Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is vegetarianism or veganism against Christianity?

Instead give me your exegesis of Acts 10, and what you think it applies to.

You don't need my opinion on acts 10 because Peter clearly tells us his dream is about MEN, not FOOD.

ACTS 10:28
28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has ((shown)) me that I should not call ((anyone)) impure or unclean.

Romans 14:3, Paul writes,
He is still only talking about food that was consecrated by God. He is not talking about swine because swine isn't mentioned in the context of "food"
Because swine isn't consecrated by God as food it will never be called food in the word of God.

It's interesting that some seem to what to burden Gentile Christians with things even the Apostles and first church in Jerusalem were even unwilling to do:

Act 15:19 Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God,
Act 15:20 but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood. (ESV)

And, if Mark, likely from Peter's dictation or influence, thought Jesus had declared all foods clean, why should we think differently and fall back into law?

Mar 7:18 And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him,
Mar 7:19 since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.) (ESV)

It is worth noting then that it is Peter to whom God gives the vision in Acts 10. The questions must be asked of Peter's vision 1) why did God use animals?, 2) why did God command Peter to kill and eat?, and 3) why didn't God just use people or in some way just plainly tell Peter that the Gentiles were to have the gospel preached to them and should no longer be considered unclean?

It is implicit in Peter's vision that animals are no longer unclean, which Jesus had also implied.

Rom 14:1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.
Rom 14:2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables.
Rom 14:3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him.
Rom 14:13 Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.
Rom 14:14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.
Rom 14:15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died.
Rom 14:16 So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil.
Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Rom 14:18 Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.
Rom 14:19 So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.
Rom 14:20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats.
Rom 14:21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.
Rom 14:22 The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves.
Rom 14:23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. (ESV)

Paul also states that nothing is unclean.

You don't need my opinion on acts 10 because Peter clearly tells us his dream is about MEN, not FOOD.

ACTS 10:28
28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has ((shown)) me that I should not call ((anyone)) impure or unclean.

Sorry Humblepie, but by dismissing Acts 10:13-16 you are in effect eliminating it from the text. The Jewish customs had a deeper spiritual meaning beyond the literal, and this was the understanding of the early church.

Blessings,
Hidden In Him

Sorry Humblepie, but by dismissing Acts 10:13-16 you are in effect eliminating it from the text. The Jewish customs had a deeper spiritual meaning beyond the literal, and this was the understanding of the early church.

Blessings,
Hidden In Him
What am I dismissing?

What am I dismissing?

The need to pay attention, Lol.

It's fine. We just disagree on the meaning of Acts 10:13-16 is all. But I would remind you again that your position runs entirely counter to the early church's understanding on the matter. Not that this guarantees they were right and you were wrong, but without any genuine support from early church teachings your position doesn't have much to commend it or confirm itself.

Blessings,
- H

It's interesting that some seem to what to burden Gentile Christians with things even the Apostles and first church in Jerusalem were even unwilling to do:
That's never a "burden", shame on you for framing it with such rhetorics. Ask yourself, man, which sounds more like a burden, navigating through all kinds of modern fad diets and nutrition labels, obsessing with weight and calories, or simply trust in God and follow His simple and beneficial dietary instruction? It's not like we're living in scarcity with little choice but to gobble up whatever scrap we can get, we have control over what goes into our stomach. Yes, Jesus did say that what goes into the stomach is eliminated and won't defile you, but what if it's not entirely? What about food poisoning that did end up defiling you? Does what prove Jesus wrong? Or prove you wrong?

That's never a "burden", shame on you for framing it with such rhetorics.
So, you disagree with James for framing it that way then? Would you prefer I use “yolk” as Peter did?

Act 15:10 Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? (ESV)

Ask yourself, man, which sounds more like a burden, navigating through all kinds of modern fad diets and nutrition labels, obsessing with weight and calories, or simply trust in God and follow His simple and beneficial dietary instruction? It's not like we're living in scarcity with little choice but to gobble up whatever scrap we can get, we have control over what goes into our stomach.
The point is, God’s dietary law was only for the Jews, not Gentiles, and all food was declared clean, as the passages everyone has given shows.

We need to apply wisdom in both what we eat and how much, but there is no command for believers to eat only organic or kosher food. Suggesting believers must eat that way would be to stray into legalism.

So, you disagree with James for framing it that way then? Would you prefer I use “yolk” as Peter did?

Act 15:10 Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? (ESV)
Haven't you read the context? Is this statement really about diet? Or circumcision? Show me what 15:1 says. Show me.
The point is, God’s dietary law was only for the Jews, not Gentiles, and all food was declared clean, as the passages everyone has given shows.
First of all, the TOPIC is whehter "vegetarianism or veganism is against Christianity", not whether "kosher or unkosher is against Christianity"; second, "torah", commonly and universally understood as "law", primarily means "TEACHING" or "INSTRUCTION". As long as God is God of all mankind, his instructions are truthful and effective to all mankind, not just for the Jews.
We need to apply wisdom in both what we eat and how much, but there is no command for believers to eat only organic or kosher food. Suggesting believers must eat that way would be to stray into legalism.
Where did I suggest that you MUST eat or MUST not eat this or that? Eat organic and kosher is a simple dietary guideline written in the bible, especially the organic part - honest to yourself, man, who puts a herbicide resistant gene into staple corps' genomes, man or God? Who puts in a variety of additives, perservatives and colorings, man or God? And who sanctified such foods - which are rather more accurately called "food-like edible substances"? Are these abominations created by God? Or man? The last time I checked, Gen. 1:29 and 9:3 were written for all mankind, not just Jews. Jews didn't even exist at the time of Adam or Noah. You're throwing the same Strawman fallacy at e posted in #17.

I don't mean to be personal or mean, but you and several others seem to be totally ignorant of the kosher law and its purpose, and you're showing an antinomianism sentiment. Kosher law is first and foremost a dietary guideline, informing the Israelites in the wilderness what is fit for human consumption and what is unfit, and it only covers animal products, all plants and plant-based foods are by default kosher; within the category of animal products, cross off pork, shellfish, wild animals except deer and naturally sick and deceased animals, that's it. For kosher animals, trim the fat and drain the blood - most toxins are stored in the fat issues, blood causes a foul taste and shortens shelf life, so salt was commonly used as a preservative, known as the kosher salt, and that's the "salt of the earth" Jesus was referring to in the Sermon on the Mount. Even if the blood is not thoroughly drained, the meat must be cooked, then there will be no blood, you don't eat it raw. All of these are just common sense for our benefit, how is it a burden? If you don't consider any FDA food regulations a burden, then neither should Lev. 11 be a burden.

SMH,

The yolk isn't the Law.....

The yolk is using the law as a means of justification...

If you would finish the rest of the scriptures in Acts, Peter also proclaims that the law is taught in all the synagogues on the sabbath and that the Gentiles can learn the law as their faith grows.
That's a fact!!

You remove the context of Acts 15 to fit your false beliefs.

The context in Acts 15 is this.

One sect claims you must be circumcised and follow the law first to be saved,
Peters group says you only need to quit worshipping other gods first to be saved, then learn the Law in the synagogues as you Grow in the Faith.

The context isn't
"Law bad"
"Faith good"

That's what my Bible teaches.

Act 15:19 Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God,

Act 15:20-21
20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

((((((((((((((((((((21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues (((((every)))))) sabbath day.))))))))))))))))

They did NOT determine that there were only three things a convert needed to do and that is all.

Only three things they must do to (((enter))) the faith, not to keep the faith.

I have more scriptures from both old a new testaments that backs my claim than your common belief.

You can't pull one verse from the OT that backs your claim that the law is a yolk, a burden, abolished, not applicable so that must mean your interpretation is incorrect.
The bible does NOT contradict itself, ever.

The law should be used today by Christians to show us our sin.
It should point to our Savior.

The law will never make us righteous, but it does show us how to live righteously, only our faith and obedience will make us righteous.

Saved by grace through faith.

Following God's Law because we are saved, ****not to save us.**** (*This is the yolk*)

The yolk isn't the Law.....

The yolk is using the law as a means of justification...
The context could actually be showing something different.

If you would finish the rest of the scriptures in Acts, Peter also proclaims that the law is taught in all the synagogues on the sabbath and that the Gentiles can learn the law as their faith grows.
That's a fact!!
Where is that fact stated? Where does Peter say "that the Gentiles can learn the law as their faith grows"?

You remove the context of Acts 15 to fit your false beliefs.
I guess your username means you like to attempt to dish out humble pie, not that you are an example of humble pie, correct? Let's look at the context of Acts 15.

The context in Acts 15 is this.

One sect claims you must be circumcised and follow the law first to be saved,
Well, they don't say "first," as they are also talking about those Gentiles who are already believers.

Peters group says you only need to quit worshipping other gods first to be saved,
Where does "Peter's group" say that "you only need to quit worshipping other gods first to be saved"?

then learn the Law in the synagogues as you Grow in the Faith.
Where is it stated that any believer, much less Gentiles, should "learn the Law in the synagogues as you Grow in the Faith"?

The context isn't
"Law bad"
"Faith good"
I never said it was.

((((((((((((((((((((21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues (((((every)))))) sabbath day.))))))))))))))))
Which seems to be speaking of Jews, not Christians, since that it was Jews had done for centuries at that point. The meaning seems to be that Jewish believers had no need to be told of what to abstain from, since they knew what the Law of Moses stated, whereas Gentile believers likely did not.

They did NOT determine that there were only three things a convert needed to do and that is all.
They determined there were only four things Gentile believers needed to do in regard to the law. Remember, the context has to do with obeying the law.

Only three things they must do to (((enter))) the faith, not to keep the faith.
So, you believe in works salvation? I don't because the NT teaches very much against that.

I have more scriptures from both old a new testaments that backs my claim than your common belief.

You can't pull one verse from the OT that backs your claim that the law is a yolk, a burden, abolished, not applicable so that must mean your interpretation is incorrect.
No, other than pointing out the obvious burden of the law, but I can pull from the NT, which I did. Those were Peter's and James's words, not mine.

The bible does NOT contradict itself, ever.
Of course it doesn't, except for the few times it actually seems to. But those are copyist issues not original ones.

The law should be used today by Christians to show us our sin.
It should point to our Savior.
Of course, but the question is, should we actually follow any of it?

The law will never make us righteous, but it does show us how to live righteously, only our faith and obedience will make us righteous.

Saved by grace through faith.
Yes, and this is the backdrop of Paul's and Barnabas's dispute with the Judaizers as well as Peter's comments. Those three, and likely others at the council, understood that salvation was by grace alone through faith alone, not by trying to follow the law.

Notice closely what Peter says:

Act 15:8 And God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us,
Act 15:9 and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith.
Act 15:10 Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?
Act 15:11 But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.” (ESV)

Also, remember that what he is speaking of what occurred back in chapter 10, where there was no mention of following any of the law. Cornelius and his household were saved simply by hearing the gospel and believing. So, it seems that Peter isn't talking about the yoke of the law only as it relates to salvation, but about following the law in general, or more likely, those parts of it related to the ceremonial law.

Following God's Law because we are saved, ****not to save us.**** (*This is the yolk*)
How much of the law? All of it? Part(s) of it?

To sum then, there is nothing in Scripture that states Christians are to follow Jewish dietary law, nor is it recommended they do so. But, there are some clear statements that all foods are now clean and Christians have freedom in Christ to choose what to eat.

Where is that fact stated? Where does Peter say "that the Gentiles can learn the law as their faith grows"?
Verse 21, it's plain as day.

20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.

((((((((((21 For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.”))))))))

That's called context.

Also, remember that what he is speaking of what occurred back in chapter 10, where there was no mention of following any of the law.
You can't combine what happened in Acts 10 with Acts 15. It's two totally separate events years apart.

Acts 15 is directly related to Galatians.

The topic debated was about 2 things and 2 things only. You can't add to it to fit your narrative.

1) one sect claimed you had to follow the law FIRST in order to enter the faith.

2) You didn't have to follow the law FIRST to enter the faith.

The Decision that came from Acts 15.

1) Converts should abstain from:
food polluted by
idols,

from sexual
immorality,

from
the meat of strangled animals

and from blood.

AND

2) The rest of the Law of Moses is taught every week on the sabbath to educate them.

In simple terms,
Converts did not need to know and practice the law before entering the faith, just the idolatry and sexual immorality that went along with pagan worship, then learn, just as we do now, after they enter the faith.

That is the only context you can
correctly extrapolate from Acts 15. Those are the only two things debated.

Context

Of course it doesn't, except for the few times it actually seems to. But those are copyist issues not original ones.

14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

17 “‘This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.’”

Do you read this as a contradiction?
I don't.

The context makes it clear that the Law Paul isn't under, is the law of sin, as he is still under God's law. (Law of Moses)
But his sin is covered by Grace when he breaks God's law.

The law is the only thing that defines what God calls sin.

14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

17 “‘This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.’”

Do you read this as a contradiction?
I don't.

The context makes it clear that the Law Paul isn't under, is the law of sin, as he is still under God's law. (Law of Moses)
But his sin is covered by Grace when he breaks God's law.

The law is the only thing that defines what God calls sin.
You see, the law is for spiritually immature new believers, the amateurs who always have to be monitored and regulated, they have to be constantly reminded by the law to watch over their words and behaviors. It was never meant to be a "yoke", but a mirror that reflects our sins and shortcomings. For spiritually mature believers, law has become a part of their identity, they understand the original intention of the law, and they automatically act according to the rule of unchanging law instead of the rule of whimsical man, they don't have to be told what to do and reminded what is right or wrong like new believers, they don't need to be taught that murder, theft, adultery, perjury and coveting are wrong, that those are offenses against God and other people, they defile your own character. These laws are naturally written in their hearts.

"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet." (Rom. 7:7)

Verse 21, it's plain as day.

20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.

((((((((((21 For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.”))))))))

That's called context.
No, it isn't plain as day and, no, that isn't called context. You stated that Peter said, "that the Gentiles can learn the law as their faith grows," but that is not at all what is said. First, there is no mention of growing in faith. Second, knowledge of the law is very clearly limited to four things, as the immediate context states:

Act 15:20 but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood. (ESV)

That's it. Four things from the law for the Gentile believers to follow, and those were written from the council of Jerusalem converts to Gentile converts without any mention of them being from the Law of Moses.

The most likely reason for verse 21 is that the Jews knew about keeping those things, because they kept so much more, as they had been taught them for a very long time in the synagogues. Gentile believers wouldn't have known those things, so it was likely that in order to keep Jewish converts, who likely kept the ceremonial laws for some time after, from suffering offense.

You can't combine what happened in Acts 10 with Acts 15. It's two totally separate events years apart.

Acts 15 is directly related to Galatians.
As you like to say, "context." You also have to take what I, and others, say in context. I was quoting Acts 15:8-9, which is speaking of what happened in Acts 10, although it could also be

Act 15:8 And God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us,
Act 15:9 and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith. (ESV)

Act 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.
Act 10:45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles.
Act 10:46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared,
Act 10:47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” (ESV)

Which is recounted in chapter 11:

Act 11:15 As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning.
Act 11:16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’
Act 11:17 If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?” (ESV)

The topic debated was about 2 things and 2 things only. You can't add to it to fit your narrative.

1) one sect claimed you had to follow the law FIRST in order to enter the faith.
You haven't shown that to be the case; it doesn't say.

Act 15:1 But some men came down from Judea and were teaching the brothers, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” (ESV)

Not that it matters whether it was first or after becoming believers, the whole point was that following the law, or certain parts of the law, was a burden even the Jews couldn't bear, according to Peter.

2) You didn't have to follow the law FIRST to enter the faith.
Except that was not what was debated. It was that they didn't have to follow the law at all, apart from four things, right?

Act 15:11 "But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.” (ESV)

The Gentiles were saved but nothing more was to trouble them in regards to the law, or at least parts of the law, than four things.

The Decision that came from Acts 15.

AND

2) The rest of the Law of Moses is taught every week on the sabbath to educate them.
No, that is not at all what is stated.

Act 15:21 For from ancient generations Moses has had in every city those who proclaim him, for he is read every Sabbath in the synagogues.” (ESV)

That is clearly speaking of Jews. Besides, believers largely met in house churches on the first day of the week. This is probably particularly true of Gentile converts, who may or may not have gone to a synagogue on the Sabbath. They likely didn't as they weren't converts to Judaism.

In simple terms,
Converts did not need to know and practice the law before entering the faith, just the idolatry and sexual immorality that went along with pagan worship,
If one has to practice certain things prior to entering the faith, then that can be nothing but works salvation, which is directly opposed to salvation by grace through faith. That is a different gospel, and one Peter disposes of in verse 11, right? If you deny that you are teaching salvation by works, what do you mean by your statement? Maybe you would like to reword it, especially since the four things were for after Gentiles had converted.

then learn, just as we do now, after they enter the faith.

That is the only context you can
correctly extrapolate from Acts 15. Those are the only two things debated.

Context
We can learn about the law, and we should, but how it is applicable to believers, and what parts are applicable, is more tricky and still debated.

My response to the OP seems to have offended you. I do apologize. Please forgive me.

I have attempted to erase my comment, but to no avail, so I will contact an admin to have it removed so it will not be there to cause any further objections.

I sincerely hadn't thought my answer to another member's request for thoughts/opinions on a topic would be controversial to anyone and I will certainly consider not sharing my thoughts if there's any chance someone else may read what I've written.
Too late. I already read what you wrote LOL I remember this which I believe is true for every post on the net. We will never be judged for what someone else posts. All are called to judgment for only their thoughts, actions, etc. This means nothing offends me, but I do seek to make wise decisions on posts in terms of what I believe is right or wrong about them.

As you like to say, "context." You also have to take what I, and others, say in context. I was quoting Acts 15:8-9, which is speaking of what happened in Acts 10, although it could also be
The whole context of Acts 10 is about whether Gentiles can be accepted into the church, especially Roman occupiers such as Cornelius, that was at the infancy of Christianity when it was yet a sect of Judaism, known as the "Way" sect; Acts 15 is about the controversy over circumcision in PARTICULAR. The law and custom of Moses were mentioned, but nothing in particular was mentioned other than circumcision. Those are the contexts which you have totally ignored, you've just cherrypicked some verses to back your doctrine.

Also, circumcision was not one of the four things, and this circumcision controversy was supposedly settled, and yet in the next chapter Paul met Timothy, and the first thing of his initiation was not baptism, but circumcision for an approval from the local Jews. Care to explain that?

Paul wanted to have him go on with him. And he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in that region, for they all knew that his father was Greek. (Acts 16:3)

Last edited:
The whole context of Acts 10 is about whether Gentiles can be accepted into the church, especially Roman occupiers such as Cornelius, that was at the infancy of Christianity when it was yet a sect of Judaism, known as the "Way" sect; Acts 15 is about the controversy over circumcision in PARTICULAR. The law and custom of Moses were mentioned, but nothing in particular was mentioned other than circumcision. Those are the contexts which you have totally ignored, you've just cherrypicked some verses to back your doctrine.

Also, circumcision was not one of the four things, and this circumcision controversy was supposedly settled, and yet in the next chapter Paul met Timothy, and the first thing of his initiation was not baptism, but circumcision for an approval from the local Jews. Care to explain that?

Paul wanted to have him go on with him. And he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in that region, for they all knew that his father was Greek. (Acts 16:3)
Try reading my posts again.

Back