Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

questions for those who quit believing

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully understand your first part. I was more posing the question at wondering to get more incite into their position.

I also get where you are comming from with agnosticism. Most Atheists I have personally met fall into the agnostic umbrella. I have met very few atrong/gnostic Atheists. I have seen clarification where someone will say they know specific god(s) don't exist, but are open to the possibility.
There are many general statements atheists make.

They think we're a superstitious people.
They think they're more forward thinking than we are.
They think we're a bit dumb.
Old fashioned...
God is no longer necessary.

There's probably more.

I fully understand your first part. I was more posing the question at wondering to get more incite into their position.

I also get where you are comming from with agnosticism. Most Atheists I have personally met fall into the agnostic umbrella. I have met very few atrong/gnostic Atheists. I have seen clarification where someone will say they know specific god(s) don't exist, but are open to the possibility.
See we Christians decide they are all a bunch of cynical smart Alecs. It's just not the case. Sometimes I think they are just trying to be honest with themselves. Whereas Christians can be in denial.

See we Christians decide they are all a bunch of cynical smart Alecs. It's just not the case. Sometimes I think they are just trying to be honest with themselves. Whereas Christians can be in denial.
I, can see that. I think it's the same as many liberal Christians, non Christians, and atheists throwing fundamentalists into the "cooky Christian" label. Stereotypes that are not representative.....exist for a reason. :tongue

As I'm discussing with Humble there is no specific Atheist declaration. Atheist in itself is just an umbrella term. Do you mean you have met or talked with Atheists that have said that?
I've met some that have said these things.
I've also heard this in debates on YouTube.
Some dislike the term atheist and agnostic.
They think we're all agnostic because we can't be sure of God's existence.

You?

Old fashioned...

There's probably more.
You describe worst case scenario atheists. Problem is there are some nice atheists. Respectful even. They are probably in the minority I fear. ?

Old fashioned...

There's probably more.
I think you are referring to a meme of the "Angry Atheist" something that other atheists make fun of. Similar to how I know many of my Christian friends do make fun of some of the " home schooled Christians" or the " cooky Christians"

I, can see that. I think it's the same as many liberal Christians, non Christians, and atheists throwing fundamentalists into the "cooky Christian" label. Stereotypes that are not representative.....exist for a reason. :tongue
Guilty as charged. I'm not fond of fundamentalism and therefore fundamentalists I guess. I've never been an all or nothing thinker.......that I can remember...

I've met some that have said these things.
I've also heard this in debates on YouTube.
Some dislike the term atheist and agnostic.
They think we're all agnostic because we can't be sure of God's existence.

You?
I am familiar with the YouTube Atheist and it's hayday back in the mid to late 2000s. That and reddit is where I believe the meme of the "angry Atheist" comes from.

I used to be very debate bro back then, but I prefer conversation now.

You describe worst case scenario atheists. Problem is there are some nice atheists. Respectful even. They are probably in the minority I fear. ?
Sure.
I'm not saying all say every idea.
There are also those that never gave God much time or thought and those that are just raised that way.

I'm thinking of two relatives that simply believe it's a lot of nonsense.

Maybe they're even a little worried that they might be wrong.

I am familiar with the YouTube Atheist and it's hayday back in the mid to late 2000s. That and reddit is where I believe the meme of the "angry Atheist" comes from.

I'm reading less these days because of concentration
Or lack thereof.

I find that I could learn a lot from debates...formal debates.

Of course all learning must be sifted, as the Baraens did in Acts.

Gambling odds..
2 to 1 Catholicism
4 to 1 Calvinism.
10 to 1 atheism.
20 to 1 fundamentalism
500 to 1 Scientology

I trust Jesus.
And the Apostles.
Also, keep in mind Pascal's Wager...
Seriously though. My money is on Jesus. He saves people. And I need saving.
Plus my parents were loving Catholics. So I wasn't turned off Christianity. And I choose to ignore the sex scandals.

There's a great "debate" between Dawkins and Lennox. If I could find it I'll post the link.
You might have seen it.

Seriously though. My money is on Jesus. He saves people. And I need saving.
Plus my parents were loving Catholics. So I wasn't turned off Christianity. And I choose to ignore the sex scandals.
Right.
The church didn't commit the sex scandals...
Humans did.
Even though some might be immoral,,,the church remains holy.

My interest is in how exChristians feel when they become atheists.
I would find it really strange not having the prayer option. Scary in fact.
What becomes their anchor? Their own mind? Science? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back