Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Route pics

I hope you can read that. if you cant I will post what I have read and also compare it to the front image of todays home. it hasn't changed that much. the skirting of course but the stones used to support it are still there. which is common.

Unfortunately, I cannot read what's written........... sorry
Friend, Charles Gifford is flanked by two unidentified women is shown around the 1920's on the porch of his historic home. As a nine year old boy, he had arrived in Vero with his parents Henry T, or H.T. and Sarah and the rest of his family in 1888- one of Vero's first pioneering families. In an early attempt to start the infrastructure here H.T. and other man cleared a ten foot path from Sebastian to Ft.Pierce ;this primitive road is what would become U.S. Highway 1.The Gifford house,the first frame house was built within what is now the city limits of Vero Beach, served as the first post office.When, in 1891 when H.T. Gifford applied for postmaster he had a petition signed by five people. Mail arrived via row boat once a week.It is Sarah Gifford where we get the name for Vero, which is from the latin word "truth". indian river county historical society.

not a perfect verbatim quotation, but its close.

Unfortunately, I cannot read what's written........... sorry
Friend, Charles Gifford is flanked by two unidentified women is shown around the 1920's on the porch of his historic home. As a nine year old boy, he had arrived in Vero with his parents Henry T, or H.T. and Sarah and the rest of his family in 1888- one of Vero's first pioneering families. In an early attempt to start the infrastructure here H.T. and other man cleared a ten foot path from Sebastian to Ft.Pierce ;this primitive road is what would become U.S. Highway 1.The Gifford house,the first frame house was built within what is now the city limits of Vero Beach, served as the first post office.When, in 1891 when H.T. Gifford applied for postmaster he had a petition signed by five people. Mail arrived via row boat once a week.It is Sarah Gifford where we get the name for Vero, which is from the latin word "truth". indian river county historical society.

Thanks!

Imagine only needing five signatures on a petition! That's amazing!

Thanks!

Imagine only needing five signatures on a petition! That's amazing!
at the time these towns had post offices. oslo, Viking, indrio, vero, sebestian, narrows, quay. fort pierce, now then to show what is now that is still around. quay is now winter beach, it up to a few years ago had a post office. indrio doesn't, vero beach has two,(beach side just south of the narrows which is where the refuge was at,)sebastain still has theirs, fort pierce as well. Viking? that is but a grave site. I have a picture of the path that is mentioned. well to show the influence of that path. I will post the current us1 and the rr tracks when flagler came through he must have used the road to build the tracks as that section of the fec parrellels us1 from sebestian to fort pierce. it just shifts from west of us1 to the east of it in st.lucie county. when H.T came here it was a part of Brevard county.

indrio , I used to live near that and its has no town today. Viking and indrio really are so close that one can say there were the same. I know in the 60s the rr would have flag stops for both.

It was fascinating to read that mail arrived only once a week.

When I was a kid, mail was delivered twice a day. Times change.

It was fascinating to read that mail arrived only once a week.

When I was a kid, mail was delivered twice a day. Times change.
well there wasn't a train then so it had to come from the narrow and they probably got it via steam ship. remember that was up to the train really the only way to go from Jacksonville to Miami. supplies traveled that way as well originally most settlers were on the barrier island because of that. remember all those coves I mention?

The waterways were important transportation routes back in the day. And they easily could be again in future.
We have dredged the lagoon.when the spanish came our lagging was freshot water not brackish.it had three natural inlets.with two more made inlets if high tide occured and rain.bethel creek and Sebastian inlet.

You really do live in a history-rich area, my friend.

Various places where I've lived in the past had gangsters, including Al Capone. No pirates, though .......

Back