Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Peter not the rock nor the first Pope

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The image of Peter walking around in a robe with a pointed hat and a staff in his hand bears no resemblance to the Peter I read about in the Bible, lol.
Man's perceived theories of a hand me down "religious" tradition that leads others astray from truth that only comes by the Holy Spirit teaching us all truths.
:shame

No, it isn't about the Trinity, but that wasn't the thrust of my argument. You brought up the Trinity, which came about because you deny that Jesus lives in us and only is physically in heaven, hence the false dilemma on your part. It's both.
Isn’t the body the temple of the Holy Spirit? Hasn’t the Lord said it himself that he must depart so the Help will come? How’s that a dilemma? The only thing I denied is a common heresy, that Jesus has already returned “spiritually”, which is more or less an implication of this “Jesus in us” rhetoric; its arguments also align with the talking points of “Jesus only” Pentecostal Oneness theology, which is another common heresy that denies the Trinity and promotes modalism. I called it out because I know what this would lead to.

Isn’t the body the temple of the Holy Spirit? Hasn’t the Lord said it himself that he must depart so the Help will come? How’s that a dilemma?
It’s a false dilemma because you are still denying the other plain words of Christ that both he and the Father would make their home in the believer. Yes, the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and, yes, he said he had to depart so the Holy Spirit would come, but neither of those preclude Jesus from also indwelling the believer along with the Father.

The only thing I denied is a common heresy, that Jesus has already returned “spiritually”, which is more or less an implication of this “Jesus in us” rhetoric;
No, not at all.

its arguments also align with the talking points of “Jesus only” Pentecostal Oneness theology, which is another common heresy that denies the Trinity and promotes modalism. I called it out because I know what this would lead to.
No, not really.

Either way, to bring it back to where the conversation diverged, we do have a direct line to God, so to speak, because God in his fullness indwells believers and because Christ's work allows it to be so. Christ is our sole mediator, not a priest, not a saint.
Look, I'm just warning you about some dire consequences of this "direct line to God" in practice. It puffs you up, gives you the idea that you can bypass the church and church leaders to interpret the bible alone, they're all wrong, only you're right, and you begin to go solo Christianity, and this perfectly fits into the American culture of entitlement and individuality. There're numerous nutjobs who claim they receive divine messages from God through this “direct line", they spread false prophecies and teach false doctrines, and simpletons fall for them. Jesus predicted this in Matt. 24:24.

Last edited:
It’s a false dilemma because you are still denying the other plain words of Christ that both he and the Father would make their home in the believer. Yes, the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and, yes, he said he had to depart so the Holy Spirit would come, but neither of those preclude Jesus from also indwelling the believer along with the Father.
But from what I've heard, this is Oneness Pentecostal's "Jesus only" false doctrine which rejects the trinity, that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are three manifestations instead of three distinct beings. I know their talking points when I see one.

Not the law, but the word was made flesh through Christ Jesus.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Jesus was not the law, but came to fulfill all the laws.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

I guess the whole Old Testament speaks of the Godhead. Lots of symbolism,

Creation
The fall of man
Oracles of God
The law in symbol form (lamb slain)
Prophets (especially about Messiah)
Jesus fulfilled the law
Not the ceremonies, but the (Royal Law?) placed in our hearts and minds.

Jesus came under the law.

Can I write a 1000 Word essay? No.

He bore our sines in his body on the cross that we might die to sin and live unto righteousness by his stripes we were healed. IP224

The law gives/gave the knowledge of sin he bore.
IMHO
Mississippi redneck
eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back