Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Salvation really a "free Gift" of God?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Can I ask you two questions please Fredy?
1) In the Parable of the Good Samaritan, what metric did Jesus use to save the part Jew , part Pagan idol worshipping Samaritan? And not only does He lift Him like a beacon for us but also alluded Himself to the Samaritan . So HOW was the Good Samaritan saved?
The parable explains what an example of "a good neighbor" is. But he, wishing to justify and vindicate himself, asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” There is nothing in this story that explicitly states that the answer Christ gave was what one must do to be saved. (Aside: you make this a story about salvation to fit your understanding. I grant the previous to these verses is: 25 And a certain lawyer [an expert in Mosaic Law] stood up to test Him, saying, “Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? ... and Christ answers: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” Loving God and man perfectly (works) is not possible unless you can stop sinning. Even if you could stop sinning, you have the problem of previous sins. So, basically Christ is saying, "Do the impossible and you will have eternal life". Thus, one must find the answer to "what must do to inherit eternal life" elsewhere in the Bible as METHOD #1 (WORKS) sucks!

Re: Matthew 7: 24-27 ... I agree, obeying God is a good foundation. If you were never born in sin and never sinned during you lifetime then I agree, you have earned eternal life. You don't need Christ to save you, you have saved yourself. Congrats.

Aside: The main issue here IMO is you do not accept the entire Bible as Scripture.

Why don't you give me a straight answer for Christ's sake! ( pun intended ?)
WHAT. METRIC. WILL. JESUS. USE.ON.THE.LAST. DAY. TO SAVE. OR. CONDEMN?
Pls no digression. because in (through) this vision of judgment day scene Christ exposed all the fallacy and and falsehood and deception of the Solafide Doctrine.
I can help you with the answer Bright ?.
Faith ( alone) was NOT used
You seem to imply that you have more concern about the words of Jesus and what He taught than the Apostles He personally sent out to Preach about Him and what He taught.

You have a gaping hole in your theology. ALL of the Bible is inspired by God. You CANNOT disregard parts because they were not the direct words of Christ. Where do you think the words of Christ came from when the writer was inspired to write scripture ... it was from God; God inspires all scripture. It is not like God inspires someone to write what Christ said and then God inspires Paul to write something that lacks the same authority. I doubt you can find ANYONE that agrees with you.
2 Peter 1:20 But understand this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of or comes from one’s own [personal or special] interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Christ do not Dwarf Himself. All scripture is written by God.

This I am not doing. I am saying God does not contradict Himself and that the entire Bible is God's words. From this truth one knows that if one section of scripture seems to contradict another portion of scripture you must conclude your interpretation of one or both sections you are comparing is INCORRECT.
Thus I can say that the statements in scripture saying one is not saved by WORKS must be explained by you when you say people are saved by works.

Consider
Paul’s insistence (1) that there is only one gospel—justification by faith alone in Christ’s work alone (Romans 3:27, Romans 3:28; Romans 4:5; Romans 10:4; Galatians 2:16a, Galatians 2:16b; Galatians 3:10, Galatians 3:11, Galatians 3:26; Philippians 3:8a, Philippians 3:8b), (2) that any other “gospel” is not the gospel, (3) that those who teach any other “gospel” stand under the anathema of God (Galatians 1:8, Galatians 1:9), and (4) that those who rely to any degree on their own works for their salvation nullify the grace of God (Romans 11:5–6), make void the cross work of Christ (Galatians 2:21; Galatians 5:2), become debtors to keep the entire law (Galatians 5:3), and in becoming such “fall from grace” (Galatians 5:4), that is, place themselves again under the curse of the law. As for the four church fathers named above—and many others like them—it is neither my nor their defenders’ place to assure the Christian world that surely God justified them by faith alone even though they themselves did not hold to a sola fide view of justification. To judge an individual’s salvation is God’s province and His alone. Therefore, I will not speculate one way or the other about their salvation. But I will say that our attitude should, with Paul, ever be: “Let God’s truth be inviolate, though every man becomes thereby a liar” (Romans 3:4). What I mean by this in the present context is that the clear teaching of the Word of God should be upheld and we should not look for reasons to avoid it, even if the alternative would force us to conclude that these fathers—and all others like them—were not saved. Robert Reymond A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith
How
The parable explains what an example of "a good neighbor" is. But he, wishing to justify and vindicate himself, asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” There is nothing in this story that explicitly states that the answer Christ gave was what one must do to be saved. (Aside: you make this a story about salvation to fit your understanding. I grant the previous to these verses is: 25 And a certain lawyer [an expert in Mosaic Law] stood up to test Him, saying, “Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? ... and Christ answers: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” Loving God and man perfectly (works) is not possible unless you can stop sinning. Even if you could stop sinning, you have the problem of previous sins. So, basically Christ is saying, "Do the impossible and you will have eternal life". Thus, one must find the answer to "what must do to inherit eternal life" elsewhere in the Bible as METHOD #1 (WORKS) sucks!

Re: Matthew 7: 24-27 ... I agree, obeying God is a good foundation. If you were never born in sin and never sinned during you lifetime then I agree, you have earned eternal life. You don't need Christ to save you, you have saved yourself. Congrats.

Aside: The main issue here IMO is you do not accept the entire

You seem to imply that you have more concern about the words of Jesus and what He taught than the Apostles He personally sent out to Preach about Him and what He taught.
You win brother Fedy, I lose. Place Apostles or whoever words before Christ. It's a chouce we are making. To me, it's always Jesus first. But that being said I wish to say no more. I concede brother. You've won a most handsome victory here :) Congratulations. I'm Not even being sarcastic, Fredy. You argued very well, stated hundreds of paul scriptures. I concede. God bless you /\ I wish to say no more on this :)

You win brother Bright. I concede :) God bless you. May the Lord bless us all with His love and wisdom /\

I don't understand how any of these Scriptures contradict what Paul teaches.
Soli Deo gloria is also part of the teachings from the reformation.
It is by grace you are saved through faith....
What's the problem?
Jesus said many times "You're faith has saved you.
No arguments brother Rollo. I wish not to say any more on this subject. Thank you for taking the time out to respond? . God bless you and everybody /\

Aside: The main issue here IMO is you do not accept the entire Bible as Scriptur
Dear Fredy , Rollo , Bright
Last night I was laying on my bed thinking about what you guys said -- and you pointed at lot of verses , mostly of Apostle Paul which clearly state that a Christian is saved by Faith alone, not by works, lest they think they can make it to heaven by works. While Jesus pointed at acts of loving compassion in Judgment day vision in Matthew 25:31-46)
Like I said good argument leads to better insight , even though not one of you told me what metric had Jesus used on the last day to save/ condemn (Matthew 2:31-46).

But i do believe good and respectful debates lead to better understanding. So i was glad we did debate on that.
What occurred to me last night though is if we are to accept FAITH as the sole criterion for being saved, then we do not have to observe / Keep any of the commandment father God ordered or the Son commanded . we have yet been saved.
Since the commandments of God are well known and documented, I started thinking about what did Jesus teach. What were His commandments and His major teachings which I furnish here under for your ready reference? While doing that exercise it also occurred to me that if I am saved by faith alone, I have to keep/ obey/ observe NONE of these to be saved. Right?
Because I am already saved. Whether I keep them or not is not concerned with my salvation.

Summarizing the question I wish to ask :
Can I be saved even if I do not/ am not able to keep even ONE of the Commandments of father God or the Son , or Lord Jesus?

If answer is No, the question is HOW MANY and WHICH of these commandments do I have to keep to be saved? Some are very concerning like Jesus’ warning in Matthew 7:21 and Mark 3:35 that no one can be saved unless we DO the will of God.

If the answer is Yes ware still saved, on what verses are we relying on to make that assumption ?

I look forward to information and edification /\

Hereunder I have attempted to put together gather God’s Commandments and Lord Jesus’ commandments/teachings so we can view them together. My apologies if I missed some
( My question is in TWO PARTS due to numbers of words restriction. Plaese make usre to read the other part as well... thank you )

Commandments of Father God and Commandments/ teachings of Christ

Ten Commandments

• You shall have no other gods before Me.
  • You shall make no idols.
  • You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
  • Keep the Sabbath day holy.
  • Honor your father and your mother.
  • You shall not murder.
  • You shall not commit adultery.
  • You shall not steal.
  • You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  • You shall not covet.
But even if we do not keep any of these commandments we are still saved encase we believe. Right?

Commandments and teachings of Christ

Jesus said, “If you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15).

Deny your flesh and Follow Me—else your not worthy of me ( Matthew 10:38)

Let Your Light Shine

• “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16)

Honor God’s Law

“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill” (Matthew 5:17).

Do the Will of God if you wish to be saved ( Matthew 7:21 , Matthew 10:35)

Be Reconciled

“Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath aught against thee; leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift” (Matthew 5:23–25).

Do Not Lust

“But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell” (Matthew 5:28–30).

Keep Your Word

“Let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil” (Matthew 5:37).

Go the Second Mile

“Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away” (Matthew 5:38–42).

Love Your Enemies

• “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? Do not even the publicans the same?” (Matthew 5:44–46).
Be Perfect for your Father in Heaven is Perfect

“If ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:46–48).

Lay Up Treasures

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also” (Matthew 6:19–21).

Judge Not

“Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?” (Matthew 7:1–3).

Ask, Seek, Knock

“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: for every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened” (Matthew 7:7–8).

Do Unto Others

“Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets” (Matthew 7:12).

Take My Yoke upon you

“Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28–30).

Honor Your Parents

“For God commanded, saying, Honor thy father and mother: and, he that curseth father or mother, let him die the death” (Matthew 15:4).

Deny Yourself

“If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?” (Luke 9:23–25).

Despise Not Little Ones

“Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 18:10).

--------------------CONTINUED IN PART TWO HERE BELOW -----------------

Continued from previous post

Go to Offenders
  • “Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican” (Matthew 18:15–17).
Beware of Covetousness

“And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth” (Luke 12:15).

Forgive Offenders ( and enemies)

“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven” (Matthew 18:21–22).

Honor Marriage

“And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder” (Matthew 19:4–6).

Be a Servant

“. . . Whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; and whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:26–28).

Bring In the Poor

“Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbors; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompense be made thee. But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: and thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just” (Luke 14:12–14).

Render to Caesar

“Show me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto him, Caesar’s. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s” (Matthew 22:19–21).

Love the Lord

“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment” (Matthew 22:37–38).

Love Your Neighbor

“And the second [commandment] is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets” (Matthew 22:39–40).

Be Born Again - Jesus says

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again” (John 3:5–7).

• If ye love me, keep my commandments” ().
Make Disciples of all nations and teach them to observe EVERYTHING I commanded —the high commission of the Lord (Matthew 28:19–20)

And we don’t have to keep all commandments as Jesus commands in Matthew 28:20

Can I be saved even if I do not/ am not able to keep even ONE of the Commandments of father God or the Son , or Lord Jesus?
If the answer is YES -- what is the basis of that assumption?
If the answer is No, the question is HOW MANY and WHICH of these commandments do I have to keep to be saved? Some are very concerning like Jesus’ warning in Matthew 7:21 and Mark 3:35 that no one can be saved unless we DO the will of God.

Submitted respectfully. Will appreciate Bible based responses rather than accusations, individual views and judgment. Thank you/\

Last edited:

Go to Offenders
  • “Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican” (Matthew 18:15–17).
Beware of Covetousness

“And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth” (Luke 12:15).

“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven” (Matthew 18:21–22).

Honor Marriage

“And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder” (Matthew 19:4–6).

Be a Servant

“. . . Whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; and whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:26–28).

Bring In the Poor

“Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbors; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompense be made thee. But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: and thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just” (Luke 14:12–14).

Render to Caesar

“Show me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto him, Caesar’s. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s” (Matthew 22:19–21).

Love the Lord

“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment” (Matthew 22:37–38).

Love Your Neighbor

“And the second [commandment] is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets” (Matthew 22:39–40).

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again” (John 3:5–7).

Make Disciples of all nations and teach them to observe EVERYTHING I commanded —the high commission of the Lord (Matthew 28:19–20)

If the answer is No, the question is HOW MANY and WHICH of these commandments do I have to keep to be saved? Some are very concerning like Jesus’ warning in Matthew 7:21 and Mark 3:35 that no one can be saved unless we DO the will of God.

Submitted respectfully. Will appreciate Bible based responses rather than accusations, individual views and judgment. Thank you/\
I believe you are insinuating salvation by works friend, thats not biblical, Salvation is by grace apart from works Eph 2:8-9

Go to Offenders
Beware of Covetousness

Honor Marriage

Be a Servant

Bring In the Poor

Render to Caesar

Love the Lord

Love Your Neighbor

I think you mix some things up.

John 6:47; "I tell you the truth, he who believes has ever lasting life."

James 2:14-18; "What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds."

Those who have ever lasting life have a faith with deeds.

Like I said good argument leads to better insight , even though not one of you told me what metric had Jesus used on the last day to save/ condemn (Matthew 2:31-46).
Well, there was so much to ponder that I didn't want to go down this tangent. I will try to make is brief. I call it the greatest deal/trade ever made. Christ gets our sin and we get Christ's righteousness. Now the technical terms are called the "imputation of sin to Christ" and the "imputation of Christ's righteousness" to us. Together they form the common term in the N.T. which is to be "IN CHRIST".
In Christ is "The results of this union with Christ are the imputation of our sins to him and of his righteousness to us." Henry Thiessen
“In Christ” may describe a Christian better than any other phrase. Also phrased as “in him”, “in the beloved”, “by him”, “through him” and “with him”. It appears 130 times in the New Testament. There is no hint of this relationship in the “law” or of “the kingdom” or in prophesy. It was a secret hidden in the heart and mind of God.

Union in Christ is a positional, permanent spiritual bond between the believer and Jesus Christ that results from Spirit baptism. The union with Christ is a federal union (All who die, die in Adam; and all who live, live in Christ) and representative union (1 Corinthians 15:19-49; Romans 5:12-21). To be in Christ is to partake of all that Christ has done, all that He is, and all that He will ever be. Union in Christ includes union with His death, burial, and resurrection in a judicial sense. Union with Christ is Paul’s explanation for the safe position of a believer from any liability for the guilt of his sin: Romans 8:1 Therefore, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus. It is impossible that any should be “in Christ” and not partake of what Christ is, He is the righteousness of God. And Christ being the righteousness of God, we, being thus utterly and vitally in Christ before God, have no other place but in Him. We are “the righteousness of God in Christ.” Therefore, God confers on us his gifts, and shows favor to the image of his Son which He recognizes in us.

I could go on. So, getting back to Matthew 25:31-46 ... When God assesses you are a judgement He will see that you are IN CHRIST. He will see your sins imputed to Christ and He will see Christ's righteousness imputed to you. The upper room discourse discusses thus. Christ speaks of Him being in us and us being in Him ... of Christ being in the Father and the Father being in us. Other places speak of Spirit being in us and us in the Spirit.

Following are verses showing Christ righteousness imputed to us:
  • John 14:20 Ye in me [by the baptism of the Spirit], and I in you [by the Spirit’s regeneration] The righteousness imputed to the believer on the sole condition that he has believed on Christ as his Savior.
  • John 16:8 And when he [Holy Spirit] comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me [one sin only]; 10 concerning righteousness[righteousness through believing which is counter intuitive to man], because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged [it is finished – Christ’s death – Colossians 2:13-15)].
  • Romans 1:17 For in it the righteousness of [from] God is revealed from faith [rather than works] for [those who have] faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”
  • Romans 3:10 None is righteous, no, not one; [thus man must have righteousness imputed]
  • Romans 3:22 the righteousness of [from] God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction … 24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 whom God displayed publicly [before the eyes of the world] as a [life-giving] sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation (propitiation) by His blood [to be received] through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness [which demands punishment for sin], because in His forbearance [His deliberate restraint] He passed over the sins previously committed [before Jesus’ crucifixion].
  • Romans 4:5 But to one who, not working [by the Law], trusts (believes fully) in Him Who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited to him as righteousness (the standing acceptable to God).
  • Romans 5:17 For if by the trespass of the one (Adam), death reigned through the one (Adam), much more surely will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in [eternal] life through the One, Jesus Christ. 18 So then as through one trespass [Adam’s sin] there resulted condemnation for all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. 19 For just as through one man’s disobedience [his failure to hear, his carelessness] the many were made sinners, so through the obedience of the one Man the many will be made righteous and acceptable to God and brought into right standing with Him.
  • Romans 10:3 For, being ignorant of the righteousness of [from] God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
  • 1 Corinthians 1:30 But it is from Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God [revealing His plan of salvation], and righteousness [making us acceptable to God], and sanctification [making us holy and setting us apart for God], and redemption [providing our ransom from the penalty for sin], [believers are in Christ and Christ qualities are therefore imputed to us]

• 2 Corinthians 5:21 He made Christ who knew no sin to [judicially] be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we would become the righteousness of God [that is, we would be made acceptable to Him and placed in a right relationship with Him by His gracious lovingkindness].
  • Ephesians 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
  • Ephesians 4:24 And put on the new nature (the regenerate self) created in God’s image, [Godlike] in true righteousness and holiness.
  • Philippians 3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—
  • Colossians 1:12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you [by making you righteous through faith] to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.
  • Hebrews 9:14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. [Thus the imputation of righteousness has legal standing]
Told you it wouldn't be a short answer. :)
see https://www.gotquestions.org/imputed-righteousness.html
If you really want to put all the pieces together, read a Systematic Theology book. There is one by Wayne Grudem, John Frame, Horton, Darby.

Last edited:
But i do believe good and respectful debates lead to better understanding. So i was glad we did debate on that.
What occurred to me last night though is if we are to accept FAITH as the sole criterion for being saved, then we do not have to observe / Keep any of the commandment father God ordered or the Son commanded . we have yet been saved.
Since the commandments of God are well known and documented, I started thinking about what did Jesus teach. What were His commandments and His major teachings which I furnish here under for your ready reference? While doing that exercise it also occurred to me that if I am saved by faith alone, I have to keep/ obey/ observe NONE of these to be saved. Right?
Because I am already saved. Whether I keep them or not is not concerned with my salvation.
This is referred to as "easy believism": that once you believe salvifically you don't have to obey. It is true in a sense, but the reality is that saving Faith consists of 1)content, 2)assent and 3)trust. If you "TRUST" the word of God to be true (which is a component of saving faith) then you will want/desire to obey your Lord. You won't do it perfectly, but you will be changed to you desire to obey. Keep in mind the definition of Agape Love .. it is a volition to favor. All those that love God will "favor" God by doing as He requests, though imperfectly. See https://www.gotquestions.org/lordship-salvation.html

Can I be saved even if I do not/ am not able to keep even ONE of the Commandments of father God or the Son , or Lord Jesus? If the answer is YES -- what is the basis of that assumption?
Yes. The basis of this answer is: Christ's righteousness has been imputed to those that have saving faith.

One may ask how do I know I am saved if I continue to disobey. To that question one must look at scripture for information about assurance of salvation. https://www.gotquestions.org/assurance-salvation.html ( I could write more on the subject if needed)

Aside: Re: Carnal Christian ... The ability of theologians to agree to a quantitative definition of the distinction between a “carnal Christian” and a “non-Christian” is not forthcoming.

Well, the answer is YES, thank God.

This is a lot to take in .... the Roman Catholic church does not believe in the imputation of Christ's righteousness. They have a WORKS based theology. Others on this site believe in Salvation by Works

Aside: The book of James can be confusing. It speaks of WORKS to be justified. One must keep in mind that James is talking about how one is JUSTIFIED TO OTHER MEN, and not how one is justified to GOD. This explains the apparent contradiction of PAUL who saves we are NOT justified by WORKS and James who says we are justified by WORKS.

Again, theology can be complicated if you delve into deeper questions. The Bible can be easily distorted by well intentioned people, including myself. Read several SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY books and make notes. These books organize the Bible topically, making things, for the most part, fit together. They explain things like you pointed out in Matthew where Matthew make is seem that you have to do "X" and "Y" to be saved. It will take some time and effort, but these books will be VERY helpful. For a quick answer, I find GOTQUESTIONS.ORG to be very good.

Warning: What you want to believe you tend to believe and you tend to look for excuses to believe it. Ben Shapiro

This is referred to as "easy believism": that once you believe salvifically you don't have to obey. It is true in a sense, but the reality is that saving Faith consists of 1)content, 2)assent and 3)trust. If you "TRUST" the word of God to be true (which is a component of saving faith) then you will want/desire to obey your Lord. You won't do it perfectly, but you will be changed to you desire to obey. Keep in mind the definition of Agape Love .. it is a volition to favor. All those that love God will "favor" God by doing as He requests, though imperfectly. See https://www.gotquestions.org/lordship-salvation.html
I believe that Rollo Tamasi has given a simple and truthful (full of truth) answer to all these posts,,,,
see post no. 490.

Easy believism is what you describe above; however, it is not correct in ANY sense.
It is true that we will want to obey God if we have truly accepted His free gift of salvation...
free to anyone that wants salvation and is willing to do what God necessitates be done by His commandments.

I agree with Rajesh Sahu that love is the key to our salvation because love covers a multitude of sins and makes us
desire to do what God would want us to do - or not do.

Love makes us want to help our neighbor....
To visit the sick....
To cloth the naked...
And to do what Jesus preached for over 3 years....
To belong to the Kingdom of God
and to behave as if we do.
Details are given in the Beatitudes...Matthew 5:3-10
https://www.gotquestions.org/lordship-salvation.html
Yes. The basis of this answer is: Christ's righteousness has been imputed to those that have saving faith.

One may ask how do I know I am saved if I continue to disobey. To that question one must look at scripture for information about assurance of salvation. https://www.gotquestions.org/assurance-salvation.html ( I could write more on the subject if needed)

What is saving faith?
Any faith that is followed by obedience is saving faith..if this is what you mean then I'm sure we all can agree with you.
However, qotquestions is not the authority for the Christian faith....the bible is.

If a person continues to disobey...he has not heard the voice of God...
When a person has heard God, they will understand that God loves them and they, in turn, will tend to love
all of humanity - just as God does.

The only assurance of salvation that we have is obedience to God.
Colossians 1:21-23
21And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
22yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach—
23if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

And what is that faith that was taught by Jesus?:
From John 8:

IF YOU ABIDE IN MY WORD, THEN YOU ARE TRULY DISCIPLES OF MINE.

IF ANYONE KEEPS MY WORD HE SHALL NEVER SEE DEATH.

John 14:

HE WHO HAS MY COMMANDMENTS AND KEEPS THEM...HE IT IS THAT LOVES ME.

IF ANYONE LOVES ME HE WILL KEEP MY WORD.

These are the words of Jesus....and what is His word?:

John 5:28-29
. 28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Aside: Re: Carnal Christian ... The ability of theologians to agree to a quantitative definition of the distinction between a “carnal Christian” and a “non-Christian” is not forthcoming.

A definition could not be forthcoming...
A carnal Christian might be a new Christian...
it might be someone that has to let go of specific sins...
it could just be someone that falls into worldly sin every now and then.

I believe that as time goes by a carnal Christian should become less and less likely to experience this problem.

Non-Christian, OTOH, is easy to describe.
It's simply a person that doesn't believe in Jesus or God.
Therefore, God's word is not heeded.

This is a lot to take in .... the Roman Catholic church does not believe in the imputation of Christ's righteousness. They have a WORKS based theology. Others on this site believe in Salvation by Works

The CC does not have a works based theology.
They believe what every other denomination believes.
We are saved by faith alone...
but AFTER salvation...works DO become important....just as they are to every denomination except the
easy believism followers.

Works based salvation means we think we can be saved by our works without faith in God.
I don't know of a denomination that does not agree to this....
The problem is that some teach that good works are not necessary and this is what I think
Rajesh is speaking of.

I'd also like to add that I believe Fred to be an honest person that is doing his best to live a life for God.
I believe this from his writings and also because the reformed, in general, tend to be followers of God's word
(His commandments).

Aside: The book of James can be confusing. It speaks of WORKS to be justified. One must keep in mind that James is talking about how one is JUSTIFIED TO OTHER MEN, and not how one is justified to GOD. This explains the apparent contradiction of PAUL who saves we are NOT justified by WORKS and James who says we are justified by WORKS.

I can't agree with the above.
We are justified by God - we are not justified to other men.

James speaks of justification meaning, in reality, sanctification.
The two terms were not yet defined properly before the letters were studied and we came to understand the difference
between Justification and Sanctification.

James agrees with every other N.T. writer, and V V.

James is just saying what Paul also teaches...
that our faith changes us and that works are important in our lives.

Some words from Paul:

Galatians 6:9
9And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Colossians 3:17
17And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Titus 2:7-8
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned,,,

etc...

Again, theology can be complicated if you delve into deeper questions. The Bible can be easily distorted by well intentioned people, including myself. Read several SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY books and make notes. These books organize the Bible topically, making things, for the most part, fit together. They explain things like you pointed out in Matthew where Matthew make is seem that you have to do "X" and "Y" to be saved. It will take some time and effort, but these books will be VERY helpful. For a quick answer, I find GOTQUESTIONS.ORG to be very good.

Warning: What you want to believe you tend to believe and you tend to look for excuses to believe it. Ben Shapiro
The bible is the best book.
But why don't you read: What Love Is This by David Hunt?

I believe you are insinuating salvation by works friend, thats not biblical, Salvation is by grace apart from works Eph 2:8-9
YOUR denomination teaches that the only way to know if you are truly saved is to wait till the end comes for you....
and if you have done the good works God wills for you to do until then.

Salvation may not be by works but by faith...
but continued salvation is by works.....
That's one thing Calvin got right...
except we're not forced by God to do the good works, but do them because of our free will to WANT TO.

Those who have ever lasting life have a faith with deeds.
Because of the predominant error of believing works is necessary for eternal life, I prefer the more explicit rephrasing: Those who have been given ever lasting life have faith which is the cause of good deeds (1 Corinthians 4:7; Eph. 2:8-9; Job 41:11). Said 'good deeds' are always present; the cause of those good deeds also being of God (John 15:5; Romans 8:26; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 4:7).

I believe that Rollo Tamasi has given a simple and truthful (full of truth) answer to all these posts,,,,
see post no. 490.

Easy believism is what you describe above; however, it is not correct in ANY sense.
It is true that we will want to obey God if we have truly accepted His free gift of salvation...
free to anyone that wants salvation and is willing to do what God necessitates be done by His commandments.

I agree with Rajesh Sahu that love is the key to our salvation because love covers a multitude of sins and makes us
desire to do what God would want us to do - or not do.

Love makes us want to help our neighbor....
To visit the sick....
To cloth the naked...
And to do what Jesus preached for over 3 years....
To belong to the Kingdom of God
and to behave as if we do.
Details are given in the Beatitudes...Matthew 5:3-10
https://www.gotquestions.org/lordship-salvation.html

What is saving faith?
Any faith that is followed by obedience is saving faith..if this is what you mean then I'm sure we all can agree with you.
However, qotquestions is not the authority for the Christian faith....the bible is.

If a person continues to disobey...he has not heard the voice of God...
When a person has heard God, they will understand that God loves them and they, in turn, will tend to love
all of humanity - just as God does.

The only assurance of salvation that we have is obedience to God.
Colossians 1:21-23
21And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
22yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach—
23if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

And what is that faith that was taught by Jesus?:
From John 8:

IF YOU ABIDE IN MY WORD, THEN YOU ARE TRULY DISCIPLES OF MINE.

IF ANYONE KEEPS MY WORD HE SHALL NEVER SEE DEATH.

John 14:

HE WHO HAS MY COMMANDMENTS AND KEEPS THEM...HE IT IS THAT LOVES ME.

IF ANYONE LOVES ME HE WILL KEEP MY WORD.

These are the words of Jesus....and what is His word?:

John 5:28-29
. 28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

A definition could not be forthcoming...
A carnal Christian might be a new Christian...
it might be someone that has to let go of specific sins...
it could just be someone that falls into worldly sin every now and then.

I believe that as time goes by a carnal Christian should become less and less likely to experience this problem.

Non-Christian, OTOH, is easy to describe.
It's simply a person that doesn't believe in Jesus or God.
Therefore, God's word is not heeded.

The CC does not have a works based theology.
They believe what every other denomination believes.
We are saved by faith alone...
but AFTER salvation...works DO become important....just as they are to every denomination except the
easy believism followers.

Works based salvation means we think we can be saved by our works without faith in God.
I don't know of a denomination that does not agree to this....
The problem is that some teach that good works are not necessary and this is what I think
Rajesh is speaking of.

I'd also like to add that I believe Fred to be an honest person that is doing his best to live a life for God.
I believe this from his writings and also because the reformed, in general, tend to be followers of God's word
(His commandments).

I can't agree with the above.
We are justified by God - we are not justified to other men.

James speaks of justification meaning, in reality, sanctification.
The two terms were not yet defined properly before the letters were studied and we came to understand the difference
between Justification and Sanctification.

James agrees with every other N.T. writer, and V V.

James is just saying what Paul also teaches...
that our faith changes us and that works are important in our lives.

Some words from Paul:

Galatians 6:9
9And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Colossians 3:17
17And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Titus 2:7-8
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned,,,

etc...

The bible is the best book.
But why don't you read: What Love Is This by David Hunt?
:nod Amen Amen and Amen to everything .
In my opinion. Based on my understanding of scripture, it was Love which was the central message of Christ. The entire can be obeyed through acts of Loving Compassion ( Matthew 22:37-40)
You explained well the central message. I've also learned that its very hard for those indoctrinated by easy believism doctrine to think beyond that.. I've begun respecting their views, though I absolutely do not believe/ accept that doctrine. Reason being, i do not have to Fear God or keep His commandments, I do nit have to love God or the neighbor as myself, and even if im not loving or compassionate or humble im still saved. And even if I judge others im still saved. Finally even if I do not obey even one of God's or Christ's commands im still saved. To me this doctrine is both exceedingly intriguing and audacious, in the same breath. But the Lord tells me I must still love those who believe this doctrine. So I take/ make a bow to them as well.
The good news is on the last day we will hear directly hear from our Lord what He taught :) For at heart He was a teacher ( Rabbi) , above everything else . He taught us the priceless teaching of Forgiveness ( which is an inherent part of Love) from the Cross .... crushed, broken, and bleeding, moments before His death, as he uttered His famous words " Father forgive them , for they do not know what they do."
Jesus used to Walk all His Talk. The Ideal Teacher . I Love Him, and Bless Him every day as my obsession for the Christ rapidly increases .. He Walked/ Practiced even on the Cross What He taught ( the talk ) in Matthew 6:14
" For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
To me this is a huge warning from the savior. Yet if one believes in the doctrine of saved by Faith alone then even this warning of Christ on forgiveness gets swept aside/ redundant .

:nod Amen Amen and Amen to everything .
In my opinion. Based on my understanding of scripture, it was Love which was the central message of Christ. The entire can be obeyed through acts of Loving Compassion ( Matthew 22:37-40)
You explained well the central message. I've also learned that its very hard for those indoctrinated by easy believism doctrine to think beyond that.. I've begun respecting their views, though I absolutely do not believe/ accept that doctrine. Reason being, i do not have to Fear God or keep His commandments, I do nit have to love God or the neighbor as myself, and even if im not loving or compassionate or humble im still saved. And even if I judge others im still saved. Finally even if I do not obey even one of God's or Christ's commands im still saved. To me this doctrine is both exceedingly intriguing and audacious, in the same breath. But the Lord tells me I must still love those who believe this doctrine. So I take/ make a bow to them as well.
The good news is on the last day we will hear directly hear from our Lord what He taught :) For at heart He was a teacher ( Rabbi) , above everything else . He taught us the priceless teaching of Forgiveness ( which is an inherent part of Love) from the Cross .... crushed, broken, and bleeding, moments before His death, as he uttered His famous words " Father forgive them , for they do not know what they do."
Jesus used to Walk all His Talk. The Ideal Teacher . I Love Him, and Bless Him every day as my obsession for the Christ rapidly increases .. He Walked/ Practiced even on the Cross What He taught ( the talk ) in Matthew 6:14
" For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
To me this is a huge warning from the savior. Yet if one believes in the doctrine of saved by Faith alone then even this warning of Christ on forgiveness gets swept aside/ redundant .
I would go so far as to say that Jesus did not teach only love.
He actually taught HOW we are supposed to be and how we are supposed to behave in order
to gain heaven.

It's not even to gain heaven as much as it is to be with God. It's obvious that those that are not
Godly-like will not be friends of God. Jesus made this plain.

I don't think we could or should respect those that believe that faith alone will save them.
This is a dangerous doctrine and should not be taught by any church.

Nowhere in scripture does Jesus state that if we only believe in Him we will be saved.
And every time He used the word BELIEVE, He meant it as it was used in that time...
not that we should believe in our mind...but that we need to believe with the heart.

I don't know why Calvinists espouse the idea of sola fide...
they certainly do not live as such.

Amen /\ Hallelujah
You said exactly as Jesus taught which gained him both, friends and enemies.
John the Baptist says ( warning really) in John 3:36 ( NASB)
"The one who believes in the Son has eternal life; but the one who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”
Jesus cautions us in John 14:15: If you love me you shall obey my commandments
( notice how Jesus is placing a condition here-- why? because it's a COVENANT --with bilateral responsibilities and obligations. Jesus did His part, now He is asking us to do ours)
Notice what He says in Mark 3: 33-35 ( similar to Matthew 7:21)
“Who are my mother and my brothers?” Jesus asked.
Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”

To me its clear that Jesus is telling us " you won't make it to my sanctuary UNLESS you are prepared to DO the Will of God"
( which typically conflicts with my will , which is fleshly and sinful)
Again Jesus says abundantly clearly in Matthew 19 :17
"If you want to enter life, keep the commandments."
Again in Luke 6:46 Jesus rebukes us saying
"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what i say "
There are tons of verses where Jesus talks about absolute importance of obedience to salvation including the Great commission ( Matthew 28:18-20) . He wants us to teach and obey ALL things He taught
Wonder how those who are not obeying Him find the courage to share the great commission of the Lord which asks / orders us to obey ALL things. I think those who believe in the doctrine of Saved by Faith Alone, should NOT obey the Great commission of the Lord for that reason, since they themselves are not obeying ( they believe they are saved by Faith alone)
Finally I would like to share something the Lord gave me last night while reading the last parts of John. Its John 21: 18-19
( Jesus talking to Peter after resurrection)
"Very truly I tell you ( Peter), when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”
19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God.

When I read this it occurred to me Jesus was telling Peter, you will have to die a painful death while sharing my Word and message. Jesus was giving Peter a heads up about a dreadful end...
Peter knew he would have to die a horrendous death if he continued Sharing the Word.
As i was reading this I put my Bible down and thought what must have gone in Peter's mind after hearing the death verdict from Christ ? Panic, fear, thoughts of sacrificing His life for His beloved Lord? Thoughts of fleeing? ( as I would have thought about doing had i been in Peter's shoes... honest confession)
I bet he thought all these. I'm also sure Peter went down on his knees to pray ( especially since he had seen it happen before!) praying to the Lord "Can the cup not pass Lord...."
Im sure his whole body may have trembled with fear of a dreadful death.
BUT what did he DO?
He OBEYED and laid down his life for the one he loved most.... Jesus.
And fulfilled what Jesus taught us:
John 15: 13
" Greater love has no one than this, that one should lay down his life for his friends."
It does not work one way... That Jesus only die for us. We have to do likewise if needed says Christ in Mark 8:35
"For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and for the gospel will save it."
Peter chose to implement what Jesus taught....And laid down his life for the one he loved and called Lord...
I believe that when we only choose to believe but not obey, we yet reject our Lord

Last edited:
mostly of Apostle Paul which clearly state that a Christian is saved by Faith alone,

Paul never taught that we are saved by faith alone.

Faith alone is unbiblical, as the principle of faith requires the corresponding act of obedience, in order to complete faith and activate it, (cause it to come alive), otherwise faith remains dead, just as a body without a spirit is dead.

Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:17

again

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

JLB

Back