that they are at odds, that it's either/or.

To outright reject science is to reject Rom 1. and Psa. 19, not to mention what it means for one to hold so tightly to their interpretation of Scripture even when evidence is given to the contrary.

So where did dinosaur bones come from?

In your case wherever the scholars said they came from i guess, I'll go with the 6th day of creation..

tob

Why not just acknowledge that much of Genesis is true, but not literal?

Then you'd have it right.

In other words..

The papal astronomer further explained that he rejects the literal interpretation of Genesis and instead finds truth through “science.”

“Science is a way of getting close to creation, to really getting intimate with creation, and it’s a way of getting intimate with the Creator,” he claimed. “It’s an act of worship.”

http://christiannews.net/2014/10/27...tion-argues-god-and-evolution-are-compatible/

Did you also know Baal was considered the god of nature?

tob

Now you're going in circles. Where did the dinosaur fossils come from?

The word is Behemoth Free dinosaur isn't in scripture, its a man made word..

The original behemoth is found in the Bible. Job 40:15-24 describes a land-dwelling beast having mythic proportions (a tail like a cedar tree) and supernatural characteristics (bones like bars of brass and iron). The Hebrew word that is used (bəhēmōth) is the augmentative plural form of the word for “beast” or “animal.” Normally, bəhēmōth would translate as the plural noun “beasts,” but as it is used to describe a singular being, the interpretation is that of a mighty or monstrous animal.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/behemoth

and like all living creatures on land they died in the flood..

tob

The word is Behemoth Free dinosaur isn't in scripture, its a man made word..

The original behemoth is found in the Bible. Job 40:15-24 describes a land-dwelling beast having mythic proportions (a tail like a cedar tree) and supernatural characteristics (bones like bars of brass and iron). The Hebrew word that is used (bəhēmōth) is the augmentative plural form of the word for “beast” or “animal.” Normally, bəhēmōth would translate as the plural noun “beasts,” but as it is used to describe a singular being, the interpretation is that of a mighty or monstrous animal.

and like all living creatures on land they died in the flood..

tob
Are you saying Behemoth is referring to a dinosaur? I don't understand how this post addresses my question.

Are you saying Behemoth is referring to a dinosaur? I don't understand how this post addresses my question.

What I'm saying or rather repeating is..

Genesis 7:21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:

22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.

If you want to call them dinosaurs that's what happened to them, everything was fossilized at the time of the flood..

tob

What I'm saying or rather repeating is..

Genesis 7:21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:

22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.

If you want to call them dinosaurs that's what happened to them, everything was fossilized at the time of the flood..

tob
You're still avoiding what I've been asking.

You stated: "Life was different before the flood, men lived hundreds of years, those that believe the scriptures believe animals lived longer as well.. How large do you suppose a lion would be if he lived 200 years,? "

I asked: "You really think that with the thousands of different fossils that look nothing like animals alive today, that paleontologists and the like have simply mistaken them for larger versions of animals that are alive today?"

Why are you avoiding that question? Did the T-rex exist? Did the triceratops or brontosaurus exist?

How large do you suppose a lion would be if he lived 200 years,?
To my knowledge lions, like people and most, if not all, other mammals, don't continue to grow larger throughout their entire lives so the answer could be the same as they are today.

You're still avoiding what I've been asking.

You stated: "Life was different before the flood, men lived hundreds of years, those that believe the scriptures believe animals lived longer as well.. How large do you suppose a lion would be if he lived 200 years,? "

I asked: "You really think that with the thousands of different fossils that look nothing like animals alive today, that paleontologists and the like have simply mistaken them for larger versions of animals that are alive today?"

Why are you avoiding that question? Did the T-rex exist? Did the triceratops or brontosaurus exist?

Whether they did or whether they didn't matters to you doesn't it, why? I've shown you scriptures from Genesis what more do you want, what are you seeking?

tob

To my knowledge lions, like people and most, if not all, other mammals, don't continue to grow larger throughout their entire lives so the answer could be the same as they are today.

Gods word says there were giants in the earth in those days, could it mean giant birds giant animals as well, i wasn't there..

tob

Whether they did or whether they didn't matters to you doesn't it, why? I've shown you scriptures from Genesis what more do you want, what are you seeking?
It matters because you made some claims and are still continuing to dodge in giving any answers as to what you meant.

You have stated:

"behemoths are biblical dinosaurs aren't.."

"Life was different before the flood, men lived hundreds of years, those that believe the scriptures believe animals lived longer as well.. How large do you suppose a lion would be if he lived 200 years,? Man comes along with his preconceived ideas adds an artist the likes of Van Gogh to draw what he conceives to be a dinosaur.."

"Noah brought every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort into the ark... As children of God we have been granted the freedom to believe everything God says is true, the devil is out to destroy that freedom.."

The problem is that you are comment deleted ignoring the greater context of Scripture as a whole.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back