Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Lukewarm believers and faith

that your idea that sin excludes the believer from God's kingdom and family
Exclusion of sin from God's fellowship was made known from the beginning, when the first son of God Adam transgressed, and became the first child of disobedience on earth.

The doctrine that sin does not separate oneself from God, is from a Christ accepting sin, not Jesus Christ.

1Jo 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1Jo 3:5And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

There is no sin in the Head Christ Jesus, nor in His body. He has no sinning members on earth justified by Him.

Mat 5:29And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Some naming Christ can certainly be trespassers amidst the churches of God, but not justified in His holy temple on earth.

Why, then, do you espouse such a clearly erroneous idea about sin and the believer?
I'm not the one preaching for sinning believers. I only preach for nonsinning saints.

Nowhere in the chapter does he predicate the continued adoption of the sinful Corinthian believers into God's family on their repentance from their sin.
Being born again into the family of God is by repentance from sinning. Continuing in the family of God is by not repenting of past repentance.

2 Cor 7:10For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of:

People can repent of doing good, and return to evil, as well as repenting of doing evil, and return to doing good.

Eze 18:21But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Eze 3:20Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Teaching sin does not separate us from God, and doing righteousness is not necessary to continue with God, doesn't teach being a righteous man in deed and truth, much less gives any sort of warning against turning from righteousness to die not.

Instead, he just points out repeatedly the incongruity of their sinful conduct with their identity as in-Christ children of God.
Now it's identity Christianity being preached. Naming Christ to identify with Christ, does not a born son of God make...

Neither does naming Allah to identify with Mohammed...

I believe this chimes with some Christians that teach only those who ceasing to even name Christ anymore, are certainly not saved believers in Christ Jesus.

A very low bar to be sure, but still some sort of low bar, for them that preach repentance in general to sin less, but never sin not.

And, again, the apostle John has the same view as Paul about the fact that saints do sin:

1 John 1:8
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
Which is not preaching saints do sin, but only if we sin.

Only Christian sinners talk about the fact that they do sin. And so they always speak of when they sin, never if.

Matth 12:37For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

So it is that your sinless perfection view diverges widely from Scripture.
The sinless perfection view of perfecting the nonsinning saints, is a lie made about Christ perfecting the obedience of His brethren, even as He was perfected in obedience on earth.

Heb{5:8} Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; {5:9} And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

They seek to discredit and denounce whole hearted obedience toward God on earth, by elevating it to some sort of claim to be as God on the throne, who cannot even be temted with sin.

Jas 1:13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

And yet, there are Christian sinners that prophecy themselves already forever 'spirit' resurrected in heavenly places, who never also preach having the Son's sinless perfection in heaven.

The deceit, like that of New Agers, is somehow being made spiritually perfect on high, while remaining corrupt in works on earth.

It just burdens you and those upon whom you would impose it
I have no thought whatsoever of converting wilfull Christian sinners trusting in their own faith alone to justify themselves with Christ. Much less impose it on them. I am not a proselytizer.

Responding to teaching of others with my own by Scripture, is only an imposition to them that hate being disagreed with, much less corrected.

with falsehood, fear, legalism
The command of repentance from all transgressions, is only a fear and terror to them that repent not.

Heb 10:26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences

and deep hypocrisy and keeps you far from the God of grace, love, patience and faithfulness that the Bible describes.
The grace, love, and faithfulness of sinning some more without condemnation, keeps me from desiring nor believing it.

I've been double hearted in my faith toward God, but I never seduce myself into beleiving I am justified only by what I believe, while doing unrighteousness with the unbelievers:

1 Cor 6:9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Even as an unrepentive sinner, I never believed I wasn't condemned by God the same as anyone else, that was doing unrighteous things against God and man.

As a Christian, I have never even entertained justification by faith alone. And the more I see it preached in all it's mysterious grandeur, I stay far far away from that undying worm that digs unceasingly through any and all Scripture, for more and more ways to believe it.

This is just another false dichotomy unsupported by God's word. No born-again believer willfully maintains a life of sin;
No born again believing saint wilfully sins, much less maintains it.

Only Christian sinners preach wilfully sinning in the faith, to never maintain doing good.

Moral relativism includes preaching a difference between being saved with committing sin vs being unjustified by committing 'too much' sin. As with repentance only on the whole, they make justification only by infrequency of sin.

And who are the judges of that line of frequency? The Christian sinners themselves, of course.

And I've never heard any of them preaching a justifying difference between some sin and too much sin, ever once say their own sinning was frequent enough to be condemned as unjustifiable committment.

Moral relativism includes comparing oneself with another, in order to justify our own sinful deeds as opposed to the frequency of others.

2Co 10:12For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

And, as usual, it's not a mistake that them preaching their repentance in general, do not also preach their salvation and justification also being only in general.

Consistency demands both be preached, not just one in general, but the other in entirety. The same for repentance preached only gradually in time, while justification is claimed completely all at once.

Gal 2:17But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

, they can't truthfully claim to be utterly sin-free in their daily living, either.
Of course not. They claim the opposite. Utterly sinning in their daily living.

No born-again believer willfully maintains a life of sin; but, they can't truthfully claim to be utterly sin-free in their daily living, either.
And so we see the lukewarm preaching of doing good and evil: Maintaining neither good works nor evil works, but only maintaing both together.

Rev{3:15} I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. {3:16} So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Titus 3:8This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Positionally, in Christ, Christians are fully justified and sanctified (1 Corinthians 1:30), but this spiritual condition will take a lifetime of learning and training to manifest in a significant (but never perfect) degree in the believer's daily, practical living.
Words sown really swell. Other than perhaps a missed comma, it's grammatically flawless.

Gen 3:7And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Takes practice to be so well learned in letters.

Jhn 7:15And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

Positionally, in Christ,
Positionally is euphemism for ideally, but not really. It's a positional stance made to identify with, but not do it. Like getting a fishing license for fishermen, but only hanging out with them to identify, not to fish.

Hearers only are agreers only, not doers of the truth. Lukewarm hearers are doers of both the word of righteousness and unrighteousness. Positionally they maintain neither, but in works they identify with both.

They take the position of only identifying with the good, while not ruling out the evil.

Christians are fully justified and sanctified (1 Corinthians 1:30),but this spiritual condition
Justification by faith alone for sanctification of spirit alone.

No man is spiritually pure and outwardly corrupt.

1Jo 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
will take a lifetime of learning and training to manifest in a significant (but never perfect): degree in the believer's daily, practical living.
Gradual sanctification by lukewarm repentance, is certaintly to sin less than before, but never not sinning daily.

Rom 10:16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report.

Rom 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

2Co 7:1Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Eph 4:11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Preaching a well-crafted message of sinning less, but ye shall never sin not, does not qualify at all for the perfecting of the saints in the fear and holiness of the Lord.

Strong in lukewarmness, yes. In holiness, no.

1Jo 2:14 I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

1 John 5:18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

??? Where is the phrase "cut off" in Isaiah 59:2? Nowhere.
1 Tim 6:3If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words...

Heb 7:26For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

God is always separated from sinful men and angels that rebel and disobey Him.

Isa 59:2But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

And the Scripture declares it is the disobedient, that do their own cutting off of themselves from Jesus Christ.

The command to repent only applies to doing evil, not to doing good. Sons of God are made all new and pure from lust of heart and sin and trespass. Sons are commanded to continue in the faith of obedience to the Son and the Father, and fall not to temptation and sin as the children of disobedience.

1 John{2:29} If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

3 John{1:11} Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

No man doing unrighteousness and evil is born of God, whether Jew or Greek.

As the Bible plainly shows, the born-again person is placed in a new spiritual position "in Christ" the moment they are saved. But this spiritual position doesn't translate into an instantly perfected practical condition. It is the project of spiritual maturation, of spiritual growth, to bring the believer's spiritual position and their daily condition closer and closer together. But there will never be, this side of the grave, perfect alignment of these two things.

As a baby grows, it learns to walk, and enlarges, changes what it eats, what interests it and begins to talk, etc. But, as a baby, it will clamor and complain, poop its pants, barf on others, scream if it doesn't get its way, and carry on in a selfish, messy, noisy manner. This doesn't mean the baby isn't a human being that will, in time, grow into a mature, self-sufficient, strong adult. No, it just means the baby is just at the front end of the continuum of change it will pass through to adulthood.

You, though, seem to think the spiritual newborn ought to be carrying on exactly like a spiritual adult, that the spiritual baby ought to be eating meat, and walking about stably and strongly, as a spiritual adult does, without the stumbling, messy process - especially early on - that is an unavoidable part of the growth process. But just as it is irrational to expect a human baby to behave as an adult, it is irrational to expect a spiritual baby to carry on as a spiritual adult. Before maturity, there is a necessary maturation process in both cases. As I've shown from God's word, this is the normal state-of-affairs for a child of God. Why are you denying what Scripture so plainly and repeatedly indicates?

Fair enough. Sinners that blame their flesh, or hold it in part responsible for their sinning, but never give their bodies any credit, nor responsibility for when they do something good.

When they sin, they say the flesh is sinful and to blamed, but when they do good, they do not say the flesh is good and to be thanked.

??? But what does the Bible say?

Galatians 6:7-8
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption...

Galatians 5:17
17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

Romans 7:18
18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.

Romans 8:8
8 Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Philippians 3:3
3 ...have no confidence in the flesh.

It's the soul-separation doctrine of some Christians justifying themselves by faith alone.

Christians are justified by faith in Jesus Christ. It is the object of their faith, not their faith itself, that justifies them. This, the Bible makes crystal clear.

1 Corinthians 1:30
30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, justification and sanctification and redemption,

Romans 3:23-24
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,

Romans 3:25-28
25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.
26 It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
27 Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith.
28 For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

Romans 5:8-9
8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

1 Corinthians 6:11
11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

It is neither the believer's works nor their faith that justifies them but the One in whom they trust: Jesus Christ.

They say the body is the old man that does all the sinning, and the believer is no more the one committing the sins, and so are not condemned for the sins of the body.

Well, some may say this, but I'm not. The Old Self is the ultimate source of all a believer's sin, as Paul explained in Romans 6:6, but this fact doesn't mean the believer is not responsible for their sin. They most certainly are. But their sin doesn't fracture or dissolve their relationship to God, only their fellowship with Him. This is the terrible price the born-again person pays when they sin. They aren't, though, condemned to hell by their sin, as the non-believer is; the sinning Christian doesn't stand under the wrath of God under which the unredeemed person stands (John 3:36). They will be hardened by sin (Hebrews 3:13), yes, and blinded and deafened by it, too, and they cannot enjoy intimate communion with God while caught in sin (1 John 1:6), but their adoption into God's family is inviolate, grounded in Christ, as it is (Hebrews 13:5; Romans 8:31-39; John 10:27-29).

Romans 7 is revealing the inner wretchedness of the double hearted in the faith.

This statement here just ignores everything I pointed out from the grammar of the passage. Why is this? It seems to me, your talking past what I showed, tacitly acknowledges that it's true but you have no answer except to resort to contradiction again.

Continued below.

Paul cannot be speaking of himself at the time, because all Scripture is written only by holy men of God, not by doubleminded sinners. Paul may be speaking of his own past in the present tense, but not of himself while writing a Scriptural record of it by the Holy Spirit.

But the passage actually shows that you're entirely wrong. Just look at it. Paul spoke of himself very plainly and of a situation that was current for him. It makes no sense whatever for Paul to speak of a past circumstance in the present tense. Why wouldn't he just use the past tense and avoid all confusion, as he does in other instances in his writings? Well, obviously, because he wasn't describing a past state-of-affairs, which he plainly states!

Romans 7:15-20
15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.
16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good.
17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.
19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.
20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Do you see at all the price you're paying here for holding a false doctrine? Your error is forcing you to deny the plain statement of God's word in order to maintain it. Yikes. In how many other instances are you having to do this to wrest God's Truth to your mistaken view? Many, as our exchange has revealed.

If Paul were encountering episodes of his own will while writting, then all his recorded writings would not be Scripture of God.

No, it simply means he, like the rest of us, is a sinner saved by grace, and in need at all times to be under the control of the Holy Spirit and thus filled with his life and power. Which is what Paul goes on to explain in the very next chapter.

The only possible reason for sin is lust in the heart. The only possible reason for continued sinning is unrepentance with a heart of lust.

The only possible way to be doing both good and evil, knowing we ought only do good, is by double heartedness.

Just more bald-faced contradiction.

If we are justified of Christ while sinning, then that Christ aproves the sinning.

Gal 2:17But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

Which is not Jesus Christ, nor includes me.

Understand the verse in its immediate context. When you do, you'll see the verse does not mean at all what you're trying make it mean.

Galatians 2:15-21
15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners;
16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.
17 But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not!

What is Paul saying in verse 17? Well, he is referring to verse 15 where he described how the Jews saw themselves relative to the Gentiles. As children of the Mosaic Covenant, the obediently circumcised, they were "the righteous" and the Gentiles, outside of the Covenant and uncircumcised, were "the sinners." But Paul shoots down this thinking, pointing out that the Christian Jew is not justified by their obedience to God's commands, but by faith in Jesus Christ.

Does this mean the Christian Jew could throw off righteousness and be found a sinner, like the Gentiles? No, Paul says, the Jewish believer died to the of law but not to God Himself, and so, while they shouldn't rebuild the OT law-keeping standard as Christians, they shouldn't they become antinomians, either.

18 For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor.
19 For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God.

What does it mean to "live unto God"? Paul explained in his letter to the Romans:

Romans 8:1-4
1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.
3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,
4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

So, the Christian person - Jew or Gentile - is freed from the condemnation of God's law, not so that they can live a life of sin, but in order to live a life that fulfills, not the letter of the law (Romans 7:6), but its righteousness.

20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

Paul explains here that the grace of God is actually nullified by thinking that justification happens through law-keeping. Instead, the Christian person, like Paul, ought to see themselves as described in verse 20, by the life and power of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9), living a holy life. It is his life and work in the believer that makes them righteous, not their careful obedience to God's commands which can never be good enough to satisfy God.

Anyway, I'm not going to write any more in this thread since I've offered more than enough Scripture, and explanation of it, to demonstrate the error of your view.

Would you heed that warning ?
I would not heed the warning of someone who thinks they no longer sin---no. Warnings are in the Bible for a reason. But if someone in self-righteousness begins to say things to others that they think they have "risen above" in their own minds, we are to beware. When I read the Word of God there is no place in it that says we will hit a point where we no longer sin. We will sin less and less as the Spirit guides us as His children, and we walk more in the Spirit and allow the Spirit to change us. But according to 1 John we are sinners until we die. That is why we need an advocate. That is why we need a Savior, and why we rely on God's mercy all of our days. To say "I no longer sin" means you no longer need God's mercy or Grace---you think you are fine on your own. That is a great deception and something to greatly beware.

As I already pointed out, Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15 extend to all believers who stand upon the spiritual foundation of Christ
To all ministers that build upon the foundation of Christ.

And false ministers build a spirit-only house upon a spirit-only foundation of another spirit and Christ.

There is no standing on the spiritual foundation, that is not walking with feet on holy ground.

and who, in their daily living, "build" upon that foundation either with "wood, hay, and stubble" or "gold, silver and precious stones."
Daily ministry, not living. Some live how they minister, and some do not, but nevertheless,

2Ti 2:19 The foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Collosians{3:23} And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; {3:24} Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. {3:25} But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

Good works maintained unto the end are rewarded with the inheritance of resurrection unto life. Bad works continued to the grave, are rewarded with the sinners of the earth.They are judged at the judgement seat of Christ.

Eph{6:7} Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. {6:8} For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

I understand how inconvenient this passage is to your sinless perfection view and why it's necessary for you to deny the universality of its plain declaration, but warping God's word to serve your false, preconceived ideas is a very dangerous practice.
A dispute in Scriptural truth, is not scarry. Some can certainly make it personal, but it's water off a duck's back with me.

1Pe 3:14But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

I would not heed the warning of someone who thinks they no longer sin---no. Warnings are in the Bible for a reason. But if someone in self-righteousness begins to say things to others that they think they have "risen above" in their own minds, we are to beware. When I read the Word of God there is no place in it that says we will hit a point where we no longer sin. We will sin less and less as the Spirit guides us as His children, and we walk more in the Spirit and allow the Spirit to change us. But according to 1 John we are sinners until we die. That is why we need an advocate. That is why we need a Savior, and why we rely on God's mercy all of our days. To say "I no longer sin" means you no longer need God's mercy or Grace---you think you are fine on your own. That is a great deception and something to greatly beware.
A man recently announced something in front of two groups of people. Here was the reaction:

First Group: ( At a Comedy Club):
Man: "I haven't sinned for 13 years".
Crowd: (Uproarious laughter)! Voice in crowd: "yeah, right!" (more laughter).
Man: "Why are you laughing?"
Man in crowd: "You mean you're serious?? You mean to tell us you haven't sinned or had at least one sinful thought in your mind for 13 years???
Man: "That's correct. I fully repented and haven't sinned in 13 years."
(more uproarious laughter).

True, this is a group probably with a large percentage being unbelievers. But even unbelievers, as dead as they are to the seriousness of their sins, know that a statement like the one made by this man is purely ridiculous.

Second Group: (at a Bible believing Church):
Man: "I haven't sinned in 13 years".
Church attendees (Uproarious laughter)! Member of church: "yeah, right! (more laughter).
Pastor (now standing): "You mean you're serious?? You mean to tell all of us here you haven't sinned or had one sinful thought in your mind for 13 years??"
Man: "That's correct. I fully repented and haven't sinned in 13 years".
(Silence. A lot of head-shaking in the audience).
Pastor: "My friend, you are greatly deceived. You need to read 1 John 1 and think about it seriously. We will be praying for you".

Good works maintained unto the end are reward with the inheritance of resurrection unto life. Bad works continued to the grave, are rewarded with the sinful inhabitors of the earth.They are judged at the judgement seat of Christ.
The only reason that is true is because only those who are already justified in Christ can do good works and those who aren't, can't. In other words, their works are evidence of whether or not they are justified; the works themselves do not justify anyone.

Believers' works are judged, but it will not determine whether or not they get into heaven, it only determines the level of reward:

1Co 3:12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—
1Co 3:13 each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.
1Co 3:14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. (ESV)

That's a misnomer. In judging our works Christ is judging our faith.
Which judges our hearts. The double hearted want to claim a faith inwardly, not being done outwardly.

Rom 10:10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

The hearts of saints believe in doing the righteousness of God. The hearts of sinners believe in sinning. The works tell the tale.
If judgment was purely by "works," then people could start and stop them,
Scripture never says judgment nor justification is by works alone, even as judgment and sanctification is not by faith alone.

All works of men created in the image of God are first spiritual, and also with the natural body. Our works are judged inwardly first, and also outwardly.

Mat 5:28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Mat 23:26Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
1Co 13:3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

The works of the world without the faith and love of Jesus Christ, whether outwardly good or bad, are all judged unrighteous by the Spirit of Christ.

Isa 64:6But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Jesus Christ comes to call sinners to repent of all outward dead works, that He may take away lust from the heart. Only then can we do the righteous works of sons, that are justified by God and the Father.

Heb 4:10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Gal 2:20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Mat 5:20For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The righteousness of saints in Christ Jesus is greater than the outward righteousness of Pharisees, because the heart is first circumcised of the Spirit, and sprinkled clean in the blood of the Lamb of God. Only then are our outward works judged righteous as the Son is righteous:

1 John{3:7} Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous

trusting in a false principle of "grace" rather than in a complete commitment to Christ.

God's grace is help in time of need not to sin by temptation. False grace is a doctrinal cover for sins not to be judged unrighteous.

Jhn 15:22If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

Mat 23:25Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Rom 2:28For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Yes, that's the point I was making, that good works and evil works do not get covered by "grace." They reflect an incomplete commitment, which is not acceptable for Salvation.

Exactly. Anyone committing sin is not committed to Jesus Christ.

2Co 5:9Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

No one committing sin, is not committed to the devil.

1Jo 3:8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

But I agree with the gist of your post. A true commitment to Christ is actually a commitment *only to the good,* and *only to the will of God.*
Amen.

Rom 10:9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
The only faith toward God that saves, is that which believes from the heart to do His righteousness. The faith that preaches continued sinning, therefore cannot possibly be the faith of Jesus Christ, that freely saves the soul from sinning.

The saving faith of Jesus Christ is only given to them that repent of all their unrighteousnesses.

Heb {6:1} Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
God does not give His gift of grace and faith to do righteousness, to any soul that is hardened to repent not of committing sin. That includes them that only half-heartedly repent, according to the own faith and will alone.

Ezek 18:31Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Jerem 3:10And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.

Hosea{7:8} Ephraim, he hath mixed himself among the people; Ephraim is a cake not turned.

Rev{3:15} I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. {3:16} So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

It is a commitment to die to ourselves and to live only according to Christ. Good word!
Praise the Lord. So many Christians sinners want to talk about Jesus' work on the cross, but not our own cross He commands to take up for His sake.

Mar 8:34And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

No soul is saved by Jesus' death on a cross, without first taking up our on cross for His sake.

They say things like trusting in His work on the cross alone. Or, only trusting in His finished work of the cross, without anything done on our part to be saved. It sounds full of trust and humility, but only leads to continued ungodly sinning among them naming Christ.

Col 2:18Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Rom 16:18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Jesus Christ wholly died for our sins on His cross, for our sakes. We must wholly die to our sins on our cross for His sake.

Gal 2:20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Lukewarm repentance is lip service to being crucified with Christ.

The victoriously risen Lord demands only unconditional surrender from all His enemies that slew Him:

Psa 110:1The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

No man is saved by Jesus' death alone, but only by our own death to sin at His resurrection with power.

Rom 10:9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

1 Peter{1:3} Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

God's grace is help in time of need not to sin by temptation. False grace is a doctrinal cover for sins not to be judged unrighteous.

Jhn 15:22If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

Mat 23:25Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Rom 2:28For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

2Co 5:9Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

1Jo 3:8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Amen.

The only faith toward God that saves, is that which believes from the heart to do His righteousness. The faith that preaches continued sinning, therefore cannot possibly be the faith of Jesus Christ, that freely saves the soul from sinning.

The saving faith of Jesus Christ is only given to them that repent of all their unrighteousnesses.

Heb {6:1} Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
God does not give His gift of grace and faith to do righteousness, to any soul that is hardened to repent not of committing sin. That includes them that only half-heartedly repent, according to the own faith and will alone.

Ezek 18:31Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Jerem 3:10And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.

Hosea{7:8} Ephraim, he hath mixed himself among the people; Ephraim is a cake not turned.

Praise the Lord. So many Christians sinners want to talk about Jesus' work on the cross, but not our own cross He commands to take up for His sake.

Mar 8:34And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

No soul is saved by Jesus' death on a cross, without first taking up our on cross for His sake.

They say things like trusting in His work on the cross alone. Or, only trusting in His finished work of the cross, without anything done on our part to be saved. It sounds full of trust and humility, but only leads to continued ungodly sinning among them naming Christ.

Col 2:18Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Rom 16:18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
Jesus Christ wholly died for our sins on His cross, for our sakes. We must wholly die to our sins on our cross for His sake.

Lukewarm repentance is lip service to being crucified with Christ.

The victoriously risen Lord demands only unconditional surrender from all His enemies that slew Him:

Psa 110:1The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

No man is saved by Jesus' death alone, but only by our own death to sin at His resurrection with power.

1 Peter{1:3} Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
"No man is saved by Jesus' death alone, but only by our own death to sin at His resurrection with power."

Wow---I am at a loss for words. That is complete heresy.

I want to be clear. A good Christian needs to obey the Lord, and not just accept Christ as Savior. A bad Christian can get into Heaven too, which does take place by Grace. Other than that we are agreed on the importance it is for Christians to follow up their commitment to Christ by obeying him.

Man: "I haven't sinned in 13 years".
Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Man in crowd: "You mean you're serious?? You mean to tell us you haven't sinned or had at least one sinful thought in your mind for 13 years???
Heb 4:15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Sinful thoughts are not sinning. Lusting to do them is sinning.

Jas 1:14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Jas 1:13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Only the resurrected Son on the throne is no more tempted in any way. All His brethren on earth are being tempted and tried in obedience, even as the Son Himself.

Heb{5:8} Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; {5:9} And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Confusing the perfecting of the saints in obedience on earth, with Jesus Christ now set on the throne in heaven, is sometimes by ignorance of the unskilled in the word of righteousness, but at other times is wilfull to justify the unperfecting disobedient.

Pastor: "My friend, you are greatly deceived. You need to read 1 John 1 and think about it seriously. We will be praying for you".
Praying for friends to continue sinning, and never forget to be a sinner and say so, with the rest of the sinner friends.

Zec 13:6And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.
Jas 4:4Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Crowd: (Uproarious laughter)! Voice in crowd: "yeah, right!" (more laughter).
True, this is a group probably with a large percentage being unbelievers. But even unbelievers, as dead as they are to the seriousness of their sins, know that a statement like the one made by this man is purely ridiculous.
Some Christians sinners have more than sinning in common with some sinful unbelievers.

2Pe 3:3Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
Psa 11:2For, lo, the wicked bend their bow, they make ready their arrow upon the string, that they may privily shoot at the upright in heart. If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

Neither brag about not sinning, nor mock sinning not.

Jhn 5:14Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

1Jo 2:1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.
Jesus Christ' command is that we sin not, lest a worse thing come to us to do, such as laughing at keeping the righteous command.

Church attendees (Uproarious laughter)! Member of church: "yeah, right! (more laughter).

It's one thing for the world to mock not sinning with the world, but to do so in the name of Christ.

Matth 12:37For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned…for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

And laughs...

6. Do not use phrases such as, “You’re wrong,” or any other similar phrase. This is insulting and inappropriate and there are nicer ways to disagree without being insulting.
"No man is saved by Jesus' death alone, but only by our own death to sin at His resurrection with power."
All sinners are guilty at the cross of shedding the innocent blood of the Son of God.

Mar 14:64Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

Rom 3:19Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

No sinner is made righteous and born of God at the cross of Jesus Christ's death.

Only by His resurrection from the dead, may His enemies repent, take up their own cross, and follow Him.

Scripture does preach beleiving from the heart that Jesus Christ died on a cross, but rather from the heart believing He is raised from the dead, with power to condemn all His enemies that crucified Him, and justify all them that repent and are made friends.

Those that continue in their sins and trespasses, are still His unrepented enemies crucifying Him afresh to themselves. Whether it be the cold without repentance, or the lukewarm with half-hearted repentance.

The is the offence of the cross that Christ preaches in Scripture.

Any cross where the righteous die unlawfully, and the unrighteous are justified, is not offensive to any unrepenting world. Though it certainly can insult the intelligence of any responsible sinner at least caring for right rule of law...

Certainly to some Christians sinners, that justify their continued sinning by their own faith alone.

Mat 22:12And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

Act 9:7And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

Last edited:
Obedience to God is not an option, if one has turned from sin and been baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
Obedience to God is impossible without God's grace and mercy.
This is what He had written..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)
Were you unaware of the escapes God promised from temptations ?

Scripture never says judgment nor justification is by works alone, even as judgment and sanctification is not by faith alone.
The Bible clearly teaches that justification is by faith alone. To add works, even good works, is a false gospel.

Tit 3:4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,
Tit 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
Tit 3:6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
Tit 3:7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Tit 3:8 The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people. (ESV)

Doing good works are evidence of having been justified by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. Believers do good works because they love the Father and the Son and want to be obedient. There is not one good work one can do to be justified.

John is talking about those whose lives are characterized by continual, unrepentant sin, not believers who still struggle against the flesh and sin.

Of course, but that is without works.

You are teaching a false gospel.

Gal 1:6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—
Gal 1:7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
Gal 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. (ESV)

In every discussion on this topic, you misrepresent what others believe. That really should stop. You should at least try to understand what others are saying.

Eph 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,
Eph 2:5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christby grace you have been saved
Eph 2:6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
Eph 2:7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
Eph 2:9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (ESV)

We are absolutely saved by Christ's death and resurrection alone. It is in Christ, on the basis of his work, that we put our faith. All of which is a gift from God. Salvation--justification, sanctification, and glorification--is a work of God from start to finish. To add one ounce of work, is to teach a false gospel.

Again, this is a false gospel. Paul's warning in Gal 1:8-9 should not be taken so lightly.

Your whole Christian life is entirely subjective. You think you have repented from all sin.
There are people that still believe after the flood, that there is some sort of justification in numbers. They want to believe it so badly, that they began to say and teach that everyone is like themselves. It's pride to think if we won't do something, that no one else can.

Therefore, my soul and life is not subjective nor subjected to you, nor your doctrine, but only to my Lord Jesus and His words.

2Co 1:24Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

Your happiness and that of others may be helped by being told you can't repent of all your sinning, but not mine.

My joy in Christ and life is only helped by faithfully doing what God commands and promises with obedience:

Acts 17:30And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 3:19Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

And doing as taught by Christ from Scripture, I also know the promises are sure and true, and not things to be disbelieved and/or despised by unrepentance.

Last edited:
Back