Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

questions for those who quit believing

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said he was a "fundamentalist" Christian.
From my perspective fundamentalists have an all or nothing approach. They don't cherry pick. That's good in one way, but does it cause pressure? Burn out? Especially when forced to defend the faith against atheists. They find they don't have convincing answers. They deep down question themselves.
So it would be interesting to survey those who quit Christianity. I know many Catholics quit believing due to sex scandals.
My hope is that if we imagine what it's like to be an atheist, that we come back gladly to believing in God again. That something doesn't feel right. God does exist, and I never want to imagine he doesn't, ever again.

I didn't watch the video, so I will just go by what yall have said of it.

The Christian faith is not so frivolous that one can just say, I don't believe anymore. Our faith comes from God. We believe because He has opened our eyes to Him and Christ. (Matt. 16:17) A believer can't quit believing because belief is from God.

A believer can become disobedient in his walk with God. Thereby exercising unbelief in obedience to what God has said. This is the unbelief spoken of in (Heb. 3:12). It is not the unbelief that the atheist demonstrates.

If I as a Christian am persecuted and let's say tortured into confessing that Christ is not real and God doesn't exist, do I become an atheist? No. I just become a lying Christian. God doesn't listen to my lie. He didn't listen to Peter's lie who denied Him.

If I try to shake God, and say I don't want this Christian faith anymore, guess what? You can't shake God. I simply become disobedient and miserable. He doesn't let go. But He will bring things into our lives to bring us back to Him, which may not be pleasant. I am thinking of (Jonah) at this time. Running from God. And even after he came back to God, he was still angry with God. (Jonah 4:1-3)

God puts up with a lot with His people. But He does not let them go.

Quantrill

Especially when forced to defend the faith against atheists. They find they don't have convincing answers. They deep down question themselves.

I'm not so sure about that. I would venture the guess that a more accurate truth of it is, not that they lost their belief in God somehow, which would be laughable and impossible, but rather a conscious choice of that person to choose the world over God. They don't have convincing answers because they aren't even thinking about that, their thinking about their favorite sin so wont have answers ready, lol.

And I don't think that I have to defend my faith against atheists. Because the man with the experience is never at the mercy of the man with a doctrine, lol.

What do you believe in now?
We all need something or someone to believe in, don't we?
Do you have a feeling of emptiness now?
Do you believe in love still?
What is the compass of your life now?
Are you truly happy?
I saw this thread and thought it would be fun to take Humble's questions and answer them from my point of view.
My beliefs have changed tremendously over the years and changed slowly as I left Christianity. The gist is that I think if there is a/are diety(s), we as humanity dont have a consistent narrative about said diety(s). My views are a mix of utilitarianism, materialism, and humanism.

I think we need a motivation and a belif system about our reality yes.

Yes, I do believe in love.

See above.

I think happiness comes from experiences and contentment, but like everything else, there is going to be times where I'm not going to be happy.

Four scientific reasons that show atheism is not reasonable.
Good.
Except I thought the Cambrian Explosion was valid, but they Seem to have an answer for this...
Which I can't remember right now,,,sorry.

My main point is that something had to create the universe...it didn't create itself.

And I really don't understand the Kalam theory well.

Do you have an easy explanation?
Craig is a bit much even though I do admire him greatly

My question
"How can one have the Spirit of Christ in them and NOT know Jesus lives?"
Answer
They never knew Him despite what they once stated.

No one comes to Jesus unless the Father draws them. Those who listen and learn from the Father go to Jesus.
Your point is a common belief.
This is not the theology forum and I won't get into this on this thread, however I do want to say that the NT is full of verses that show a person has to will to remain saved.
IOW one could have believed in the past but has now lost his faith.

Good.
Except I thought the Cambrian Explosion was valid, but they Seem to have an answer for this...
Which I can't remember right now,,,sorry.

My main point is that something had to create the universe...it didn't create itself.

And I really don't understand the Kalam theory well.

Do you have an easy explanation?
Craig is a bit much even though I do admire him greatly

Everything that has a begining, has a cause.
The universe has a begining.
So something caused the universe to exist.

Everything that has a begining, has a cause.
The universe has a begining.
So something caused the universe to exist.
Oh.
Are you saying THIS is the kalam theory?
That's what I thought but it seemed more complicated.

Thanks.

Why do you think that?
There are a variety of atheists as there are a variety of Christians.
Sometimes I think atheism is a more courageous decision. If someone is willing to go through life without prayer. Still I think agnosticism is a wiser choice than atheism. Because none of us know for sure what is in the next life.
I'm willing to befriend atheists as long as they don't want to argue all the time.

Four scientific reasons that show atheism is not reasonable.
This really doesn't establish that conclusion. Mainly because it revolves around avoiding answer the basis of what establishes God. Pointing to complex questions that are not the root of a premise ( does a God exist?) Assumes the conclusion.

Sometimes I think atheism is a more courageous decision. If someone is willing to go through life without prayer. Still I think agnosticism is a wiser choice than atheism. Because none of us know for sure what is in the next life.
I'm willing to befriend atheists as long as they don't want to argue all the time.
I fully understand your first part. I was more posing the question at wondering to get more incite into their position.

I also get where you are comming from with agnosticism. Most Atheists I have personally met fall into the agnostic umbrella. I have met very few atrong/gnostic Atheists. I have seen clarification where someone will say they know specific god(s) don't exist, but are open to the possibility.

Don't you think we could know about the next life because Jesus made teachings on this and we trust Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back