Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is it Possible for a True Christian to lose their Salvation.

I said "no kingdom", which, from the obvious context, meant no OTHER kingdom. And that still doesn't preclude those who don't inherit the kingdom of God from not entering His kingdom.

Remember, there are 3 parallel passages on the subject. 2 of them say "will not inherit the kingdom", and the 3rd one says "not have an inheritance IN the kingdom". Therefore, to "not inherit the kingdom" means to "not have an inheritance IN the kingdom".

So, obviously, one can be IN the kingdom yet not have an inheritance IN that kingdom.

You've not proven otherwise so far.

How does this verse support anything of what you've posted? I see no connection whatsoever.

Your predilection for quoting verses that don't support or say what you're claiming is noteworthy. But, is there any verse that does support your claims? I've not seen any yet.

Here it is again.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

Paul warns us that those who practice the works of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Jesus Himself defined what "inherit the kingdom" means.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: Matthew 25:31-34

Those on His right hand, did "inherit the kingdom of God".

Thus defining what inheriting the kingdom of God means.

Those who do not inherit the kingdom of God, will hear these words on the Day of judgement.

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Matthew 25:41

JLB

Last edited:
Colossians 1:13 KJV
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Some translations read:
Dominion of darkness

eddif

Do you understand what the phrase "will not inherit the kingdom of God" means?

Paul plainly warns these Galatians, as well as the Corinthians, and the Ephesians that they will not inherit the kingdom of God, if they practice the works of they flesh.

That means someone's "doctrine" will have to yield to Paul's doctrine.

JLB
I'm referring to true believers, not folk who practice the works of their flesh dear Brother.

Exactly, if your not in the kingdom of God then you are outside His kingdom.
But nowhere does the Bible say that Christians can exit His kingdom.

But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie. Revelation 22:15

And again

He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, Colossians 1:13
And...what's the point here?

The point of Scripture is clear: the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable (Rom 11:29) and eternal life is a gift of God (Rom 6:23).

Another point of Scripture is that Jesus Christ taught that those who believe HAVE eternal life (John 5:24) (which is irrevocable, meaning that God sure won't take it away), AND those He gives eternal life will never perish (John 10:28).

Here it is again.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

Paul warns us that those who practice the works of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Jesus Himself defined what "inherit the kingdom" means.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: Matthew 25:31-34

Those on His right hand, did "inherit the kingdom of God".

Thus defining what inheriting the kingdom of God means.

Those who do not inherit the kingdom of God, will hear these words on the Day of judgement.

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Matthew 25:41
JLB
I made my point. Nothing here refutes any of it.

Colossians 1:13 KJV
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Some translations read:
Dominion of darkness

eddif

How do you interpret "will not inherit the kingdom of God", based on what Jesus taught us from the Olivet Discourse?

JLB
I'm referring to true believers, not folk who practice the works of their flesh dear Brother.

So in your mind, Paul was writting to and encouraging people to walk in the Spirit, so that they would not fulfill the lust's of the flesh by practicing the works of the flesh, who were never saved to begin with?

How can someone who was never saved to begin with, walk in the Spirit?

The only way a person can avoid walking in the flesh is to walk in the Spirit.

It's an "either or" proposition.

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:16-21

At some point, if we are not going to handle the word of God deceitfully, while preferring or own pet doctrine over the word of God, we will have to come to the conclusion that the Holy Spirit through Paul is warning born again, Spirit filled Christians to walk in the Spirit, so as to avoid walking in and practicing the works of the flesh.

JLB

Last edited:
Smaller,
You're right, of course, about my using the word "mandatory" to cause a contradiction. In my second thought I should have used the word "necessary". Would that have been to your approval?

It's not enough anymore to state what we believe doctrinally? Now we have to become philosophers too? My reasoning power is not sufficient for you? I think my reasoning power is excellent. Or I would have been long gone - what with excellent posters such as Jim, Oz, Jethro, JLB.

I don't see any benefit to the understandings/positions of Oz, Jethro or JLB, when it essentially forces doubt of faith in Christ and commands (potential) condemnation to believers. No, no benefit whatsoever and NOT a critical component of the Gospel. There are other far more credible explanations for these same matters. Their positions on believers "losing" their salvation take a very wrong turn on understanding the subject matters.

The discussions usually range around "external sin" and the "works of the flesh." While I agree that "external expressions" of sin is not acceptable, the reality is that "works of the flesh" transpire WITHIN everyone, period. No one credibly escapes this fact.

Jesus is very clear that evil thoughts defile, and that "everyone" unavoidably has them.

Matt. 15:19-20, Mark 7:21-23 and Mark 5:28 are but a few of many such depictions of this "internal" reality of evil's defilement in THOUGHT form.

When a believer, defiled themselves in this way, RAILS on another, they are merely condemning themselves in the process, as a basic hypocrite. And in that any such merely serve to show their own slaveship to sin.

Jesus was clear about "how" this "evil" works, internally. Where the Word is sown, Satan comes to steal, to resist, to kill, to destroy, to blind. And all of this activity transpires FIRST, within.

Paul shows quite precisely, in himself, for himself, how this works as well, in Romans 7:7-13 for example, openly defining that where the Word of Law came to him, that sin, taking the opportunity of RESISTANCE to the law, forced him to have every manner of concupiscence within himself. No one is exempt from this LAW, this RULE of sin. And that law of sin is this: Where the Word is sown, SIN resists within us all.

Paul does a fantastic expose of these matters. But FEW will ever admit to this LAW, preferring to judge the sins of others and neglecting to reconnoiter their own internal evil defiling thoughts that is prompted by sin encountering Gods Words. Paul terms this the "law of sin." This understanding brought or FORCED Paul to understand his "wretched man" state in his own dead body, Romans 7:23, Romans 8:10. It also brought Paul to understand that God in Christ, by His Laws, by His Grace, does STAND and will continue to STAND in condemnation of indwelling sin and evil present IN ALL. Romans 8:3. There is no avoiding this conclusion for any believer. So to take this basis of understanding and use it to condemn another believer will never compute. Such would be better off by condemning themselves first. Then they might see the sin issues of another much better, seeing they are in essentially the IDENTICAL position.
Also, I've never before heard anyone accuse another Christian of using circular reasoning. Much of our reasoning is circular when we speak to each other. We use the book to prove the book. Something I don't do when speaking to atheists or even agnostics, at times.

I was precise in my observation. Your statement said nothing is mandatory, then said something was mandatory. And that is a statement of conflict without remedy.

Of course we have many "mandatory" understandings within Christianity. And yes, this does VARY from sect to sect. Just as the 7 churches of Revelation ALL had their separate issues to contend with. But one thing is certain. When we fall into condemnations of each others, we have lost our Spiritual insights.

There is a certain form of "heady power" that is dangled before the lustful for power eyes of believers who think, in their own minds, that they have the "sight" that they can condemn another believer to "eternal damnation." The fact is they don't have that power nor do they have what they "think" they see. I've seen many believers "fall" into the TRAP of condemnation. And it is a TRAP laid by our spiritual adversary.

1 Timothy 3:6
Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

And many a christian religious leader has fallen into this trap, and take a lot of believers along with them.

Having said all that, so you could employ your intelligence and just understand me next time around, I must say that I agree with your 3 points. I also have been to two of those churches, but have become familiar with the third.

I'll short story this entire matter by saying I eventually got sick of believers thinking other believers were (possibly) going to "eternal hell." Today I would consider this an expression of simple hypocrisy. Of a sinner/believer condemning another sinner/believer. It is a vile activity that transpires in many churches. All waiting to strike one another with their venom. It's like wading through a snake pit.
Personally, I don't exclude anyone from salvation or heaven. Any church that does will not receive my vote.

There is a place to apply judgments. It starts with "judging ourselves" and "our own sin" accurately. Do I exclude any from salvation? Of course. The devil and his messengers are NOT going to be saved, period. And when these characters show their faces in the church, such "pawns" of them need to be separated OUT and be called out.

However the infection at this point in time is probably beyond remedy. IF two major sects for example, have sat in condemnation of each others as heretics, for hundreds of years, and within those sects are "supposedly" some of the most intelligent people on the planet, it is MOST unlikely that any of these things can really be "remedied." Reality shows us that it won't be remedied. Divisions will continue to flourish. Hatred will continue to flourish. Condemnations will continue to flourish.

And at some point, a believer might realize that this IS what God Himself DEMANDS, so that we all would see our own quite sorry state of affairs, PERSONALLY.

I've stated here many times, which is why I did not pay a lot of attention to my wording, that it is JESUS who saves us NOT a doctrine.

And when Jesus Himself, DOES save, the first thing that happens is that all of these are gathered up and taught to divide and condemn, by our various sects and divisions.

Jesus warned us about this matter, here:

Matthew 23:15
Woe unto you
, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

I consider myself fortunate for a man of God in Christ to "call me on the carpet" over this matter a couple plus decades back. And I was forced to consider my own hypocrisy with matters of SIN, of JUDGMENTS and of CONDEMNATIONS.
It is NOT mandatory to condemn anyone else. Jesus said to let the first one with no sin throw the first stone.

Exactly.

But in the very next breath your positions and understandings will do otherwise.

It is the condemnation of sin in believers that has essentially fractured and divided ALL the churches and likewise all the members. So much so over the centuries that there are vast millions of believers that are taught today that they do not even know, for a surety that they are saved. Only that they might be.

Maybe it's a long shot? Maybe it is just a roll of the dice? Maybe just "a chance."

I don't think God in Christ is that random in His Abilities to save us all. IF we are mancentric in our positional understandings, hinging salvation on the "abilities" of man to save themselves, that's HOW this happens.

Yes, man will fail. We are not our own Savior. When we build salvation on potential failure, which is ASSURED failure, that's pretty much how we got to where we are today.

Last edited:
How do you interpret "will not inherit the kingdom of God", based on what Jesus taught us from the Olivet Discourse?

So in your mind, Paul was writting to and encouraging people to walk in the Spirit, so that they would not fulfill the lust's of the flesh by practicing the works of the flesh, who were never saved to begin with?

How can someone who was never saved to begin with, walk in the Spirit?

The only way a person can avoid walking in the flesh is to walk in the Spirit.

It's an "either or" proposition.

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:16-21

At some point, if we are not going to handle the word of God deceitfully, while preferring or own pet doctrine over the word of God, we will have to come to the conclusion that the Holy Spirit through Paul is warning born again, Spirit filled Christians to walk in the Spirit, so as to avoid walking in and practicing the works of the flesh.
JLB
A legitimate question is why ignore the parallel passage from Eph 5 that makes clear that those who engage in certain lifestyles will not inherit IN the kingdom??

It is clear that such people will be excluded from being IN the kingdom. It is that they won't have any inheritance IN the kingdom.

Why ignore that passage? It helps to understand the other 2 passages.

But nowhere does the Bible say that Christians can exit His kingdom.

Paul wrote these words to born again, Spirit filled Christians, teaching them the way to avoid fulfilling the lust's of the flesh, is to walk in the Spirit.

The Christian has the choice to walk in the Spirit, or not.

The way we are to have victory over the lustful desires of the flesh, is to walk according to the Spirit.

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:16-21

Those who [proudly] choose to disobey what the Spirit teaches us, and ignore these words of scripture inspired by the Spirit to encourage us, teach us, correct us, and instruct us in righteousness, will suffer needlessly, and end up walking according to the flesh, rather than walking according to the Spirit within us, Who "yearns jealously" for us.

• James says it this way:

4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.
James 4:4

Is an adulteress or adulterer someone who is married or unmarried?

JLB

The tree of life is part of special rewards in eternity for those who were faithful.
Not even remotely true. If you are not in the city where the river and tree of life are you are outside of the city in the lake of fire:

"14Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. 15Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying." (Revelation 22:14-15 NASB)

"8“But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”" (Revelation 21:8 NASB)

It's interesting how 'life' is now conveniently redefined as a reward in this passage to make it so eternal life can not be taken away:

"if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book." (Revelation 22:19 NASB)

I'm thinking that changing 'life' to mean rewards, and not eternal life, is up for consideration as taking away from the words of the Revelation prophecy. But we all ready know the severe Judgment for the one who causes a believer to change his mind and deny Christ as Messiah telling them they are still saved, and they do that thinking they are still safe, causing that person who believes in Jesus to stumble and go to the fiery hell and lose eternal life:

6but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

7“Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!

8“If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. 9If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell." (Matthew 18:6-9 NASB)

See, the stumbled person who believes in Jesus and who then stumbles goes to the lake of fire and loses eternal life. And Jesus said it's better for the person who causes a believer to stumble to be drowned in the sea with a millstone tied around his neck, and Paul said the person who destroys the temple will themselves will be destroyed for destroying the temple of God. On that basis alone it would be impossible for me to tell a believer in Jesus that they can deny him and they are still saved. As we can plainly see, eternal life really can be lost. And the person who causes that to happen to a believer will himself be destroyed. Pretty sobering truths on this Monday morning.

Last edited:
A legitimate question is why ignore the parallel passage from Eph 5 that makes clear that those who engage in certain lifestyles will not inherit IN the kingdom??

It is clear that such people will be excluded from being IN the kingdom. It is that they won't have any inheritance IN the kingdom.

Why ignore that passage? It helps to understand the other 2 passages.

I have ignored none of the scriptures that teach us, about those who will not inherit the kingdom of God, but have listed them on this Forum many times over the years.

If you have a scripture to present for discussion please post it.

Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; 4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.7 Therefore do not be partakers with them. 8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. Ephesians 5:1-13

JLB

Last edited:
I said this:
"But nowhere does the Bible say that Christians can exit His kingdom."
Paul wrote these words to born again, Spirit filled Christians, teaching them the way to avoid fulfilling the lust's of the flesh, is to walk in the Spirit.
And none of this changes or refutes what I said.

My point remains: The Bible does NOT say that Christians can end up in hell for any reason. And no one has shown otherwise from Scripture.

Of course. But how does that fact have any effect upon one's eternal destiny?

The way we are to have victory over the lustful desires of the flesh, is to walk according to the Spirit.

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:16-21
Right. They will have no inheritance in the kingdom, which is what Eph 5:5 says. They are saying the SAME THING. Ignoring Eph 5:5 doesn't help your position.

Those who [proudly] choose to disobey what the Spirit teaches us, and ignore these words of scripture inspired by the Spirit to encourage us, teach us, correct us, and instruct us in righteousness, will suffer needlessly, and end up walking according to the flesh, rather than walking according to the Spirit within us, Who "yearns jealously" for us.
And I agree with all of this. Not of which, btw, supports your contention that one can lose salvation.

James says it this way:
4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? 6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.
James 4:4
What I don't see in this passage is ANY mention or warning of loss of salvation.

Is an adulteress or adulterer someone who is married or unmarried?
JLB
I fail to see any relevance of your question to the issue of eternal security. So, until I understand how your question does relate, if it does, there is no reason to go off on a tangent and answer what is irrelevant to the discussion.

Not even remotely true. If you are not in the city where the river and tree of life are you are outside of the city in the lake of fire:
So, somehow, the lake of fire is just outside the city, which rests on the new earth? Really?? Where would one come up with that line of thought?

"14Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. 15Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying." (Revelation 22:14-15 NASB)
See? No mention at all that the lake of fire is just outside the gates of the New Jerusalem. There is no reason to assume that it is.

I would think it should be obvious to all serious students of the Word of God that the lake of fire isn't anywhere NEAR the new earth, much less near the New Jerusalem. That doesn't even make sense.

See, the stumbled person who believes in Jesus and who then stumbles goes to the lake of fire and loses eternal life.
It takes a tortuous twist to make the quoted verse say what you're claiming.

The point of Scripture is clear: the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable (Rom 11:29) and eternal life is a gift of God (Rom 6:23).

Another point of Scripture is that Jesus Christ taught that those who believe HAVE eternal life (John 5:24) (which is irrevocable, meaning that God sure won't take it away), AND those He gives eternal life will never perish (John 10:28).

I have ignored none of the scriptures that teach us, about those who will not inherit the kingdom of God, but have listed them on this Forum many times over the years.

If you have a scripture to present for discussion please post it.
The passage that has been ignored in all your posts is Eph 5:3-5
3 But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;
4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

This passage is parallel to the 2 other passages about lifestyle and inheritance in the kingdom. They are all saying the same thing; no inheritance in the kingdom.

You've not shown how this passage is unrelated to the other 2.

Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; 4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.7 Therefore do not be partakers with them. 8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. Ephesians 5:1-13JLB
Well, finally. Here it is. To paraphrase, "no one with specific lifestyles will have any inheritance IN the kingdom". There is nothing here about not getting into the kingdom, but not having any inheritance IN the kingdom.

No one has shown that Eph 5:5 says anything different than the parallel passages in 1 Cor 6 or Gal 5.

And none of this changes or refutes what I said.

My point remains: The Bible does NOT say that Christians can end up in hell for any reason. And no one has shown otherwise from Scripture.

Then your pet doctrine is in direct conflict with Paul and Jesus.

The Christian
has the choice to walk in the Spirit, or not.

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:16-21

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Paul plainly says those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

The only question is: what does "will not inherit the kingdom of God" actually refer to?

If a person does not inherit the kingdom of God, then whose kingdom do they inherit?

JLB said:

• Those Christians who are led by the sinful desires of the flesh to practice it's works will not inherit the kingdom of God.
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Those Christians who walk according to the Spirit, who practice righteousness, are those who are righteous Children of God, rather than stubborn disobedient children of God who refuse to change and will be partakers of God's wrath on the Day of Judgement.

3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; 4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.
Ephesians 5:3-7

Paul warns all the Churches over and over, of these things, so that these Christians will learn to present themselves as slaves to God, and their members as instruments of righteousness.

Therefore do not be a partaker of God's wrath WITH THEM!

Why would Paul warn these Churches not to be a partaker of God's wrath with them, if it wasn't possible?

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them. Ephesians 5:6-7

JLB

The passage that has been ignored in all your posts is Eph 5:3-5
3 But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;
4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Inheritance - Strong's G2817 - klēronomia

1. an inheritance, property received (or to be received) by inheritance
  2. what is given to one as a possession
    1. the eternal blessedness of the consummated kingdom of God which is to be expected after the visible return of Christ

2. the share which an individual will have in that eternal blessedness

Yes, these Christians who practice these things will have no part, no inheritance, in God's Kingdom.

Don't forget verse 6 and 7.

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them. Ephesians 5:6-7

JLB

This is getting a little rougher than I really like.

Our name is written in the lambs book of life when we belive eternal life comes from the work of Christ's shed blood.

The forces / trials described in the Olivet Discourse will drive some to fall away and remove their names from the lambs book of life.

In belief you are saved (in the book).
Crucify Christ again you are out of the book).

No matter what people say about their relationship with Christ Jesus; the judgement will reveal the truth. (Olivet discourse)

The New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven IMHO is not heaven but the kingdom in us.(the final age we now seek to support).

The kingdom of God is where the Father God and the Son are (where we will spend eternity after judgement).

Romans 7:25 shows the flesh and mind.

All the world can not contain the subject of Christ's work.

The Mississippi redneck jerk
eddif

In belief you are saved (in the book).
Crucify Christ again you are out of the book).

I agree.

This is getting a little rougher than I really like.

I also agree that these discussion's are rough, but at some point Christians must be able to eat "meat" and not just milk only.

I am someone who has been rescued by The Lord Jesus Christ from a back-sliden lifestyle, more than once, not really knowing what the bible said about these things.

Once I began to study the words and meanings, of the language used by Jesus and the Apostles, I realized I had no excuse for the carnal, on again, off again lifestyle as well as the careless immature approach to God's word.

As a new Christian, and later young Christian, I knew about how much God loved me and His grace covered me, just like any baby and toddler would experience.

Later as a "teenager Christian", knowing just enough to be dangerous, I found myself on the receiving end of some bitter correction from the Lord.

Like the story of the Shepherd who must deal harshly with the ever wandering sheep, and ends up breaking the sheep's leg, and then carrying the sheep until his leg heals, is a good description of the Lord "breaking me" from wandering.

He loves us more than we could ever know. His mercy is never ending, and His grace is truly amazing.

However, He is just and righteous, and holy as well.

His word is true, and can not be redefined, or deceitfully tampered with, as if that would somehow make His word change to suit our own belief's, or doctrine, or traditions.

3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; 4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. Ephesians 5:3-13

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them.

Paul warns us not to be a partaker of God's wrath, with them.

JLB

I am someone who has been rescued by The Lord Jesus Christ from a back-sliden lifestyle, more than once, not really knowing what the bible said about these things.

I know more than a few believers, who because of their previously unsaved vile and despicable state of affairs in their life, or their back slidden state and a recover again, post salvation, really do need to keep the fear of hell, ever before their faces, to keep that darkness working in them, that controlled them prior, under control.

But when they turn that tool into a beating instrument unto other believers, they have done them ALL a disservice.

I don't believe your understanding is "critical understanding." It is not a requirement to believe that God will (potentially) damn a believer to hell in order for them to be saved.

If on the other hand you personally need that threat hung between your own eyes to keep your flesh in line, so be it. Not everyone sees it that way, NOR do they have to.

Do you think one must believe they can be ETERNALLY lost after salvation in order to be saved?

That is my question to you. How critical do you want to make this perpetual banter? Understand that IF you say this is NOT a critical component of salvation, then it is pointless to rattle on about it.

IF you say that one must DOUBT their faith in Christ in order to be saved, again, a pointless debate. Faith does not subsist in doubt. Doubt is the antithesis of faith. I would consider DOUBT to be a curse from God, not a blessing.

Some of us understand that we never had any faith in ourselves to start with. Nor are we our own Saviors. Nor are some interested whatsoever in "self" justifications.

The entirety of the loss of salvation crowd's postures revolve around MAN'S PERFORMANCES. Don't any of you understand that ALL MANKIND FAILED and therefore is in NEED of our Savior, OF His Grace and Mercy expressed in Christ?

The scriptural determinations of MAN'S FAILURE doesn't change after salvation. Faith in Christ never made a single believer sinless after salvation. Never once has this happened. Not even for a nanosecond has this ever happened.

The very best any of us hope for in this present life is to keep the "evil present" with us from over running and over ruling us. But it is there, regardless. Romans 7:21.

No believer should stand before God in Christ, trying to justify or excuse or cover up the "evil present" with them because IT CAN'T BE DONE. It is impossible to justify evil present just as it is equally impossible to remove this fact from our present construction.

I only wonder sometimes how far some people will go to try to make a fool out of God.

Last edited:
So, somehow, the lake of fire is just outside the city, which rests on the new earth? Really?? Where would one come up with that line of thought?

See? No mention at all that the lake of fire is just outside the gates of the New Jerusalem. There is no reason to assume that it is.

I would think it should be obvious to all serious students of the Word of God that the lake of fire isn't anywhere NEAR the new earth, much less near the New Jerusalem. That doesn't even make sense.

It takes a tortuous twist to make the quoted verse say what you're claiming.

You're clinging to a very weak argument. The point is, if you are not in the City of God you are outside of it. And those outside of it are in the Lake of Fire, not simply being refused the optional reward of having access to the tree of life. There is no need to define the distance between the two. The fact is if you are not in the City and away from the tree of life and the river of life within that city you are, instead, outside of the city.

Here's the argument again. Let's see if you can refute it. Read it again:

Here we have a plain statement that God himself will take away a person's part in the tree of life and the holy city--the very thing you say is impossible:
"...if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book." (Revelation 22:19 NASB bold and underline mine)

Your argument is the the tree of life and the holy city are not eternal life, but the optional rewards that a saved person may or may not have. But we know it is in fact eternal life that he is talking about because John says those who are outside of city and away from the river and tree of life are sorcerers, immoral people, murderers, idolaters, etc:
"14Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. 15Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying." (Revelation 22:14-15 NASB bold and underline mine)

And John explains very clearly that the fate of these sorcerers, murderers, etc., outside of the city of God are, or will be in the Lake of Fire:

"8“But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”" (Revelation 21:8 NASB bold and underline mine)

But you say they are outside of the city and away from the river and tree of life because those things are only rewards and not eternal life and are still saved and have eternal life. How is that possible if it is the Lake of Fire these people are in outside of the city? Obviously, it's not possible. A person will lose their part of the "tree of life and from the holy city" (Revelation 22:19 NASB) if they take away from the prophecy of Revelation. And we know the tree and river of life is talking about eternal life, not just rewards, because those who aren't in the city are in the Lake of Fire. They are not just merely saved people who have no reward in heaven as you claim. They are damned. Their part of the tree of life (eternal life) was taken away from them. But you say that is impossible for that happen. The Bible says otherwise.

And remember, to change Revelation to something different so it doesn't say that is, IMO, the equivalent of taking away and/or adding to Revelation--the very thing that will cause a person to have their part in eternal life taken away. Jesus spoke similarily about the person who causes "one who believes in me" to stumble and to go to the fiery hell:

"6but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.
8“If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. 9“If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell." (Matthew 18:6,8-9 NASB bold and underline mine)

If one who believes in Jesus Christ can never lose his salvation, why does Christ refer to the person who stumbles doing so as to be cast into the fiery hell? And again, there is a very, very harsh Judgment awaiting the person who causes the stumbling. To tell believers that they can deny Christ and become unbelievers is in fact the very offense that will cause one to have their part in eternal life taken away and be punished worse than being thrown into the sea with a millstone around his neck and drowned. Pretty ironic.

As harsh as these Biblical words are, I'm also convinced, GOD WILL IMMEDIATELY PARDON THE PERSON WHO HAS BEEN DOING THIS MISLEADING OF PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN HIM INTO THE FIERY HELL. The question is, will these people have the humility to acknowledge what the scriptures above plainly say and repent of this stumbling and destroying of believers? God's forgiveness for doing so is not is what is in question here. Whether or not people will repent of telling believers they are still saved and have eternal life if they deny Christ is what remains in question.

Last edited:
Back