Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question about Bible Version....

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Louis J

Hello, and thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

I am currently reading the New International Version in conjunction with the King James Version of the Bible. The reason why I like the New Internation Version is because it puts the verses in a more modern English. The reason I dislike the New Internation Version is because it changes "....man" and "brothers" to things like "someone" and "brothers and sisters". I'd prefer a translation that modernized the text, without making it more "pc". Does anyone know a version that, while modernizing the text, remains more true to the verses?

Then there’s “no man knows the day nor the hour, not the angels in Heaven but my Father only” (doesn’t include Jesus in not knowing as he is a part of God) whereas in yours it says “even the Son doesn’t know” which makes him NOT a part of the Godhead.

Dorothy,

You and I are wasting our time having a discussion on Bible versions as you don't seem to comprehend that the only God-breathed Scriptures are those in the original languages of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. Neither the KJV nor NIV is God-breathed. They are translations from the originals, which we no longer have.

Bye, bye,

Oz
Too bad almighty God was unable to keep the ONLY inspired words of His available. Time and decay were more powerful. “The Word of God endures forever” is just a joke. It doesn’t endure a few centuries.

That is YOUR view. It is not mine.

But since that’s your view there’s no point in discussing the original meaning with you as for you, it’s lost.

One doesn’t need Greek or Hebrew. We aren’t Muslims who insist only the original language conveys the meaning. I’ve yet to meet someone who, by knowing Greek or Hebrew, understood the Bible better as evidenced by the power to live it.
I have. Many of them. Since Hebrew (like Arabic and other semitic languages) has multiple levels of meaning that cannot be conveyed in any other type of language. It explains why the writings of the NT seem sometimes at odds when using the same scripture to say very different things.

It leads to a lot less confusion. And if you want power to live it - confusion is your enemy.

what is your opinion called the gospel truth? curious do you have a copy of the original manuscripts

Jerry,

You are treating me like an idiot. I object. Of course nobody has a copy of the originals so we need to check with documents closest to the originals.

Oz

Actually, I remember when i was a kid seeing an old family KJV (huge thing) that had the Catholic deuterocanon books in it.

So yes, the older KJV printings had the apocrypha.

No, your old family KJV had the deuterocanonical books in it. That doesn't mean that all the older KJV printings had the apocrypha. It just means that your family copy had them, nothing more.

Our neighbor's dog has three legs, therefore all dogs have three legs, correct?

Last edited:
I have. Many of them. Since Hebrew (like Arabic and other semitic languages) has multiple levels of meaning that cannot be conveyed in any other type of language. It explains why the writings of the NT seem sometimes at odds when using the same scripture to say very different things.

It leads to a lot less confusion. And if you want power to live it - confusion is your enemy.
I don’t think power comes from knowing Greek because if we read the letters to the churches, they perfectly knew those languages and still living it was a challenge. Those who heard Jesus speak didn’t always understand and it was their mother tongue. If understanding Greek was the key university professors of theology would be the most christlike of all.
Actually, I remember when i was a kid seeing an old family KJV (huge thing) that had the Catholic deuterocanon books in it.

So yes, the older KJV printings had the apocrypha.
Well I know a Bible that had two book of Psalms and no Proverbs. Then there’s the “wicked Bible” where a “not” was left out.

D-D-W, if understandings the scriptures translates to therefore DOING them, then we’d see different people in the church. Let’s try an experiment. Let’s see if this is how men are in real life. “Forgive others or your Father will not forgive you.” That’s pretty easy. We all understand it. Does this we all easily forgive those who do us wrong?

I don’t think power comes from knowing Greek because if we read the letters to the churches, they perfectly knew those languages and still living it was a challenge. Those who heard Jesus speak didn’t always understand and it was their mother tongue. If understanding Greek was the key university professors of theology would be the most christlike of all.
Those who heard our Master speak did NOT hear Him speak Greek. He spoke Aramaic, an offshoot of Hebrew.
You cannot possibly understand the Greek in the NT without FIRST knowing Hebrew and/or Aramaic.
Well I know a Bible that had two book of Psalms and no Proverbs. Then there’s the “wicked Bible” where a “not” was left out.
Go study the history of the original 1611 KJV. The Catholic deuterocanonical books were all in there. (not the additional Orthodox ones)

Here are the features of this 1611 facsimile edition:

Features:
- Exact Page-for-Page Photographic Duplicate and Replica of the original 1611 King James Bible
- Word-for-Word and Letter-for-Letter Original 1611 Authorized Version Text
- Original "He" Edition 1611 Printing in Ruth 3:15
- Includes the Apocrypha
- Deluxe Edition: Bufalino Fiscagomma Imitation Leather Binding (over birchwood boards), with King James Coat of Arms Seal on the Front Cover.
- Super Deluxe Edition: Burgundy, Full Grain Genuine Cowhide Leather Binding (over birchwood boards), with extra-large spine hub-bands and gold spine stamping.
- Printed on 100% acid-free, archival grade, heavy cream paper
- Smyth Sewn Pages with extra heavy-duty stitching for page turning durability
- Enormous Full Size Edition Dimensions: 12 x 17-1/2 x 5-1/2" (when closed and including Slip Case)
- "Open" Reading Dimensions spread to nearly 30 Inches Wide!
- Weighs over 30 Pounds
- Protective Slip Case
- Translator's Preface to King James / Epistle Dedicatory
- 1611 Preface "The Translators to the Reader"
- FREE Bonus Leaf from an Original, 400 Year Old, 1611 Edition Bible
- FREE UPS Ground Shipping in the Continental U.S.
- The Most Authentic 1611 KJV Bible Facsimile in the World

Apocrypha Book List:
- 1 Esdras
- 2 Esdras
- Tobit
- Judith
- Additions to Esther
- Wisdom of Solomon
- Ecclesiasticus
- Baruch
- Letter of Jeremiah
- Prayer of Azariah
- Susanna
- Bel and the Dragon
- Prayer of Manasseh
- 1 Maccabees
- 2 Maccabees

Last edited:
D-D-W, if understandings the scriptures translates to therefore DOING them, then we’d see different people in the church. Let’s try an experiment. Let’s see if this is how men are in real life. “Forgive others or your Father will not forgive you.” That’s pretty easy. We all understand it. Does this we all easily forgive those who do us wrong?
Forgiveness is a CHOICE and not a feeling. If that were understood, a lot more people would forgive.

Forgiveness is a CHOICE and not a feeling. If that were understood, a lot more people would forgive.
If it’s a choice, it’s a matter for the mind, same as understanding is a matter for the mind same as Greek is a matter for the mind.

Doing it is a matter of character, not feeling. This is how one understands the Bible, by choosing to do as it says.

Last edited:
Those who heard our Master speak did NOT hear Him speak Greek. He spoke Aramaic, an offshoot of Hebrew.
You cannot possibly understand the Greek in the NT without FIRST knowing Hebrew and/or Aramaic.
You cannot possibly understand all Jesus spoke unless you obey Him. “Unless you forgive others God will not forgive you.” That’s pretty clear and no Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic needed.
Go study the history of the original 1611 KJV. The Catholic deuterocanonical books were all in there. (not the additional Orthodox ones)
What for?

Here are the features of this 1611 facsimile edition:

Features:
- Exact Page-for-Page Photographic Duplicate and Replica of the original 1611 King James Bible
- Word-for-Word and Letter-for-Letter Original 1611 Authorized Version Text
- Original "He" Edition 1611 Printing in Ruth 3:15
- Includes the Apocrypha
- Deluxe Edition: Bufalino Fiscagomma Imitation Leather Binding (over birchwood boards), with King James Coat of Arms Seal on the Front Cover.
- Super Deluxe Edition: Burgundy, Full Grain Genuine Cowhide Leather Binding (over birchwood boards), with extra-large spine hub-bands and gold spine stamping.
- Printed on 100% acid-free, archival grade, heavy cream paper
- Smyth Sewn Pages with extra heavy-duty stitching for page turning durability
- Enormous Full Size Edition Dimensions: 12 x 17-1/2 x 5-1/2"
No thanks, I already got one. Do you get a cut?

Has anyone read "The New New Testament"? I just bought a copy and it seems to be very interesting at first glance. It includes the translation of ancient writings other than the canonical "books", based on fairly recent discoveries.

And please, spare me the "it's not the Bible", "it's not God's word", "the church fathers knew what was authentic", etc. I want to know what you think of this well-researched book.

Has anyone read "The New New Testament"? I just bought a copy and it seems to be very interesting at first glance. It includes the translation of ancient writings other than the canonical "books", based on fairly recent discoveries.

And please, spare me the "it's not the Bible", "it's not God's word", "the church fathers knew what was authentic", etc. I want to know what you think of this well-researched book.

jaybo,

Please give bibliographic details of the book to which you refer. Who is the author?

Thanks,
Oz

jaybo,

If this is the book by Hal Taussig, it is recommended by the thorough postmodernist, Marcus Borg. I wouldn't waste my time reading it as its focus would not be listening to the literal meaning of the text.

It's a subtle book that will draw you away from the Bible and the Savior.

Oz

jaybo,

Please give bibliographic details of the book to which you refer. Who is the author?

Thanks,
Oz
A New New Testament by Hal Taussig

Back