Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Preferred Bible that you use?

I doubt the claim that the modern versions have errors that change important doctrines because I just don't see how that is the case from the examples I have seen used to support that claim. From what I've seen, the basic idea is still there.
Can you give specific examples? I'm not looking to argue--I don't know the subject well enough to do so; just curious.

Okay let me explain how this works. For an example I am going to the NIV. Here is how the changes are designed:

When the KJV refers to our Lord, it is with respect and reverence. Ex: "the Lord Jesus Christ", "Jesus Christ Son of the living God", "Lord Jesus Christ" etc. In those verses (Note: not in all but in most cases) the NIV lowers it by one level, or omits the words (with or without placing it in foot note), or changes the wordings. Compare these verses for example: Acts 15:11, Acts 16:31, John 6:69, Matt 20:20, 1 Thess 3:11, Rom 1:3, Acts 3:37, Eph 3:14

Scripture, its inerrancy and protection - Luke 4:4, Ps 12:6,7

Satan - Is 14:12, Lk 4:8

There are many many more. I cannot put it all down here. As I had mentioned before, it all has to do with what your aim in Christin life is. If maintaining your salvation is your aim, then any Bible would do. But if your aim to achieve those high places in heaven, then you need the KJV.

The modern versions does not allow you to grow.

But if your aim to achieve those high places in heaven, then you need the KJV.
As our place in heaven is preordained by God Himself, we cannot change that by the version of the bible we read. In fact by coveting a higher place in heaven than He has already decided, is it possible the covetous person may be "demoted" in God's eyes?

And he saith unto them, cYe shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, dbut itshallbegiventothem for whom it is eprepared of my Father

Matthew 20: 23 KJV

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread should not degenerate into a KJV Onlyist debate, so let's put a stop to it now, if you don't mind. If some of you want to insist that the KJV is the only bible that should be used, feel free to do so -- among yourselves, please. The rest of us will do as we see fit, but we will not allow ourselves to be "condemned" because we do not agree with you who are KJV Onlyists. That's all these discussions ever become, and someone gets angry, says things they shouldn't, responses in kind result and the thread gets shut down and sanctions are issued. So let's move on, shall we? God bless.

This thread should not degenerate into a KJV Onlyist debate, so let's put a stop to it now, if you don't mind. If some of you want to insist that the KJV is the only bible that should be used, feel free to do so -- among yourselves, please. The rest of us will do as we see fit, but we will not allow ourselves to be "condemned" because we do not agree with you who are KJV Onlyists. That's all these discussions ever become, and someone gets angry, says things they shouldn't, responses in kind result and the thread gets shut down and sanctions are issued. So let's move on, shall we? God bless.
On that note, this thread is simply about your preferred Bible version. There are other active threads that are discussing KJV-onlyism.

:topictotopic

As our place in heaven is preordained by God Himself, we cannot change that by the version of the bible we read.

Our places in heaven are not pre-ordained. If you are believing this you are yet to learn more. Our Lord does not withhold anything from us. All are open to us. We have a reward in heaven and that is not fixed irrespective of the person's behavior.

...but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father

This is like saying that the gold medal in a game would be given to whomever it was made for. We will see the person for whom it was made only when the race is over. Your understanding of that verse is not right.

Now here are some questions. If your understanding of this right then:

Do you know what place has been chosen for you?
Is God going to give you that place anyway? (even if you just saved and you stop with that.)

Our places in heaven are not pre-ordained. If you are believing this you are yet to learn more. Our Lord does not withhold anything from us. All are open to us. We have a reward in heaven and that is not fixed irrespective of the person's behavior.

...but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

This is like saying that the gold medal in a game would be given to whomever it was made for. We will see the person for whom it was made only when the race is over. Your understanding of that verse is not right.

Now here are some questions. If your understanding of this right then:

Do you know what place has been chosen for you?
Is God going to give you that place anyway? (even if you just saved and you stop with that.)

tohelp:

Do you really mean that our place in heaven is governed by King James usage?

I agree. I think I have voiced my opinions enough. Let's move move on now.

tohelp:

Do you really mean that our place in heaven is governed by King James usage?

No. I am saying that to get to the highest places in heaven, we need to become perfected in holyness just as Jesus is perfect. For this we need to imbibe the scripture in its purest form.

No. I am saying that to get to the highest places in heaven, we need to become perfected in holyness just as Jesus is perfect. For this we need to imbibe the scripture in its purest form.

Okay.... :chin

I see you said, No. But from your subsequent answer you do seem to be saying that you can't get to the highest places in heaven without the King James. (Unless I've completely misunderstood.)

Thanks for your reply, anyhow.

So ... we can be perfect in this life?

images

Okay.... :chin

I see you said, No. But from your subsequent answer you do seem to be saying that you can't get to the highest places in heaven without the King James. (Unless I've completely misunderstood.)

Thanks for your reply, anyhow.

Well then I guess my answer is Yes, that is what I am saying.

NKJV is not bad. I also use NIV but i prefer the 1984 version.

Recently i saw a verses in New English translation "in the beginning there was ALREADY the Word" (paraphrased John 1:1). I think it speak more clearly than other versions i seen. It means that God is already there at the beginning.

"All scripture is KJV unless stated otherwise"??? so do the Germans and Italians read the King's English? All scripture is Hebrew and Greek unless otherwise stated and can be translated into the language of the peoples of the world for their edification and salvation.

"All scripture is KJV unless stated otherwise"??? so do the Germans and Italians read the King's English? All scripture is Hebrew and Greek unless otherwise stated and can be translated into the language of the peoples of the world for their edification and salvation.

The preface to the King James says something to the effect that the King of England's speech in German or Italian is still the king's speech. The translators of the King James recognized that one translation alone cannot be the only 'right' one.

Well I'm not in favor of political correctness over the word of God.

I usually stick too King James Bible

But if I don't understand something I usually ask my wife who studied bible theology and been a youth minister for 5 years for answers, she uses her spanish bible, not sure what version it is. But she is well versed in the entire context of the verses too. if not I may use newer versions or direct translations from hebrew if its old testament.

Montainshield:

Is she a native Spanish-speaker, maybe? or perhaps she learned the language? One version that is used a lot in Spanish is the Reina-Valera.

Back