Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Paul said there is "one baptism"

No, none of those say spiritual baptism. You invented that.

Baptism with water was foreshadowed in the OT both in the story of Noah and the flood (see 1Pet3) and in Number 8: 6-8 & 21
“Take the Levites from among the Israelites and cleanse them. Thus you shall do to them, to cleanse them: sprinkle the water of purification on them, have them shave their whole body with a razor and wash their clothes, and so cleanse themselves……The Levites purified themselves from sin and washed their clothes

After his speech at Pentecost, Peter said to those assembled: Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. (Acts 2:38)

Ananias to Paul: Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptised and your sins washed away, calling upon his name. (Acts 22:16).
Washed away is apolouo. The only other time this appears in the Bible is 1Cor 6:11
but now you have had yourselves washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Then in Col 2:11-13 Paul says
In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of flesh in the circumcision of Christ; and you were buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

The point is that it is baptism (with water) that God forgives out sins and brings us the new life in Christ.

This renewal was also foreshadowed in the OT
So Naaman went down and plunged into the Jordan seven times at the word of the man of God. His flesh became again like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean. (2Kg 5:14)

And in the NT
“..he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit.” (Titus 3:5)

Yes, spiritual things happen in baptism. But that doesn't mean the baptism is spiritual.

OK, Mungo! You just keep trusting in that person who made your salvation possible when they performed a water baptism ceremony on your behalf. You can explain all of it to God when you meet Him, no need to explain it to me.

OK, Mungo! You just keep trusting in that person who made your salvation possible when they performed a water baptism ceremony on your behalf. You can explain all of it to God when you meet Him, no need to explain it to me.

OK, I understand - you prefer your opinions to scripture.

Sure, after you explain why Paul said there is "one baptism."

The context in which Paul mentions “one baptism” is in reference to unity; The unity of “one”.

The “one baptism” that unites all believers in Christ.

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Ephesians 4:3-4

That is the context by which Paul says “one baptism”.

We know by understanding the whole counsel of God, that Paul distinctly referred to three distinct baptisms in his letter to the Corinthians. He does this by teaching shadows from the Old Testament.

Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 1 Corinthians 10:1-2

Moses typifies Christ.

The “one” baptism that unites us “in Christ” is our initial baptism into Christ by the Spirit.

For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:13

In this baptism the Spirit is the Baptizer.

Paul also referred to multiple baptisms in the book of Hebrews.

Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. Hebrews 6:1-2

JLB

The context in which Paul mentions “one baptism” is in reference to unity; The unity of “one”.

The “one baptism” that unites all believers in Christ.

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Ephesians 4:3-4

That is the context by which Paul says “one baptism”.

We know by understanding the whole counsel of God, that Paul distinctly referred to three distinct baptisms in his letter to the Corinthians. He does this by teaching shadows from the Old Testament.

Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 1 Corinthians 10:1-2

Moses typifies Christ.

The “one” baptism that unites us “in Christ” is our initial baptism into Christ by the Spirit.

For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:13

In this baptism the Spirit is the Baptizer.

Paul also referred to multiple baptisms in the book of Hebrews.

Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. Hebrews 6:1-2

JLB

OK, now look at the OP where I explained those 3 baptisms.

Tell me exactly what you don't understand or need more explanation.

Please be specific.

JLB

I have to run some errands for the next 3 hrs or so, will catch you then!

I enjoy these type conversations and know we will have some great conversation!

Reactions: JLB
This is the "spiritual baptism" the "one baptism" that Paul is speaking of. It takes place the instant of hearing the Gospel and believing in His finished work.

Amen.

So what about the other 2 baptisms found in the New Covenant, water baptism and the baptism of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in other tongues? Paul said there is "one baptism."

Amen.

Thank you. I didn’t read your whole OP.

I have never seen anyone teach this except for me, so I went by your closing statement without reading your whole post.

Thanks again, JLB

JLB

I have to run some errands for the next 3 hrs or so, will catch you then!

I enjoy these type conversations and know we will have some great conversation!

Hopefully you will begin to incorporate into your teaching what I mentioned out of 1 Corinthians 10.

Moses = baptized into Christ.

In the sea = water baptism

In the cloud = baptism with the Spirit

Where does scripture say that a "spiritual baptism"takes place the instant of hearing the Gospel and believing in His finished work.
Hi,
The Baptism seems to be what it is washed in or with. As clothing in the washer is immersed in Tide, water, and the movement against a twirling object.

If Jesus was Baptized into death then I wonder if we are Batized into His Life. By being immersed in the teachings of Christ.

So I'm one that believes it,s spiritual because how I interpret 1 Peter 3. God is God. He sends Jesus Christ who is Christ Jesus the living word. Sense everything is held up by the word of His power He uses Himself(most likely the trinity) For there are 3 that testify in Heaven and 3 on earth.
Another reason I believe it Spiritual because it's the cleansing of the conscience. Sense the things are seen are temporary why would God use what is temporary for something eternal.

Another reason I believe it's spiritual is in the previous verses of 1 Peter 3. They would keep a good conscience and God would answer them.
The Baptism was not just for them it was for the light they would be to others.
Hebrews 9 may sheds some light as well.

13For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that their bodies are clean, 14how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself unblemished to God, purify ourg consciences from works of death, so that we may serve the living God!
They that worship God must worship in Spirit and in truth.

So looking at the ark story as a figure one may see that the ark represented Christ Jesus
Noah who prepared Himsef by heeding to God's commands Intered the ark of salvation and was delivered through water. Therefore Baptized into Christ and delivered from the world that perished.

Liken also to those who are told to disciple by teachings learners to do all that Jesus commanded and He would be with them until the work was done.

I suppose the one would know the work was done because they would Enter into life.

Amen.

Amen.

Thank you. I didn’t read your whole OP.

I have never seen anyone teach this except for me, so I went by your closing statement without reading your whole post.

Thanks again, JLB

Well! I think we are going to get along very well, JLB!

This tells me we have much in common!

If you can't take an honest look at your life and realize you can't keep the commandments of Christ perfectly, then you have serious problems wit God.
Jesus didn't die so I could keep on committing sin.
If that were the case, the only ones who were freed by the death of Jesus were the sacrificial animals.
We do not have to commit sin, and Jesus made it possible by providing rebirth through faith in our being baptized into His death and burial, and then being raised with Him to walk in newness of life.
A life of obedience to God.
The born-again are to stop "practicing sin" willfully as we did before we were saved. When Paul said, "how can we sin any longer" that's what he was speaking of . So was John speaking of the same.
All sin is willful, so if one sins one time a year he is "practicing" sin.
If you kill one man, you are a murderer for life.
If you tell one lie, you are a liar.
Thank God that old life ends at rebirth.
Rebirth from God's seed.
Christ made it clear that sin is not just a physical action but can be committed in thought. If it were possible for man to no longer make mistakes, then it may be possible to no longer sin. But that is not the case!
Mis-adding your check book is not a sin.
Mistakes are not sins.
Thoughts are temptations brought by the devil, and can be resisted.
Don't start looking for ways to defend sin...please .

Hopefully you will begin to incorporate into your teaching what I mentioned out of 1 Corinthians 10.

Moses = baptized into Christ.

In the sea = water baptism

In the cloud = baptism with the Spirit

I didn't get that far. Establishing the basics was my priority.

It would have come to light later, along with other things connected.

Jesus didn't die so I could keep on committing sin.
If that were the case, the only ones who were freed by the death of Jesus were the sacrificial animals.
We do not have to commit sin, and Jesus made it possible by providing rebirth through faith in our being baptized into His death and burial, and then being raised with Him to walk in newness of life.
A life of obedience to God.

All sin is willful, so if one sins one time a year he is "practicing" sin.
If you kill one man, you are a murderer for life.
If you tell one lie, you are a liar.
Thank God that old life ends at rebirth.
Rebirth from God's seed.

Mis-adding your check book is not a sin.
Mistakes are not sins.
Thoughts are temptations brought by the devil, and can be resisted.
Don't start looking for ways to defend sin...please .

I thank God that I know I'm a sinner saved by Grace. I am ever in His need of Grace.

Though it took years after my conversion to Christ, I have overcome the practice of sin in my life.

That is sin that I kept committing over and over with no regard of it being sin, until I accepted Christ.

I still make mistakes, I still see today what I did wrong yesterday and have to go to the Lord asking His forgiveness.

But by the Grace of God, I will continue to grow in faith, learning from my mistakes, until the day I go to my grave.

And on that day He has appointed (the Resurrection) the corruptible will become incorruptible, and sin will have no more to do with me. I will be as He is, perfect in every way, righteous and holy.

But only by His Grace am I found worthy of such!

I thank God that I know I'm a sinner saved by Grace. I am ever in His need of Grace.

Though it took years after my conversion to Christ, I have overcome the practice of sin in my life.

That is sin that I kept committing over and over with no regard of it being sin, until I accepted Christ.

I still make mistakes, I still see today what I did wrong yesterday and have to go to the Lord asking His forgiveness.

But by the Grace of God, I will continue to grow in faith, learning from my mistakes, until the day I go to my grave.

And on that day He has appointed (the Resurrection) the corruptible will become incorruptible, and sin will have no more to do with me. I will be as He is, perfect in every way, righteous and holy.

You see, Hopeful, the indwelling Holy Spirit is the down-payment on our salvation, we have not been completely purchased by God. Let me show you what Paul said in Eph. 1:12-14.

"That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."

Do you see that in bold? Paul is telling us that our salvation is not yet complete, it will be completed at the Resurrection. The indwelling Holy Spirit through faith, is our down-payment on our salvation.

In order to receive our salvation in full, we must hold on to "The Faith" to the end.

You see, Hopeful, the indwelling Holy Spirit is the down-payment on our salvation, we have not been completely purchased by God. Let me show you what Paul said in Eph. 1:12-14.
Agreed.
"That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."
Yep.
Do you see that in bold? Paul is telling us that our salvation is not yet complete, it will be completed at the Resurrection. The indwelling Holy Spirit through faith, is our down-payment on our salvation.
In order to receive our salvation in full, we must hold on to "The Faith" to the end.
Agreed.
That all being true, don't you find it hard to abide all those who keep saying "I am saved" or "When I was saved..." with no regard to the keeping of the faith till the return of Christ.
There is still a day of judgment coming, wherein I hope my name will be found in the book of life.
Why did you start your prior post that way?

I thank God that I am by the grace of God an ex-sinner who will be found in the book of life on the last day.
As long as your "mistakes" are not sin, you will be manifesting your rebirth from God's seed.
If they are sin, you keep manifesting you are a child of the devil.
It is written..."Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." (1 John 3:9-10)
And I will continue to grow in grace and knowledge from the starting point of being reborn of God.

Agreed.

Yep.

Agreed.
That all being true, don't you find it hard to abide all those who keep saying "I am saved" or "When I was saved..." with no regard to the keeping of the faith till the return of Christ.
There is still a day of judgment coming, wherein I hope my name will be found in the book of life.
Why did you start your prior post that way?

There is most definitely a day of judgement coming for the unsaved, but not for the saved in Christ!

Through Grace through faith in the finished work of Christ, the believer stands faultless before God, even though we are not faultless. That is Grace, something we don't deserve.

The saved will stand before Christ for their works to be tested. We will find out if our works pass the test of fire, as Paul told us. But we will not be judged for sin, we are in Christ, and God sees us in Him.

Some say this is a license for sin, but Paul clearly told us it is Grace, and not a license to sin!

I thank God that I am by the grace of God an ex-sinner who will be found in the book of life on the last day.

As long as your "mistakes" are not sin, you will be manifesting your rebirth from God's seed.
If they are sin, you keep manifesting you are a child of the devil.
It is written..."Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." (1 John 3:9-10)

And I will continue to grow in grace and knowledge from the starting point of being reborn of God.

We could argue your perfection by means of no more sin all day long.

But I have no time for such nonsense, just to be honest.

If you can't look in your life honestly and see that you are not sinless, then you need to take another look.

Reactions: JLB
There is most definitely a day of judgement coming for the unsaved, but not for the saved in Christ!
Can't agree with that, as Peter wrote..."For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:17)
Through Grace through faith in the finished work of Christ, the believer stands faultless before God, even though we are not faultless. That is Grace, something we don't deserve.
That's the thing, by grace the real believers can be faultless before our Father.
You hold rebirth in pretty low esteem with your POV.
The saved will stand before Christ for their works to be tested. We will find out if our works pass the test of fire, as Paul told us. But we will not be judged for sin, we are in Christ, and God sees us in Him.
The real believers are indeed "in Christ", but what percent of professing Christians are real believers?
The day of judgement will reveal that number.
Some say this is a license for sin, but Paul clearly told us it is Grace, and not a license to sin!
Real believers are dead to sin.
So they don't yield their "members" servants to it.
Rom 6:16..."Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?"
Remember, "no man can serve two masters". (Matt 6:24)

We could argue your perfection by means of no more sin all day long.

But I have no time for such nonsense, just to be honest.

If you can't look in your life honestly and see that you are not sinless, then you need to take another look.
As there is no sin in God...the light, no sinner is "in Christ" either.
I am not alone in here.

Back