Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Need help with Matthew 16:28

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Leah781

Hi, someone recently showed me this scripture in the bible.
(Matthew 16:28)  Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here who will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his Kingdom.”

They said it had to do with John and implied that John is still alive today. I have never heard this before. Am I missing something.
What do you think this scripture is referring to? I thought it was referring to the transfiguration. Peter, John and James saw in vision Jesus as a glorious heavenly King. Also in Revelation John has a vision of the time of the end and Jesus ruling as King of his heavenly kingdom.
I see this as a symbolic thing. I have never heard of someone who believes that some people who lived in Jesus day are still alive. Am I out of the loop? I really was stunned, when the person told me this.
I would appreciate any comments. Thanks

I have never heard of someone who believes that some people who lived in Jesus day are still alive. Am I out of the loop? I really was stunned, when the person told me this.
This belief has been around for at least 200 yrs. I have read about it in commentaries, commentaries that did not agree with that idea. So it isn't new, more like resurrected.
John Gill's Commentary
"till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom; which is not to be understood of his personal coming in his kingdom in the last day, when he will judge quick and dead; for it cannot be thought, that any then present should live to that time, but all tasted of death long before, as they have done; for the story of John's being alive, and to live till then, is fabulous, and grounded on a mistake which John himself has rectified at the close of his Gospel: "

They said it had to do with John and implied that John is still alive today. I have never heard this before. Am I missing something.
What do you think this scripture is referring to? I thought it was referring to the transfiguration. Peter, John and James saw in vision Jesus as a glorious heavenly King. Also in Revelation John has a vision of the time of the end and Jesus ruling as King of his heavenly kingdom.

For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
(Mat 16:27-28)

Is this the transfiguration? Nope, Jesus was not rewarding everyone according to his works in the Transfiguration.

Is this John seeing the vision of revelation? Nope. Jesus said "SOME" of you, not "ONE" of you.

A very good reason I don't read or care about commentaries. Most of them were not Spirit filled, tongue talking believers anyway, just men trying to figure out things with natural understanding.

The issue is not the scripture. Jesus said, some of you standing here will not taste death and see the Son of man coming in his Kingdom, and reward each man according to His works.

It helps greatly if we don't say something is spiritual, or symbolic when we don't understand it, it's the road to error. Jesus literally means that some standing next to him will not die, and will see him coming at the end.

All cleared up.

Blessings.

A very good reason I don't read or care about commentaries. Most of them were not Spirit filled, tongue talking believers anyway, just men trying to figure out things with natural understanding.
:shame
I think you speak of honorable men that you have no knowledge of their relationships with the Lord or Holy Spirit filling.

(Matthew 16:28)  Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here who will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his Kingdom.”

I see this as a symbolic thing. I have never heard of someone who believes that some people who lived in Jesus day are still alive. Am I out of the loop? I really was stunned, when the person told me this.

I have likened it in the literal sense that some physically standing there would not be killed until they had seen the glory of the Lord in his kingdom. I have for a long time seen the stoning of Stephen in the book of Acts as and example of this statement by Jesus. For just before they stoned him to death, he looked upward and saw the heavens opened and Christ upon the throne, before he said Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.

:shame
I think you speak of honorable men that you have no knowledge of their relationships with the Lord or Holy Spirit filling.

Most of the commentary is just bad.
Sadly, I have a ton of them glued to my e-sword.

Gill: Ooops. Jesus could not actually know what He's talking about, right Gill.
till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom; which is not to be understood of his personal coming in his kingdom in the last day, when he will judge quick and dead; for it cannot be thought, that any then presen

Clark: Just bad. Jesus mention Jewish economy? Where the Angles?
my disciples, shall continue to live until these things take place.” The destruction of Jerusalem, and the Jewish economy, which our Lord here predicts, took place about forty-three years after this: and some of the persons now with him doubtless survived that period, and witnessed the extension of the Messiah’s kingdom;

Barnes: Barns forget the part about Jesus saying He is giving a reward to every man, and where are the angles?
All these apostles, except Judas, lived to see the wonders of the day of Pentecost; some of them, John particularly, saw the Jewish nation scattered, the temple destroyed, the gospel established in Asia, Rome, Greece, and in a large part of the known world.

Robertson: Robertson should have said....... "I don't know"
Some of them that stand here (tines tōn hode hestōtōn). A crux interpretum in reality. Does Jesus refer to the Transfiguration, the Resurrection of Jesus, the great Day of Pentecost, the Destruction of Jerusalem, the Second Coming and Judgment? We do not know, only that

The People's new testament: No angels or rewards mentioned in Acts dude..........
Shall not taste death, till they see the Son of man. The reference is not to his final coming to judge the world, but to his spiritual coming to establish his kingdom. This was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost. Mark (Mar_9:1) shows the

Honorable men as they may be Deborah, no man was given to be many teachers, and even if these guys are clueless, they still pretend they know. That is my Problem with them. "I DON'T KNOW" is a valid answer also, and the one I use.

They are wrong on so many things, that you can't trust anyone's credibility

Seriously Deborah, what Jesus said is right there!!! All you have to do is compare a couple other scriptures, on How Jesus thinks, and words things and it's very easy to see what he is saying. How hard is it to compare scriptures?

I am not buying into the commentary thing,

This may have been in previous posts': I do not know, but I'll give the following scripture that may be of help.

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark is a bit clearer on this.

Mar 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
Mar 9:2 And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

2Pe 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Dear Sister Leah781, I do not know if others covered the following scriptures, but I'll just add it hopefully giving you reason for your belief.

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mar 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
Mar 9:2 And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

2Pe 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Dear Sister Leah781, I do not know if others covered the following scriptures, but I'll just add it hopefully giving you reason for your belief.

Let's go line upon Line as instructed (Deut 28) here a little, there a little.
This is my point to Deborah about those commentaries, they try to cover explinations of all the scriptures, and I never met a man God has given this type of revelation. Even Paul said we know in part. If we are not 100% convinced with a pure heart God has revealed it to us, then telling someone something as if we know is dangerous. It's not pleasing to the Lord at all.

If we say I don't know, but this is what I am thinking, that is a bit different.

Matt 3:16 happened way before Jesus said later in his ministry Matt 16. So it can't be that and we would not mention it.

Mark 9:1 Transfiguration Happened way earlier in Jesus ministry. So it can't be that either. Otherwise Jesus would have said, some of you already seen me come in Glory with the angels and give to man according to his work. Nobody seen this yet!

It can't be by just the time of events that Jesus was referring back to what he said in Mark 9 and Matt 3. That's impossible Eugene.

Here is your matching scriptures:
This is the event he is speaking about. Right after the 6 and 7th Seal. Unless your a confused preterist, this event is yet to happen.
And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
(Mat 24:30-31)

We have angels, we have Jesus coming in power and Glory, we have judgement, we have the judgement seat of Christ a exact match.

For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
(Mat 16:25-28)

The Word is spiritually discerned. Super easy things to see, are not easy for the naturally led. Pray in tongues about it, ask the Lord.
I could just tell you, but everyone would be like, Duh, why did I not see that. If the Lord shows you though, it becomes more real.

Be blessed.

Let's go line upon Line as instructed (Deut 28) here a little, there a little.
This is my point to Deborah about those commentaries, they try to cover explinations of all the scriptures, and I never met a man God has given this type of revelation. Even Paul said we know in part. If we are not 100% convinced with a pure heart God has revealed it to us, then telling someone something as if we know is dangerous. It's not pleasing to the Lord at all.

If we say I don't know, but this is what I am thinking, that is a bit different.

Matt 3:16 happened way before Jesus said later in his ministry Matt 16. So it can't be that and we would not mention it.

Mark 9:1 Transfiguration Happened way earlier in Jesus ministry. So it can't be that either. Otherwise Jesus would have said, some of you already seen me come in Glory with the angels and give to man according to his work. Nobody seen this yet!

It can't be by just the time of events that Jesus was referring back to what he said in Mark 9 and Matt 3. That's impossible Eugene.

Here is your matching scriptures:
This is the event he is speaking about. Right after the 6 and 7th Seal. Unless your a confused preterist, this event is yet to happen.
And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
(Mat 24:30-31)

We have angels, we have Jesus coming in power and Glory, we have judgement, we have the judgement seat of Christ a exact match.

(Mat 16:25-28)

The Word is spiritually discerned. Super easy things to see, are not easy for the naturally led. Pray in tongues about it, ask the Lord.
I could just tell you, but everyone would be like, Duh, why did I not see that. If the Lord shows you though, it becomes more real.

Be blessed.

So do you literally believe that their are some people living today that are thousands of years old? Please explain. Thanks

So do you literally believe that their are some people living today that are thousands of years old? Please explain. Thanks

Yes I do, you compare scriptures, and Jesus is talking about the time of the end, after the 6th and 7th seal. So, Jesus is speaking literally.
We have to always, always compare exact scriptures. We even have to pray. Some things in the Word being hard need lots of other foundation to understand. In once case, the Lord mentioned something to me that did not make sense at all. I asked him about it, but no answer.

What I did not understand is that I needed another 8 years of foundation to finally understand what He said. Had He just told me, I would not have gotten it.

Follow with me, since you asked, I'll tell you what he meant. We have to read the scriptures above also.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
(Mat 16:24-28)

Jesus said, who shall loose their life shall find it. Already we see Jesus view on death, is looking way beyond just your body dying.
Jesus is not saying kill ourselves and we shall find our life. He is talking about a heart condition, and our whole life, not our physical body.

Jesus said, There be some standing here which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man in His Kingdom.

In Revelation 19, we are with him, coming down, we see the whole thing.
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
(Rev 19:13-14)

Compare another Scripture. The Jews had the same question you did.

And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.
(Joh 8:50-52)

Did John die? Nope
Are you going to die? Nope.
We are no longer subject to Death. Death has no sting, no victory. Jesus was not talking about our bodies dying.

2Co_5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Paul looks at our physical body as some house we live in. We are not a flesh body though, we live in a flesh body.

Look what Paul said:
But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
(2Ti 1:10)

Now you know what Jesus meant about tasting death. Even the Jews questioned him about this.

Be blessed.

If we are not 100% convinced with a pure heart God has revealed it to us, then telling someone something as if we know is dangerous. It's not pleasing to the Lord at all.
I reckon I really messed up not spelling it all out for you Mike.
These eye-witnessing events happened at Jesus' Baptism and Transfiguration.

Mat 3:16-17 is a type of glory shown to the people earlier at Jesus’ baptism.
This was not the transfiguration of Mat 17:5.
Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

And though I’m of the opinion also that that being transfigured was a picture of Jesus’ future glory too, it was immediate at that moment to Peter, James, and John. Unless they were in some manner caught to the future as the Apostle John was to the Lord’s Day future (Rev 1:10), all this occurred at an actual mount there on earth at that time where they saw these glorious things.

Mat 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

Last edited:
I reckon I really messed up not spelling it all out for you Mike.
Mat 3:16-17 is a type of glory shown to the people earlier at Jesus’ baptism (This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.), not the transfiguration of Mat 17:5. While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

And though I’m of the opinion also that that being transfigured was a picture of Jesus’ future glory too, it was immediate at that moment to Peter, James, and John.
Unless they were in some manner caught to the future as the Apostle John was to the Lord’s Day future, all this was an actual mount there on earth at that time where they saw these glorious things.

Mat 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

I just explained it above Eugene. The Jews questioned Jesus on the same exact Question our poster had. How can men standing here not taste death, and still be around 1,000's of years later. It's right there in scripture, plain as day. So you did not mess up, you just posted scriptures that had nothing to do with what Jesus meant by a man not tasting death. You should have posted the ones that refereed to what He was talking about.

Be blessed.

I just explained it above Eugene. The Jews questioned Jesus on the same exact Question our poster had. How can men standing here not taste death, and still be around 1,000's of years later. It's right there in scripture, plain as day. So you did not mess up, you just posted scriptures that had nothing to do with what Jesus meant by a man not tasting death. You should have posted the ones that refereed to what He was talking about.

Be blessed.
:chin I reckon my limitations of the English language fail me to show comparisons of Jesus' glory in two different events. I'll not add to my ignorance by attempting to go further.

:chin I reckon my limitations of the English language fail me to show comparisons of Jesus' glory in two different events. I'll not add to my ignorance by attempting to go further.

LOL............. Well, we certainly have lots of scriptures concerning the glory of our great Lord Jesus. It could be I misread what the OP wanted. I thought they wanted to know How Jesus could say men could be alive 1,000's of years to see him coming with the Angels full of Glory.

the Jews asked the same thing.
And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

I think my concern is that so many commentators who commented on the verse missed this scripture, and people go to them to get light on scripture.

In Jesus and Paul's thinking, none of us will taste death. Now that is good news, to the "Glory" of our Lord Jesus.

Be blessed Eugene.

the Jews asked the same thing.
John 8 .....
Joh 8:51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
Joh 8:52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Ah, but there is a difference between what Jesus actually said, and what the Jews heard Him say. They misquoted Him. Jesus said never see death. They heard taste of death. There is a difference. All men taste of death, they physically die, ( at least until the future resurrection of those still physically living.)
Truly Abraham, tasted of death, he died, but Abraham didn't not experience spiritual death.
taste of death = physical death
never see death = spiritual death

To me this is clearly talking about literal physical death. Not literal spiritual death.

Yes I do, you compare scriptures, and Jesus is talking about the time of the end, after the 6th and 7th seal. So, Jesus is speaking literally.
We have to always, always compare exact scriptures. We even have to pray. Some things in the Word being hard need lots of other foundation to understand. In once case, the Lord mentioned something to me that did not make sense at all. I asked him about it, but no answer.

What I did not understand is that I needed another 8 years of foundation to finally understand what He said. Had He just told me, I would not have gotten it.

Follow with me, since you asked, I'll tell you what he meant. We have to read the scriptures above also.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
(Mat 16:24-28)

Jesus said, who shall loose their life shall find it. Already we see Jesus view on death, is looking way beyond just your body dying.
Jesus is not saying kill ourselves and we shall find our life. He is talking about a heart condition, and our whole life, not our physical body.

Jesus said, There be some standing here which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man in His Kingdom.

In Revelation 19, we are with him, coming down, we see the whole thing.
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
(Rev 19:13-14)

Compare another Scripture. The Jews had the same question you did.

Did John die? Nope
Are you going to die? Nope.
We are no longer subject to Death. Death has no sting, no victory. Jesus was not talking about our bodies dying.

2Co_5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Paul looks at our physical body as some house we live in. We are not a flesh body though, we live in a flesh body.

Look what Paul said:

Now you know what Jesus meant about tasting death. Even the Jews questioned him about this.

Be blessed.

Here you are talking about the heart condition not the physical body. So do you mean that people who are thousands of years old are alive in a spiritual way or do these thousand year old people have the fleshly body that they were born with? Do you think there are a few or a lot of people who are still alive since Jesus lived on the earth? Who are these people, does anyone know them personally? Do they look very very old? Wouldn't people notice if someone never dies. For example if you were a child and knew an old man, then 80 years later you are now an old man and this man is still alive wouldn't that seem odd? Do these people have special gifts?

John 8 .....
Joh 8:51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
Joh 8:52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Ah, but there is a difference between what Jesus actually said, and what the Jews heard Him say. They misquoted Him. Jesus said never see death. They heard taste of death. There is a difference. All men taste of death, they physically die, ( at least until the future resurrection of those still physically living.)
Truly Abraham, tasted of death, he died, but Abraham didn't not experience spiritual death.
taste of death = physical death
never see death = spiritual death

To me this is clearly talking about literal physical death. Not literal spiritual death.

Wow, so you say believers die. OK. have at that. Paul said death is abolished and into immortality.

One means see experience The other taste can mean just experience or tasting experience.

If that is the case, then.

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
(Heb 2:9)

Then you also have to believe it was only Jesus physical death that meant something to us.

Here you are talking about the heart condition not the physical body. So do you mean that people who are thousands of years old are alive in a spiritual way or do these thousand year old people have the fleshly body that they were born with? Do you think there are a few or a lot of people who are still alive since Jesus lived on the earth? Who are these people, does anyone know them personally? Do they look very very old? Wouldn't people notice if someone never dies. For example if you were a child and knew an old man, then 80 years later you are now an old man and this man is still alive wouldn't that seem odd? Do these people have special gifts?

We pass from death, to life. We don't ever die again. We even have family In heaven. We don't die, as Paul called his body a house, we just move when our body stops working.

So anyone that believes On Jesus has eternal life. They don't die, then get eternal life, it starts on the belief of Jesus.

2Ti_1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

If Jesus has already abolished death, then we can't die anymore. We were dead in sin, not anymore and will no longer die. This is what confused the Jews.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back