Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Christians Keep the Ten Commandments Today???

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Brother Lionel said:
DarcyLu said:
Romans 14:5 - "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind."

Matthew 12:8
8 “For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.†He is the LORD of the Sabbath because HE IS the Sabbath!!
Colossians 2:16–17
Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Romans 6:14–15 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!

The Sabbath was never given to us, those in the New Covenant, Jesus kept the Sabbath because they were STILL under the law, when Jesus died and was resurrected He fufilled the law. How much more clearer do you need this?

So....were they under the Law as well??:

Luke 23:56
And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Acts 17:2
And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures

Acts 13:42-44
And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.
Just because Paul and the word Sabbath are in the same passages does NOT mean Paul kept the Sabbath. It does not say at all, not one iota, anywhere in scripture that Paul "kept" the Sabbath. Jesus was born under the Mosiac Law, yes, He and those apostles did keep the Sabbath.

glorydaz said:
Brother Lionel said:
Higher calling???
We're to keep Jesus' commandments....not the stone law that was given to Moses.
Under the stone law, committing adultery was a sin.
Under Christ's commandments, looking at a woman with lust is a sin.
It's quite simple to see if you set aside your preconceived notions.

Correct but that doesnt mean that the foundational aspect of the law (the physical act of adultery or murder) is done away with!! To say this is unrealistic. Jesus came to EXPAND the law, not abolish it my friend. Physical murder is still a sin along with murder by the heart. Do we agree on this?

DarcyLu said:
Brother Lionel said:
DarcyLu said:
Just because Paul and the word Sabbath are in the same passages does NOT mean Paul kept the Sabbath. It does not say at all, not one iota, anywhere in scripture that Paul "kept" the Sabbath. Jesus was born under the Mosiac Law, yes, He and those apostles did keep the Sabbath.

It says, "as his manner was" my friend. And the definition of manner is as thus:

man-ner, noun -
the prevailing customs, ways of living, and habits of a people

So, its clear that Sabbath observance was Paul's "manner" and his custom, just Jesus and all of the other Christians during their day. But to your latter point, the Gentiles even kept the Sabbath, my friend. It says it right there in the scriptures...

glorydaz said:
It isn't what I say, it's what the Word says, and if you live by those principles you fail...they don't go far enough. Living by the Ten is taking the lazy way out ... following what Jesus taught is a higher road some aren't willing to take...preferring to obey the letter rather than the spirit of the law. I'm not saying this about you, or anyone else. I'm speaking of the principle taught us in the Word about being in bondage to the law.... the free woman and the bondwoman, the law, which was only our schoolmaster until the law of grace came in.

Brother, let's get on the same page here. I am not referring to salvation or trying to receive salvation. I am asking if we should live by the Ten Commandments AFTER we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior. After we accept Christ, then we are saved and justified at that moment. But after justification takes place, should we live by the ten commandments or not?

Brother Lionel said:
It says, "as his manner was" my friend. And the definition of manner is as thus:

man-ner, noun -
the prevailing customs, ways of living, and habits of a people

So, its clear that Sabbath observance was Paul's "manner" and his custom, just Jesus and all of the other Christians during their day. But to your latter point, the Gentiles even kept the Sabbath, my friend. It says it right there in the scriptures...

Of course it was a way of living and a habit for him, he had been a jew his entire life! It doesn't mean he "kept" it and he did not keep it. He went to preach the NEW sabbath, where all the people were. Paul's Sabbath was Christ - he preached that very thing.

Sabbath Made For Man ...

Mark 2:27

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

RND said:
glorydaz said:
The Sabbath was given for man...get it?
The sabbath was given "to" man, not for him. Adam was a man, it was given to him.
Jesus is the Sabbath in which we find our rest.
Where does it say this?

[quote:1brya5p9]Jesus was sent so we could enter into His rest.
I thought Jesus came to expiate our sin and to die in our place not so we could violate His law.

Question: What day did Jesus spend all day in the tomb?[/quote:1brya5p9]

DarcyLu said:
Romans 14:5 - "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind."

Matthew 12:8
8 “For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.†He is the LORD of the Sabbath because HE IS the Sabbath!!
Colossians 2:16–17
Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Romans 6:14–15 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!

The Sabbath was never given to us, those in the New Covenant, Jesus kept the Sabbath because they were STILL under the law, when Jesus died and was resurrected He fufilled the law. How much more clearer do you need this?

It's interesting that no one before Moses kept the Stone law or the Sabbath Law. Not Adam, Enoch, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Joseph...none of them. And I did find a verse that proves it, lest some claim it just wasn't recorded.
Deuteronomy 5:2-4 said:
2The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day. 4The LORD talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire,
And, even more, we were never told to keep the Sabbath by Jesus or any of the Apostles.

DarcyLu said:
Of course it was a way of living and a habit for him, he had been a jew his entire life! It doesn't mean he "kept" it and he did not keep it.

So, at first you admit that it was his way of life to keep the Sabbath but you then say that this fact doesnt mean that he kept it??? Explain...

DarcyLu said:
He went to preach the NEW sabbath, where all the people were. Paul's Sabbath was Christ - he preached that very thing.

Where?? Where do you read that the sacredness and holiness of the seventh day has been transferred to Sunday? Because the bible I read tells me that God only decreed one day holy and thats the seventh one. Show me where God decreed Sunday holy like He did the seventh day?

glorydaz said:
It's interesting that no one before Moses kept the Stone law or the Sabbath Law. Not Adam, Enoch, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Joseph...none of them. And I did find a verse that proves it, lest some claim it just wasn't recorded.

Wrong....

Genesis 26:5
(God speaking) Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Genesis 39:9
(Joseph speaking) There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness (adultery), and sin against God?

You were saying????

Brother Lionel said:
DarcyLu said:
Of course it was a way of living and a habit for him, he had been a jew his entire life! It doesn't mean he "kept" it and he did not keep it.

So, at first you admit that it was his way of life to keep the Sabbath but you then say that this fact doesnt mean that he kept it??? Explain...

DarcyLu said:
He went to preach the NEW sabbath, where all the people were. Paul's Sabbath was Christ - he preached that very thing.

Where?? Where do you read that the sacredness and holiness of the seventh day has been transferred to Sunday? Because the bible I read tells me that God only decreed one day holy and thats the seventh one. Show me where God decreed Sunday holy like He did the seventh day?
Ummm.......we weren't even talking about WHICH day was the Sabbath and it does NOT matter which day you pick to be your Sabbath, you don't even need to pick a day. Just pick Jesus and you're good to go. :)

DarcyLu said:
Ummm.......we weren't even talking about WHICH day was the Sabbath and it does NOT matter which day you pick to be your Sabbath, you don't even need to pick a day. Just pick Jesus and you're good to go. :)

AND THATS THE PROBLEM DARCY!!! We feeble humans have the audacity to tell God when we want to worship Him as opposed to obeying Him and worshipping Him the way HE wants us to worship Him. And whats worse is that we attempt to justify this crime against God by misconstruing His holy scripture. And the scriptures that support Sabbath keeping are downplayed with excuses such as "well, Jesus kept the Sabbath so we wouldnt have to" or "He kept the Sabbath because He was under the law" or even "Paul kept the Sabbath but he taught a 'New Sabbath'"!!! So I'll ask again, please show me where God decreed Sunday holy like He did the seventh day???

Brother Lionel said:
DarcyLu said:

AND THATS THE PROBLEM DARCY!!! We feeble humans have the audacity to tell God when we want to worship Him as opposed to obeying Him and worshipping Him the way HE wants us to worship Him. And whats worse is that we attempt to justify this crime against God by misconstruing His holy scripture. And the scriptures that support Sabbath keeping are downplayed with excuses such as "well, Jesus kept the Sabbath so we wouldnt have to" or "He kept the Sabbath because He was under the law" or even "Paul kept the Sabbath but he taught a 'New Sabbath'"!!! So I'll ask again, please show me where God decreed Sunday holy like He did the seventh day???
:lol Brother, calm down!
See the difference is I worship every day, I don't wait until Saturday or a Sunday to worship. Every single day for me is a holy day because Christ lives in me. Worship is much more than singing a song to him on a Saturday. Worshipping is serving others, taking care of people who need taking care of, providing for those in need. My entire life is worship to Him and I do it everyday!

Brother Lionel said:
glorydaz said:
[quote="Brother Lionel":155dcywv]Higher calling???
We're to keep Jesus' commandments....not the stone law that was given to Moses.
Under the stone law, committing adultery was a sin.
Under Christ's commandments, looking at a woman with lust is a sin.
It's quite simple to see if you set aside your preconceived notions.

Correct but that doesnt mean that the foundational aspect of the law (the physical act of adultery or murder) is done away with!! To say this is unrealistic. Jesus came to EXPAND the law, not abolish it my friend. Physical murder is still a sin along with murder by the heart. Do we agree on this?[/quote:155dcywv]
Of course the physical part, too, is covered in Jesus's commands, so it's important we don't suggest we're obeying when we keep just the Ten. They've waxed old. And, I might add, the Sabbath was never in any commandment Jesus gave us.

Just as in the OT, the second stone law was put inside the ark of the covenant.
It's in there the same way a 9:00 curfew is within an 11:00 curfew.
All the law and the prophets hang on but Two.

Matthew 22:36-40 said:
Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
The Ten did not contain everything, though, so the higher command reigns with the believer. Which is my point. For instance....look at all these sins that are not in the Ten. The Ten are not for us....
Ga. 5:16-21 said:
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. 19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

DarcyLu said:
Brother Lionel said:
DarcyLu said:
See the difference is I worship every day, I don't wait until Saturday or a Sunday to worship. Every single day for me is a holy day because Christ lives in me. Worship is much more than singing a song to him on a Saturday. Worshipping is serving others, taking care of people who need taking care of, providing for those in need. My entire life is worship to Him and I do it everyday!

I do as well, but how many days do you keep holy as God commanded to keep holy???

Brother Lionel said:
glorydaz said:

Wrong....

Genesis 26:5
(God speaking) Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Genesis 39:9
(Joseph speaking) There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness (adultery), and sin against God?

You were saying????
Surely you're not suggesting those are the stone law...they weren't given yet.
You threw out my verse that said the Covenant had not been give to the fathers.

God has an eternal law, long before He gave the nation of Israel the stone law, He has revealed Himself to man through the WORD who was from the beginning, and through the power of the Holy Spirit. God spoke to man ...to and through the prophets. There's also the natural law and our conscience. That has nothing to do with the Law of Stone that Israel insisted on having. God speaks...that's a command. He hides His word in our heart...He always has.

Re: Sabbath Made For Man ...

vja4Him said:
Mark 2:27

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

RND said:
glorydaz said:
The Sabbath was given for man...get it?
The sabbath was given "to" man, not for him. Adam was a man, it was given to him.
Jesus is the Sabbath in which we find our rest.
Where does it say this?

[quote:2bkwinoh]Jesus was sent so we could enter into His rest.
I thought Jesus came to expiate our sin and to die in our place not so we could violate His law.

Question: What day did Jesus spend all day in the tomb?
[/quote:2bkwinoh]

Hey, brother....good to see ya. :wave

glorydaz said:
Of course the physical part, too, is covered in Jesus's commands

Where?? He said "but I say unto you". "But" means on the contrary so Jesus did nto address the physical part of the law. But does that mean that He abolished them?? No...

They've waxed old. And, I might add, the Sabbath was never in any commandment Jesus gave us.

Waxed old??? So something that came from a perfect God "waxed old"?? And the first four was never addressed by Jesus, do then avoid these along with the seventh day as well??

glorydaz said:
You make a mockery of something you don't understand.
I understand your position glorydaz, I just don't agree with it.

If you are content to simply follow the Ten Commandments, then be my guest.
Thanks although I was unaware I needed your permission.

It certainly frees you up from the higher calling Jesus taught.
I'm not freed from anything. In fact, the more that is given to a man the greater is expected of him.

Do you notice how easy it is to keep the 10 as opposed to what we are called to do? :nod
Hmm, funny I thought Jesus has His yoke was light.

Brother Lionel said:
So....were they under the Law as well??:

Luke 23:56
And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Acts 17:2
And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures

Acts 13:42-44
And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.
You're first example is of Jewish women who were accustomed to keeping the Sabbath.

The others are when Paul went to preach the Gospel...he was not following the Sabbath Law.
He was preaching the good news that they could enter into the Sabbath rest.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back