Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Invisible Christianity

Though there have been men filled with the Holy Ghost that guided me earlier in life, no "man" is my leader...or father now.
And none would have me call them Father...ever !
Scripture does

The same way as the Hebrews 11 Saints, through faith.
Faith? Yes!
Faith alone? Never!

Jn 3:16 includes everything a Christian must believe to have grace union and salvation especially baptismal regeneration cos it is the initiation of the covenant and the seal of the spirit

Authority in men!

Do you have a problem with moses having authority too?

How does that answer my question ?

Not at all.
But I would never have referred to him as "father".
Especially since Jesus forbade it.
Explain Jn 4:20 please
She calls men father?
Stephen calls men father over and over in acts 7?

Thks

Explain Jn 4:20 please
She calls men father?
The Samarian woman wasn't addressing the ancients in a manner giving them superiority over herself.
Not like the catholics do with their alleged priests.
Stephen calls men father over and over in acts 7?
Stephen's use of the word "father", was only in the sense of "old men".

Is it really so difficult for you to just obey Jesus from Matt 23:9 ?..."And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."

The Samarian woman wasn't addressing the ancients in a manner giving them superiority over herself.
Not like the catholics do with their alleged priests.

Stephen's use of the word "father", was only in the sense of "old men".

Is it really so difficult for you to just obey Jesus from Matt 23:9 ?..."And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."
Old men no, the patriarchs of Israel the same MEN God calls father

Ex 3:6 Moreover he said, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.

The patriarchs (((fathers)))

Is Abraham our father?

Not many fathers?

1 Corinthians 4:15
For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye notmany fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Instructors are teach and calling men teacher (((dr. Luther))) is also supposed to be forbidden

The one who has authority with the sign of the keys matt 16:18-19 is called father per isa 22:21-22

Ex 3:6 Moreover he said, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.

Is Abraham our father?

Not many fathers?

For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye notmany fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Instructors are teach and calling men teacher (((dr. Luther))) is also supposed to be forbidden

The one who has authority with the sign of the keys matt 16:18-19 is called father per isa 22:21-22
I will continue to stick with my Lord Jesus Christ on this one.
Catholicism has always been intent on dragging OT ways and means into the NT, but no good has come of it.

Is Abraham our father?

Not many fathers?

Just some food for thought.

I think context is very important. The title "father" in one sense is a lineage through birth. My father begot me and his father begot him and so forth. But if we look at the text where it is found where Jesus said not to call anyone father, He was speaking about something a little different. He was addressing pride, arrogance, and self-righteousness telling His disciples not to call themselves "Rabbi" or "Teacher" or "Father" which are titles not come by birth. In the Catholic church when referring to a priest as father it has absolutely nothing to do with birth lineage or ancestry but is used as a term of position and importance and could be a source of pride, arrogance, self-centeredness, etc. The risk is potentially sinful on the part of the priest in the form of pride or self-righteousness or possibly on the part of others in placing the priest as a potential idol. I think it would be good to really consider what Jesus was saying.

Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’ But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Matthew 23:1-12 NKJV

Just my thoughts for what it's worth.

Faith? Yes!
Faith alone? Never!

Jn 3:16 includes everything a Christian must believe to have grace union and salvation especially baptismal regeneration cos it is the initiation of the covenant and the seal of the spirit
As Eph2:8+9 says Faith is a gift from God.

We have faith alone, because nothing we do can add to what we are given.

As Eph2:8+9 says Faith is a gift from God.

We have faith alone, because nothing we do can add to what we are given.
The virtues are gifts all of them!

Faith can never be alone
1) cos there are three theological virtues faith hope and charity

2) 3 things are eternal and inseparable 1 cor 13:13

3) not faith alone

Mk 16:16 faith & baptism
Jn 3:5 water & the spirit
Jn 15:4 abide in Christ
acts 2:38-39 repentance & baptism
acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
acts 22:16 name of the Lord & baptism
rom 10:10 faith & confession
1 cor 13:2 faith & charity
1 cor 13:13 faith, hope, & charity
1 cor 16:22 love of Jesus Christ
Rom 8:17 faith and suffering
2 Timothy 2:12
1 thes 1:3 faith, love, patience / 2 thes 1:4 / 1 Tim 6:11 /
Col 1:24 sufferings
Philemon 1:5 love and faith
Phil 1:29 called to suffer not faith alone
Titus 2:2 faith, love, patience
James 2:24 faith & works
Heb 6:12 faith & patience / rev 13:10
Rev 2:19 works, charity, service, faith, patience
Rev 12:17 testimony of Jesus & commandments
Rev 2:19 & rev 13:10 & Rev 14:12 commandments & patience
Three things are eternal! 1 cor 13:13

Faith, Hope, & Charity!

Spiritual fathers impart spiritual life!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 eph 2

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13 and cannot be repeated

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Just some food for thought.

I think context is very important. The title "father" in one sense is a lineage through birth. My father begot me and his father begot him and so forth. But if we look at the text where it is found where Jesus said not to call anyone father, He was speaking about something a little different. He was addressing pride, arrogance, and self-righteousness telling His disciples not to call themselves "Rabbi" or "Teacher" or "Father" which are titles not come by birth. In the Catholic church when referring to a priest as father it has absolutely nothing to do with birth lineage or ancestry but is used as a term of position and importance and could be a source of pride, arrogance, self-centeredness, etc. The risk is potentially sinful on the part of the priest in the form of pride or self-righteousness or possibly on the part of others in placing the priest as a potential idol. I think it would be good to really consider what Jesus was saying.

Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’ But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Matthew 23:1-12 NKJV

Just my thoughts for what it's worth.
I couldn't agree more.

Back