Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

OSAS The Truth

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Freegrace said -

This is confused. What does "Believing = Not being saved" mean?? In any case, it is not true. Everyone who believes HAS been saved. Jesus did not even come close to saying that one could believe but not be saved. But since your view has been shown to have already fallen apart, this is just more evidence of it.

Great. So we agree that believe = Saved.

So in the next verse where Jesus says -

13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. Luke 8:13

... who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.

JLB says - Believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.= saved for a while but departed from the element that saved [faith]. The person no longer has faith that can save.

Freegrace says - Believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.= saved with no change from original salvation

True or False?

JLB

What if all these parties are of OSAS group? They are still saved because they are Once Saved Always Saved. the only difference in heaven according to them is that they don't receive any rewards. If this is the true doctrine then every man will believe in Jesus Christ and will be fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals.....................
That seems to be the big worry of the non-OSASer. Worried that someone will "get away" with such sin. That such a doctrine promotes licentiousness. What they keep missing are all the warnings of severe discipline in time (being handed over to Satan for the desstruction of the flesh) and loss of significant rewards in eternity.

It seems to me the non OSASers discount the value of earning rewards in eternity, in spite of the enormous evidence in Scripture about them. I guess they are more concerned about the believer who seems to be "getting away" with something they don't want to get away with. So they come up with this "you'll lose your salvation if you do that sort of stuff".

Unfortunately, they don't realize that we don't maintain our salvation. God does. And He keeps His promises.

And His gifts (imputed righteousness and eternal life) and calling are IRREVOCABLE.

That ought to end all argument on the subject.

Yesterday you were taking the meaning of 'destruction' = death but anyways thanks for the change.
As I explained, there is NO change. Please read my posts with a bit more care. The INTENT of handing over the man to Satan was ultimately for his physical death, but not immediately, as you insinuated.

I also believe in painful experiences. The devil is always after us to take advantage of our weakness and we are protected by God but the theory which you stated yesterday that the body will be killed and the spirit will be lifted into heaven is not in line with the sound doctrine.
And God promises painful experiences for the disobedient child. Heb 12. The word for "scourge" literally means to "skin with a whip". Not real pretty.

To get to the heart of this matter one HAS to examine the source of their sin. They will find that source without ANY justifications or Grace.

OSAS is entirely too simplistic of a notion.

And that claim does not speak to the heart of the problem.

There were reasons why the RELIGIOUS AUTHORITIES failed in Jesus' days and those reasons remain to this day. Religious people suffer greatly from the SIN of HYPOCRISY. And Jesus saved His more DIRE warnings for those types of people. That would also be US as believers.

If you are referring to the incident "woman caught in adultery" then what was the conclusion. Jesus told the woman SIN NO MORE.

So your argument of people suffering from the sin of hypocrisy is bit weak. The matter is OSAS guys are self hypocritic because they give an excuse that every one is a sinner and my sin will not stop me in going into heaven and that approach is bit dangerous, don't you???

Even unbelievers rightfully view most christians as common hypocrites, thinking themselves as better than others. It's pretty bad when unbelievers can see the obvious.

Yeah when a strong church is not built then the unbelievers surely will point fingers at believers and especially like the OSAS doctrine which weakens the church.

Man doesn't need a license to sin. We are all sinners who remain so til the day we die. No one becomes sinless upon belief. Anyone who tries to justify the entirety of themselves in any theological construct will fail at the point where they try to justify their SINs.

A believer does need licence to sin. One who has tasted the love of Christ surely knows there is terrible damnation on the other side and they have the sin in between. A man cannot come out of his sins because of his weakness and every one of us do sin but we do love God and we know that what we do is not right with God and in case of habitual sin when the Holy Spirit convicts us we come out of it but when the OSAS doctrine is injected into a man's heart then the conviction is bypassed because he is guaranteed of his eternal life irrespective of his spiritual condition.

Last edited:
Lets define "false believer" The fact that a person is referred to as a believer makes him one. At some time, like the parable of the Sower and the seed, only one of them was a true believer, the other three were false believers. At one time they believed, then something happened and they became false believers.
I've enjoyed your posts, Chopper, but need to suggest a correction here. When someone quits (falls away from) believing, they become an apostate; one who no longer believes what they used to believe. There really is no such thing as a false believer. The Bible identifies "false brethren", which is a better term, I think. If someone is claiming to believe something but really doesn't believe what they claim, that could qualify as a "false believer", but it seems better to just call them nuts. Why would anyone claim to believe something that they don't really believe?

Second, to correct the parable of the soils. Of the 4, the first soil clearly did not believe (Luke 8:12). Of the remaining 3, there was germination from the "seed" (gospel) in all of them and plants came forth. I believe this indicates new life or regeneration. So all 3 were saved. Only the 2nd soil "believed for a while". The 3rd soil simply got distracted but did not quit believing, as far as what Jesus said about the soil.

When they believed, their name was written into the book of life, when they became false, their name was blotted out. There are many angels in Heaven who are assigned to keeping records.
As a student of the Word, you should be familiar with what is called "litotes", a literary term meaning: understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by the negative of the contrary (as in “not a bad singer” or “not unhappy”). Therefore, to "not blot out" one's name from the Book of Life is a litotes; an understatement.

If one's name could be are has been or will be blotted out of the Book of Life, then Rom 11:29 is a lie. God has, or does, or will revoke His gift of eternal life. I don't think so.

That seems to be the big worry of the non-OSASer. Worried that someone will "get away" with such sin. That such a doctrine promotes licentiousness. What they keep missing are all the warnings of severe discipline in time (being handed over to Satan for the desstruction of the flesh) and loss of significant rewards in eternity.

It seems to me the non OSASers discount the value of earning rewards in eternity, in spite of the enormous evidence in Scripture about them. I guess they are more concerned about the believer who seems to be "getting away" with something they don't want to get away with. So they come up with this "you'll lose your salvation if you do that sort of stuff".

Unfortunately, they don't realize that we don't maintain our salvation. God does. And He keeps His promises.

And His gifts (imputed righteousness and eternal life) and calling are IRREVOCABLE.

That ought to end all argument on the subject.

It's not about getting away it's about weakening the church. The OSAS guys want to drag everyone to God's fold by their deceptive doctrine and this type of doctrine is very famous in this last days. Just believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. And it doesn't matter what you do after. Some are at the extent to quote that "whosoever shall call upon the name of the lord shall be saved" so you just need to call and do nothing.

And when you say we don't maintain our salvation then it's like that we have no choice but that's wrong. John 3:16 says whosoever make a choice in believing Christ shall be saved.

Now abut your irrevocable comment our dear friend JLB has countered you but you don't buy his arguments.

[QUOTE="Please share why you don't believe that if someone believes, there are not saved.JLB[/QUOTE]

Simple,

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: John 1:12

Because many believe, Judas Iscariot is a prime example, but after believing we must receive, it's a process, first we are awakened to our sinful state and believe Jesus Christ is the Savior, then we must make a conscience act of receiving Him, ...who are the ones that can receive Him, those that believe, that is what this verse is telling us as opposed to the previous verse that tells us those did not believe, hence they could not receive Him.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. Rev 3:20

We hear Jesus knocking, that is the believing part, then we must open the door (of our hearts) and allow Him to come in, that is the receiving part.

May I ask you a question, ...did you receive Jesus first and then believe, or did you believe on Jesus and then receive?

I said this:
"Please explain exactly how OSAS "utterly fails"? I have no idea. Truth does not fail. It's the non-OSAS view that fails, given even the verses that they think support their view."
OSAS did the messenger of Satan in the flesh of Paul ZERO good.
I don't see where this in any way explains how OSAS utterly fails. Please explain how it does.

Have already stated that neither positions can justify the evil present with any of us.
Neither position is supposed to justify evil. btw, evil cannot "justified". It is present, but let's not think it can be, or should be justified. Maybe you don't fully understand what to be "justified" really means?

Evil can be explained. Man and angel were given the freedom to choose to either obey or disobey God. Lucifer got the ball rolling by his rebellion, and he deceived Eve into disobeying God. Adam simply chose to side with Eve. Hence, the entire human race was injected with a sin nature from Adam. Rom 5.

The disciples believed Jesus was the Christ. Even Judas believed. But that didn't change his nature. And no one received the Holy Spirit until after Jesus was crucified.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The OSAS belief is once you believe, you are saved, and even if you do not continue in belief you are still saved?

2 Timothy 2:14;
"Keep reminding God's people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those you listen".

If I believe in OSAS or non-OSAS, it does not make a difference.
It is not in the least way at the very essence of God.
Only in your own mind.
My relationship with Jesus is what matters.
Yet, some here believe that if they "screw up", they'll lose that relationship with Jesus. Is that trivial to them??

It does matter. Truth always matters. What the Bible clearly proclaims matters.

The basic answer is always "yes". Why? Because Christ died for all sins, so any sin that any believer falls into has already been paid for. Which is by grace, of course.

I completely disagree with you because it's not in line with the scripture. a man who can't turn away from his sins is not eligible to be a God's child.

Second, God's system is by grace, not by works. What the non OSAS believer keeps missing is that God's gifts (imputed righteousness-Rom 5:15,17 and eternal life-6:23) and calling (all believers are called-1:5,6,7, 8:28,30) are irrevocable (Rom 11:29). How do you get around such a clear statement from Paul?

Great doctrine but I have counter you in one matter. We are saved by grace and not by good works that's cent per cent true but bad works will not save you.

Last edited:
I asked you to take my response to your post like you asked me to do with yours, but this is what you posted instead:
Great. So we agree that believe = Saved.

So in the next verse where Jesus says -
13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. Luke 8:13
... who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.

JLB says - Believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.= saved for a while but departed from the element that saved [faith]. The person no longer has faith that can save.

Freegrace says - Believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.= saved with no change from original salvation

True or False?JLB
My post was extremely clear. Why are you continuing to ask what I've already answered??

The term "fall away" refers to believing, but you have morphed that into falling away from being saved.

And such a view directly contradicts Rom 11:29, which says that God's gifts (imputed righteousness-5:15,17 and eternal life-6:23) and calling are IRREVOCABLE. It appears you don't believe what Paul said about God's gifts and calling. For you, they can be revoked.

Why do you believe what is contrary to truth?

Last edited:
It's not about getting away it's about weakening the church. The OSAS guys want to drag everyone to God's fold by their deceptive doctrine and this type of doctrine is very famous in this last days. Just believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. And it doesn't matter what you do after. Some are at the extent to quote that "whosoever shall call upon the name of the lord shall be saved" so you just need to call and do nothing.

And when you say we don't maintain our salvation then it's like that we have no choice but that's wrong. John 3:16 says whosoever make a choice in believing Christ shall be saved.

Now abut your irrevocable comment our dear friend JLB has countered you but you don't buy his arguments.

This bothers me, I don't think that way or do I do that in the life of unbelievers or believers as I have been accused of in another thread, as I clearly stated in #33 as how we are born again, I'll give you a personal example of how I talk with believers that I meet, after reading #33 please tell me what verse the Holy Spirit used for your new birth (born again) and when was it, it what day, month and year, I'll go first, I was born again with this verse Is 40: 6-8 on/at a Wednesday night Bible Study at 9:00 in July of '86, now you answer that question and we can talk more, born again brother to born again brother.

In His Love

Yet, some here believe that if they "screw up", they'll lose that relationship with Jesus. Is that trivial to them??

It does matter. Truth always matters. What the Bible clearly proclaims matters.
If God has given you that mission, then go for it.

I am not a theologian, but the verses you quoted do not say that a saved person can lose their salvation.
You are reading that into them.
They do claim that a person who is grafted in - as we are - can be cut off for being fruitless and thrown into the fire. That is what it says, I can not see how it says anything else.

What is God telling you what they mean?

I have posted scripture in this thread to disprove OSAS, but it seems people don't like to discuss those verses that appear to support NOSAS. I have posted a couple of verses in John 15 that claim that if a branch that has been grafted in (gentiles) does not bear fruit, it will be cut off and burned in fire. If this doesn't mean a person, who was once saved, can be cut off, then tell me what it means?

John 15:2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
John 15:6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

First of all, John 15:2 is a very encouraging verse. It has nothing to do with throwing a believer into the LoF forever and ever. We should not be so quick to send a fellow Brother or Sister IN Christ to the LoF.

John 15:2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.

"He takes away"
airei~~142~~to raise, take up, lift

The Father lifts(encourages) the unfruitful branch off of the ground(So a second root does not develop), into better light so that the branch has a better chance to produce fruit. It is a well known technique in the vineyard.....One has to force the Judgement of the LoF for a fellow brother or sister in Christ in this verse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John 15:6 If anyone does not abide(remain in fellowship) in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned....This is the Bema seat fire. One has to force the judgement of the LoF for a fellow brother or sister in Christ in this verse.

1 Cor 3:12-15~~12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14 If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss;, yet so but he himself will be saved as through fire.

No one has ever addressed this for me:

If one can lose their salvation, tell me specifically all the ways one can lose it. And at what point is the line in the sand drawn for each offense?

If "not believing anymore" causes us to lose salvation. Is there a grace period for stupidity? Or do we lose it the moment we "Stop believing." What if for just one day we said," I give this up, it all can't be true." And we came to our senses the next day. Did we lose our salvation for that day only and got it back when we came to our senses? Do we have to do something else to get it back? what if we gave it up for 3 or 4 days. Do we lose it at the 3 1/2 day mark because we really crossed the line that time? What if for 2 weeks we stopped believing and then came to our senses? At what point do we lose salvation?

If habitual sin can make us lose salvation, How habitual does it need to be? Where is the dividing line? At what point does God say,"Thats enough, you lost your salvation!" Do we have a day to get it cleaned up,a week, a month, a year, 10 years? At what point do we lose salvation?

Lying~~ how habitual does it need to be? once every day? once every month? Once a year? At what specific point will salvation be lost?

I would love to see a sincere(but sincerely wrong) legalist write a book on," How to stay saved." It would be no less than 10,000 pages long and be in revision daily. It would have no end.

It's not about getting away it's about weakening the church. The OSAS guys want to drag everyone to God's fold by their deceptive doctrine and this type of doctrine is very famous in this last days.
Oh, yes, it is about your worry that someone will 'get away' with something. The only way eternity security could "weaken" the church is by those poorly taught pastors and other believers who are ignorant of the blessings of reward for obedience and severe discipline for disobedience. These 2 subjects are rarely taught today. That is what weakens the body.

Just believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.
Because that's how one is saved. And your view that one keeps saved by lifestyle is not found in Scripture.

Are you aware that false doctrine is worse and weakens the body more?

And it doesn't matter what you do after.
Here's the fallacy of your opinion. No one that I know ever teaches such rot. The Bible is clear how much it does matter how one lives. But it's NOT for salvation, or to maintain salvation. That would be works, whether or not you understand that. It matters because of rewards and discipline. That's the issue.

Some are at the extent to quote that "whosoever shall call upon the name of the lord shall be saved" so you just need to call and do nothing. [/QUOTE]
What one must DO to be saved is exactly what Paul told the jailer to DO: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. Period.

I've yet to see any counter argument by him. What post? They seem to fly by rather quickly here.

I completely disagree with you because it's not in line with the scripture. a man who can't turn away from his sins is not eligible to be a God's child.

Great doctrine but I have counter you in one matter. We are saved by grace and not by good works that's cent per cent true but bad works will not save you.
I thought you were of the non-OSAS camp. ??

gr8grc said -

First of all, John 15:2 is a very encouraging verse. It has nothing to do with throwing a believer into the LoF forever and ever. We should not be so quick to send a fellow Brother or Sister IN Christ to the LoF.

"He takes away"
airei~~142~~to raise, take up, lift

The Father lifts(encourages) the unfruitful branch off of the ground(So a second root does not develop), into better light so that the branch has a better chance to produce fruit. It is a well known technique in the vineyard.....One has to force the Judgement of the LoF for a fellow brother or sister in Christ in this verse.

The unfruitful branch is lifted up or pulled up out of the ground for the purpose of casting it into the fire.

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back