Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Predestination and Calvinism

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Nonsense. I'm not willing to play your game.
And I do not appreciate being called narrow minded.
I have earned a BA and 3 masters degrees, helped found a Bible College in Russia and have taught Bible and theology for 20 years. I know what words mean.

Don't hold your breath. I have no time to listen to heresy.

And I not that you have avoided any attempt to provide a Biblical citation for your personal opinion. (YOu didn't get that on by me either.)

Where is the heresy? The video presented 10 different usages of the word WORLD. How is that heresy?
But, considering you have a BA and 3 masters degrees, helped found a Bible College in Russia and have taught Bible and theology for 20 years......You already knew there were many ways WORLD could be interpreted...Yes? And, considering you have a BA and 3 masters degrees, helped found a Bible College in Russia and have taught Bible and theology for 20 years....you must be right. Yes?

Then again the video...you didn't watch...you labeled as heresy. You do have rather amazing abilities.

Are you saying your theology teaches faith isn't a gift from God?

Bear with me...I'm trying to understand your theology. It's why I asked you to watch the video above to understand what "world" means.

Secondly, I think you owe it to yourself to watch the video. I think you'll enjoy it and gain a better understanding.

More side stepping?

If you want to keep posting in the A&T section, then you are required to post scripture to validate your opinion.

You just keep asking more and more questions, and posting your opinion.

This answer was to your question.

I posted a scripture with my answer.

From post 76 -
Please post the scripture that teaches us not all people are given the faith to believe.

My bible says... faith comes by hearing. Romans 10:17 ,
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Please post the scripture that teaches us not all people are given the faith to believe.

Everyone who hears the Gospel has faith.

Only those who act in obedience to what they hear, have a living faith that can save them.

Faith without the corresponding act [work] of obedience is dead.

That's why it's called the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

JLB

More commentary and no scripture?

World = Lost people.

Jesus came to save the lost.

Do you really need ten "nuances" to understand this?

JLB

JLB, why do you gotta be like that? You sound pretty arrogant. I was trying to show my fellow posters here the nuances of the world WORLD.....and for some reason you objected to learning the nuances of the word. I also said we should apply the proper context to the word and you also seem to object to that.

Then you smuggly asked "Do you really need ten "nuances" to understand this?" In which I say Yes. World can also mean a local crowd.

JLB, why do you gotta be like that? You sound pretty arrogant. I was trying to show my fellow posters here the nuances of the world WORLD.....and for some reason you objected to learning the nuances of the word. I also said we should apply the proper context to the word and you also seem to object to that.

Then you smuggly asked "Do you really need ten "nuances" to understand this?" In which I say Yes. World can also mean a local crowd.

This question was asked back in post 76

Only those who act in obedience to what they hear, have a living faith that can save them.

Faith without the corresponding act [work] of obedience is dead.

That's why it's called the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

Attacking me, and calling me names is a common logical fallacy that most here understand.

When your doctrine breaks down because it's not biblical, because you don't use scripture, you resort to attacking the person.

Please use scripture in your post's.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
2 Timothy 3:16

JLB

Where is the scripture that says everyone is given the faith to believe?

The bible contains verses about people going to hell. It's quite obvious they didn't have saving faith. They were not given the gift.

This question was asked back in post 76

You just shot yourself in the foot. if "Everyone who hears the Gospel has faith.".....then everyone who doesn't hear the gospel DOESNT have faith.

Perhaps you would like to reconsider your words?

Where is the scripture that says everyone is given the faith to believe?

The bible contains verses about people going to hell. It's quite obvious they didn't have saving faith. They were not given the gift.

They had faith. They heard the Gospel.

1 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. Luke 8:11-12

These by the wayside, heard the Gospel.

Those by the wayside are the ones who hear;

Do you believe that God sent the devil to snatch away the Gospel message that they heard, before they could believe?

You just shot yourself in the foot. if "Everyone who hears the Gospel has faith.".....then everyone who doesn't hear the gospel DOESNT have faith.

Perhaps you would like to reconsider your words?

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

Those who hear the Gospel have faith.

1 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. Luke 8:11-12

Do you believe that God sent the devil to snatch away the Gospel message that they heard, before they could believe?

Not all who hear the gospel obtain the gift of faith. Even you should recognize that.

Not all who hear the gospel obtain the gift of faith. Even you should recognize that.

Please post the scripture for your opinion.

Here's mine.

JLB

You even took that parable out of context. Why/

Luke 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
back up...lets see the context:
Luke 8:10 He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, ‘Though seeing they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.’

...God gives some the ability to hear and understand while other...they may not understand.’

CONTEXT JLB. CONTEXT

Please post the scripture for your opinion.

Here's mine.

JLB

Luke 8:10 He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, ‘Though seeing they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.’

...God gives some the ability to hear and understand while other...they may not understand.’

Not concerning the Gospel.

Maybe with parables.

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?”17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:16-17

Those who hear the Gospel, have the faith that comes by hearing.

These heard the Gospel, and thereby had the faith that comes by hearing.

JLB

You even took that parable out of context. Why/

Luke 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
back up...lets see the context:

CONTEXT JLB. CONTEXT

11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. 14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. 15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience. Luke 8:11-15

The context is Jesus teaching His disciples about the message of the Gospel, and those who believe, and those who don't.

Those who believe to the end and bear fruit.

Faith comes... by hearing.

Did the ones by the wayside hear? Yes.

Did they believe. No.

JLB

Not concerning the Gospel.

Maybe with parables.

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?”17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:16-17

Those who hear the Gospel, have the faith that comes by hearing.

These heard the Gospel, and thereby had the faith that comes by hearing.

JLB

Do I need to post the verse again in a bigger, louder font?
The truth is explained in the parable that follows it.
Do you understand what the truth is that the parable is explaining?

...As I have said...you are taking the explanation (parable) of the truth way out of context.

You asked "Do you believe that God sent the devil to snatch away the Gospel message that they heard, before they could believe?"

No. I don't think God sent the devil. I think God allowed the devil.

11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. 14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. 15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience. Luke 8:11-15

The context is Jesus teaching His disciples about the message of the Gospel, and those who believe, and those who don't.

Those who believe to the end and bear fruit.

Faith comes... by hearing.

Did the ones by the wayside hear? Yes.

Did they believe. No.

JLB

WRONG.
The following is the context....The verse occurs JUST before the parable.
10He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, ‘Though seeing they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.’ 11Now this is the meaning of the parable:

The parable explains verse 10. YOU on the otherhand omit verse 10 and insert your reason for the parable.

Where is the heresy?

Synod of Jerusalem (1672)

DECREE III.

We believe the most good God to have from eternity predestinated unto glory those whom He hath chosen, and to have consigned unto condemnation those whom He hath rejected; but not so that He would justify the one, and consign and condemn the other without cause. For that were contrary to the nature of God, who is the common Father of all, and no respecter of persons, and would have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth; {1 Timothy 2:4} but since He foreknew the one would make a right use of their free-will, and the other a wrong, He predestinated the one, or condemned the other. And we understand the use of free-will thus, that the Divine and illuminating grace, and which we call prevenient grace, being, as a light to those in darkness, by the Divine goodness imparted to all, to those that are willing to obey this — for it is of use only to the willing, not to the unwilling — and co-operate with it, in what it requires as necessary to salvation, there is consequently granted particular grace; which, co-operating with us, and enabling us, and making us perseverant in the love of God, that is to say, in performing those good things that God would have us to do, and which His prevenient grace admonishes us that we should do, justifies us, and makes us predestinated. But those who will not obey, and co-operate with grace; and, therefore, will not observe those things that God would have us perform, and that abuse in the service of Satan, the free-will, which they have received of God to perform voluntarily what is good, are consigned to eternal condemnation.

But to say, as the most wicked heretics do and as is contained in the Chapter answering hereto — that God, in predestinating, or condemning, had in no wise regard to the works of those predestinated, or condemned, we know to be profane and impious. For thus Scripture would be opposed to itself, since it promises the believer salvation through works, yet supposes God to be its sole author, by His sole illuminating grace, which He bestows without preceding works, to show to man the truth of divine things, and to teach him how he may co-operate therewith, if he will, and do what is good and acceptable, and so obtain salvation. He takes not away the power to will — to will to obey, or not obey him.

But than to affirm that the Divine Will is thus solely and without cause the author of their condemnation, what greater calumny can be fixed upon God? And what greater injury and blasphemy can be offered to the Most High? For that the Deity is not tempted with evils, {cf. James 1:13} and that He equally wills the salvation of all, since there is no respect of persons with Him, we do know; and that for those who through their own wicked choice, and their impenitent heart, have become vessels of dishonor, there is, as is just, decreed condemnation, we do confess. But of eternal punishment, of cruelty, of pitilessness, and of inhumanity, we never, never say God is the author, who tells us that there is joy in heaven over one sinner that repents. {Luke 15:7} Far be it from us, while we have our senses, thus to believe, or to think; and we do subject to an eternal anathema those who say and think such things, and esteem them to be worse than any infidels.

And, considering you have a BA and 3 masters degrees, helped found a Bible College in Russia and have taught Bible and theology for 20 years....you must be right. Yes?
It isn't necessary that my theology be right.
But having earned a BA in English and an MA in theology and having taught both subjects at the college level, I do know how to determine the meaning of a given noun in its context.
Then again the video...you didn't watch...you labeled as heresy. You do have rather amazing abilities.
It doesn't take any "amazing abilities" to know that R. C. Sproul is a foremost proponent of the Calvinist heresy.

And please post the scripture that teaches us not all people are given the faith to believe.
Quit sidestepping the question.
YOU said not all people are given the faith to believe.
Back it up with scripture or admit that you can't.

Back