Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Jesus is not YHVH

(Barth said--He is also called by the same name as his Father, and indeed is the "everlasting father," according to Isaiah.

I'd be interested in seeing that, and discussing this one further.

The earliest instance is in Mark 1:3:
At least the New Living Translation uses the Tetragramatton, "LORD" (=YHWH/Jehovah) here:
“Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
and he will prepare your way.
He is a voice shouting in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the LORD's coming! [italics emphasis is added here]
Clear the road for him!’”

And Isaiah 9:6 has,
"For a child is born to us,
a son is given to us.
The government will rest on his shoulders.
And he will be called:
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." [italics emphasis is added here]

(Barth said--He is also called by the same name as his Father, and indeed is the "everlasting father," according to Isaiah.

The earliest instance is in Mark 1:3:
At least the New Living Translation uses the Tetragramatton, "LORD" (=YHWH/Jehovah) here:
“Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
and he will prepare your way.
He is a voice shouting in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the LORD's coming! [italics emphasis is added here]
Clear the road for him!’”

And Isaiah 9:6 has,
"For a child is born to us,
a son is given to us.
The government will rest on his shoulders.
And he will be called:
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." [italics emphasis is added here]

The New American Standard Bible also uses "LORD," here.

Any time LORD appears in all-caps, it's the modern vernacular for YHWH (Yahweh). They started this tradition because the name, "YHWH" was thought too holy to be uttered.

The word Yahweh does not appear in the bible.

YHWH, is the Hebrew "Four letters", and was styled as such by God through Moses so as not to pronounce it.

There is no way to pronounce four consonants.

YHWH, is the Hebrew rendering for Lord.

Yahweh is a man made word.

The New Testament reveals that Jesus Christ is LORD, who became flesh, and died in our place for our sins and is our Savior.

11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Titus 2:11-14

Jesus Christ is our great God and Savior.

For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior; Isaiah 43:3

Jesus Christ is YHWH.

The burden of the word of the Lord against Israel. Thus says the Lord, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him: “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Zechariah 12:1,10

JLB

YHWH, is the Hebrew "Four letters", and was styled as such by God through Moses so as not to pronounce it.

The New Testament reveals that Jesus Christ is LORD, who became flesh, and died in our place for our sins and is our Savior.close.

Sorry, but that's not even close. In fact, the Hebrew alphabet doesn't include any audible vowels at all because all vowel sounds are determined directly by the context. Read the included introduction (by the translators) to your Bible and it will tell you precisely that LORD is YHWH, and Lord is Adonai (Lord).

The New Testament reveals that Jesus Christ is LORD, who became flesh, and died in our place for our sins and is our Savior.

11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Titus 2:11-14

Jesus Christ is YHWH.

The burden of the word of the Lord against Israel. Thus says the Lord, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him: “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Zechariah 12:1,10

JLB

Sorry, but that's not even close. In fact, the Hebrew alphabet doesn't include any audible vowels at all because all vowel sounds are determined directly by the context. Read the included introduction (by the translators) to your Bible and it will tell you precisely that LORD is YHWH, and Lord is Adonai (Lord).

Okay, I've answered. Now I'm not going to argue.

The New Testament reveals that Jesus Christ is LORD, who became flesh, and died in our place for our sins and is our Savior.close.

1. YHWH, is the Hebrew "Four letters", and was styled as such by God through Moses so as not to pronounce it.
  2. There is no way to pronounce four consonants.
  3. YHWH, is the Hebrew rendering for LORD, not Yahweh.
  4. Yahweh is a man made word.
  5. The New Testament reveals that Jesus Christ is LORD, who became flesh, and died in our place for our sins and is our Savior.

Which one of these statements do you disagree with?

JLB

1. YHWH, is the Hebrew "Four letters", and was styled as such by God through Moses so as not to pronounce it.
  5. The New Testament reveals that Jesus Christ is LORD, who became flesh, and died in our place for our sins and is our Savior.

JLB
This is the Hebrew alphabet: http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Grammar/Unit_One/Aleph-Bet/aleph-bet.html
The original Hebrew Scriptures (not just Moses) didn't have ANY vowels because the vowel sounds are implied, not in the script at all. The reader of the Hebrew script whether you're talking about YHWH or any other Hebrew name, or term, must determine the vowels sounds from the context. The fact that YHWH has no vowels has nothing to do with it. None of the Hebrew words have vowels. They are implied by the context as the texts are read.

JLB

I disagree with every one of them.

1. Ancient Hebrew texts were read by ancient Hebrews even though they had no vowel points. Did Yahweh intend for the entire "Old Testament" to not be pronounced while reading it? Obviously not. This point is your man-made assumption.
2. They are not "four consonants", but four vowels:
"A mitre also of fine linen encompassed his head, which was tied by a blue ribband, about which there was another golden crown, in which was engraved the sacred name...: it consist of four vowels." The Works of Flavius Josephus, Book V, Ch. V, Wars of the Jews, sec. 7.
3. No. You have it backwards. "LORD" is the English rendering of "YHWH". Hebrew is not rendered after English.
4. "Yahweh" is the transliteration of "YHWH" just as "Satan" is the transliteration of "STN".
5. The ToS forbids me to address this point.​

1. Ancient Hebrew texts were read by ancient Hebrews even though they had no vowel points. Did Yahweh intend for the entire "Old Testament" to not be pronounced while reading it? Obviously not. This point is your man-made assumption.
2. They are not "four consonants", but four vowels:
"A mitre also of fine linen encompassed his head, which was tied by a blue ribband, about which there was another golden crown, in which was engraved the sacred name...: it consist of four vowels." The Works of Flavius Josephus, Book V, Ch. V, Wars of the Jews, sec. 7.
3. No. You have it backwards. "LORD" is the English rendering of "YHWH". Hebrew is not rendered after English.
4. "Yahweh" is the transliteration of "YHWH" just as "Satan" is the transliteration of "STN".
5. The ToS forbids me to address this point.​

How many letters does YHWH have?

The tetragrammaton (from Greekτετραγράμματον, meaning "(consisting) of four letters")

When men decide what the "implied" context is, they come up with these two transliterations: Yahweh or Jehovah.

Which one of these man inspired transliterations are correct in your view?

JLB

This is the Hebrew alphabet: http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Grammar/Unit_One/Aleph-Bet/aleph-bet.html
The original Hebrew Scriptures (not just Moses) didn't have ANY vowels because the vowel sounds are implied, not in the script at all. The reader of the Hebrew script whether you're talking about YHWH or any other Hebrew name, or term, must determine the vowels sounds from the context. The fact that YHWH has no vowels has nothing to do with it. None of the Hebrew words have vowels. They are implied by the context as the texts are read.

How many letters does YHWH have?

The tetragrammaton (from Greekτετραγράμματον, meaning "(consisting) of four letters")

When men decide what the "implied" context is, they come up with these two transliterations: Yahweh or Jehovah.

Which one of these man inspired transliterations are correct in your view?

JLB

Which one of these statements do you disagree with? Why? Please use scripture.

JLB

1. The New Testament reveals that Jesus Christ is LORD, who became flesh, and died in our place for our sins and is our Savior.

If you disagree that Jesus Christ dies for our sins and is our Savior, then who is your Savior?

Here is what I base my statements on from the New Testament and the Old Testament.

Jesus Christ is the Lord God of the OT who became flesh, and is the Mediator of the New Covenant.

JLB

Jesus Christ is YHWH.

JLB
JLB,
Can you show me the ancient Hebrew vowels?

JLB,

Do you read Hebrew?

11db669f15d46ea5d6effaa2881bd46b.gif

JLB,

Here is also some English for you to consider -

12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.” Revelation 22:12-13

Back