Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

MATT 2:34 "This generation will not pass away" ... What did Jesus mean?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Divinyl

I keep encountering this scripture in personal bible study and my only interpretation of it came from the Jehovahs Witnesses whose leadership was humiliated as God promised they always will be, because they got it wrong. They taught me that this period of time Jesus was talking about began in 1914 (WW1) and that generation wouldn't pass away...when it clearly has by now. That teaching led them to predict the end of the world multiple times and they continue to say it's soon.

So, I'm confused. Does "this generation" mean the generation at the time all these things (war, poverty, persecution, false prophets) occured? So it could be now or in the future... I really don't understand this scripture. I figure Jesus wasn't referring to the generation 2,000 years ago when he walked the earth.

Divinly, hello and welcome...

If i said to you you posted in this thread what thread would that be?

If you said to your friend i will be 30 this year would you mean 1900 - 2000 years later?

Tell you child take out this trash what trash would that be?

I believe Jesus was speaking to the generation that had part in His death. The generation that was "this" generation to Him.

I keep encountering this scripture in personal bible study and my only interpretation of it came from the Jehovahs Witnesses whose leadership was humiliated as God promised they always will be, because they got it wrong. They taught me that this period of time Jesus was talking about began in 1914 (WW1) and that generation wouldn't pass away...when it clearly has by now. That teaching led them to predict the end of the world multiple times and they continue to say it's soon.

So, I'm confused. Does "this generation" mean the generation at the time all these things (war, poverty, persecution, false prophets) occured? So it could be now or in the future... I really don't understand this scripture. I figure Jesus wasn't referring to the generation 2,000 years ago when he walked the earth.

Hi, Elijah here. You mean Matt 24:34 perhaps? (seeing that there is no Matt. 2:34)

I find this chapter in future prophecy Eccl. 1:9-10 + Eccl. 3:15 documented to be repeated. And 'This Generation' as 'i' see it means that all of these prophetic happenings the second time around (unless told differently) are THIS GENERATION that is alive & living. Note ibid 14, AND THEN THE END COME! We find that this Gospel did indeed go to the End of the earth. Rom. 10:16 + Col. 1:23 the first time.

And this second time around will find it all being just shortly after, ALL FINISHED!:thumbsup Take note of Dan. 12:1-4 for our generation with the 'time of the end' & the increased knowledge! And it is this knowledge that will have it all wittnesed by satalite TV in world court no doubt, with the Holy Spirit being removed from the Rev. 17:1-5 mass & showered on the ones who have not had the opportunity to hear the truth.

And the 666 Mark of the Beast (Government) will test the world in their last free choice decision of who they will choose, God or satan. (see Matt. 6:24)

And also 'i' find the Matt. 24:21's verse excellerating with all of satan's spiritual hell breaking loose. And as the Holy Spirit is withdrawn from earth, (compare Gen. 6:3) satan is seen in every evil prophesied verse there in chapter 24:21 on, of Matt., check out from verse 21 on.

I figure Jesus wasn't referring to the generation 2,000 years ago when he walked the earth

Why?

Elijah back with you:
With this all being said, let me add Matt. 10:5-6 on to verse 15 & then verse 23 for this last generation? And how does ones KNOWS for sure that this is again to take place the second Eccl. 3:15 repeated time?? It is because Christ was there at the time speaking in verse 5-6 by commandment.

Matt. 10
[5] These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
[6] But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
[14] And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
[15] Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
[23] But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, [[till the Son of man be come]].

And this is the last generation that will not pass until Christ returns Bodly the Second time!:thumbsup:)

MATT 2:34 "This generation will not pass away" ... What did Jesus mean?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Divinyl

Hi, Elijah here. You mean Matt 24:34 perhaps? (seeing that there is no Matt. 2:34)

I find this chapter in future prophecy Eccl. 1:9-10 + Eccl. 3:15 documented to be repeated. And 'This Generation' as 'i' see it means that all of these prophetic happenings the second time around (unless told differently) are THIS GENERATION that is alive & living. Note ibid 14, AND THEN THE END COME! We find that this Gospel did indeed go to the End of the earth. Rom. 10:16 + Col. 1:23 the first time.

And this second time around will find it all being just shortly after, ALL FINISHED!:thumbsup Take note of Dan. 12:1-4 for our generation with the 'time of the end' & the increased knowledge! And it is this knowledge that will have it all wittnesed by satalite TV in world court no doubt, with the Holy Spirit being removed from the Rev. 17:1-5 mass & showered on the ones who have not had the opportunity to hear the truth.

And the 666 Mark of the Beast (Government) will test the world in their last free choice decision of who they will choose, God or satan. (see Matt. 6:24)

And also 'i' find the Matt. 24:21's verse excellerating with all of satan's spiritual hell breaking loose. And as the Holy Spirit is withdrawn from earth, (compare Gen. 6:3) satan is seen in every evil prophesied verse there in chapter 24:21 on, of Matt., check out from verse 21 on.

He was.
Jesus WAS referring to the same generation he, himself, had appearedn.

What he told them was that they would would see his Kingdom come.

It would start with the appearance of the Holy Comforter, which is the Gospel Story that appeared in 54AD when Matthew was written down and first used by the church.

This one solitary single Christian movement and the Church was where Jesus reigned for the next 1000 years, ending with the first Schism of Greek Orthodoxy in 1054AD.
After that, the Beast arose again out of the pit of history in what we call The Renaissance.

It would start with the appearance of the Holy Comforter, which is the Gospel Story that appeared in 54AD when Matthew was written down and first used by the church.

That's not a date that is consistent with any scholarly work on when Matthew was written.

Almost as if you pulled a number out of thin air.

Me again:
Let me clarify: (?):thumbsupChrist was talking to the common folk! (you remember James & John being said of Christ.. 'the son's of thunder'? ex/ones!) And Acts 4:13 is better yet!

Anyway Matt. 24 seems to only be understood by these ones.:chin
Matt.24

[1] And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
[2] And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
[3] And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

[34] Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
[35] Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
[36] But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Sure sound's 'simple' to the simple, huh? Hey, here is another one that I like! Jesus is telling His 'simple' (as in worldy educated pie/R/square ='s 22/7) ones in Matt. 10, in fact by commandment ibid 5-6 to go back to the lost sheep of the 'house' of Israel. [[And take note that He was there around 30AD speaking!]] And in verse 23 He tell's of a Matt. 24 'TIME' of the ENDING of [[THIS GENERATION]] (got that?:sleep)

Matt. 10:23 Christ 'documents' (pay attention!)
[21] And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
[22] And ye shall be hated of [[[all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end]]] shall be saved.
[23] But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

And that generation is still yet future, but not by much as we find [all of these in Matt. 24:21 ALIVE SEEING AT PRESENT IN THIS GENERATION! And this is all taking shape as we speak. And the last repeat of verse 14?? The True everlasting Gospel into all of the world? (with its billions!) Sometimes 'i' wonder what the one's with all of this extra excessive brain stuff think? why did God allows for the Dan. 4:1-4's 'knowledge to be increased in the [LAST DAYS']?? (entertainment, huh?)

No, it can ALL be rapped up in the matter of months through the Eccl. 3:15 required repeats of Acts persecution. And it will be seen of satalite prime time & chanel? 666. See Dan. chapter 3:12-18 + 19 for the professed 'c'hristians.

--Elijah

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep encountering this scripture in personal bible study and my only interpretation of it came from the Jehovah's Witnesses whose leadership was humiliated as God promised they always will be, because they got it wrong. They taught me that this period of time Jesus was talking about began in 1914 (WW1) and that generation wouldn't pass away...when it clearly has by now. That teaching led them to predict the end of the world multiple times and they continue to say it's soon.

So, I'm confused. Does "this generation" mean the generation at the time all these things (war, poverty, persecution, false prophets) occurred? So it could be now or in the future... I really don't understand this scripture. I figure Jesus wasn't referring to the generation 2,000 years ago when he walked the earth.

The verse is Matthew 24:34, and yes, "this generation" is the generation that sees all the things Jesus mentioned in the whole previous part of this chapter. He is referring here to His second coming and the tribulation, spoken of in Revelation.
A generation in this context would be between 50 and 70 years. Acts 13:36 defines a generation, as the time David lived and served God's purpose for His people. David died when he was 70. My generation are all up to around 60 now. It's not accurate, but then I don't think God wants us to be living for a particular day, He just wants us to DAILY live for Him.

This topic often gets wild so, A friendly reminder this is the Bible Study forum...

1. Scripture is the basis of study. Stay close to the text.
2. Keep your post to a manageable length where others can respond to a section of scripture as opposed to an entire article.
3. We encourage your understanding of a text. If you wish to post snipits from a website, please make sure it accompanies your comments of the text. Excessive copy / paste from web sites are frowned upon.
4. If you disagree with an interpretation of scripture, think out your response according to the specific text and post accordingly.
5. No debating doctrines or denominational differences. (E.G. TULIP, OSAS, Purgatory, Papacy etc)

The following considerations are suggested to assist in our study of Holy Scripture. This method utilizes an instructional and comprehensive approach

1. Exegesis; Critical explanation or analysis, especially of a text. (I.E. What does the text mean?)
2. Hermeneutics; The theory and methodology of interpretation, especially of scriptural text. (I.E. How did you come to the conclusion of your Exegesis? Does it agree with the Bible as a whole?)
3. Redaction; to draw up or frame ( I.E. a statement, proclamation, etc.)

Looking to duke it out? Please not here, take it to "end times" Thanks reba

I understand "This generation" as We The Christian Generation. Not single persons or age group. I will give a simple example. Are parables timeless and figurative examples to be applied to everyone at all times? It is important to keep in mind that Vines were very central to Jewish culture and tradition. Why do you think Christ used vines in speaking so much.
Now for the ear turner. Let's put into consideration the parable of the fig tree. What is the significance of the thorn bush? Now how is it that God presented himself to Moses?

I tell people to rest in Jesus today and the next, and so forth. Worry about here and now and there will be no anxieties of end times and math problems.
Matthew 25:13
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
13@#$%Watch ye therefore, because you know not the day nor the hour.

Also consider, if you are wholeheartedly seeking a relationship with Jesus then why bother worrying about the end of days?

Last edited by a moderator:
@friarmat.
sadly in many a church some are told to look things and signs and his coming and the trib without really looking to context and proper exegesis.

that is why i debate it. my pastor, God bless him. said we will be in heaven forever. not in the bible. the bible says we will be on the earth in the last book chapter 21.

I see Matt. 24 with several repeats required. Verses..
[13] But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
[14] And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

...are such verses. endure until the END + and then shall the END come. Verse 14 finds that Christ was 'mistaken' unless this was the truth of Eccl. 3:15 that is from HIS WORD. For the Gospel did indeed go into all of the world & He did not come.

Over in Matt. 10 is some more good Bible study. His own were to be given the message there as seen in verses 5-6. His diciples were sent [only] to the Lost sheep of His ex/house.
And He was there giving His diciples COMMAND ORDERS. Does this also have a dual message, an repeat? Of course, Eccl. 3:15 has required it! Note back in the Matt.10 chapter & verse23...

[20] For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.
[21] And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
[22] And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: [[but he that endureth to the end shall be saved]]. This is whatt 666 is to be all about.

(there is that 'again' endure until the ENDTruth! Yet, remember that Christ was THERE at this remark, speaking! This also is END TIME Prophecy. Now take note of versec 23)
[23] But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, [[till the Son of man be come]].

--Elijah

I think Jesus is talking about the 4th generation....the church age.

Abraham to David - 1st generation.
David until the carrying away into Babylon - 2nd generation.
The carrying away into Babylon unto Christ - 3rd generation.
Christ to the 2nd coming. - 4th generation.

Gen_15:16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
(In the 4th [church age] generation the Amorites will come again.)

Eph_3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
(Christ will dwell in your hearts by faith expressed in 4 [church age] dimensions.)

Mar_8:20 And when the seven among four thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? And they said, Seven.
(4 [church age] thousand feed with 7 baskets [7 churches of Revelation] left over)

Joh 11:17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
(Lazarus [Israel] dead for 4 [church age] years, then resurrected after the 4th [church age] day)

Act 10:30 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,
(Cornelius [Gentile] was fasting 4 [church age] days, then at the ninth hour a man in bright clothing [Jesus Second coming or rapture] appeared to him.

Joh_4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
(4 [church age] months, then comes the harvest.)

Many more proofs involving the number 4 being the church age, but some of them are a little harder to see.

Divinly, hello and welcome...

If i said to you you posted in this thread what thread would that be?

If you said to your friend i will be 30 this year would you mean 1900 - 2000 years later?

Tell you child take out this trash what trash would that be?

I believe Jesus was speaking to the generation that had part in His death. The generation that was "this" generation to Him.

Exactly right.

@friarmat.
sadly in many a church some are told to look things and signs and his coming and the trib without really looking to context and proper exegesis.

that is why i debate it. my pastor, God bless him. said we will be in heaven forever. not in the bible. the bible says we will be on the earth in the last book chapter 21.

Agreed with your point Jason. However, it has been my experience that most who study too hard don't seek from The Master the revealing of himself. I firmly believe that the daily walk presents a wealth of knowledge.
Father, not Friar Matt, I am not part of the Franciscans, Dominicans, Carmelites, or Augustinians. The term for Friar is used most exclusively with those orders.
You and I could hang out and have awesome fellowship my man.

Here Christ condemns His generation for their hypocrisy. He's talking about the way they viewed John the Baptist versus the way they view Him:

"But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children, and say, 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.' "For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon!' "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds." Matthew 11:16-19 (NASB)

"The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. "The Queen of the South will rise up with this generation at the judgment and will condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. Matthew 12:41-42 (NASB)

Jesus is referring to Himself as the "something greater" than Jonah or Solomon.

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, 'If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.' "So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. "Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell? Matthew 23:29-33 (NASB)

Jesus is clearly directing His language here to the scribes and Pharisees who were standing in His presence. Then He tells them this:

"Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. Matthew 23:34-36 (NASB)

There is no question to whom Jesus is addressing here: the scribes and Pharisees who were standing right before Him. Theirs is the generation to which He refers. He tells His disciples the same thing:

"Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. Matthew 24:32-34 (NASB)

In this passage, Jesus has just come from confronting the scribes and Pharisees and Christ tells His disciples the Temple will be torn down (verses 1-4). "All these things" will happen before the generation He has just condemned (the generation of the scribes and Pharisees) passes away.

As the crowds were increasing, He began to say, "This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks for a sign, and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah. "For just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to this generation. Luke 11:29-30 (NASB)

Again, Jesus is speaking to the crowds that were gathering around Him and condemning them for their unbelief. He is speaking to His generation.

And finally...

"But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation. Luke 17:25 (NASB)

Which generation rejected, scourged, and crucified Christ?

There are several more uses of this phrase "this generation" throughout the New Testament and in each and every case the phrase is used to describe the time in which the writer was living.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back