Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

"Pizza's Ongoing Life Thread"?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Looks like I'll head for Kingman, AZ for Friday and Saturday night. That gives me a chance to stop at Boulder Dam and then the next day, go to the Grand Canyon!

We also have a Crossfire Forum member in Kingman so I get to see a friend I'll probably never get to meet face to face without this triP!

After all, Herbert Hoover, the president the dam was later named after, didn't build it. The people of Boulder City built it.

That used to be quite a traffic snarl-up trying to get through the dam. I think maybe I heard they recently built a road around it.

Not sure they did - go look at Google Maps!!!

Anyway everyone - life is SO busy and I miss hanging around here, but our big project is coming to a close and I've been in Oklahoma - and it sounds like I'll be there a lot till May.

I've been caffeine free for 32 days and have been in Yoga three weeks - my back is LOVING THIS! ;) Over 25 years of lower back pain behind me and - from what I am feeling - a lifetime of pain free or ALMOST pain free living ahead of me!

I also had a date with a very nice lady from Urkraine yesterday. We went hiking and spent the day outdoors - I consider myself quite a hiker, but THIS time I had to keep up with her - not the other way around!!! :)
She's already called me - is that a good sign?

Smiles, Everyone.

(Oh, and my car is running fine - just probably feeling neglected as I've been away....)

I also had a date with a very nice lady from Urkraine yesterday. We went hiking and spent the day outdoors - I consider myself quite a hiker, but THIS time I had to keep up with her - not the other way around!!! :)She's already called me - is that a good sign? Smiles, Everyone.(Oh, and my car is running fine - just probably feeling neglected as I've been away....)
A date? Superb

I met her in my Yoga class, I'd gone to the advance class just to see what it was like and she kinda latched onto me. (!?!)

She's been here 21 years and has worked as a dental assistant and now works for a company that provides translators on both short and long term basis.
She speaks Russian, Ukrainian and English.

A Merry Christmas to all!

This was a special one for me. See, it's been hard on my heart to see my sister in that awful home. A friend suggested to me, about three weeks ago, to "... think in terms of what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T, Mark".

What I want to do:
I wanted to bring Debi to my home for Christmas.

What I can't do:
But I can't do that, she's in a wheelchair and needs a special van to get around in. The home doesn't have one, neither do I. She's fully paralyzed from the hips down, and it is quite a task to move her from the chair to bed, etc. They use a "Patient Lift" for transferring her, like this one:
View attachment 2873

It makes the job easy, but you see what I'm up against. They have one of these at the home, as well as a wheel chair. But how to get her into the car and back out?

Suddenly, it occurred to me: I own a convertible. :) I know that is not news to YOU, those who see my sigline photo, but it was news to me.

What I mean is:
It occurred to me that if I put the top down, it looked like this thing would slide under the car and we'd be off! So, on Craign'sList, I found one for $150. A friend gave me a wheelchair. Two weeks ago, I rented a cargo van for the weekend and went and got the stuff.

I get home and, since I never actually checked to see if the one at the home would go under the car (didn't want Debi to know what I was thinking, not that it would have been such a big deal).... you guessed it - the lifts (neither one, since they are the same model) don't REALLY go under the car that well............

...until you jack up the passenger side four inches. Which I did.

So........
Debi was here all day with me, I just returned from taking her back to the home.

It was a good Christmas. :)
And I have a lift and chair here at the Condo, so she can come over often!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but why did it take me so long to think of this?

It was SO EASY to get her into and out of the car.
I called the lady who made the suggestion to "think" about it just now, got her voicemail and thanked her anyway.

What a marvelous gift to your sister, to spend Christmas with you at your home!

And what a marvelous gift to you, that your sister could spend Christmas with you at your home!

Your thought-provoking friend is a true angel!

Yes, it was a gift to myself AND my sister, you sure got that right.

My thought-provoking friend is.... a lady I dated on and off the past year. She simply has no time for me - but she sure proved her worth this time. :)

Been traveling a LOT - to Tulsa. Tomorrow is the fifth trip since November. Life is way busy.

As to my sister, she's not doing well. Spent the past week in the hospital with ANOTHER UTI. She goes back to "the home" today.
Her attitude is poor, she is really hard to talk to much of the time and spends 99% of her day doing all she can do: Think, fret, worry and stress out over her declining condition. But there is NOTHING she can do to get better. She's getting more and more difficult to live with, well, to take CARE OF, that is. (I refer to those in the group home charged with that task.)

If I was in her shoes, I swear I'd just stop eating and kill myself that way.

But that's me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your road is not an easy one Mark. Hope you find a touch of comfort knowing folks care and pray for ya,. I see you as a blessing to your sister :)

I do hope she enjoyed the ride...Christmas time

And I've had her here twice since then. I know it helps, when I can get her out for a day.

I went over on Sunday, but she was not in any health to travel, went inot the hospital later that day.
She did go "home" today.

Thanks all.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back