Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Jehovah's Witness a Christian belief?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
jasoncran said:
in short, carpethian, jesus is an archangel,ie micheal, not the Son of God that we know,
Ummm, let's kind of use some clarity here. In short JW's and Mormon's alike believe Jesus Christ is a "created" being. How either arrives at this view is inconsequential frankly. Scripture tells us that as long as there has been a Heavenly Father the Son has always been with Him.

Note: Jesus has appeared at times "as an angel" but that is not to say that Jesus "is" an angel.

Who is Michael the Archangel?

they ,the jw's call him that, but where in the bible is micheal the archangel worshipped like christ was.
That's right. Everywhere in the Bible where a man bowed to an angel the angel told man to stand-up I am a servant just like you.

Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See [thou do it] not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

In every instance where an angel accepted worship in the Bible that is a picture of Jesus Christ appearing "as" an angel.

Sorry to side track the issue but we must keep things in perspective: JW's and Mormon's believe Jesus was "created."

Hey, just had two JW's ring the door bell about an hour ago. I invited them in and we had an impromptu Bible study regarding the Three Angel Messages. We spent about forty minutes together. I love having the JW's knock on my door!

Ok, I have skimmed over the JW chapter in a book I"m reading and I'm going to quote a summarisation given in the book of the JW belief system.

Now this book acknowledges that JW is a blended belief - i.e. it does "borrow" stuff from Christianity, but it has a lot of differences. By looking at the core beliefs below, you will see that they are not Christian.

World Religions & Cults 101
Bickel, Bruce and Jantz, Stan
Harvest House Publishers

Chapter 5: Jehovah's Wittnesses - a view from the watchover

Text taken from page 119

God: His personal name is Jehovah. He alone is God. There is no Trinity (which is a lie originated by Satan). There is a Holy Spirit, but it is just another name for God's active force.
Humanity: Humans are God's creation. Those who are faithful Jehovah's Wittnesses have an eternal spirit. Non-wittnesses have not eternal nature after death (you just return to non-existance).
Sin: Sin is falling short of God's perfection. Adam and Eve sinned, all humans inherit sin from them.
Salvation and the Afterlife: Adam deliberately forfieted the perfect life he was originally given. This was offset by Christ forfieting His own perfect life. Christ's death didn't pay the penalty for sin, but it brought back the possbility for perfection in the human life. The 144,000 faithful followers of Jehovah will be rewarded with heaven; the rest of the faithfull wittnesses will have everlasting life on a peaceful earth.
Morals: There is little subjectivity in this regard. Morality is for the most part defined by the prohbitions and requirements set forth in specific teachings.
Worship: The worship takes form of the adherence to certain requirements, particularly door-to-door evangelistic efforts. Reverence and alliegence to Jehovah prohibits participation in birthday parties and similar celebrations, displays of patriotism and military service.
Jesus: He was God's first creation. His prehuman existance was as Michael the archangel. He was born of the virgin Mary. He died on a stake (not a cross) and was raised as an immortal spirit by God.

Jehovah's Wittnesses are not Christians.

I rest my case.

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Born Again Christians?

The real question should be, "Are Jehovah's Witnesses Born Again Christians?"

seekandlisten said:
toddm said:
rEVOLVEr said:
Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the Trinity, in Jesus Christ and they study the Bible a lot. However, I've read on this forum that they are not considered to be Christians.
What makes them apart?
JW's do not believe in the Trinity. They believe that Jesus was a lesser "god", not co-eternal and co-equal w/ the Father. JW's are not Christian.

A belief in the trinity doesn't make one a 'christian'. A 'protestant' or 'catholic' sure but not a 'christian.' JW's could be called christians just like any other religion that believes in Christ.

A definition of 'christian':

- relating to or characteristic of Christianity; "Christian rites"
- a religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination
- following the teachings or manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ

So unless we are under the impression that only catholics, eastern orthodox, and protestants are the only one's that can be 'christians' I would say anyone who falls under the definition above would be considered a 'christian'.

jasoncran said:
jehovah's witness's in all their literature dont accept the concept of salvation as we know it.
Exactly. And they don't believe in the Trinity and they believe that that Jesus' death on the cross (they think it's a stake) didn't pay the penalty for our sins.

it's hard for me to inquire without offense to those that are in the jehovah's witnessl, i tried it and i had to try really hard to keep from arguiing.

Carpathian said:
Ok, so it's decided that they're not a christian faith, but is based on the Christian relationship.
I'd be willing to agree to that. JW, like Mormonism is considered a "blended" faith, i.e. it has "borrowed" ideas from Christianity. There are grey areas between these three beliefs, but there is also a line in the sand. Yes, they do have things in common with Christianity, but they are too different to be considered part of the Christian faith.

Nick_29 said:
Carpathian said:
Ok, so it's decided that they're not a christian faith, but is based on the Christian relationship.
I'd be willing to agree to that. JW, like Mormonism is considered a "blended" faith, i.e. it has "borrowed" ideas from Christianity. There are grey areas between these three beliefs, but there is also a line in the sand. Yes, they do have things in common with Christianity, but they are too different to be considered part of the Christian faith.
If they don't believe in the resurrection and divinity of Christ, nor his promise and claims that he is indeed Jesus Christ the son of God, then they are of no christians I know of.

Carpathian said:
Nick_29 said:
Carpathian said:
If they don't believe in the resurrection and divinity of Christ, nor his promise and claims that he is indeed Jesus Christ the son of God, then they are of no christians I know of.
that's my point.

Correct Teaching of Salvation ....

jasoncran said:
jehovah's witness's in all their literature dont accept the concept of salvation as we know it.

Yes, and Salvation is the most important teaching of all. When the correct doctrine of Salvation is perverted, that is where you have to draw the line, which separates the cults from true Christianity.

if they arent born agian christians, they cant be of a christian believe.
using your thought then all christians are judiasts.

jasoncran said:
your siggy is only scriture,grace, and faith? and all for the glory of god? correct?
You were very close: Scripture alone, grace alone, faith alone, Christ alone, to God alone be the glory. :yes Also, known as the 5 Solas made popular by the Reformation. Good stuff right there. I would guess that he's a devout Presbyterian?

seekandlisten said:
Do you have the power to change one's heart? So there is nothing you can do 'physically' that is going to 'save' someone.
No, nothing I can do, but God's Spirit working through me. :yes
You can share your beliefs, but I would try being a little more friendly rather than referring to them as a 'cult' otherwise they probably won't pay much attention to you.
I am friendly. Don't confuse straight-forwardness w/ rudeness. I call a "spade" a "spade".
Jesus never taught to point out everyone's faults. 'Remove the plank first', mind you this point is usually missed seeing as you can never 'remove the plank' from your own eye as we are all sinners therefore we don't have the right to judge.
That passage in Matthew 7 has nothing to do w/ dialoging over beliefs - it's about not judging someone for their sin when you have the same, or worse, sin active in your life. How is the Gospel presented if people aren't told about sin? That's pointing out people's faults. Now, I wouldn't be so brash to say, "hey, you're an alcoholic and going to hell" but the Gospel can't be presented w/o talking about sin.

Anyways, I'm not going to defend JW's or Mormons beliefs as I don't believe in either. I will not however degrade their beliefs as nothing good will come from it especially in a thread that is not about beliefs.
How is this thread not about beliefs? It's the very fiber of the thread (no pun intended). It's ALL about beliefs! :confused

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Born Again Christians?

rEVOLVEr said:
vja4Him said:
The real question should be, "Are Jehovah's Witnesses Born Again Christians?"

Sorry, that's not the question
Sorry, but that's absolutely the quesiton. You cannot be a Christian and not be a born-again Christian - they are one and the same. And you can't be a Christian belief unless you are a bonr-again Christian. I and many others have clearly pointed out how the JW belief is simply not Christian.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back