Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus Died For You To Be Saved

What do you believe regeneration is?

Mew heart (mind). The Spirit of God sovereignly moves to change the hearts of men, bringing them from spiritual death to spiritual life.

Ezekiel 36:25 “Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your uncleanness and from all your idols.
Ezekiel 36:26 “Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
Ezekiel 36:27 “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to do My judgments.

Ezekiel 37:1-14 The hand of Yahweh was upon me, and He brought me out by the Spirit of Yahweh and caused me to rest in the middle of the valley; and it was full of bones. He caused me to pass among them all around, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley; and behold, they were very dry. He said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” And I answered, “O Lord Yahweh, You know.” Then He said to me, “Prophesy over these bones and say to them, ‘O dry bones, hear the word of Yahweh.’ “Thus says Lord Yahweh to these bones, ‘Behold, I will cause breath to enter you that you may come to life. ‘I will put sinews on you, make flesh come up upon you, cover you with skin, and put breath in you that you may come alive; and you will know that I am Yahweh.’” So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold, a rumbling; and the bones came together, bone to its bone. And I looked, and behold, sinews were on them, and flesh came up upon them, and skin covered them; but there was no breath in them. Then He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says Lord Yahweh, “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these who were killed, that they may come to life.”’” So I prophesied as He commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they came to life and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great military force. Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel; behold, they say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope has perished. We are completely cut off.’ “Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says Lord Yahweh, “Behold, I will open your graves and cause you to come up out of your graves, My people; and I will bring you into the land of Israel. “Then you will know that I am Yahweh, when I have opened your graves and caused you to come up out of your graves, My people. “And I will put My Spirit within you, and you will come to life, and I will place you on your own land. Then you will know that I, Yahweh, have spoken and done it,” declares Yahweh.’”

Also John 3

Especially...

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 “That which has been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which has been born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 “Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

What is your definiton of regeneration?

Mew heart (mind). The Spirit of God sovereignly moves to change the hearts of men, bringing them from spiritual death to spiritual life.

Ezekiel 36:25 “Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your uncleanness and from all your idols.
Ezekiel 36:26 “Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
Ezekiel 36:27 “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to do My judgments.

Ezekiel 37:1-14 The hand of Yahweh was upon me, and He brought me out by the Spirit of Yahweh and caused me to rest in the middle of the valley; and it was full of bones. He caused me to pass among them all around, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley; and behold, they were very dry. He said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” And I answered, “O Lord Yahweh, You know.” Then He said to me, “Prophesy over these bones and say to them, ‘O dry bones, hear the word of Yahweh.’ “Thus says Lord Yahweh to these bones, ‘Behold, I will cause breath to enter you that you may come to life. ‘I will put sinews on you, make flesh come up upon you, cover you with skin, and put breath in you that you may come alive; and you will know that I am Yahweh.’” So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold, a rumbling; and the bones came together, bone to its bone. And I looked, and behold, sinews were on them, and flesh came up upon them, and skin covered them; but there was no breath in them. Then He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says Lord Yahweh, “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these who were killed, that they may come to life.”’” So I prophesied as He commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they came to life and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great military force. Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel; behold, they say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope has perished. We are completely cut off.’ “Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says Lord Yahweh, “Behold, I will open your graves and cause you to come up out of your graves, My people; and I will bring you into the land of Israel. “Then you will know that I am Yahweh, when I have opened your graves and caused you to come up out of your graves, My people. “And I will put My Spirit within you, and you will come to life, and I will place you on your own land. Then you will know that I, Yahweh, have spoken and done it,” declares Yahweh.’”

Also John 3

Especially...

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 “That which has been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which has been born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 “Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

What is your definiton of regeneration?
That's very good and I agree with those scriptures for sure. I consider regeneration a state of being, but not necessarily the same thing as perfection, for even Jesus himself had to be perfect. I believe it's like how Peter put it: partaking of God's divine nature and escaping the corruption of the world cause by evil desires. After that, step by step being sanctified by in a maturing process, adding to our faith virtue, love, and godliness. It can also all be lost with the salvation that comes with it.

2 Peter 1
3According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 4Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 11For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 2
18For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. 19While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. 20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

That's very good and I agree with those scriptures for sure. I consider regeneration a state of being, but not necessarily the same thing as perfection, for even Jesus himself had to be perfect. I believe it's like how Peter put it: partaking of God's divine nature and escaping the corruption of the world cause by evil desires. After that, step by step being sanctified by in a maturing process, adding to our faith virtue, love, and godliness. It can also all be lost with the salvation that comes with it.

2 Peter 1
3According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 4Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 11For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 2
18For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. 19While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. 20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

I do not believe regeneration and perfection is the same.

Well some on this forum believe that they are perfect and without sin. they will be along shortly to correct the Bible.

If salvation is the gift of God and He regenerated His people, how could He take it away?

Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. (ESV)
Once again, this is believing Jesus is risen, not believing in His works to be saved.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,
1Co 15:4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, (ESV)
Jesus dying for us and being buried was not a work He did. He dids not commit suicide for us

The only work of Christ to believe, else we cannot be saved, is His resurrection from the dead.

Jhn 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Joh 20:30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book;
Joh 20:31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. (ESV)

Jhn 14:11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Once again, the works Jesus did on earth ought to persuade men, that He is the true Christ of God.

But they are not works we must believe, in order to be saved. Otherwise, we must first learn all these things and believe them, else we cannot be saved.

Scripture declares that by faith in His resurrection and confessing the Lord Jesus, we shall be saved. Scripture does not say by faith in His works and resurrection with confession, we shall be saved.

The problem with preaching we must believe His work on earth to be saved, is not only how many of His works if not all, but also there are disputed teachings by believers of His works. Therefore, a certain teaching an the works of Christ on earth, would also need to be first learned and agreed with, in order to be saved.

Believing certain teachings about His works, is the work of studying to show ourselves and teachers approved of God.

2Ti 2:15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

If we must first study and believe in His works to be saved, then we are saved by our workmanship with Scripture, which is salvation by our good work.

Learning His works and believing they are of God, persuades us Jesus is Christ. Beleiving from the heart He is risen from the dead and confessing Him Lord, saves our soul and justifies us with God.

I do not believe regeneration and perfection is the same.
Do you believe you were reborn imperfect ?
God's regenerating seed is incorruptible !
Well some on this forum believe that they are perfect and without sin. they will be along shortly to correct the Bible.
The repentance from sin was real for those born of God.
If salvation is the gift of God and He regenerated His people, how could He take it away?
It will depend on the regeneration actually being of God...or not.
Plenty of posers claim rebirth, but their fruit betrays them.

Yeah, leave it at that, you declaring that Jesus lost one He had and, falling short of His Fathers will, Jn 6:39

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
So we can get back on topic now. The answer to your question hasn't changed.

Nope. Entirely Judas' free will to betray Jesus, be lost, and fulfill prophecy. Nothing to do with failing on Jesus or God's part.

John 17
12While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Nope. Entirely Judas' free will to betray Jesus, be lost, and fulfill prophecy. Nothing to do with failing on Jesus or God's part.

John 17
12While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
Here is the OP topic.

Jesus Died For You To Be Saved​

John 17
Leave it at that, you declaring that Jesus lost one He had and, falling short of His Fathers will, Jn 6:39

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 17

If one has escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires then they are partaking of the divine nature and regenerated. If one becomes entangled therein again then they have degenerated.

Think about when you were born "again." When did we die the first time? We didn't die the first time before we were born, therefore we not born dead in our trespasses because there were no trespasses committed to die in, yet. Spiritual death and spiritual birth can happen many times. Same with re/degeneration.

God takes it away after people become extremely wicked, like Judas for example.

If one has escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires then they are partaking of the divine nature and regenerated. If one becomes entangled therein again then they have degenerated.

Think about when you were born "again." When did we die the first time? We didn't die the first time before we were born, therefore we not born dead in our trespasses because there were no trespasses committed to die in, yet. Spiritual death and spiritual birth can happen many times. Same with re/degeneration.
This idea should have its own thread.
I can't agree with multiple re/degenerations.

John 17
No way around it,

You declaring that Jesus lost one He had and, falling short of His Fathers will, Jn 6:39

This opinion in not Biblical.

His work is intrinsically linked to who he is. Not to mention his work includes his death on the cross for our sins, without which there is no forgiveness of sins.
Here is the pitfall of preaching faith in Jesus Christ and His work to be saved. The error begins when a teaching about His work must first be learned and believed to be saved. That is proselytization to a certain teaching about such things.

1Co 15:1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Beleiving certain things were done must be believed, not any teaching about them. Beleiving Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again on the third day, is necessary to confess Him Lord and stand in His gospel.

Whether we believe any teaching about such things is not for salvation, but only for agreement in the doctrine of Christ, and unity of the body.

His death for our sins was the main work he came to accomplish,
Such as here, we see a teaching about Jesus dying for our sins, is not simply believing He did die for our sins.

and his resurrection means he has defeated death
And also here is a teaching about His resurrection from the dead, that is not simply believing He did rise from the dead.

Beleiving these things happened, is not the same as believing things about what happened.

Do we believe Jesus died for our sins? Yes. Believe He was buried? Yes. Believe He rose again the third day? Yes. This is saving faith in Jesus Christ for confessing Him Lord.

Any teachings about His death, burial, and resurrection are matters of doctrinal unity or schism, not about being saved and justified by confessing Jesus is our risen Lord and Savior.

Afterall, any teaching of Jesus' 'main' work is suspect from the start, since no Scriture speaks of Jesus having a 'main' vs 'not main' work of God. And it could be easily argued that any 'main' work of Christ must include His resurrection, since no man is saved by His death, but only born again by His resurrection from the dead.

1 Peter{1:3} Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

What is being preached here is having faith in Jesus Christ and His 'main' work of dying for our sins, according to a teaching about it and His resurrection.

and we, too, can have eternal life, if we put our faith in him and his work and make him Lord of our lives.
And what work is that? Oh, we must first be taught that. Only then can we be saved by believing a teaching about that work.

The issue is that if one doesn't believe in the work of Christ, then they likely don't even know why they have to put their faith in him in the first place.
The issue is if one doesn't believe in a teaching of a 'main' work of Christ, then certainly they don't put their faith in that teaching of work in the first place, nor even that it is main, nor that Christ even as a main work.

And since it's not necessary to hear and believe in such teachings, then we don't have to hear it, much less believe it.

So long as we believe Jesus did die for our sins, was buried, and rose again from the dead, then any teaching about those events, is of none effect to being saved by the faith and confession of Jesus Christ.

Otherwise, having faith in Jesus Christ and His resurrection to confess Him Lord, is made of none effect to justify the confessor, until hearing a teaching about a main work and believing it.

The same as hearing about a teaching on water baptism, that says we must first believe water baptism saves and washes away sins to be saved.

One demands faith in a teaching of a 'main' work of Christ, and the other demands faith in a teaching of His water baptism, else we cannot be saved by faith in His resurrection and confessing Him Lord...

If they don't understand that he died for our sins,
If any do not believe He died for our sins. Understanding it is a teaching to be believed or not.

Which means they must also understand the purpose of Jesus's death, what it and his resurrection accomplished.
The purpose of Jesus' death and resurrection is already known: for our sins and our justification. Any that believe it to confess Him Lord, shall be saved.

Teachings about that purpose and accomplishment may or may not be agreed with, but not necessary to be saved by.

No man is saved by believing in a teaching about Jesus dying for our sins, and rising again for our justification. We are saved by believing He did so, and confessing Him Lord Jesus.

Could you truly love a woman that you did not know?
Neither Isaac nor Rebecca knew each other at all before marriage. Marriage is personal learning and growing in knowledge of the spouse in love.

No one must learn the works of Jesus Christ recorded in Scripture, in order to be saved. Even as the husband and wife do not need to learn all the past of the other, in order to marry.

Believing He is risen for our justification, and confessing the Lord Jesus is saying "I do". Learning all the works of the Lord Jesus yesterday and today, is growing faithfully in Him.

Eph 5:31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

If we must first learn all things of Christ by His works, in order to be espoused to Him, then once again, we are converted by Christ through our study and workmanship in the Scriptures.

His work on Earth is so that we can believe who Jesus is "and that by believing [we] may have life in his name."
Mat 11:28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

We come to Jesus by hearing of faith in His resurrection confessing Him Lord. We learn of Him our Savior by knowledge of His works in Scripture.

This is not teaching about knowing the Lord by His works, but what the Scripture says we must believe and do to be saved.

Rom 10:9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

They might just think Jesus was a good moral teacher and that their own works will get them into heaven.

True. If any do not believe He died for our sins and rose again for our justification, yet do believe He was a great teacher and prophet by His works, then they cannot be saved and justified with God by Jesus Christ.

Both unbelieving Jews and Muslims believe His works on earth, but not His resurrection from the dead. His own disciples believed His works and confessed Him Christ and Son of God, and then all forsook Him at the cross.

That is how faith in works to believe Jesus is the Christ, can become a snare to being saved and faithful to Jesus the true Christ and only begotten Son of God.

That means they must also understand who he is, which is proven by his earthly ministry.
For converts to grow in His knowledge, yes. But not for conversion, since many unconverted unbelievers likewise understand who He is by His works: A great teacher and prophet from God, but not the Son of God come in the flesh and risen from the dead.

Not even His own disciples believed on Him at the cross, despite having confessed Him both Christ and Son by His earthly ministry.

And none of them were saved by His death at the cross, but by His resurrection from the dead three days later, and confessing Him Lord Jesus.

Rom 10:9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

No person believing Jesus is risen from the dead and confessing Him Lord, must also believe and confess from the heart any teaching about such things as main works and water baptism, in order to be saved.

Luk 15:4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

So, Jesus is speaking of other shepherds, not of Himself. Afterall, He doesn't so much as lose one of them.

If one has escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires then they are partaking of the divine nature and regenerated.
Only by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. There was no regeneration.

Psa 51:3For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

There was repentance and forgiveness of sins, but not washing them away by the blood of the Lamb, with a new pure conscience toward God.

Psa 51:9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

This has been the heart's desire of the repented righteous, that could not be fuflilled unto Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again on the third day.

If one becomes entangled therein again then they have degenerated.
True. With the latter end being worse than the first.
We didn't die the first time before we were born, therefore we not born dead in our trespasses because there were no trespasses committed to die in, yet.
Exactly. Every soul is still created by Christ in His image, and born into the world lightened by Him.

Spiritual death and spiritual birth can happen many times. Same with re/degeneration.
True. Beginning with being generated pure of heart from the womb,

Isa 44:2Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, which will help thee; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen.

And having done neither good nor evil,

Rom 9:11(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

And since all have sinned after being created and come into the world, beginning with Adam, all have degenerated in death and separation from God.

All believers preaching sin nature from birth, are not only ignorantly accusing Christ of creating sinners in the womb.

But some are doing so to justify their continued sinning with the flesh, by being the 'sinful' body's fault, or at least being partly responsible for what we do with the body.

Funny, while many chastice their bodies for being sinful, I never here them honoring their bodies for doing good. Why is that? The body always gets the bad rap, while it's their souls that get the good rep.

True. The regenerate/degenerate cycle of a double heart, may tempt the Lord to give us up to a reprobate mind, with no possibility of repentance, without conviction of the Spirit of grace to lead us back to God.

I've at least one believer that fully swallowed the lie of already being forgiven of present and future sins. He talked openly about fornicating again, because he knew he would already be forgiven again.

Rom 1:21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened...Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:...Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Back