Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is drinking caffeine a sin?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Decaf ,kinda like non alcohol .it still has it just not as much .

Tea has caffeine as well .
While there is still some caffeine, the process removes about 97% so the remaining caffeine is basically negligible.

It's technically a drug. If consuming drugs is a sin, then shouldn't Christians avoid caffeinated drinks and food? 🤔

Please share your thoughts.

God's given us all things richly to enjoy - within certain God-directed constraints.

We are not to be in bondage to anything save God, nor indulge in anything that is not "profitable" for spiritual well-being.

1 Corinthians 6:12
12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not profitable: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

We are to partake in food and drink (among other things) in a manner that glorifies God. This means not being gluttonous, or food-addicted, neither of which thing brings glory to God.

1 Corinthians 10:31
31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

We aren't to partake in anything, or partake of it in any way, that causes our brother to stumble spiritually.

Romans 14:13-17
13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.
14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.
16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil;
17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

It's technically a drug. If consuming drugs is a sin, then shouldn't Christians avoid caffeinated drinks and food? 🤔

Please share your thoughts.
My first question is who says it's a drug? Same with alcohol? Probably the medical establishment who defines things as such (even natural things). By that standard, even natural foods and bodily substances like a vitamin E can be a "drug" if the Dr. prescribes that for circulation. Or again, Prednisone for inflammation, or how about insulin? I think the bigger question is if it's natural and all things in moderation AND how it's used. The problem with medical reasoning is that x cures y so vitamin E will help with circulation whereas the body needs ALL the known vitamins, etc for it to work the best. So what I am saying is the philosophical usage of the substances. Natural, in moderation (i.e. not to harmful excess) and proper usage.

Now back to your question. I caffeine natural in foods? How about alcohol? Can we use those in moderation? can we use them properly? For example, those two things may need to be balanced out e.g. additional salt intake. Don't just use them "for a pick-me-up" without the other things. That's what a doctor would do because they philosophically use it like a drug. One other thing... those things are Kosher. There's no biblical mandate against them, and that's the most important.

Cardiologists don't seem to be agreed on this.
However, it's probably best to abstain.
It wasnt her heart but her general practitioner and gastro doctor .
She has had several scar tissue removed from acid build up . Meds also can and do cause acid build up.

I get the heart burn that wip mentions . I don't take meds that cause acid and are attributed to acid reflux that my wife takes .

I drink caffeine all day . It will hit me . My wife had one or two cups a day in the morning and or tea .

Coffee doesn't have phosphoric,citric acid that sodas and citrus juice ,ie lemon ,orange and grape juice have .

She has had several scar tissue removed from acid build up . Meds also can and do cause acid build up.

I get the heart burn that wip mentions . I don't take meds that cause acid and are attributed to acid reflux that my wife takes .

I drink caffeine all day . It will hit me . My wife had one or two cups a day in the morning and or tea .

Coffee doesn't have phosphoric,citric acid that sodas and citrus juice ,ie lemon ,orange and grape juice have .

Sorry Jason, I misunderstood.
Cardios here are saying that a cup of espresso a day is actually good.
I wish they'd make up their minds - this was not so some years ago.

My wife has your problem ,doctors told her no coffee or tea . Even decaf .
It is likely that it is not the caffein that is causing her heartburn issue. It is more likely the acids in the drink. This is why when you search for side effects of too much coffee, either caffeinated or decaffeinated, heartburn is commonly listed.

In my case, the caffein seems to be a source of my heartburn problem. It's like clockwork. If I drink regular coffee, I will experience heartburn within a couple hours so I always have to be ready with antacids, however, if I stay with decaffeinated, I don't experience that problem, even when I drink coffee all day long.

From healthline.com, here is a list of the most common acids found in coffee in order from highest to lowest concentration: chlorogenic, quinic, citric, acetic, lactic, malic, phosphoric, linoleic, and palmitic.

It is likely that it is not the caffein that is causing her heartburn issue. It is more likely the acids in the drink. This is why when you search for side effects of too much coffee, either caffeinated or decaffeinated, heartburn is commonly listed.

In my case, the caffein seems to be a source of my heartburn problem. It's like clockwork. If I drink regular coffee, I will experience heartburn within a couple hours so I always have to be ready with antacids, however, if I stay with decaffeinated, I don't experience that problem, even when I drink coffee all day long.

From healthline.com, here is a list of the most common acids found in coffee in order from highest to lowest concentration: chlorogenic, quinic, citric, acetic, lactic, malic, phosphoric, linoleic, and palmitic.
She doesn't have the les.but gerd.i was there when the doctor both times proved her upper GI .

He said anything acidic irc

The most consumed drug in the world would have to be sugar.
Caffeine and sugar , oh me 🏳️ .

6un180.jpg

Back