Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I was denied the eucharist...and it hurt

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Priest who wouldn't let her participate in the Passover observance was wrong to do that, right? For he did not qualify her status as a child of God this way.
The priest was following the teaching of his Church, and was right to do so. This does *not* mean that the Church denies the OP's status as a child of God. It merely acknowledges that - as an Anglican - she is not in unity with the Church, and therefore cannot receive the Eucharist - the sign of unity - at her hands. This has been explained to you.

I am disappointed that you are not prepared to permit this fact to stand in the way of simple prejudice. Shame on you.

So now explain why that means she can't take Communion.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
1400 Ecclesial communities derived from the Reformation and separated from the Catholic Church, "have not preserved the proper reality of the Eucharistic mystery in its fullness, especially because of the absence of the sacrament of Holy Orders."236 It is for this reason that Eucharistic intercommunion with these communities is not possible for the Catholic Church. However these ecclesial communities, "when they commemorate the Lord's death and resurrection in the Holy Supper . . . profess that it signifies life in communion with Christ and await his coming in glory."237

The priest was following the teaching of his Church, and was right to do so. This does *not* mean that the Church denies the OP's status as a child of God. It merely acknowledges that - as an Anglican - she is not in unity with the Church, and therefore cannot receive the Eucharist - the sign of unity - at her hands. This has been explained to you.

I am disappointed that you are not prepared to permit this fact to stand in the way of simple prejudice. Shame on you.
You don't seem to realize that NO ONE can deny a Christian participation in Communion based on what church they go to. The simple fact that they are a child of God, as even you say can be possible, entitles them complete and unfettered access to the Passover elements. Shame on the Catholic church!

You don't seem to realize that NO ONE can deny a Christian participation in Communion based on what church they go to. The simple fact that they are a child of God, as even you say can be possible, entitles them complete and unfettered access to the Passover elements. Shame on the Catholic church!
Your opinion not a fact.
And it is one I disagree with.

So now explain why that means she can't take Communion.
As a non-Catholic, understanding that they have an entirely different view of Communion, I would never stand in line to try and receive it, should I ever find myself at an RC church.

There are some Reformed churches that won't let anyone they don't know take part in Communion, as they don't know if the person is truly a believer, and it could potentially result in a person eating and drinking judgement on themself (1 Cor 11:29).

Every church and denomination has the right to decide who can receive it and who can't.

Easter is a Catholic invention.
Do you disagree with historian John Dickson? This is a quote of his from Facebook:

"It's worth remembering that our primary sources establish that Easter (Pascha), as a regular festival recalling Christ's death and resurrection, was observed as early as the mid-to-late 100s AD. Christians were already disagreeing over the precise day—whether 14 Nisan or a nearby Sunday—but they all accepted the importance of the celebration. The same evidence also indicates that the Christians of that time believed the celebration of the festival to be a tradition deriving from the apostles themselves. I suspect they were correct.

[Primary sources: Irenaeus, Melito of Sardis, Letter of Polycrates, as well as Eusebius and Socrates Scholasticus]"

If a person does not believe the above,
They should not go to the altar.
I agree. It would be pointless to do so. I don't see where this means one must belong to the Roman Catholic church in order to partake of Holy Communion but that is what the Catholic church teaches and demands.

As a non-Catholic, understanding that they have an entirely different view of Communion, I would never stand in line to try and receive it, should I ever find myself at an RC church.

There are some Reformed churches that won't let anyone they don't know take part in Communion, as they don't know if the person is truly a believer, and it could potentially result in a person eating and drinking judgement on themself (1 Cor 11:29).

Every church and denomination has the right to decide who can receive it and who can't.
How is anyone, except God, qualified to determine who is or is not a Christian? That's where I see the problem. The churches make a determination without knowing the person. We are not able to truly know the person's motives, heart, or faith. The judgment is God's responsibility not ours.

How is anyone, except God, qualified to determine who is or is not a Christian? That's where I see the problem. The churches make a determination without knowing the person. We are not able to truly know the person's motives, heart, or faith. The judgment is God's responsibility not ours.
That is true and I'm not saying that when those things are done it is right. All I am saying is that Paul gives a severe warning for those who eat and drink in an unworthy manner and states that is why some got sick and others died. This is one reason why church membership becomes very important--so that the elders can know who has made a profession of faith and who actually lives like they are saved.

Churches should leave it up to the individual to decide, but as those who are responsible for those in their care, it would seem that they also have the right to decide how they want to go about it.

This is also the CC's reasoning, of course.

Jesus didn't know His church would be splintered into hundreds of denominations.
Actually, I think He did.

God gave warnings of false teaching through His prophets.

And the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who prophesy, and say to those who prophesy out of their own heart, ‘Hear the word of the Lord!’ ” Thus says the Lord God: “Woe to the foolish prophets, who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing! O Israel, your prophets are like foxes in the deserts. You have not gone up into the gaps to build a wall for the house of Israel to stand in battle on the day of the Lord. They have envisioned futility and false divination, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord!’ But the Lord has not sent them; yet they hope that the word may be confirmed. Have you not seen a futile vision, and have you not spoken false divination? You say, ‘The Lord says,’ but I have not spoken.” Therefore thus says the Lord God: “Because you have spoken nonsense and envisioned lies, therefore I am indeed against you,” says the Lord God. “My hand will be against the prophets who envision futility and who divine lies; they shall not be in the assembly of My people, nor be written in the record of the house of Israel, nor shall they enter into the land of Israel. Then you shall know that I am the Lord God.
Ezekiel 13:1-9 NKJV

And the Lord said to me, “The prophets prophesy lies in My name. I have not sent them, commanded them, nor spoken to them; they prophesy to you a false vision, divination, a worthless thing, and the deceit of their heart. Therefore thus says the Lord concerning the prophets who prophesy in My name, whom I did not send, and who say, ‘Sword and famine shall not be in this land’—‘By sword and famine those prophets shall be consumed!"
Jeremiah 14:14-15 NKJV

Jesus warned of false teachings.

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them."
Matthew 7:15-20 NKJV

"There will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake those days will be shortened. Then if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or 'There!' do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect."
Matthew 24:21-24 NKJV

Paul too gave warnings.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
2 Timothy 4:3-4 NKJV

Peter gave warnings as well.

Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures. You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
2 Peter 3:14-18 NKJV

But only according to the reason the Bible says not to participate. Catholic vs. non-Catholic is not a reason. If a Catholic visited my church they could most certainly take Communion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back